ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-flavours
explainshell.com/explain?cmd=sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My windows machine is out of service, PSU is awaiting rma replacement
Linux laptop is big and battery lasts for shit so I use my Mac

I have a mac

>Explain yourself
no

I still have a win7 partition for some gaymen that doesn't play nicely with wine.

I'm thinking of making the switch myself.

I've heard Linux Mint is very retard-friendly compared to other distros, has a large community and isn't specifically tailored for lower-end machines (unlike xubuntu, for example). But they also seem to have had some major security issues, so I'm conflicted.

Is it still giving it a try?

>Is it still giving it a try?
Is it still worth*

The linuxfag cycle:

1. Try out Fedora
2. Spend more time ricing and installing depreciated drivers than being productive
3. Switch to Mint for ease of use
4. Customize it to be similar to Windows
5. Realized that you could be using Windows instead
6. Go back to Windows and never look back

Linux is only needed if you actually do development

Wrong, I myself am highly concerned (and increasingly so as time goes by) with the ethical record of the companies to which I give my business (directly or indirectly). Microsoft is extremely unethical, and has been that way for its entire existence. It's worth going through extra trouble if it means punishing poor corporate ethics.

It also doesn't help that as a person I'm paranoid as fuck and at this point Windows is literally just NSA spyware.

Anything Ubuntu based is good for beginners. I'd go with stock Ubuntu or one of the official flavors ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-flavours
Xubuntu is really good (it was my first distro) and it isn't only made for really old hardware. Lubuntu is the true toasterdistro.
I've also heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu MATE but I haven't used it myself.

The Mint website was hacked like a year or two ago iirc. It didn't turn your computer into a bomb or anything.

if you're using any Intel or AMD processor manufactured in the past 6 years, not even GNU Hurd will protect you from surveillance

I actually do development tho

cringe
get a few more browsers while you're at it champ
on a more serious note, stop using manjaro and start using exherbo like real men

>Linux is only needed if you actually do development
Of course, and it blows windows out of the water on development alone so might as well just stay with the ecosystem unless you need to play your gaymes.

Linux doesn't have Ableton or support for most music/audio stuff
Bitwig alone in it's early state isn't enough to switch

>implying I've ever used Windows

Pretty comfy with XFCE myself.

How is this Sup Forums? Reported you, gook.

Muh vyda

>using linux
>with frontend and stuff to make it look more usable
lmo stop pretending, youre just a pleb

What is the best Linux?

>I can't use Linux because you have to use command line constantly
>Why would you have usable GUI on Linux lmao

Xubuntu, MATE and mint are excellent for newcomers. Otherwise it's extremely subjective.

im a gamer boy

No games.

tnx
Follow up question: what do I have to learn before switching to Linux? Books/articles?

>not using TempleOS
Plebs, the lot of you.

If you switch to some Ubuntu, you don't need to learn anything.

>not using plan9
enjoy your ugly hacks

bash

Gentoo

Could you please explain your opinion

How to install the OS. MATE has an excellent introduction if you first boot up the live-USB. It has a splash screen with links to what you need to consider when when installing.
Second is just sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade to update your OS. explainshell.com/explain?cmd=sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
The rest will come as you need them.

i actually use linux lmao, the one pretending being linux user with those fancy builds are fucking plebs.

you can build your entire system with wonderful cflags like -Ofast or -fomit-frame-pointer and openrc is nice

I stream videogames.

its gnu slash linux not linux >

what do you think of elementary OS?

>Could you please explain your opinion
Sup Forums meme

Unless you built your own hardware and use your own internet, all of your issues are a moot point.
Since you are on Sup Forums, at least one of those conditions are automatically void.

I am a pro gamer.

That’s like pro masturbator, riiight?

yes but with small cock, questionnable hygene and weak as fuck

Nah, I earn good money from playing and sponsorship, am not gonna doxx myself but people from Sverigetråden knows me and hates me for being successful.

I'm KDE myself

t. Suka@blyat

>manjaro

>but
this word was unnecessary

Why did I receive this? I didn't actually report anything, I was just memeing.

Announcing reports is bannable offense newfriend

Give me a single reason to switch to Linux from Windows

redsocks

Mods don't like people announcing reports

I use my computer to play games with

Don't announce report it's against the rules even ironically

muhvidya
Also I just need word and excel for what I do most of the time.

I won't be able to do anything on Linux where you have to program even the most basic stuff.

Windows 7 for video games
Debian GNU/Linux for everything else.

>when bagguette in the ass is not enough

Windows 10 for everything
Linuxfags can go and kts

Nah, more like

The linuxfag cycle:

1. Try out Ubuntu/Mint/Manjaro
2. Realize this is a thousand times better than a shitty tablet OS that bombards wangblows microshit apps and ads at you while sending back personal info to microsoft HQ
3. Customize to how you like it, figure you spend half the clicks finding/organizing files or doing work compared with win10
4. Try wangblows on a friend/family machine and remember how ass it is
5. Find a desktop thread
6. Post your sweet set up and shit on microsoft shills

Linux is comfy and secure, unless you are a 14yr old that can't go 60 seconds without playing a video game there is zero reason to use windows.

Even then there is dual boot if you are that desperate for gaymen so you have no excuse.

Pic related; me after making the switch to linux two years back. Mostly after windows forced w10 install on my w7 set up when I was in the shower. Freaked me the fuck out

Linux is "free" if your time is worthless

>Kees kreeg het aan z'n hart van een windowsupdate
amai wat een mietje

obviously your time is SOOO important browsing and shitposting on Sup Forums

Mac is the only choice for a white man.

Do you look like this?

Muhh games