Ignoring the one with the Korean jumpscare, have you ever read a really scary comic book?

Ignoring the one with the Korean jumpscare, have you ever read a really scary comic book?

Other urls found in this thread:

emcarroll.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good horror comic books don't happen

There are several, but damn if I can remember their shit hipster names.

The one with the woods title where that one girl doesn't open the door when someone knocks because of the horrible murderous sounds and later on she goes into a weird place and tries to escape from a monster via a locked door and DUN DUN DUN it turns out to have been her room all along so she got killed horribly by her own fear

emcarroll.com/

I like Emily Carroll's stuff, but they're not that scary.

The key to Horror is the presence of the unknown, the problem with comicbooks and horror, is that you can't quickly flash the monster as a jump scare or build tension. The reader will always be able to see what's happening before it happens, and is also able to linger on an image long enough to become desensitized to it.

that sounds pretty good

By far the scariest thing I've ever read.

Ghost World

I would've posted his anthology series, whatever that was called. Or at least I think it was an Ito series. Is it really Sup Forums though?

Junji Ito is some goofy stuff, including that one.

The only one that spooped me was the one with the ghost children burned into the walls.

I thought Halloween: Nightdance was pretty good.

I don't really think books and comics can be scary

Creepy, yes, make you uncomfortable or feel grossed out, but scared? Of a book? The medium of storytelling where you dictate the pace, and your imagination fills in a significant portion of the details? Ehhh

Through the Woods by Emily Carrol

What's this?

It's from a Junji Ito story from the whole series about that asshole punk that chews on nails.

It helps if you read the model story also since it ties into it.

Whats that one called?

No piece of fiction is """"""scary"""""" unless you're a 13 years old.
The best horror genre can offer is an eerie unsettling atmosphere. Everything else is irrelevant.

autism

Children look, this is what happens when you're concerned about being seen as a child when you're an adult.
You look infantile and pathetic.

So, I see idiots still resort to shit buzzwords when they can't prove you wrong.
Fuck off, morons.

Junji Ito is always great, but the ash lady was the one that actually got a jump out of me. Hideout's pretty good, too.

Horror would be more like an immediate response to seeing something gruesome. Terror is more like what people think about with horror, with the slow buildup to something unseen, spooky. Disgust is the uncanny valley shit of seeing something and not understanding it regardless of if it's gruesome or not, usually because it carries implied gruesomeness.

I'm working on a couple of horror comics and understanding the distinction has helped me immensely. The thing with horror comics is thst they're only as effective as the art. Yeah, some toothy clawy thing drawn in intense detail might be scary to some, but seeing something in the background thats hidden in shadow and may or may not be a toothy clay thing and seeing the protagonist utterly unaware of the imposing figure behind them is much more effective.

The problem is that with comics you kind of get the whole page at once wetter you want to or not, so if you have a panel mid way where it's too obvious that there's a horror thing, the viewer sees it coming.

This is why I think horror comics ought to be more digital oriented. You can have stuff like thE reader clicking to proceed panel by panel, animated panels that feel alien, and other tricks that subvert the comic format. The equivalent of running into a freaky glitch in a game.

Anyway, the only comics that have really scared me on a primal level are the comics of uno moralez. They have a nightmarish surrealism offset by very good detailed art that still feels "off".
Ultra comics was also scary in the sense that I genuinely did not know how it would end so it had me thrilled and worried and scared. Too many horror things in general are formulaic, when you just run into something where you don't have a damn clue how it will end or what the rules are, it scares you.

Also oddly enough if you read a lot of those hokey 50s horror comics, especially the banned ones, there are a few that go a little overboard and are legitimately gruesome as shit.

this and the only time I got scared was by on of a jumpscare, here are the pages:

On a board that has repeated threads of "which cartoon scared you as a kid", fucking everything is scary to Sup Forums. We also find horror in general to be very triggering.

Yes.

The webcomic called Abaddon, in an existential kind of way.

Or whatever it's called, I forgot. Basically, a guy is trapped in a hotel full of misfits and creepy shit happens, and everybody is an asshole to everybody as he tries to find a way out. He doesn't, and it is implied the shit he has gone through has happened several times already.

The stories in this one range from mildly disturbing to pretty funny. The last story in the book fucking spooped me big time though.

Also

>Rawhead Rex
>Beautiful Darkness
>Black Hole (not scary but still considered horror)

My sleep deprived mind made me read that as nigga watch out

Have you read Fuan no Tane? They're horrifying via mood due to how the story progresses despite reader control.

link me

A few people have mentioned it but Through the Woods by Emily Carroll is great and spooking in that fairy tale kinda way