youtube.com/watch?v=bwqJ9IXn4WU
youtube.com/watch?v=-6YMov3fYvs
deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Brethren_Moons
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dagon

>fuck dagon!
>Yes, and their children will be immortal~
>tfw no octopus waifu to live forever with

There are good movies based on Lovecraft's works but I don't think there are any good lovecraftian movies.

In The Mouth Of Madness

youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M

youtube.com/watch?v=OksWHWBBgnQ

youtube.com/watch?v=QA1WCp8hGB0

This

Is there a .webm of the father and mute son shooting the shit out of the Lovecraft monster with a 12ga?
That was my favorite bit in the film. Protag is down and crazy otherwordly shit is going on,
then they just bust in with a shotgun, piss it off, and run away.

That ending

The protagonist of the novel brings Them into reality with him....yeah......

This is the wrong webm i think... I remember octopus waifu from Dagon and that's not her...

great ending

Congrats, you've seen the best 15 seconds of the movie. There's maybe another 3-5 minutes that isn't completely terrible. AVOID THE VOID

None lovecraft is garbage

What movie?

>I remember octopus waifu

The Void (2016/2017)
Don't be fooled by the webm, its one of the only decent scenes in the film
there's plenty practical effects but pretty much the whole budget is in four or five scenes, the rest is just C-grade acting and Generic Hospital Set. 25
If you're a hardcore fan of practical gore/body horror check it out though

didnt john carpenter do a bunch, like prince of darkness

I don't get the hate
It delivered about everything one could expect from a crazy cult doing lovecraft things movie

The marketing shills hyping this for almost 6 months is what killed it. It failed to deliver on every count except featuring practicals.

The Thing and Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness are perhaps his most Lovecraftian films, and also, coincidentally, Carpenter's self-styled 'Apocalypse Trilogy'.

And I also think it really managed to capture the feeling of hopelessness
The mute guy and the old guy were random af though and felt forced, especially their relationship

As someone whose actually read most of Lovecraft and all of Alan Moores Lovecraft shit, I can tell you Alien Covenant actually has some great Lovecraft horror and themes. David's "Lonely Perfection" is Lovecraft style hoyay incarnate.

>Alan Moores Lovecraft shit
What's this have to do with anything? It's lovecraftian, not moorelovecraftian.

The term "lovecraftian" refers usually to the notion of unknown eldritch horror that screws up with the mind more that what it really shows... ancient engineers, giger mystery architecture and discovering lost civilizations that people can't begin to comprehend falls right under the term. So yeah, most of the Alien mythos is "lovecraftian"

It's amazing how that movie and its remake both jump the shark in almost exactly the same place.

The "incomprehensible" horror is more cerebral in moorelovecraftian mythos. Because really eldritch horrors get old, hell they even become cute. some of these fucks are adorable.

But things like having your mind placed in the body of a 14 year old girl, then being raped by your own body will never become less horrifying or disturbingly hot.

So moores take really fleshes out more of the visual and direct aspects of the horrors without leaving it up to more of our imagination? Would you recommend some?

that sounds way more hot than horrifying senpai

You got it backwards faggot

anyway Evil Dead

more like evil dubs

uhh I'm pretty sure Moore does the opposite of what you say. Not that there isn't visual horror. You should read all of his lovecraft stuff, neonomicon, providence, AFTER you've read most of lovecrafts stuff, or else Moores work won't make any sense. Yeah its fucking pretentious like that.

that's the point dunkbass. Just like any true Lovecraftian horror there is a perverse sexuality to it. Think Facehuggers, or think farmhouse tentacle rape that fuses everyone who is raped together. Or think being swallowed hole by Cthullu

Stranger Things Season 2

>dagon
>evil dead 2
>army of darkness
>Cthulhu
>from beyond
>re-animator
>the thing
>prince of darkness
>in the mouth of madness
>lifeforce
>the mist
>hellraiser
>cabin in the woods
>black mountain side
>dark city
>possession
>spring
>uzumaki
>die fabre
>banshee chapter
>sunshine
>dark waters
>the ninth gate
>existenz
>the shrine
>they live
>videodrome

thank you

youtube.com/watch?v=4yYoEShoNzk

The engineers are disappointing as heck in Prometheus/Covenant, though.

Kill list had that sort of vibe, a lingering sense of dread in the background, maybe a bit too much of a payoff but still.

>uzumaki
Don't bother watching the movie pls, it's not nearly as good as the Manga, even though they catch some of the visuals pretty nicely

>Shill List
Go away

?

The Thing.
The Blob
The Ninth Gate

I wouldn't call The Blob lovecraftian at all. Like, the titular creature is a freaky government experiment and it's less about incomprehensible shit and more about good body horror.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3wARd7YJ50

It is literally the definition of cosmic horror. Something unknown crashing into earth and giving no fuck about destroying any and all life. The fact that it was slightly sentient is pretty legit as well

That's literally not what cosmic horror is, which is discovering how small and insignificant humanity is as a whole and that we're at a mercy of some incomprehensibly alien shits who give less fucks about us than we do about ants.

The Blob is about scientists fucking up and creating an evil monster, who is then defeated by a teenager with an attitude.

The Ninth Gate is Satankino but wouldn't say it was Eldrich though.

>which is discovering how small and insignificant humanity is as a whole and that we're at a mercy of some incomprehensibly alien shits who give less fucks about us than we do about ants.
I think you're sort of right but mostly wrong. The blob came to earth to consume fucking everything and did so without any regard for species, class, or phylum. It payed no never mind to humans or anything else. How else would you really explain to the layman an object from space crashing into earth and them consuming anything in its wake like a fucking black hole? The ceaseless hunger and lack of empathy is what makes it so foreign to earth. Even non-sentient like dogs cats and other pets seem to have some degree of empathy. The notion that this would consume everything like a virus is spooky as dicks

It's literally the shadow of innsmouth without the invisible monster, though. Same cultist behavior and everything.

>Even non-sentient like dogs cats and other pets seem to have some degree of empathy.
Go smaller - bacteria, viruses, insects.

The blob is relatively easily defeated, and the structureof the movie as a whole is a creature feature. It's a pretty fun movie, despite the horrific violence, I mean the human subplot is what, rebellious kid on a bike winning a cute girl's heart and using his bike skills to defeat the monster? Not every piece of fiction about evil alien invaders is lovecraftian.

Compare it to Colour Out of Space, my favourite Lovecraft's story. Nothing actually happens during it, the protag just listens to some senile old fuck reciting a story about a happening in their bumfuck nowhere town, but the whole story is permeated by the sense of unease. The degeneration around the farm, the weird noises from the attic, the kid lost in the well. There's no confrontation with the monster (monster?), because there's no possibility of confronting it. It's just some freaky thing out of vast coldness of space that doesn't play by our rules. There's no war or victory against it. The mood is so perfect in that story.

>Colour Out of Space
Arguably one of the lesser Lovecraftian stories in his pantheon. It's right up there with Rats in the Walls. Technically aggressive but very fucking isolated.

>expecting someone who uses the word eldritch to actually know what Lovecraft is like

When people say eldritch they mean tentacle aesthetic, not actual lovecraft.

this isnt dagon, this is from the void

Lovecraft referencing his mythology in his works is cute, but it was never his main appeal to me.

Probably his most "world-buildy" story is Call of Cthulhu, and that has an outright weak third act, second one is kind of shaky as well, with that cultist fuck just spewing a bunch of exposition on the protag. The first act is really good though, the premise of people all over the world seeing the same weird dream is cool and unsettling.

I'd take a good isolated story over that, thanks.

My second favourite Lovecraft story is Dream-Quest, and it isn't even any kind of horror, just straight up fantasy stuff with sentient cats fighting moon frogmen.

>I'd take a good isolated story over that, thanks.
This was always Lovecraft's intention with his stories. I think popular culture and LC's successors have bred the notion that his stories make up a consistent, ordered universe, but it's not like the guy himself ever really committed to making one.

He liked to throw in common books, characters, and creatures because it gave the illusion of a wider, more oppressive setting. Pretty sure he's on record saying something to the effect of 'I'd never let the 'rules' of one story override another'. It's practically all set-dressing.

One man's opinion, but I think Rats in the Walls might be his most poignant. It's about a lonely isolationist going out of his fucking mind and hallucinating himself to death. If that shit aint Lovecrafts whole god damn life in a nut shell I'll eat my hat.

>Probably his most "world-buildy" story is Call of Cthulhu

Uh, no, that would be At the Mountains of Madness or Dream Quest. The Call of Ctulhu is a stand alone story with scarcely any references to other stories.

It's a 50s creature feature, which usually involves a normal animal getting bombarded by radiation or cosmic rays until it grows to an enormous size. The Blob was an Earth organism that mutated in space if we are talking about the 80s version.

DQ is so different and whimsical, though. CoC has that whole stuff where The Old Ones are explained in pretty plain terms. I guess you have a point with AtMoM, though!

Daily reminder that this is a thing:

youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI

uzumaki is a terrible movie. just stick with the manga.

I would call Dream Quest more world buildy, it teaches you all about the dream world that exists in space around Earth and makes you realize that many of the places mentioned in other stories and some of the stories themselves are located in the dream world.

And it certainly has horror, those fucking Night-Gaunts, the thing that chases him in the pitch black bone pit, and especially toward the end with the sheer scale of the beings he's dealing with and how helpless he is.
Hell as far as "Lovecraftian" goes Dream Quest is one of the biggest ones with repeated references to the awful center of creation where the awful blind idiot got writhes and gnaws reality while abominations dance and play unspeakable music around it.

Evangelion is overrated as all billy hell but it had some pretty good lovecraftian concepts like humanity being a single ancient alien entity connected by our primordial workings as offspring of a neigh-magical space being sent to seed other worlds

>Dream Quest
can you post a link, I can't find it. there's only a 2013 tv show with almost a blank page on imdb

It's a novelette, you dolt

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/dq.aspx

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/dq.aspx

Don't fall for the memes, there are ZERO lovecraftian movies in existance
Lovecraft and film are contradictory, because his entire point was that his creatures were so horrible they couldn't be properly described and went beyond logic. You literally went mad just for seeing them. Making a graphic representation of them is impossible.
Attaching a 100 tentacles to a slimy monster is NOT lovecraft

I always took it as more of an alternate setting to the whole deal, it names a lot of Lovecraftian places but puts them in realm of dream. And while it talks of same deities, the tone is almost radically different. There's spooky stuff, but there's also an army of cute sentient cats who help the protagonists. That's just straight up adorable.

Take Nyarly, in his own story he's a really big deal, a harbinger of the end, one of Great Old Ones who takes a perverse interest in humanity. Here, the protagonist rejects him by waking up, and all he can do is keep waiting in the Dreamlands.

Gross oversimplification, a lot of his fiction isn't like that at all.

>Lovecraft and film are contradictoryy, because his entire point was that his creatures were so horrible they couldn't be properly described and went beyond logic
Look mum I posted it again!

Fuck off

I know, but I was under the impression there was a movie adaptation. no need to be rude

/r/ing that picture of Lovecraft with the comic sans text over it

His most iconic works (and the best ones) are

>underage thinks his epic cthulhu memes are a good representation of lovecraft's work

Go read a book kiddo

>I was under the impression there was a movie adaptation
Not a direct adaptation, but there's a movie set in the Dreamlands in the works: >no need to be rude
Don't sweat it, just bantering

>underage thinks his epic cthulhu memes are a good representation of lovecraft's work

What part of my post implies all that?. Again, quit projecting and fuck off.

Call of Cthulhu IS undoubtedly his most iconic work. I don't think it's best, but it's the one he's known for.

Anyway, Mountains of Madness? Shoggoths are just a bunch of angry protoplasm, the scary part is how they destroyed the Elder Things' society and then crudely replicated it (add your own racist analogies here). Elder Things were outright bros.

Mi-Gos are totally comprehensible. Thing on the Doorstep? Reanimator? B-movie horror. Colour out of Space? The only problem would be coloring the, well, color. Dunwich Horror? Oh no, that guy has goat legs! And in the end, they pour some magic shit on a diseased elephant with 16 or so legs. Case of Charles Dexter Ward? Nah. Shadow out of Time? The Great Race of Yith (or rather the bodies they are inhabiting) are described in detail.

You can't really film stuff like Azatoth but that's pretty minor.

youtube.com/watch?v=bwqJ9IXn4WU

>filename
My nigga

An alternate setting? It sounds like you don't like the idea of those locations and the Old Ones being in the dream realm but that doesn't make them any less real, it's just a different reality to ours, like a real place with people and beings native to it that we of this plane can reach while we're asleep.

>Elder Things were outright bros.
Bros? The one they excavated thaws out, wakes up and brutally cuts everyone in the camp into pieces.

>I AM NOT INSANE!

youtube.com/watch?v=-6YMov3fYvs

I don't exactly dislike the idea, it just doesn't seem compatible with some of his other works. The tone of Dream-Quest certainly isn't.

>thaws out, wakes up and brutally cuts everyone in the camp into pieces
It's addressed in the book. Here:
"Poor devils! After all, they were not evil things of their kind. They were the men of another age and another order of being. Nature had played a hellish jest on them—as it will on any others that human madness, callousness, or cruelty may hereafter drag up in that hideously dead or sleeping polar waste—and this was their tragic homecoming.
They had not been even savages—for what indeed had they done? That awful awakening in the cold of an unknown epoch—perhaps an attack by the furry, frantically barking quadrupeds, and a dazed defence against them and the equally frantic white simians with the queer wrappings and paraphernalia . . . poor Lake, poor Gedney . . . and poor Old Ones! Scientists to the last—what had they done that we would not have done in their place? God, what intelligence and persistence! What a facing of the incredible, just as those carven kinsmen and forbears had faced things only a little less incredible! Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star-spawn—whatever they had been, they were men!"
So they thaw out, are attacked by dogs and men, and IIRC some of them were dissected. They kill the attackers, dissect some of them too and then go away to find the ruins of their civilization. It's a tragic misunderstanding between two sentient races, they didn't act out of some inherent malice.

Read all of Lovecrafts works, most of his essays and some of his letters, never dipped into anything beyond that though

I just wouldn't call them bros, but being a space-faring race I would assume they were more intelligent than us and not unfamiliar with encountering other sentient beings. I just took it more as terrifying indifference than malice.

I was literally paraphrasing the protagonist. He's terrified of shoggoths' crude imitation of civilization, but he calls Elder Things "men" and "scientists" and empathizes with their plight of having to witness the complete destruction of their civilization. And when you look at their civilization, apart from their skills with biological modification, it's not even that incomprehensible - the protags study their history by their bas-reliefs and it's a pretty relatable story, all things considered. Unlike a lot of Lovecraft's creatures, they were close to us, and they got ground down by their own mistakes.

When playing this game, I got blown away by this reveal:

deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Brethren_Moons

It was Thing-tier Lovecraftian, but it became full-blown Cthulhu with this plot point. Yeah it's a game, but probably the most Lovecraftian thing I've experienced in media.

>but probably the most Lovecraftian thing that has nothing to do with lovecraft or his works, I've experienced in media

ftfy and agree

>Lovecraft
>perverse sexuality

Get out.

>The Ninth Gate

Just finished watching it. Characterizations are a bit over the top and more depth could have been added, but otherwise great atmosphere.

Prometheus. Intentionally or not, it was a total hack of At the Mountains of Madness.

Guillermo Del Toro was forced to abandon his ATMOM kino because of how close Prometheus came to the main story.

>Guillermo Del Toro was forced to abandon his ATMOM kino because of how close Prometheus came to the main story.

You're as bad as ka-too-loo tentacle memers who think lovecraftian = octopus

prometheus was literally atmom except on a different planet instead of antarctica

>Guillermo Del Toro was forced to abandon
>Guillermo Del Toro

and a moronic plot that's almost nothing like atMoM aside from going somewhere and shit hitting the fan.