Im looking to buy an authentic iron cross. Anyone here own one and how can you tell if its a fake...

Im looking to buy an authentic iron cross. Anyone here own one and how can you tell if its a fake? Heres a signaal that was posted yesterday by belgium i think cant remember.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_Cross_of_the_Iron_Cross
amazon.com/German-Army-World-War-II/dp/184176616X
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump nobody on pol knows anything?

Center is magnetic and the Iron Cross 1st class was made to quite high specs, meaning measure it down to the mm to verify authenticity, also denote the makers mark/hallmark of the manufacturer before purchase.

Whats a good price and measured to what mm exactly?

Also there are repro's out there that are made almost to exact specifications of originals, shit even the WWII auction warehouse Manions was churning out fakes that were almost indistinguishable from originals.
Ask for documentation, ask for imagery and if it's too good to be true it is, there's no real test to determine authenticity, apart from metallurgy which would involve slicing a bit of the metal off thus destroying it, but that's what fakers are banking on people not doing.

I bought one at a flea market not so long ago.
Well it wasn't an Iron cross but another medal but had a swastika on it which made it fucking dope.

What would documentation look like? From a museum or government papers from ww2?

you could try /his/ maybe?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_Cross_of_the_Iron_Cross

There were varying specifications for manufacture. They're ranging for a few hundred dollars to as much as several thousand.
you probably bought a War Merit Cross, which is the Maltese Cross with crossed swords thru an Oak wreath and swastika center.

Theres a guy selling one at my flea market aswell says its legit old man with a couple different nazi items including flags might just take a buncha shit off his hands one day and hang it in my apartment he wants alot for it though i cant remember how much exactly flags im not worried about but id prefer 100% legitimate medals

See, there's no definitive link between documentation and the actual hardware, if you ask and they give excuses or hesitate, then it's most probably a fake.
Real legit collectors like to have paperwork and certified attestations of authenticity, people who are looking to scam do not.
I've got a bunch of pins, cockades, cuff titles and a few weapons from the war.

I thought about it but i figured if anyone knows pol would

Yep that's exactly the one!
It has 1939 engraved on the other side.

A friend has a Railroad eagle, the national Defense Crest made for official railroad engines, it's aluminum and about 3 feet across, I'm quite jelly about it, but he got it for like $3,000 20 years ago.

Post a few pics if you dont mind just getting into collecting i hear they might be making new reproduction stgs in a buncha different calibers this year might pick one up untill im 50 and can afford a real one

Post a pic if you can id love to see it

Where did he even find one, online?

>20 years ago
Guess not online then excuse my retardation

I'm not at home, but if you revive this topic tonight I'll get some for you!
As a beginning collector, research, research, research!! I only wished the internet was as comprehensive as it is when I started picking things up at antique stores in the early 80's there's a wealth of information at your fingertips now! I had to mail-order order Uniform specification books, and weapon cross reference guides. But check this book out
amazon.com/German-Army-World-War-II/dp/184176616X
There are uniform patterns, divisional patches, and regiment pins are described/photographed in great detail.

His Uncle had school friends that were drafted, and served in the US 3rd Army that were basically grabbing anything they could fit in a box and shipping it home as 'personal baggage' and one of them fell on hard times and sold it to him.

an Iron Cross is surprisingly made of Iron, partially coated with silver. 43mm wide, weight is between 15 to 21g. EK2s are everywhere so you should easily get one for less than 100$.

Also I'm not that much of an oldfag, I saved up my allowance, summer jobs and saved enough to buy a 'grab bag' of Whermacht odd's and ends, while my friends were buying cassette tapes and Tiger Beat magazine...

sure!
hang in there