What did the Justice League shows do right?

What did the Justice League shows do right?

Well they sure wanked the shit out of Batman.

Who's Mr. Roboto back there? And Captain Sunhead?

in five seasons he was only in like dozen episodes.
They wanked Green Lantern and Hawk Girl's relationship harder.

S.T.R.I.P.E., and Aztek

The show would always be introducing new characters, which if done wrong would turn things into a confusing clusterfuck, but the writers had a really definite concept of each character's personality or quirks, so we as an audience became familiar with them right away. Then those personalities would lead to humorous moments or conflict accordingly, instead of the conflict determining the dialog.
You know when you're reading/watching something and any of the characters' lines could be swapped with another character, and it wouldn't change a thing. The writers on the JL shows were competent enough to avoid that.

It's something that really is the bare minimum you should expect from writing, but without pointing fingers, other things have failed to do.

Nice meme

I still can't name all of these characters. And who was the pink lightning guy?

2-3 episode self contained arcs.

I'm fairly certain these guys never showed up/did anything.

Giving people whyboners for Cheetah.

It ended

Ci-yu, or something to that effect.
Johnny Thunder's genie, JSA member.
Where do you see him?

Attention to C-list and below characters.
Ollie and Dinah.
Wally West.

Everything

The genie is called Thunderbolt

-Appreciation for source material
-Used story arcs but episodes could be easily self-contained and not shackled to the story arc
-sex

It taught me to love The Flash.

As a kid I never really cared about him. Like yeah, going fast is a power, sure. But was it as cool as Supes, Bats or GL? Not to my ignorant child mind, it wasn't.

Then along comes the Justice Lords arc, and I learn that even if he wasn't as strong or "cool" as some of the heroes I liked, it was WHO he was, not WHAT he was, that made Wally West a hero. It made him the moral glue that held everybody together, that kept them from crossing a line they could easily slip over.

Fast forward to the shit with Lex and Brainiac. Lexiac? Brainilex? Anyway, things are grimmer than ever. Heroes are down. Lex is winning. No, scratch that, given what I saw, he'd already won. And then... then Wally runs. He runs FAST. And in the span of a few minutes, he turns all of my notions of powers and strength on their goddamn head. He doesn't just beat Lex, he fucking DEMOLISHES him. He fasts so fast that he fucking vanishes to become the essence of fastness, and it takes the entire core team pulling together to get him back from it.

Wally West saved the goddamn world, showing more power than anybody else. All of this, coming from the guy I wrote off as just being the "fast guy". Now I'm an avid Flash Fan.

So yeah, I think it did a few things right. At least for me.

>What did the Justice League shows do right?
A M A Z O
M
A
Z
O

Aztek showed for like five minutes in I Am Legion, and helped to investigate i don't remember what.

Rocket red? Is that his name? Robot guy on the right. He sacrificed himself to save a city from a bomb I think. Didn't he?

Nope got confused with someone else. He did fight amazo though, which went about as well as can be expected.

They took their own universe seriously and made it realistic as possible.

Although some of these heroes are dated and archaic

I love the looming acting like gods drama through out the series

damn this nails something the show did right. Also I loved how they portrayed the villains. Lex vs Grodd was an awesome power struggle

Rocket Red was one of the dudes that fought Amazo.

I don't remember Lex vs. Grodd too much, but I DO remember something you just reminded me of. This cartoon was my introduction to The Question.

That one episode with The Question and Black Canary, where they're sure that criminal is smuggling SOMETHING into the country, and it turns out it's his son and he just wanted to be with his family. Even though he was a scumbag and a bad guy, he wasn't really a "bad guy" through and through. The notion that even a villain's got room for family and love in his heart.

Good shit right there. I've liked The Question ever since, but never really read his comics. Maybe I should fix that. Actually thinking on it, the show probably did the same for a lot of kids, introducing them to the DC universe and more comics in general.

I don't know if AMAZO was done "right" or not, but every other iteration of him that I've seen felt lackluster to the DCAU version.

His path from confused, exploited intelligence to an omnipotent being just hanging out at Doctor Fate's house and shooting the shit with his guests was immensely satisfying.

I still say the was the main factor in JL being inferior to JLU.
The stories ended up with a lot of padding, probably because the writers were more accustomed to half-hour episodes.

To me, the show nails Superman and Batman. They had plenty of practice because both Supes and Bats had their own animated series prior to Justice League. Still, they're both true to themselves in the show, and that's important, because Superman and Batman are the key to the JLU. Superman has all the power and all the moral superiority. Batman has all the knowledge and all the realpolitik. Between the two of them they're the whole Justice League. JLU got them both right, so the rest of the league followed organically.

Also, Jeffery Combs' Question is a masterpiece.

Not a meme if it's true.

Why are there two Green Lanterns?

JL/JLU got a lot of things right.

It was what got me from liking Batman (after just watching Begins and TDK and playing the Arkham games) to being highly interested in all of the other superheroes DC has to offer.

>The episode where it's revealed Hawkman is cursed to be forever cucked by his best friend and lover
Goddamn that was fucking terrible.

i miss it so

Showed us that it's easier to drop Aquaman from the League than J'onn.

Asides from the J'obb J'obzzing, MM was pretty good overall. Not entirely sure how everyone still trusted him after the Morgana episode, but it made sense for him to try to get his family back.

>Whelp, the rockets did nothing. Fuuuuuck

The Batman Beyond tie-in episodes. So schway.

Kids, do you know why every single character, possibly except Amazo, in those cartoons was vastly depowered from the comics? The DCAU is probably the weakest versions of these characters to exist. And do you know why? Because Timm and McDuffie loved Batman so much, and they didn't want to see him look useless. I mean, they even added a weakness to Kryptonians in those series that simply does not exist in the comics.

>No, Bruce, whooping cushions are never funny.

>muh power levels
High-powered characters are difficult to write. You can end up with DBZ absurdity where every planet destroying threat is greater than the last one.

It did way too many things right, it would be easier to say what things it didn't do right.

>I have to go now, my planet needs me

>great writing
>great style and animation
>great adaptation with changes that could be argued as improvements over the comic counterparts

It was written for everyone and wasn't made as a "cartoon for kids." It had that perfect balance between lighthearted humor and dark moments that created a show that made viewers feel all sorts of emotions. There was something for the kids, the teens, the adults. Everyone. An animated love letter and retelling of comics that everyone could enjoy.

It wasn't great, but it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it.

Third season was kinda shit, but still had its moments.

probably easier to list what they did wrong

>Wonder Woman

there.

>What did the Justice League shows do right?
They ended.

She was fine actually.