Geoff Johns hate

so why do people hate Geoff when he writes some of the best DC stories
the man single handedly made Green Lantern one of the biggest DC heroes

He's really not that great of a writer compared to guys Sup Forums loves like Milligan and Morrison.

He's great at emotional stuff when he doesn't get to heavy handed.

Mostly casuals who have probably only read his stuff after 2010.

And yeah his recent stuff hasn't been as good but career-wise he's solid. It's too bad he isn't doing comics right now since Rebirth was much more reminiscent of his past work. I wonder if it was just the reboot that killed his spirit.

>so why do people hate Geoff when he writes some of the best DC stories

He doesn't. He's extremely average. It's just that he's the guy who is always called when the editorial decides that it's the time to pander to the fans of mistreated character X, and thus he gets a ton of gratitude mistaken for adulation.

If someone else had written GL: Rebirth, that someone else would be the hero. It's not even a good story, just like Flash: Rebirth isn't a good story and DC Rebirth isn't a good story. They're just stories that the fans desperately wanted to be told for external reasons, and thus fans are willing to cut infinite slack when judging them.

Legit he's been trash since Blackest Night if we're being generous.

Dude's been coasting as Mr Fixit ever since he untangled the Hawk mythos in the easiest way possible

>some of the best DC stories

Not at all.

The guy is pretty good at his best and terrible at his worst, he is usually mediocre.

I don't like how dumb and ignorant the guy is, and how that ignorance is reflected in stuff like thinking Romans and Greeks were the same shit or the whole "life started on earth" retardation.

The guy can be good, but he is really egocentric, he wants HIS headcanon and only his to be rules for others.

>ever since he untangled the Hawk mythos in the easiest way possible

What did he do?

I liked his GL and Flash run
hes the reason I love Sinestro

Aliens in Egypt and never ending resurrection

>The guy is pretty good at his best and terrible at his worst, he is usually mediocre.
You've also just described almost everyone else on the planet.

No, people like Waid or Miller are Great or even amazing at their best, and people like moore or morrison go even beyond that.

Johns isnt as good as people like millar or rucka.

Waid is worse than Johns overall

Johns is a god, look at this piece of art.

>SJWaid
>Daredevil after Ikari
>Daredevil San Francisco relaunch
>Avengers
>Great or even amazing
Top kek Mousekeeper

Even though i liked his Shazam miniseries, the fact that he is the reason no one else has picked up the character and he hasn't gave the character an ongoing, makes me dislike him

they have been doing a lot of cool shit with Shazam, as in none of the new 52 shit with him has been bad.

They don't want to ruin the momentun with a mediocre on going series, just like when thet cancelled Animal Man despite selling better than some books that went on for a while after AM was cancelled, because they couldn'f find a person that would writte something as good as the rest of the run

>They don't want to ruin the momentun with a mediocre on going series

kek

Not to mention his raging boner for Black Adam being a detriment to how Batson himself is handled - reading the 52 storytime's section with that cast makes it seem like he'd gladly replace the existing character with his own, and making it look like marvel was at the brink of going mad from holding the fort at the rock of Eternity didn't help.

And then there's prick Batson in the new 52...

Also, didn't he write Infinite Crisis? Even the name for that feels lazy...

It that were truth why did they let Johns do 51 JL issues, they were crap

And then got bored of Black Adam and shat on him in forever evil.

>moore or morrison
>great
>not even on par with guys like pynchon or joyce or faulkner but people still pretend they're deep

WHOAAAAA BUDDY

careful with those goalposts!

Yeah but those guys aren't as great as The One True God who made the pact with Abraham so we can ignore their work and poo poo on them

Fans weren't desperate for Barry's return in Flash Rebirth.

Which might indicate why it was a comparative failure and all the things it was supposed to lead into got cancelled because fans didn't give a shit about Barry.

DC Waid is way better than Johns but Marvel Waid is way worse.

>Marvel Waid is way worse.

Not worse than new52 Johns

Johns wrote the best post Crisis Superman run. Can anyone even beat that?

>Aquaman
>Forever Evil
>last GL issue
>Darkseid War
>the one Superman arc he got to do

Nice shitty taste.

>>Darkseid War
Subtle troll

He had one good story in it and the rest was set ups that went no where because he got bored and had other writers clean up for him

Geoff johns highs and lows if you ask me are Brian Michael bendis tier. When he's God he's good. When he sucks he sucks. The only difference is bendis pisses on nostalgia and Geoff jerks off on it

I tend to agree with you but Kelly isn't bad.

>The only difference is bendis pisses on nostalgia and Geoff jerks off on it

That seems strangely accurate.

He created an extremely effective formula for pacing that was frankly groundbreaking and never evolved past that as the industry did. Now his writing is shallow and vapid, and while I like his values and interests, that's not enough to make him a good writer in my book.

>pisses on nostalgia

Only his nostalgia, he doesnt give a fuck about characters he didnt like as a kid.

Milligan is utter shit tho

Batfags upset at him lately even though he doesnt hate Batman

I'm going to rape you to death if you don't TAKE THAT BACK NOW

Tell me about Geoff.

he used to be good but not anymore

I meant prime Milligan.

He ignores other people's continuity for his own.
Has pet characters he pushes too hard.
All his events are "heroes get a new costume and beat the bad guy"
Incredibly obnoxious fanbase that will deflect any criticism as "lol you don't read comics!" or being some kind of conspiracy by fans of some characters.

>At their best

Geoff is helping out with Injustice 2 right?

He is actually playing a larger part in cinematic DC now behind the scenes so he likely doesn't have the time

He's also done some bad ones and helped DC become become the fark drudgery it is.

What I hate is that his fans can't admit he's made mistakes, like every writer ever in history.

He's a fan writer. Fans running the creative side of things lead to bland and sterile comics. In the 80's you had the British Invasion as well as all the guys from First Comics come over to the Big 2 who had next to no reverence for the material. People are still talking about those runs decades later

>Manta not playable

doubt.jpg

That's what I came here to do.
Most of his stuff is great, but he doesn't refine his stories at all, so there's all sorts of shit that gets forgotten, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he responsible for Superboy getting mopey and depressed that one of his dads is Lex?

So he's DC's Bendis?

I'd rather just read the actual silver age stuff than his manchild wanky fanfiction.

Don't say that or people will accuse you of being a shiposter because Johns' fans think that only one person can come that conclusion

So you admit you're the one spamming that in other threads.

He's literally Billy Batson. Child in an adult's body

no? are you retarded?

not him but it's true
so there's another convert

God you are retarded.

>Most of his stuff is great

No, his JSA was great, GL was Great, but then Blackest night happened, and since then nothing he has done is better than "good".

Flash, Action Comics, Booster Gold, Hawkman. That's still far more good than bad if you're talking total issues.

>he never read Stars and Stripe.

>ignoresbother people's continuity for his own
Most writers do.

and they are called out for it
meanwhile Johns gets praised for it

Yeah because you remember how we all shat in Moore,Morrison,Robinson,Gaiman,Wolfman,Perez all shat on continuity?

The difference is that they didnt do that at the same time.

Johns destroyed Wonder woman origins... twice in the same arc

>twice in the same arc
how?

>"this guy is a pretty good writer for certain characters that he likes"

>"good, put him in charge of our film universe and have him consult on our TV properties"

>"but sir, he doesn't have experience in doing those things, they're different kinds of mediums and require different skill se--"

>"SHUT UP, HENDERSON, JUST DO AS I SAY!"

Darkseid war, when it started Diana was retconed into pretty

pretty much the same age as the rest of the team, and then he came with the brillant idea of making her 5000 years old (just like in the movies!) in the grail issue

Johns came up through movies actually

people don't hate him. they are just annoyed, mostly.

He is responsible for a bunch of effed up shit, like Flashpoint and New Krypton. And really, Blackest Night was just an overwrought, annoying reset button waiting to be pressed.

And Retroboot the giant middle finger to his pal Mark Waid's Legion run

> Waid goes on rants about how Levitz era fans need to just except that things are different
> Johns brings back the Levitz era team while Waid's run is still ongoing

checked

This - 'mediocre' is an apt description. He's very inconsistent and where he is clever, it's fan fiction tier-level cleverness (see Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes here).

You realize misunderstand the concept of grading on the curve. I disagree that 'Miller' is "great, but user here is otherwise accurate.

Let me fix that for you:

>Busiak, Casey, Loeb, Kelley, Morrison, Pak wrote better post Crisis-Superman

Byrne, Wolfman, Ordway, and Roger Stern

>moore and morrison
>better than Miller

I'm more upset at the implication that Miller and Waid are on the same level.

This is absolutely it. Hal's best story ever and he just destroys it.
I'm honestly convinced that Green Lantern Volume 3 48-50 are the three best issues of any Green Lantern comic book. Ever.

If you've only written one good comic book, even if it's one of the best ever made, you aren't automatically on the level of Moore and Morrison, you're just a promising writer. The next thirty years of Miller's career proved that incorrect.

Yea that's pretty fucking egregious. Just an unbelievably pleb post overall

>DKR is Miller's only good book because I've only read one Miller comic
Firstly his Daredevil is better than DKR and came several years before, secondly you're a fucking faggot.

>one good comic book

You have shit taste if you think DKR is Miller's only good comic. Hell a good Miller comic came out this week

I think frank lacking a strong editor like jim shooter was his downfall, still sin city is awesome and you are a fag

>Milligan
Is this 90s? Anyway Johns is a fun writer, don't expect profound writing and you won't be disappointed.

>le shooter meme
please name one comic that Miller did that shooter edited.

not that user but I do it too
fuck your cereal king
Johngsfags are the worst

Johns has one good book: JSA
Bendis has DD

they are the same person

>you won't be disappointed.
I probably still will. He loves the characters too much to be entertaining. I want writers that are indifferent or even just spiteful to the histories of these characters.

Just salt the earth and start over

52 and his Booster Gold run are better than JSA. Maybe you should read comics rather than getting meme opinions from Sup Forums

He's all flare and no substance. He introduces some interesting concepts but usually wraps them up/gets rid of them within the same story arc. He's basically junk food.

Yeah Frank's written like 6 or 7 game changing books.

>Johns
>Booster Gold
>52

52 is pretty shitty bro
Booster Gold isn't that good either its a meme

both Johns and Bendis are forcing their ways into movies/tv

I'm a Wallyfag and Johns wrote the worst of Flash. He has a hard-on for villains though.

He was pulled because of GL, Flash Rebirth, helping out in Final Crisis. Wasn't his fault, his dream project was new Krypton and he got shoved off of it.

What's shitty about 52, it's an effective sweeping narrative that does good character work and shows the depth and breadth of the DC world.

what's Martha Washington? I've read the rest

>You
>not retarded

>Johns wrote the worst of Flash

This hot piece of garbage he made just to get the Rouges back

he didn't make 52
and his run of Booster is the weakest one you fucking retard

johns worst flash arc is One More Daying Wally