Suck at sincerely and intelligently discussing movie and tv

>suck at sincerely and intelligently discussing movie and tv
>tfw have to quote from youtube reviews and hope people think they're original

Other urls found in this thread:

kawachinoyuumi.tumblr.com/post/75965500522
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

u must be me

also discussing movies with parents usually end up with 'have you seen x' 'yea, it was good, have you seen it' 'yea, i liked it' 'what did u think of y' 'it wasn't as good as the first one' 'yeah'

Everything you want to be good at takes practice. Anyone that is good at discussing movies and the details that pertain to the subject, has practiced in some capacity.

There's so many people that fail to understand that everything you want to do, or talk about, requires thought, people are just too lazy to put in the effort of practicing.

>tfw you practice socializing for last few years but no progress

What do u struggle with user

I hate faggots that do this. At least learn to restate their opinion.

This is the only thing I will openly brag about. The only thing I like more than movies is discussing and arguing about them. I can talk about movies for hours on end.

I, a... hummm.

>heavily defending a movie I really like in a thread
>user asks a legitimate question about the logic of the narrative
>don’t know the answer so I literally google his question and copy paste an answer I find most convincing more than likely from reddit

i'm a terrible storyteller and can hardly make people laugh, only through simple quips
the only way i know how to converse is by asking questions and act interested so i don't have to talk and reveal to the other party what an utter autist i actually am
if i'm in a conversation with more than one other, i just get quiet and don't say much unless spoken to, i don't have much to bring, nothing interesting or funny so might as well don't say anything
it's so annoying when friends can tell these really engaging stories, about trivial stuff in their lives and shit, and remember with such vivid detail while i can hardly even remember a movie quote

you know how people might say they feel like they're playing the main character in a movie of their life? i'm not even a side character, i'm an extra who accidentally walked into the wrong set

not even that, i'm in the audience, trying to not cough and avoid attention while choking to death on my popcorn

>losing an argument or heavily disagree with someone
>call them reddit

>losing an argument
>argue back one last time and either hide the reply chain or close the thread
>pretend that I won in my head

Do you actually practice? How many stories have you told in the last month? I think the point is that you will have to embarrass yourself telling a hundred shitty stories. Then you will be able to tell okay stories and eventually you will become an eloquent storyteller.

been a while now
but I think my major issue might be that I can hardly remember events and conversations with great detail so I barely even have any stories to tell

>Good at discussing movie and tv, but don't actually watch them
>tfw discussing media I've never seen while simultaneously bringing myself up to speed

Whenever I see this I wish it was me

You don't have to be the storytelling kind of a guy if that's not what your thing is

People can usually tell when you pretend to be someone else and it puts them off

But as the other user said with entertaining storytelling practice makes perfect, the key is to make up the small humorous details and put them into a coherent narrative (memory is extremely deceiving anyway). Its 95% about the delivery.

You're doing the right thing by listening to people and acting interested. People are incredibly egoistic and love being paid attention to. Maybe try to find ways to get people to talk about themselves more. The biggest redpill is actually being interested in their experiences and perspectives and constantly trying to humble yourself by finding ways to appreciate them.

You're on the right path user dont put yourself down. Always remember that everyone focuses on their own failings but mostly recalls the highlights of other people you encounter (unless they wronged you personally).

>user starts shitting on movie he obviously hasn't seen
>ask him to elaborate on his opinions
>he never responds

I haven't even watched a movie in like a month

Like the other user said, people love someone who listens. But there are many, many people like you and when two of you meet you'll just get awkward silences. So learn to tell about yourself. It's pretty fucking easy; say literally anything that comes up in your mind that would be safe for work. They ask you what you do? Tell them what you do, and whatever other trivial shit that comes up, like how you feel about the job or that your boss is a dick or literally anything. Anyone can easily carry a conversation by just babbling on.

The thing that stops autists from being able to hold a conversation is that they're scared about what the other might think about what they're saying. Don't worry about it, it literally doesn't matter. Its very possible that people won't like what you say, but it doesn't matter. If you can't get over yourself and it does matter to you, see it as practice to find out what is awkward and what is not. Either way you'll have to put yourself out there to get out of this rut.

This 2bqh

You have lowkey anxiety. I'm not even memeing.

Me

Dude, for nor being a great story teller that post is one of the best things I've seen on Sup Forums

>lowkey

thats pretty high key dude

>The biggest redpill is actually being interested in their experiences and perspectives and constantly trying to humble yourself by finding ways to appreciate them.
that's who I am
but the thing is, that shit is energy draining (for the other person(s)), if you don't contribute something yourself the spark can quickly fade

yeah, I might not be a storyteller so to speak, maybe should just focus more on discussing things. If I think about changing a topic or something to keep the energy going, I usually just talk myself down about any topic I can think of
same goes for contributing to discussions, if I've read about something related to the topic at hand I might just skip saying that, especially if it's from imageboards/reddit, I dunno, if I just repeat something someone else said I feel like a copycat. on the otherhand, a friend of mine can talk about whatever, but basically everything he says I've already read on reddit and it's not like anyone else cares if he's just repeating what he read
need to practice more going on pure instinct rather than self-doubting

To me high key is when you can't leave the house and get straight up paranoid and have panic attacks.
Everyone is different, though.

that's a straight up disorder, like agoraphobia

>tfw too intelligent to seriously discus anything on Sup Forums

You're on the right track.
Honestly, exercise and having hobbies is a huge help.
Take up guitar or cycling, having a hobby is a great talking point and improves your confidence. It's easier to change your habits than it is to change your mindset.
Like you said, it's all about practice. Good luck and try your best! I believe in you

You are on the right course really, you make progress evenwhen you think you dont

>Tell them what you do, and whatever other trivial shit that comes up, like how you feel about the job or that your boss is a dick or literally anything. Anyone can easily carry a conversation by just babbling on.
>The thing that stops autists from being able to hold a conversation is that they're scared about what the other might think about what they're saying. Don't worry about it, it literally doesn't matter.

This exactly. I meet a massive amount of people and hardly anyone has anything truly original to say. The biggest social mistakes people make are being either non-interactive, unfriendly or being too deep into their own shit and steering every conversation into that (whether it is some kind of a hobby, lifestyle trend, political/social cause or whatever bs that noone fucking cares about)

I like to complain and whine all the time about different stuff, I think it's starting to put people off.
Otherwise I try to converse by asking questions and act interested, but it's fucking boring and a waste of time. I can't relate to them and their boring lives and jobs.

And this is why I use Sup Forums. You can escape the real world, be negative and complain about different things you don't like anomalously non-stop and mimic some sort of social environment, where you can leave immediately and never return if you don't like the discussion or the people in it. Then you just jump to something you like to discuss. It's pretty okay.

if I'm only with one other person, I don't really have any problem in leading the conversation. just trying to say whatever is on my mind to avoid awkward silences
but more people than that and I don't really contribute much, I step back and take on an observant role, only dropping quips like I'm in a capeshit movie
guess I just don't feel comfortable being in the center or something

any tip on fixing it? shit, I get anxious just looking for jobs, I believe I'm always bothering and annoying other people (even if it's not true, but you get what I mean) so I try to avoid all that together, procrastinating shit as long as I can
I've stopped bothering with most hobbies, once you reach the point of failing everything you try it's easy to just give up
failed high school, studied whatever was needed but took like 2x-3x the time, dropped out of uni not even after a year
went to some trade school, took some month extra because procrastination, didn't end up with a job afterwards anyways (construction, got done in mid winter n no jobs)
been programming on and off since high school but haven't gone anywhere, gymming went nowhere when I used to do it, actually got a guitar but after few weeks started procrastinating
I feel like I have never achieved or finished anything, huge motivational problems, but I haven't bothered with looking up help for my depression/anxiety since I failed high school 6 years ago
jesus, time passes quickly, six years

thanks friends, appreciate your posts

Damn you edgy m8

>any tip on fixing it?

Only one real way, facing it head on. Putting yourself out there over and over and over. It's a confidence issue, so try finding something that boosts it (i.e. lifting or buying nice clothes or someshit).

>the only way i know how to converse is by asking questions and act interested so i don't have to talk and reveal to the other party what an utter autist i actually am
I think most people embellish their responses to jokes and stories because they want to be polite and like the person and want to spare their feelings. I'm the same way and the few times I venture to tell a ditty of my own, people get invested because they like you and remember when you validated their stories when they ventured to offer them. You seem like a sincerely empathetic person, I hope you realize that you're as worthy as everyone else and as entitled to friendship and happiness

That sounds very disheartening. I know a lot of those feels.
You never know until you try, though. Higurashi and Umineko have really good messages involving this sort of thing. Please excuse the source, but I like this message a lot
kawachinoyuumi.tumblr.com/post/75965500522

>send a bunch of hateful messages to normies on social media
>block them so they can't reply

yeah, nowadays I keep my mouth shut IRL about things I might dislike
went to the movie with some friends? didn't really enjoy it while someone else in the party might've? shut up until I get to Sup Forums and can shitpost about it, it's not like anyone of us will really gain anything by starting a debate
people tend to dislike negativity and cynicism, unless you can be funny about it
true that, the longer you procrastinate, the more anxious you get over it, until you do it and realize it was nothin but a peanut to begin with

thanks
damn, that hit home

>have tons of commentary on a movie while watching it
>can't articulate any of it afterward

>not just talking during the movie
The moment is always NOW

Watch more movies and watch less youtube videos about said movies. All film is about film.

You need friends for pleasant and enjoyable social intersections mostly for yourself, not really for them. If you act like a boring beta, they will get sick of you anyway.
Say what you think, otherwise there is no point of having friends.

>pause movie regularly to record commentary on dictaphone

>tfw can't put my thoughts into words good
>lose every argument I enter

I do say what I think, there's just no point in being all cynical and shit all the time like Stan in that South Park episode
no one likes a negative nancy

>see a banepost
>already know the user is underaged by default but I don't report him

Just talk about how you felt, user.

Quick, tell me the last movie you saw, and how it made you feel. Don't think, just type quickly.

Don't even joke about that. It's not funny.

It was okay.

thanks mystery science theater

I like this

This, not to mention I constantly tongue-twist myself, so when I do while arguing, it makes me seem like I'm panicking.
There is no winning in this life.

I spent a lot of time watching film between 2015 and 2017 and now I'm a lot better at discussing it. Just find a film IRC or Discord and start from there.