Gonna watch this fucker tonight

Gonna watch this fucker tonight.

Should i get the theatrical or redux version?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wyIC-_eHSS0
youtu.be/zUW-eMv3_94
youtube.com/watch?v=qnGTWI9ebKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

REDUX
E
D
U
X

Redux is like 4 hours long but worth it.

3 hours 15 min

Theatrical for the sole reason that it doesn't have that fucking French plantation scene. Literal snoozefest

That's vital to understanding the context of the war

This to be honest pham.

Theatrical first then Redux at a later date. Redux changed the whole vibe of the movie for me, went from grimdark psyche thriller to surreal sitcom.

The Redux version is on Netflix I think and is the literal only way to watch this movie completely. It may have been Coppalla's most ambitious work ever.

Sorry, it's just too patrician for you. Thats where you get off, bye, enjoy your short hollow movie

Nice fake tweet.

Redux is fucking trash

*Coppola

theatrical all the way

that plantation scene literally ruins the movie. It fucks with all the pacing and tension

just read a wikipedia page about if you want to know the context of the war

you could just skip it

redux. have fun man. literally just watched it again after like 5 years. i still feel like i have a contact high.

youtube.com/watch?v=wyIC-_eHSS0

what a pleb, does not ruin the pace, it has that god like entrance of the french soldiers.

Theatrical version. Then Redux when you're rewatching it.

what do they do with fishbourne's body in the theatrical? i haven't seen theatrical in so long i can't remember.

if you watch Redux first, it'll be super obvious which scenes were "added in", because they are unnecessary and kinda kill the pacing of the film. Go with theatrical, it just flows much better.

Theatrical

I never saw this.
What's difference between this and Kong: Skull Island?

it's on prime as well.

Neither OP

Get the Workprint, its 5 Hours long...

why not just watch the redux?

youtu.be/zUW-eMv3_94

Im kinda shocked its on YT now, this things was rare as fuck at one point

This is bullshit.

I watched the redux first and then the theatrical and when you watch the theatrical you wonder why some shit happens because some parts are missing. The redux adds to the pacing and the atmosphere, dont miss out.

i attempted this MANY years ago, and just couldn't. it's like trying to watch a campfire for 5 hours.

Because in a movie about a descent into insanity, a pit stop at a french plantation along the river for dinner and drinks does not fit.

Petition for 4k release!

I cant work out if this bait is pure idiocy or brilliant meta-trolling...

Redux just for the surfing shenanigans.

Although the last hour is a snoozefest.

>if no one is being shot at then nothing is happening
i think the new transformers movie should have enough plot for you, so you won't get too confused by dialogue

>>if no one is being shot at then nothing is happening
Not at all what I said, you mong.

Redux is incredible. The added stuff is all great. The meeting with the Playboy bunny is so good.

>be fighting on rivers in vietnam
>going through the jungles of southeast asia
>stumble upon a mansion run by french colonists
it shows the audience they're not in vietnam anymore. they're in cambodia. kinda important to show how close they really are to getting to kurtz.

Redux is literally kiddie filter, it's madness that some people like prefer the shorter cut which isn't the true vision of the directior. When it's shorter to appeal to the masses, just boggles the ol'noggin.

Redux is the longer version, mate...

Hell, Id take a SD release then this theater VHS bootleg

Redux.

Simpleton.

>can't understand meme arrows
>can't understand french plantation scene
it fits

First viewing: theatrical

Second viewing: redux

Explain it to me

French plantation scene is a pleb filter

Redux for sure.

You can only see it for a first time once so take some acid or smoke weed first too :D.

Bigger, longer and uncut. Fuck yea

people saying they can watch this theatrical or didn't like the French Plantation Scene seriously need to get the fuck off this board

PSA: this is unfortunately in the works

youtube.com/watch?v=qnGTWI9ebKw

OP READ HERE!!!!!!

watch the theatrical version. it is one of the rare times that the theatrical version is better than the directors cut.

the Redux adds a french plantation scene. Coppola wanted it to be SO out of place that it highlights just how surreal the entire journey is.
but... it kills the momentum of the movie.

i dont want to spoil it for you if you havent seen it yet. but the entire movie is about literally descending into madness as he goes further down the river, and the french plantation scene ruins that journey.

it is right before he reaches the end point of his journey, and it just screws with the buildup.

in the redux, shit gets weirder, and weirder, and more surreal, then BAM. french plantation scene for like 30 fucking minutes. then BAM back to the weirdness as he reaches the end. and its just.. ruined. it kills the vibe.

watch the theatrical. its a masterpiece

you are the truest fucking pleb

>the Redux adds a french plantation scene. Coppola wanted it to be SO out of place that it highlights just how surreal the entire journey is.
I've only seen the redux and coppola accomplished exactly that. I thought that those scenes were all hallucinations by martin sheen. Actually I thought half the movie was just martin sheen hallucinating.

You're right though the french plantation scene left me more confused and bored than anything

you are all tards.

i understand what he was trying to do with the french plantation scene. Coppola was trying to highlight how these people live in this weird bubble outside of the surrounding chaos. It is meant to be SO SURREAL that it adds to the surrealness of the film.
All of that is true.

But it's too long. It ruins the journey into madness. it is actually TOO out of place. then when it's over and cuts back to finding Kurtz, its like well fuck all the buildup to finding him has been washed away in that fucking plantation scene.

it kills momentum. it kills the journey. its purpose as commentary isnt worth what it takes away from the film

I should add I've only seen the movie once and it was when I was like 15 so I might think differently on second viewing

Theatrical. Anybody claiming Redux knows nothing about pacing.

finding a mansion on a plantation in the jungles of southeast asia is madness. conversing with frenchmen in full suits and evening dresses during the vietnam war is madness. fucking a french colonists' sister on the eve of you assassinating a special forces colonel from your nation is madness. the whole scene is surreal. you're just too fucking pleb to notice it.

I think Hulu has both versions.

Redux but skip the plantation scene. Boring as shit, ruins the flow of the movie, and they're impossible to understand. If you do watch it make sure you have subtitles for that part

anybody who screams about pacing during a war movie has never been in a war. watch the redux.

Wait, you don't think that the plantation scene was weird? You must be a muppet.
As you said, shit gets weirder and weirder and then BAM, french plantation out of nowhere. A super sidequest about frenchies in the jungle, war situation and colonialism synopsis, boobies, opium... I mean, what's the matter with you?

But theatrical doesn't have the Playboy bunnies sex scenes.

im sorry your so OCD about tensions built inside momentum itself

but maybe if you try to watch the redux version ago, and see how, while true the plantation is a long scene it acts as way station into the the final scene of the temple, and if you can see it as this, then when you're viewing the temple retrospectively hold onto the visuals and movements in the previous plantation scene and see juxtapositions and parallels

i still feel it works out nicely and gives me the final edge and kiss on my balls before this movie lets me release all my hot sloppy cum

Redux is not a director's cut. Coppola removed those scenes on his own.

theatrical my man

>he thinks AN is about war

The workprint version is the only way to get the directors true vision.

> it is one of the rare times that the theatrical version is better than the directors cut
In my opinion it's usually the other way around.

Watch Predator in stead. True jungle kino

Theatrical version

Redux on Rewatch

i fucking understand how weird and surreal the plantation scene is.

my argument is that it is TOO much. it is out of the scope of the film. yes, its fucking super surreal on its own. but it ruins the flow of the film.

i mean fuck there is a reason Coppola decided to remove it in the theatrical cut

Both and make your own choice. I'd say theatrical though.

What was his problem?

>reddit spacing

you have to go back

De gustibus...
For me, the weirder it gets, the better.
You could make an effort and try to enter the mind of the lead guy and how the plantation scene fucks him up even more before the finale.

Also, there must be a reason why Coppola shooted it in the first place...

Hamburgers

The generals wouldn't let him fight the war he knew how to fight.

Just ten divisions of the VC and their troubles would be over very quick.

>i mean fuck there is a reason Coppola decided to remove it in the theatrical cut
what do you think that reason is? and why would coppola contradict that reasoning and put it in the redux?

>The generals wouldn't let him fight the war he knew how to fight.
The fucker was insane, mate.

$

Yeah, but Kurtz was right. One year tours do nothing. Plus, you have to be as brutal as the enemy you're fighting.

>Plus, you have to be as brutal as the enemy you're fighting.
Not true.

WW 2 was Won without being as barbaric as the Japanese and their pow camps.

Different times, I suppose. How do you win a war against guerilla fighters?

>war

He wasn't 'insane' at all, he'd just lost his conscience.

He was also 100% right btw. I'm not saying that the methods he advocated were worth carrying out, but if winning the war had been as important to the US government as it seemed to be, they would have listened to Kurtz. Their mistake was thinking they could win without getting their hands dirty.

on the field of battle, the Allies and Axis were pretty equal in their brutality, both sides committed mass bombings on civilian targets and military infrastructure that killed millions, the bombings of Dresden and Tokyo killed more than the atomic bombs. The only difference between the allies and axis was how they treated their prisoners, and the Soviets were arguably the worst. 95% of the enlisted men who were captured at stalingrad died in labour camps

what a well thought out and compelling argument

according to wiki:
> These scenes were removed from the 1979 cut, which premiered at Cannes. In behind-the-scenes footage in Hearts of Darkness, Coppola expresses his anger, on the set, at the technical limitations of the shot scenes, the result of tight allocation of resources. At the time of the Redux version, it was possible to digitally enhance the footage to accomplish Coppola's vision.

Okay, psycho. You wouldn't actually last in the military with that attitude. You'd get a psych eval and kicked out.

>there are autists in this thread who literally agree with Kurtz
Then you missed all of the subtext to this fucking film and you are a loony faggot. I wouldn't even be surprised if you were Sup Forums.

Explain why he was wrong.

>muh Dresden meme
Oh fuck off already. I see through you from a mile away.

>explain why a cooky nut who literally constructs his own reality after being worshipped as a diety, was wrong about total war with the Vietnamese to the point of genocide
If you related to him, you are insane.

The real autism is believing that the movie intends you to "agree" with either side. Its not about the story, its about what war does to the human psyche. In the end, Sheen is well on his way to be as bad as Kurtz, hes just still on the "good" (american) side.

I asked you to explain why he was wrong, you haven't done so, I'm guessing because you can't.

You aren't supposed to agree with Kurtz's ideology either. You are supposed to reflect his fall into the depths of his own insanity, how his humanity was chipped away. You aren't supposed to go "hey, he sure was smart."

You're a retard, he's wrong because look at what Kurtz believes, look at how separated he is from reality. That's the point. The man advocates literal genocide, what other proof do you want? That's enough.

I have the redux version but I've never seen this French plantation scene, wtf is everything on about?

this movie bored me

>ur dumb
>ur wrong
>just caus
Get the fuck out.

I'm a veteran with an honorable discharge, ard tard

It's like you are having a conversation with yourself and ignoring what is being said to you.