Essential Los Angeles films

>essential Los Angeles films
Rec me some classic LA movies. The two that resonated with me most are Altman's The Long Goodbye and PTA's Inherent Vice.

That scifi movie was fun.

God I hated Elliot Gould in TLG

Miracle Mile

whatever it is you didn't like, surely he made up for it by lighting a cigarette on a random surface in literally every shot of the movie.

I'll give you that one, him doing it immediately as he woke up at the beginning did make me kek

On the top of my head :

San Andreas
World Invasion : Battle Los Angeles

The Driver, not the trite piece of shit that ripped it off [Drive].

Dirty Harry

boyz n the hood
blood in blood out
chinatown
menace II society

Falling down

>PTA's Inherent Vice
How is this a classic? It came out like a year ago.

And off the top of my head in terms of actual classics:
>Mulholland Drive
>Chinatown

Terminator 2

Chinatown.

Friday

LA Confidential

If you ranked every film ITT, this movie is #1.

Anyone who says differently is pure pleb.

Rebel Without A Cause
Chinatown
Falling Down
They Live
Mulholland Drive
American History X
Training Day
Drive
Lala Land

trash
kino

Speed

That's actually a pretty decent list, though "They Live" isn't really tied to LA, it could take place anywhere.

The rest are uniquely LA, it's true.

Drive

kys, faggot memer

If you haven't seen it, this movie will change your life.

It's like the Dark Knight for people who hate capeshit, except (a) they did it twenty years ago, and (b) even if you like capeshit, it'll blow your fucking hair back.

Greatest shootout put to film. Ever.

Do 'Hollywood' movies count? If they do, The Player (1992) is pretty good.

anything michael mann

Heat

Repo Man
While Repo Man never really talks about its setting, it nails the griminess, 10/10

L.A PLAYS ITSELF

But Mulholland Drive and Chinatown are both better.

Manhunter

First fast and furious
Boys in the hood
Are pure hard LA kino

To Live and Die in LA

Collateral.
Nightcrawler.

Jackie Brown

Chinatown is arguable, since they're different genres.

>Mulholland Drive
Fuck you.

LA confidential

Sunset Boulevard

>Fuck you.
Why?

Basically all of Paul Thomas Anderson's work set in the the San Fernando Valley. Especially Boogie Nights which makes Los Angeles seem so magical.

>you'll never live in a house like his

fuck

Tangerine

op here. Chinatown is a great movie but I don't feel like the setting really plays a character.

Drive and Lala land are far from essential LA movies, more like parodies of essential LA movies.

this is high on my list. any more recs? I feel like 70s new hollywood shit is exactly what I'm looking for

If I have to explain it to you, there's no point. You can't use logic and reason to make someone have better taste.

Just like you can't use logic and reason to explain sex. Mulholland=handy over the pants / Heat = Consensual buttsex while her sister plays with your balls.

If I have to explain it to you, there's no point. You can't use logic and reason to make someone have better taste.

Just like you can't use logic and reason to explain sex. Mulholland=handy over the pants / Heat = Consensual buttsex while her sister plays with your balls.

>I can't explain why
Ok

this is the most virgin thing I have ever read

Predator 2

To Live and Die in L.A.
Ed Wood
Shampoo
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Body Double

seconding this

me too
though, i really liked him in altman's MASH and california split, maybe because he has another actor to balance him out

Heat

For TV Bosch is really good. Nice noir feel to it.

Chinatown is a hardboiled detective story in the vein of Raymond Chandler's Big Sleep which is an essential LA-core novel and not to mention the whole mystery is about water supply which is a very LA problem.

As for Drive and Lala Land, Los Angeles is a itself a living parody so I stand by them. I suspect a lot of anons on Sup Forums are turned off by them just because they're recent, successful and mainstream.

Rush Hour