Post characters you felt bad for relating to

post characters you felt bad for relating to

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6X2dCkOI6LY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he doesn't kill himself in the end by jumping off a building
way to fuck up the entire series

Hi Lane

They were kind of building up to it with the hotel ad he made and the noose he was drawing in the meeting, I guess weiner didn't have enough balls to do it

why was everyone so shocked that he turns into a hippie when in the first couple of seasons he's hanging with proto-hippies (beatniks and bored millionaire vagabonds) and getting high?

Does Mad Men rewatch well?

I dunno it makes sense when you think about it

But he doesn't become a hippie...he finds inner peace and uses the hippie idea to write the coke ad

he doesnt' become a hippie you dense motherfucker.

>*ding*
>that look in his eye
>cut to coke commercial

It's obviously stating that now matter how broken or redemptive - he will always be an opportunity chasing swindler.

He doesn't really become a hippie. The ending was brilliant because it showed he still had a mind for big business marketing.

except my "older brother" was my fathers unrealistic expectations, impossible standards and a constant comparison of what he viewed himself as as a young man.

he for a short amount of time lives with a hippie colony so for a small amount of time he becomes a hippie

youtube.com/watch?v=6X2dCkOI6LY

Its better the second time through. One of those shows that has all kinds of little shit to pick up on and respect with a closer look.

Examples?

I've watched Mad Men three times hoping some of Don would rub off on me.
I want to be Donald Draper so fucking bad, character flaws and all.

He was conducting market research. Don never "becomes" anything, he briefly enters people's lives and extracts an emotional connection that he can exploit on Madison Avenue

That's where you fucked up, because Don Draper doesn't want to be Don Draper.

Yeah, and after that he goes back to being miserable and kills himself.

Not him, but as someone who has watching the series in its entire upwards of 8 times, you really kind of HAVE to watch it at least twice to get it.

By its nature, the show is largely about people who have already become what they're going to be and you're just sort of catching them at the end of a story that was written long before you started watching. I'm always strike by how fully formed the characters were even in season 1. So much stuff is happening that alludes to things that will only be explained much later.

A prime example is Don's exchange with Rachel on the rooftop in like episode 3 when she's explaining to him how her mother died in childbirth and we see that, for whatever reason, he's drawn to this. And as you know, we don't find out that Don's mom died having him until the beginning of season 3 I believe. Or even just stuff like the nature of passive aggressive behaviors (e.g. leaving places totally without explanation when he just doesn't feel like dealing) which we become very accustomed to and familiar with and have context for by season 5 or so are still going on in the first season, but seem very bizarre in the first watch when you still just don't know Don all that well yet.

This makes a lot of sense and was very informative, thanks user

the asshole captain on TNG in the 2 parter

Exactly this. After watching it once I loved it. On a second viewing it became my favorite show ever. Can't remember too many examples because I haven't watched it in a long time now (trying to give myself a good while to forget some things for a third go), but that other user put it well. I enjoyed it even more the second time through, and its rare you'll find that.

Pete becomes series MVP very quickly when you know him well from the start also.

Literally me, but with money.

One thing that's happened with subsequent rewatches for me is that I hate Peggy more and more each time.

The first time she seems almost sympathetic because her whole unassuming, frumpy, ugly duckling image is convincingly disarming. But what becomes clearer as the show goes on (and crystal clear in rewatches) is how disingenuous those early displays of modesty really are.

Peggy is just kind of a bitter, insensitive, judgmental cunt through and through, and it's only once her career takes off that she finally has the social status to treat people with the total disregard she actually feels for them in general.

Very similar to Don in that regard. He too was affable and permissive in his early career when he didn't yet have the clout to brandish his over-inflated sense of independence.

dude thats literally me too bro
keep it a hunnit% my nigga
we are cool

your fucked up

I completely agree. Peggy was just kind of a money and glory chasing faggot from the start too. And this isn't a Sup Forums hating the women characters opinion either, I'm sure we'll both agree the actress is great which is part of what makes hating some of the characters possible. They are portrayed as they are supposed to be perfectly, flaws and all.

Harry Crane is kind of interesting the more you watch too. I don't think most people think about him a whole lot on a first viewing but he's got some things to think about the more you see him. Kind of just a disgusting pig but starts out feeling bad for cheating on his wife. As he goes on he just gets more and more unchained, I don't know if this is supposed to reflect how this business and time turned these people into low morality animals or what.

Best character study television show of all time, bar none. You can think about every character's development and motivations all day.

I thought this as well.

>Best character study television show of all time, bar none. You can think about every character's development and motivations all day.

What is even more interesting that of all the characters in the show, one of the only main characters who actually seems to genuinely improve as an overall person is Roger Sterling. Everyone else just slowly becomes more bitter, pessimistic and unhinged, but Roger seems to begin the series that way, and slowly evolve out of it into a more reasonable person who begins to see life for the good it offers rather than the dark.

If anything, I think it shows how life's happiness is somewhat of a U shape, especially working in a corporate climate. You become more and more disgruntled with how your life is progressing and the things you do, until you finally reach a point where you essentially say "fuck it", and begin to learn how to enjoy life again.

>seizing the opportunity of marketing towards the increasing hippie demographic =/= becoming a hippie

I bet you also think that the executives of global corporations give a shit about rapefugees and gay marriage

I always thought that the later season meant to show how Peggy was turning into somewhat of a female equivalent of Don

>tfw you will never see a draper and campbell start their own firm in california alternative spinoff show

>draper and campbell quit the firm and they begin their own in california
>bob benson becomes our main character in new york as he's growing to be a big player in sterling/cooper/cutler/chaough
>cooper dies, cutler gets a heart attack and dies too
>benson uses his power with big accounts to become an equal partner in sterling/benson/chaough
>tension builds between sterling and benson as both struggle to become the firm's face and for their love over joan and her child
>season finale; bob kills sterling
>new season; 5 years later
>bob benson has grown to become the east coasts biggest ad man
>draper's firm has grown substantially in california and is now the biggest west coast ad firm
>first episode shows a draper/trudy romance
>campbell is constantly in china trying to expand their accounts and their business to asia
>he gets involved in the chinese mafia and grows a dangerous relationship with the daughter of a powerful and corrupt chinese politician
>constant rivalry between draper and bob over clients and the death of roger
>they slowly learn about each other's past as the show goes on
>the tension between them comes to a climax when they are both in new york for the same client; conrad hilton
>after the pitches for conrad they run into each other at the bar of the hilton hotel
>the show ends with them sitting next to each other, a glass of rye whiskey in one hand and a lucky strike cigarette in the other.
>nothing is said between the two but they both know they are the same man in that moment
>willing to do whatever it takes, too much even
>campbell is thrown of a building in china and falls to his death as the mad men theme music kicks in

>a thing like that