"Finding Dory" on pace for record-breaking 140m weekend

>Giving a much-needed jolt to the summer box office, “Finding Dory” is dominating moviegoing with a record-breaking $140 million opening weekend, estimates showed Saturday.

>Disney/Pixar’s animated sequel, playing in 4,305 North American theaters, grossed a stunning $55 million on its opening day Friday.

>“Dory” will demolish the nine-year-old record for best domestic animated opening, set by “Shrek the Third” in 2007 with $121.6 million. “Minions” was the second largest at $115.7 million, followed by Disney/Pixar’s “Toy Story 3” with $110 million.

>At $140 million, “Dory” will rank as the 17th largest domestic opener of all time and the third largest of 2016. Marvel/Disney’s “Captain America: Civil War” had the year’s highest-grossing launch so far with $179 million, the fifth-largest debut of all time.

variety.com/2016/film/news/finding-dory-box-office-record-breaking-opening-weekend-1201798368/

Fuck. I hoped it wouldn't do this good because I want original IPS from Pixar. Get ready for sequel galore for next 10 years nostalgiafags.

It's lucky it opened on a weak weekend AND there hasn't been a big movie (100+mil weekend) in quite some time. My guess is that other studios overestimated people's interested in the *other* sequels and high profile IPs that came before this (including but not limited to: Conjuring 2, Warcraft, Now You See Me 2, TMNT 2, X-Men Apocalypse, Alice 3, Angry Birds, Neighbors 2).

I'm still kind of surprised that it's SO popular. I mean, did people even like Dory enough to want her to have her own movie?

The sequels will only continue.

>Cars 3
>Toy Story 4
>The Incredibles 2

Pixar sold out boys.

Can't stop the Mouse

Finding Nemo is easily one of their most popular movies.

Don't be so damn cynical. We aren't even Pixar/Disney's core audience anymore anyways. Plus, the film was pretty good , B+

Wait, what?
I barely even knew it was coming out.

Why the hell did Shrek the Third claim to opening weekend?

Pixar sold out a long time ago, when they made Cars 2 and Brave.

HELP

I'M A FISH

CAN'T DOUSE THE MOUSE

Toy Story 4's the only disappointing one. Cars 3 is completely expected and Incredibles 2 has been hyped for a while now.

We already know that's coming. At least we get a new Incredibles out of it.

Except for Through the Looking Glass tanking and the inevitable failure of Pete's Big Green Flying Dog.

> Jesus christ, who thought this was a good idea? The third ended the series so neatly-- how can this possibly be a better ending than it?

Toy Story 4 is centered around Bo Peep's return and rekindling things with Woody. The human/toy dynamic isn't even playing a factor. They might as well have just made it a Valentine's Day special.

As usual, the only thing that can beat Disney is Disney

And The BFG. Absolutely nobody has talked about that

I liked it. Could have been more funny and less sad, though.

That's at least got the Spielberg name attached to it. And it's not another fucking Disney cartoon remake. And hey, it's going up against some Tarzan movie I keep forgetting exists.

So what is the movie about anyways?

Dory starts remembering her parents and her original home: an aquarium/sea life rescue in Morro Bay, California. Has Marlin and Nemo come along to help her, but they get split up upon arrival.

>Help some mentally disabled chick fond her parents
>She nearly gets you and your son killed
>Causes your son to get hit pretty hard
>Bothers you while to try to help aforementioned son
>Tell her to go away and throw in a snide comment, since you are understandably frustrated
>Son treats you like Satan for the rest of the film

Being Marlin is rough.

We have an Incredibles, Toy Story, and Cars sequel coming next. So that day is already here.

I just want a Zootopia 2.

>tfw the only studio that can rival Pixar Animation Studios is Walt Disney Animation Studios
How do we douse the mouse?

Can't trounce the mouse

Can't bat the rat.

To be fair, Maudie's tits were epic.

Dory was the best thing about Finding Nemo for casuals

I just want Wreck It Ralph 2. I thought Cars, Nemo, Toy Story, Frozen, and Zootopia were wrapped up perfectly. Ralph literally has unlimited potential.

Exactly, it should've been a short movie like the halloween special. The Toy Story trilogy was focused on Andy growing up, not the toys. How the hell are you meant to top the previous movies anyway?

>We aren't even Pixar/Disney's core audience anymore anyways
The fact that they're making sequels to 13 year old movies suggests otherwise.
If you think you're getting off John Lasseter's wild ride anytime soon, you've got another thing coming.

>The fact that they're making sequels to 13 year old movies suggests otherwise.
Disney has been doing that shit for years

Just got back from it. Loved it.

I was worried it would be too much of a re-tread of the first one ("we have to cross the ocean AGAIN?") but they get to California in the first 10 minutes and it really grows into its own from there.

A lot more sad moments - it really drives home just how awful it must be to be Dory, being just one wrong turn away from being completely hopeless and terrified. But it also encourages the unique strengths disabled people have developed to work through their limitations.

Whaleshark a cute.

It wasn't that good. I think it got a score it didn't deserve on FreshKetchup.

Sup furfag

I NEED SOMEBODY

I'm actually want to see what they can do with Toy Story 4 seeing how the plot will be about why toys are alive and Woody's relationship with Bo Peep.

Nemo entering that moody pre-teen time in his life.

No they haven't. They only started doing awful sequels to their classics during the mid 90s up to the 00s.

>during the mid 90s up to the 00s.
And they're still doing it

>They only started doing awful sequels to their classics during the mid 90s
You forgot the Rescuers Down Under in 91

DELETE THIS

IT CANNOT BEAT SMUG FOX

WE NEED A SEQUEL FOR reasons[\spoiler]

I want a sequel, but I don't want it if it's just going to be shitty romance.

it won't be shitty, it will be fantastic

>they've been doing it for years
>no they haven't! They only started 20 years ago
Christ user

Rescuers down under was great. Granted, I've only seen down under.

Chuckles != Shekels

I remember reading somewhere recently that they've committed explicitly to a schedule of one sequel every other year and one new IP every year.

So at the very least, they're SAYING they won't switch exclusively to cash cows.

Same here. I was initially skeptical because the trailers made it look like a retread of the first movie, only with Dory in the star role. In that sense I was almost thinking it'd turn out like Cars 2.

But the decision to examine the full implications of her memory issues was a great one. Lesser writers would have simply milked it for the sake of humor (see Cars 2 above), but here they showed how it could make even the simplest tasks a nightmare, and worked with it. Hank and the other characters they introduced into the movie were also great.

So far it's looking like a good year for Disney/Pixar, and what I saw from Moana is looking pretty intriguing too. I think Zootopia is currently my top film for animation, but Dory is still way up there.

Shipping is cancer

>And them some fag will say that the movie is shit and is only doing well because of waifus.

It's not shipping if the directors are literally unsure if they are a couple or not.

Not gonna lie, Destiny is pretty cute and Bailey is pretty close

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Ships, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids against Professor Z plans, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in orca warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

>sn't even playing a factor. They might as well have just made it a Valentine's Day special.
>>>
> Anonymous 06/18/16(Sat)22:20:10 No.83878395▶
>As usual, the only thing that can beat Disney is Disney
>
Kinda weird that Bo Beep is a lamp.

>Movie is about the struggles of mental disability and tolerance
>creates two genuinely retarded characters and uses them as silly gags

They'll need that money for the lawsuit for letting an aligator eat that 2 year old.

The sealion and the bird?

Because I don't think they were disabled.

>Whaleshark a cute.
This, those little sounds when she bonked her head were adorable, also Sweet Dee's voice is great.

The scene with the truck flying off the cliff was fucking hilarious, the retarded sea lion was great.

BFG has a reasonable audience. I'll be watching it, and I have seen anything in theaters this year.

They looked more retarded than the rest of their kind.

It seems like a real Whale Shark that keeps on crashing into walls like Destiny would be dead within days

The Incredibles 2 better have twice the ass

Poor Zootopia will now be forgotten completely.

I can see the sealion, but I think all the birds looked pretty similar, she just had more messed up feathers.

>top 5 selling animated movies of all time
I doubt that

It'll be overshadowed by Finding Dory. This movie is guaranteed billion+

You mean the timeskip with an adult Violet we're all simultaneously hoping for and dreading because no matter how she turns out that ass won't live up to people's depraved expectations?

dude, Moana will blew everything out of water!

For some reason I thought Cthulhu would show up after the end credits.

Go home Heavy Weapons Guy, you're drunk.

>tfw got to swim with live wild whale sharks last weekend in Mexico
>tfw if you touch them they swim back to the bottom of the ocean
I don't know how you could keep one in captivity, they're fucking huge.

Isn't he always?

I'm pretty sure that's why you can't find them in many aquariums. Only place I've heard of that has them is Japan. And the Japanese aren't exactly known for having a lot of concern for the comfort or well being of captive animals in their zoos or aquariums, so they get a certain amount of shit for keeping their whale sharks in what might be less than ideal conditions.

That was the largest aquarium of the world, that's why they could keep whale sharks there.
Them they got surpassed by USA who made a bigger aquarium to put 4 whale sharks in the same tank.

Hahaha you fucking contradicting moron

They've also got four of them in the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.

They sometimes go to the Philippines.
I have poked them with my own hand.
They are also eaten and like most animals they taste like crap.

That's how Atlanta got theirs: Bought them before they could be butchered in the Taiwanese fish market, which refers to whale sharks as "Tofu sharks" based on the taste.

Two male whale sharks, Ralph and Norton, died in captivity at the Georgia Aquarium on 11 January 2007, and 13 June 2007, respectively. The two females were added on 3 June 2006 and two more males in 2007. All six whale sharks were imported from Taiwan, where whale sharks are called tofu sharks because of the taste and texture of the flesh

I haven't found any news about the whale sharks at the Okinawa Aquarium dying so I assume they are kept in good conditions despite what was said by

cars 3 is supposed to go back to it's original vision and lasseter admits the 2nd went out of bounds

its about that doc hudson guy

No, it's about McQueen trying to keep up with younger cars entering the race circuit and getting a hispanic ladycar trainer.

Doc is dead

Finding Dory feels unnecessary, and I was internally groaning when I heard my friends and family talking about how hyped they were for this movie

It's better than the first, so who cares if it's "unnecessary"

Lol no it's not
Way more throw away jokes, plot holes, plot conveniences and the climax felt lame like it was from a generic animated animal movie like over the hedge.

Finding Nemo had its own plot conveniences like the Pelican guy coincidentally meeting Marlin and also the one who befriended Nemo. Finding Dory has a lot more of those moments.

it's still a great movie, I don't care if it was unnecessary or not. But I like how this movie took much different direction which felt fresher to its predecessor

The improvement in animation isn't that big compared to say Toy story 2 to Toy story 3.
The only clear thing I noticed was Dorys "freckles" being more visible and the scales of fishes were also more visible.

>Shrek 2 Domestic Box Office: $441,226,247

If "Finding Dory" can finally kick that goddamn movie out of the top spot, then that's enough for me to be happy.

Shrek 2 is a better movie

The Shrek movies were nothing but cheapass bashing.

The first movie was genuinely good and felt like a breath of fresh air when it was released.
It also came out during Disney studios descent into mediocrity and Pixars rise to mainstream popularity.

They were good for their time, but aged like milk.

He's not wrong about the bashing. Once you get into Jeffery Katzenberg's history with Disney, the whole thing just comes off as a smear movie made by a bitter jackass, right down to the villain being a caricature of his former colleague.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the plot consciences in the movie.

The part I disliked the most was the otters near the end, It felt stupid and forced.
Also
>Whale shark and the dolphin guy jumped out of their "pools" and straight into open Ocean. I'm pretty sure real versions of those are designed to prevent that
>there is absolutely no barrier or net to prevent the Seals from escaping into open ocean which is just plain stupid
>Octopus guy and his super chameleon abilities

But octopi do have camouflage skills that would put a chameleon to shame!

Is it true there was a tranny stingray?

You all know why Toy Story 3, Monsters University and Finding Dory got made right? The previous movies were 10 or more years old which means the kids, teens and 20 somethings that saw those movies grew up and are now going to take their kids to see the sequels/prequels.

That contradicts most sources where 20 something's are delaying child raising since it hurts careers and costs too much