Tfw I was unironically expelled from a lecture for being a "British Empire apologist" (exact words)

>tfw I was unironically expelled from a lecture for being a "British Empire apologist" (exact words)

All I did was say the British did more good than bad, and that if you're going to judge them through a moral lens, judge the people they conquered, too. Maybe it was out of place for me to speak up, but why shouldn't you be allowed to defend your heritage?

This happened about 2 months ago, I've been waiting for my final grades before making a complaint. Would I be in the right here? Is it okay to dispel a student from class for defending the British Empire?

It was a political science class. I feel like I might have acted a bit autistic, but expelling a student from class for this seems unfair.

absolute state of angl*s

Do they realise it spawned your country?

In my uni I freely discussed the duplicity of Soviet actions against Finland and Japan before and in the end of the WW2.
>Anglo-Saxon freedom of speech

Where was this, Maori college lmao.

Nobody in their right mind would defend sovok in here.

Auckland university. Very few Maori, mostly Asian and White

My professor would disagree. Anyway, the point is we discussed this issue while having totally opposite opinions on the matter.

Yeah it's fucking retarded to expel you from the class, if the stars on your flag were white I'd meme you for going to a Milburn """""University""""

The British empire was worse than the Nazis.

t.

It's no worse than any other global empire. "good" and "bad", which are highly subjective, are irrelevant to discussion and study of politics/history. """Political""" """''science"""" is a joke.

You're not allowed to debate an opinion unless it conforms to left wing ideals anymore. This is the new order

ah i could see that opinion buttblasting the chinks

has there ever been a empire that did "good"? the answer is "No."

USSR. Churkas got their shit built up at the expense of ethnic Russians. But again, it was an occupational government.

Brown hands

I'd expect thats just another reason to hate for arts students.

if you're at a Sydney uni and you mention Taiwan, or use an old map that doesn't show china's latest territorial "claims" then you'll get a 6 month suspension. this even goes for lecturers/tutors.

>judge the people they conquered, too.
What do you mean?

I'm not saying that I'm sharing your opinion but you could have acted less autistic and raised some points like that Niall Ferguson guy.

To me the point would be wether you were being disruptive, if you were being obnoxious about making the point or were doing a back and forth that prevented the class from moving forward then the issue really isn't about your views and if the lecturer felt his authority was being challenged on the subject his dismissing your point, while yes it is a low blow, is a rethorically legitimate device.

Students often miss the point freedom of speech in a college campus mostly means the faculty not themselves, you're mostly extended freedom to voice your own opinions as a courtesy, old school professors don't do Q&As and expect no out of turn interruptions.

That's the reason chances are you can't challenge this, I'm assuming your university has a honor comission that would deal with this, the professor can always argue what I wrote previously and they'd have to let it go.

Now there's such a thing as nuance, if you feel the incident did prevent you from exercissing a legitimate right to dissent and that you were making a legit point by all means challenge this, question is how the rest of your class feels about it, do you think anyone's going to side with you if they're asked to testify in a formal inquiry?

I hope you are shitposting irl

>Churkas got their shit built up at the expense of ethnic Russians

Your government sent Russians to demographically tip stuff in your favour

"If Poland and France didn't want to get invaded they should have advanced more or do more" is one obvious one. Basically a fuckton of hindsight and victim blaming.

Oh then that isn't really right then. I've always felt the British Empire did equally good and equally bad.

It allowed the spread of technology like all empires do and it created one of the most influential countries on the planet (America). It also allowed society to flourish in a place where there was nothing previous (here).

It also did a lot of bad over how the national lines were drawn in the Middle East after the Ottomans fell and Africa mostly suffered from colonialism (it was barely a net positive).

OP probably sperged out and tried telling a tutorer off which got him expelled because he was being an obnoxious prick.

good post

t. cuck with a cuckstamp