/lang/ - Language Learning

Never too late to start edition

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

cmed.faculty.ku.edu/ipafolder/vowels.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oi, bom tarde?

Richard Simcott is pretty fucking based but he's such an uggo, holy shit.

Is anyone going to attend any polyglot conventions this year?

What foreign TV shows do you watch to complement your studying?

He must have had a condition or something, he can't just be that strange-looking, surely.

He does have a wife a kids though. There is hope for us all

>polyglot conventions
What's even the point of those?

His lack of eye brows seems to point into this direction because this is so unusual it must be caused by some pathology.

circlejerking and self-promotion I assume

Spending time with like-minded individuals from all over the world :)

So what is everyone learning?
I'm trying to do Portuguese but I'm using Duolingo as a primer and it's Brazilian version which is sad. Talking to Brazilians from interpals on Skype so that's cool, but no actual Portuguese people to talk to yet.

Hey /lang/, I'm a Chinaman that recently moved to the US and I need some advice. I've been learning English from news sites, chatrooms, and other places and I've realized that I've hit a slump in my English. I can talk and speak as well as most Americans can but I'm having trouble speaking and talking more eloquently. A lot of people have recommended I start reading books to build up my vocabulary but I don't really know where to start/what books to start reading. Does anyone have advice on the topic?

Try college level/more academic textbooks on subjects that interest you if you're into science or history

That or maybe philosophy or classic literature

From your short post you seem to already write like someone with a firm grasp of and fluency in the language, I saw no obvious grammar mistakes, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't spend 10 minutes carefully checking everything and trying for that and you actually read and write and comprehend like that, in case you should have no problem just diving right into philosophy and literature and academia

Donald Trumps books, 48 laws of power, well cultured Anonymous
General nonfiction should do if it's not too specific

My step-Dad is Canadian born (leaf) so I was learning English from a young age. My main problem now is using English in a more articulate and professional way. I'm thinking more of the Francis Underwood in House of Cards type. Thank you for the recommendations though! I'm looking forward to reading philosophy and history like you recommended.

I definitely have learned a good amount of English from anons. Thanks for the nonfiction book advice!

I can't wait to shitpost more efficiently in Italian

B-But no one will understand you

don't shoot down his shitposting aspirations

Voglio shitpost sullo vostro filo ma sono ancora un principiante. Imparo da un mese e una settimana.

Russian, studied my declension tables today

I don't feel confident enough to try talking to slav penpals yet so I've just been listening to russian vlogs and shows and following russian people on twitter

Il filo è talmente pieno di disagiati che è meglio non capirlo

Maybe he's from Vaduz or something.

Voglio una donna italiana sudata.

Tarde is a feminine word, the correct would be "boa tarde".
Boa noite para você, como vai?

Anch'io

Iuj lernas Esperanton cxi tie?

And "Boa tarde" is a statement, and can be translated to "Good Afternoon" so there is no question mark. If you'd like to add "how is it going?" at the end, just say "como vai?" after the "boa tarde"

Any German learners out there?

Hier

Does any linguistfags have any recommendations on how to learn IPA?

wikipedia

You pirate Gabriel Wyner's(FluentForever) IPA anki deck.

To anyone learning Spanish, remember there's formal and informal.

Formal
>usted no me ha mostrado sus papeles
>disculpe, ¿me podría dar la hora?
>Por favor, muéstreme su mano

Informal
>tu no me has mostrado tus papeles
>disculpa, ¿me podrías dar la hora?
>Por favor, muéstrame tu mano

The verb conjugation changes.

Same in French, Russian, and German.

If I'm learning Japanese should I focus on grammar, vocabulary, or kanji? I assume it's some sort of mix but I'm not sure where my main priorities should be.

I already can read hiragana and katakana.

just look at the chart and practice transcribing.
cmed.faculty.ku.edu/ipafolder/vowels.html
that should help with (english) diphthongs.

Vocab, use anki and core2k/6k, you'll be learning vocab + kanji at the same time.
Start with grammar and study together with vocab.

Don't focus on learning what each Kanji means by itself, or their readings or that shit just yet. It's not necessary to learn how to draw them yet, or their radicals and all that junk. For now, you want to learn how to build basic sentences with grammar and pick up vocab.

oh and for every sound have an example word for the sound, I remember [i] as the vowel sound in 'beet'

Ich auch

can anyone explain this image?
I have so much trouble with all those little words that seem to mean anything and everything.

Has anyone learned Polish with no previous knowledge? How is it going?

>currently learning German
>taking breaks from German by learning French
>realise that both these languages will soon be superseded by Arabic
>...
>mfw remembering Switzerland exists

wew, this was almost a complete waste of time

Can a German bro explain the different contexts and uses of the word machen? I've seen it used in so many different ways that it's hard to comprehend.

Don't waste time on Esperanto. Learn Sup Forumslang.

Hi ha parlants Catalans fluid o nadius qui venen aqui? Em decebo a l'ajuda que he estat rebent d'aquest lloc..

yeah I'm trying to, i'm still early on, it's difficult but I'm trying to stay focused