What does Sup Forums think about Aquaman?

What does Sup Forums think about Aquaman?

Well, Sup Forums?

There's something fishy about him.

Yeah? Well there's something batty about YOU.

bump

Mera is hot.

I guess it's hard to say what I think of Aquaman, because he's written differently all the time.

Overall, I think he's pretty cool. The modern age Aquamans have this common thread of him dealing with anger issues and controlling his temper, like in that Ponzer series. I liked that mini a lot.

I also really liked Johns characterization in the part of his run I read. Up until then, modern age Aquaman has usually identified as Atlantean first, his primary role being king of his people, kind of begrudgingly helping the surface when necessary. I actually think it makes more sense how Johns writes him, with him not actually wanting to be king, at it being a burden. The guy grew up on the surface. It adds a bit more pathos. Unfortunately I stopped reading that run during the first arc because it was just sooo slooow. And "The Others" were lame.

That mystical water-hand era was pretty cool.

Basically the only people who shit on Aquaman are people who know next to nothing about him. Hes had numerous incarnations over time but Ive come to really like the Johns Aquaman/early new 52 run of the character. Not really a fan of the barbaric thing theyre going with in the DCEU, and I like the hook hand version even less. But overall I think hes a great character

>Overall, I think he's pretty cool. The modern age Aquamans have this common thread of him dealing with anger issues and controlling his temper, like in that Ponzer series. I liked that mini a lot.
I see Aquaman as someone who might have a bit of a temper but he's actually keeps cool all the time and is really good at controlling it. I see him as someone who keeps a stoic demeanor most of the time, in contrast to Mera, who has issues controlling her anger and just naturally emotes whenever she's upset.

>I actually think it makes more sense how Johns writes him, with him not actually wanting to be king, at it being a burden. The guy grew up on the surface. It adds a bit more pathos.
Same. It really does make that much more sense. What I ALSO really liked about Johns' Aquaman was that he always tries to see things from everyone's perspective. That, I felt like, was always Aquaman to me. He, maybe more so than any other DC character, is a person of two worlds. When shit goes down and some Atlanteans threaten the surface world, he, above everyone else, tries to see things from everyone's point of view and tries to take action according to what he feels is the right thing to do. In the first arc, he doesn't want to kill the trench creatures because they're endangered and he feels kind of a sympathetic pity for them because they're kind of primitive creatures really.

I also really like the part of Aquaman that cares about the ocean and sea-based creatures. He's sick of the surface polluting the oceans, he fights against illegal whalers, he's an environmentalist, and that mindset really makes a lot of sense, since he does rule the seven seas and all.

He's also a badass. Honestly I feel like he's probably the most badass out of the entire Big 7, just going by sheer personality. He's kind of a no-nonsense kind of guy and will absolutely fuck you up if he's mad or feels like he needs to.

(cont'd)

I also really like his relationship with Mera. Honestly I feel like they're on of the best couples DC has. They're REALLY good together and Mera on her own is great.

>Unfortunately I stopped reading that run during the first arc because it was just sooo slooow. And "The Others" were lame.
Keep reading. It gets better as it goes on really. I do agree the first arc isn't that good but it really does get better.

This is why Im worried about DCEU Aquaman, because as of now it seems like the "warrior king who is adamant about surface dwellers" thing. Which was kind of my problem with the animated JL version too. I think Aquaman works best when hes a moderator between both worlds, and acts like a cool headed king first and warrior second

>Keep reading. It gets better as it goes on really. I do agree the first arc isn't that good but it really does get better.

I'll pick up the trades. Johns' stuff probably reads better in trades anyway. Thanks!

>I think Aquaman works best when hes a moderator between both worlds, and acts like a cool headed king first and warrior second
Precisely how I've been feeling. You can kind of see why they're going in that direction, but psychologically, it would make way more sense if Aquaman identified at least just a tad bit more with the surface world, considering that he was raised on it, grew up on it, and all.

I have hopes that it'll be a good movie though, if James Wan is still on it. It might just be the thing that makes Aquaman cool again in the mainstream.

Interesting character, potential for stories far beyond typical JLA fare, including a legitimate reason for including politics as he is a king. If he was given his own team and not shoved into the League he'd do much better, able to show off how powerful he is away from people like Superman.

Yeah, it gets better. The first arc is plagued with "Look, guys! Aquaman's cool, SEE!" bullshit that doesn't even make sense within context of the universe it's set in that's kind of an elephant in the room in the narrative as a whole, instead of just showing naturally why Aquaman might be a cool, respectable character.

It's also way too slow, as you said.

Basically this. The Superfriends version poisoned people's perceptions of him. Dude's pretty badass actually and is a pretty good, if not great, character.

I've been trying to remember a somewhat recent comic where Aquaman has a cute cuttlefish carry his trident around for him, help me out here, Sup Forums

He needs to fucking relax desu

I sort of blame Seth Mcfarlene and Seth Green for perpetuating the stereotype, its an easy joke for them to fall back on

Yup, shit like this is why people don't respect Aquaman. Though to be fair, he's been getting shit like this for years.

Interesting character, potential for a lot of different stuff, the ocean is scary as fuck and we should see more of that instead of giant crab creatures and sharks. Also, the different kingdoms underseas could be interesting, political backstabbing and alliances, all that stuff.

His current direction in the comics is dull as fuck though, color me uninterested.

I feel the fact that fans and creators swing so hard to fight the perception that Aquaman is lame it actually makes him lamer.

Should just roll with the punches and drop it and not actually say that people in universe think he's lame and devote several issues to that

Well he does have some cool, though limited, villains too. Chimera was kind of neat, didnt know he was a re-imagining of a Silver Age character though

He's Outrageous

>Should just roll with the punches and drop it and not actually say that people in universe think he's lame and devote several issues to that
Blame Geoff Johns for that shit. I think his run was otherwise pretty damn good but ugh. That whole bit in the restaurant towards the beginning of his run just DOESN'T make Aquaman look very good at all.

Thing is, if Aquaman existed in real life, we'd be in awe of him. Dude is basically Golden Age Superman on land, is a crazy fast swimmer (he can swim at 10,000 knots per hour; he basically get to any coastal region on Earth in a matter of less than an hour, probably, and he can telepathically communicate with marine life, including sharks and shit. That's some cool shit. Even in a universe like the DCU, where you have Superman and other powerful creatures, it's not like that negates Aquaman or anything.

I mean, he's more powerful than Batman ffs.

He needs a supporting cast.

Mera's pretty cool. I haven't read much of Aquaman but the supporting cast in Johns' run is pretty damn good.

I really want to read some of Lorena Marquez and Dolphin. They seem like fun characters.

If we're talking villains, Black Manta's great, as is Ocean Master. Scavenger's pretty good too.

He really does need more good villains.

They did have that 7 Kingdoms thing going but then that got pushed aside for whatever reason. I havent read Aquaman since they switched artists (I think the last story was Chimera or Hercules, cant remember) so I dont know if they did anything with it since then

Aquaman is always a series I seem to dip in and out of. Since the start of Nu52 that is.

I feel that he has the potential for good stories but anything to do with the whole politics of Atlantis and other underwater sea-monkey kingdoms and I find it hard to care. But this does vary to from writer to writer.

Because of the whole dipping in and out thing I have no idea what is going on with him and Mera. He proposed to her in rebirth, yet i thought they were married. Can anyone fill me in on that?

>Because of the whole dipping in and out thing I have no idea what is going on with him and Mera. He proposed to her in rebirth, yet i thought they were married. Can anyone fill me in on that?
Weren't they married pre-nu52 but post-Flashpoint were together and practically married but actually just basically inseparable?

I think they were married, just not in the traditional way we normally see it

>I feel that he has the potential for good stories but anything to do with the whole politics of Atlantis and other underwater sea-monkey kingdoms and I find it hard to care.
Really? That's my favorite aspect of Aquaman. I love that shit.

He's a qt

And he's a lot more badass than people think. Well normies anyway. Anyway whose read a comic he's in, knows he doesn't fuck around.

Love me some good Aquaman, pretty stoked for Rebirth.
I loved johns and like where Abnett is headed

Parker's run is better than Johns'.

What's this from?

EARTHS STRONGEST NATURAL LIFEFORM

nah

Is it really? I literally just finished Geoff Johns' run and felt like it was overall good, but had some issues with it, like the rushed ending.

I'd fuck him.

This is always the most delusional thing to say
>YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!
What if a person likes none of those incarnations, or just in general dislikes the inconsistent as fuck characterization.

Character fags are truly the worst, but at least you're not Hulkfags or batfags.

Um what? No one is saying you cant dislike Aquaman, thats totally fine. Its just that there is a clear bias when asking regular people about Aquaman because the most well known version in pop culture is the Super Friends incarnation. But hey nice shitpost

Isn't he, though?

As long as you're not all, "LOL AQUAMAN TALKS TO FISH XD," you're fine. Chill the fuck out, sperg.

Batfaggots are legitimately awful though, as a fan of the character.

Others were awesome. POW and Vostok(;_;) had great designs.

I didn't read the Rebirth issue cause Abnett's pitch seemed regressive and uninspired. How was it?

I really liked Ya'wara, mostly because she was a sexy Brazilian with some nice tits and a nice ass, plus an interesting gimmick with her powers, who walked around in skimpy as fuck clothing. Unf.

The Operative as cool too.

Shame about Kahina. I really hate that Johns just killed her off like that, she had potential as a character and a nice design too.