Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 19th June 2016 Rebirth Is A Civil War Killer

bleedingcool.com/2016/06/19/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-19th-june-2016-rebirth-is-a-civil-war-killer/

This is the Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, as compiled by a number of comic stores from their sales on Wednesday and Thursday. It measures what are known as the “Wednesday Warriors”, those who can’t wait to the weekend to get this week’s comics. We salute you, and the keenness you bring to your passion.

And it’s a clean sweep for the first issues and Rebirth issues this week. And Civil Wat II takes a battering.

1. Batman #1
2. Superman #1
3. Titans Rebirth #1
4. Green Lanterns #1
5. Green Arrow #1
6. Civil War II #2
7. Star Wars #20
8. Dark Knight: The Last Crusade
9. Star Wars Han Solo #1
10. Justice League 51

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/UwttO
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-04.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-05.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks to the following retailers

Issues Needed Comics, Apple Valley, Minnesota
Dr. No’s Comics & Games Superstore of Marietta, Georgia
Fat Jack’s Comicrypt of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Rodman Comics of Ankeny, Iowa
Jetpack Comics of Rochester, New York
Graham Crackers Comics – 10 locations in the Mid-West
Yesteryear Comics of San Diego, California

Who had this to say

"Customers confused on Rebirth books. ‘Didn’t I already buy Batman #1?’ – no that was REBIRTH Batman #1, this is Batman #1 that’s part of the rebirth re-launch.’ See? Totally different."

"Man, our customers DO NOT CARE about Civil War II at all! It’s amazing how far Marvel has fallen when it comes to their big events. Seems like our customer base has finally started to feel burnt out over Marvel’s continued tactics of having a major event at least once a year. Maybe issue 3’s “big death” will change that, but I’m doubtful."

"On the flip side, DC Rebirth is still kicking ass and taking names. With the exception of Batman, we completely sold out of every new Rebirth title this week. Insane! People can’t get enough. Kudos to DC for marketing this correctly….but I do wonder what they’ll do if sales start to dip again. Was surprised to see that that Han Solo didn’t sell as well as Star Wars. Perhaps on a lighter week it would do better? The same can be said for Dark Knight: Last Crusade. I heard a lot of customers complain about the $7 price on the cover, and would “get it on a lighter week”."

"LOTS of interest in TMNT #59 already, with the “big death” hitting in that book and surprising people. Other than that, it’s the usual suspects: Deadpool, Harley, Batman/TMNT."

"Great week. Easily one of the best Wednesdays we have ever had. Only cause for concern? Civil War 2 had a bigger than expected drop off. Even Scooby Apocalypse 2 managed to outsell Civil War 2 here. We didn’t sell through half of what we ordered. Hoping the latest issues has some legs. People really don’t seem to care about the “deaths” in the latest event."

"Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad back issues are currently in demand. Thanks to some movie coming out in August."

"Another round of complete sell outs from DC titles. The Star Wars books put up the closest fight for the mediocre DC Titles this week, but was absolutely crushed by the caped crusader."

"The back issue market seems to be dominated by people back tracking on DC issues. Makes sense since many people picking up the new titles are newbies too reading DC Comics."

"Rebirth continues to be the juggernaut destroying all takers. Customers are loving the stories which has gotten several DC haters (maybe the correct wording is New 52 haters) back into DC. Civil War II and Han Solo are the only books that came close to rebirth numbers. Customers have expressed interest on what changes Civil War II will supposedly have on the Marvel Universe however are skeptical on another round of Marvel Now. Can Marvel pull something great out of its hat or will DC continue to crush them."

"Rebirth continues, exceeding expectations (i.e. underordered several books. Green Arrow????)"

"What an incredible turnaround for DC! Not only do they take eight of our store’s Top Ten this week (including the first seven positions, pushing Civil War II #2 down to eighth place), but the 2nd printing of a three week old book took the tenth spot!"

"Lots of renewed interest in pre-Flashpoint Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, and Green Lantern. Star Wars is cooling off fast for Marvel; it’s still a respectable seller, but the main book isn’t even making our top ten any more, and Han Solo barely squeaked onto the list."

archive.is/UwttO

Thank goodness

Good thing we have another god damn relaunch to look forward to. That'll pull Marvel up the charts, yes sir.

yay more Sup Forums screaming about company wars and how evil tumblr marvel is dying

>Man, our customers DO NOT CARE about Civil War II at all!
OH BOY, ARE PEOPLE FINALLY SEEING THAT BENDIS IS SHIT ?

This was the part that got me:
>Even Scooby Apocalypse 2 managed to outsell Civil War 2 here.

It's probably just one store, but fuck.

Hey, that Scooby comic is actually pretty entertaining.

Please let CW2 being Marvel's Convergence.

NO MORE EVENTS

I think that if it were last year then maybe Civil War II would've done well. As it is Marvel will probably try to add in some more forced incentives for ordering.

Will it, though? How many new #1s of the same series can a person buy before they realize they won't retain value

Oh it is, if only because it's the JL3000 team. But that's the thing, I'm pretty sure Bendis' comics usually outsell JL3000.

Why did you guys just start posting this shit during rebirth?

Cause people think Bendis secretly lurks here.

Holy fucking shit.

because marvel on suicide watch

Who the fuck cares about Civil War 2? Such an obvious cash-grab. Except this time with all their shitty characters.

This pleases me. Scooby Doo was also better than Civil War.

Dear Bendis,
On the off-change you read this, i want you to know that I don't think you're as bad of a writer as people around here claim you are. But nigga you've gotten lazy as fuck and you can do better than the straight garbo you've been pumping out the past few years.
Sincerely,
Anonymous

Is Marvel going to begin doing things that fans have been asking for now?

Sup Forums takes only the most obvious bait, bless their retarded little hearts

They've been teasing OMD being undone or something, but they've done that before and it resulted in nothing, sooooo

But I do think they know that bringing back the old heroes like Odinson, etc and making Peter and MJ married again are the only things that could compete with Rebirth in positive attention.

Why would they intentionally sabotage their own sales like that?

seeing as they re about to do another clone saga I doubt it

>Even Scooby Apocalypse 2 managed to outsell Civil War 2 here
ruh oh

I'm fully expecting them to start in with an "The old guard are back now!" Schtick before too long. Pissing off their SJW audience will only get them mountains of free press.

That would run counter to the MCU stuff though.

>a good book selling more than a shit book

I know it's just one shop but damn, it's almost unheard of.

Could you imagine if Marvel released a book with three #1 issues in a single year? Relaunch in January, reboot in June, and redo in December.

Thank fuck. DC, for once in a fucking decade beat Marvel and force them to stop with the shitty events.

Chasing the SJW dollar is why Marvel is in the shithole sales wise on all things not Star Wars. Indeed, the only thing that is letting them beat DC like they have are their Star Wars books and even that has started to cool down now that the novelty has worn off.

Hey Brian. If you end up seeing this post, I'd just like to say this:

Avengers Disassembled was one of the most disgusting pieces of filth I've ever sat through. I'm not even a fan of the Scarlet Witch, but AD is, for lack of a better word, offensive. Go fuck yourself.

Oh, and your Thunderbolts run was pretty lame as well. Felt like a crappy, boring version of Ellis' run.

We've hit two in one year, with stuff like Squirrel Girl, Hawkeye, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, A-Force, etc.

>Bleeding Cool
intothetrash.gif

no it's the relaunches with no space and events i know you guys wanna hate on the spooky sjws but cmon

That's what I was thinking of when writing the post.

Which one of those books called out that they were relaunching? I remember they put on the cover something like "Only The Second #1 This Year!" or something.

I think it was Howard the Duck.

>Chasing the skeleton dollar is why Marvel is in the shithole sales wise on all things not Star Wars
user, you may want to slow down there.

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-04.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-05.html

And look at all the months before these.

No, they're saying things I like so this can stay

Events are ok when they're small like Avengers Standoff. Forcing an event with the same title as the movie just because you want more money is an awful practice though.

I want to know how Uncanny X-Men and X-Men civil war are selling, when does that info get published?

That's a crossover and those are still cash grabs tho

Next month.

TO THE GREAT BENDIS,
HOW YOU LIVIN'?
YOU BEST BE BRINGING ME PLENTY OF

>shitty cash grab relaunch outsells shitty cash grab event

Oh boy.

Yeah but when they only interrupt a few books and tell a decent story that's ok. There didn't need to be more than that. We have Dead No More and Death of X coming too. Civil War II is just completely unnecessary.

Does Marvel no longer care about comic book sales because they make so much money with the movies?
I mean, if they cared, and if they still care, the Inhuman push should be close to ending, and the X-Men may see brighter days.

>DC does well for once
>Sup Forums still spends their time bitching and talking about Marvel

>standoff only interrupted a few books
No, user. It affected too many.

We all just want more good books. Marvel has to crash to learn what they're doing is wrong.

Inhumans are in the big event this year and there is a Death of X event this fall, nothing shows that brighter days are coming.

>Even Scooby Apocalypse 2 managed to outsell Civil War 2 here
It feels so good.

Remember kids, pandering isn't bad so long as it is aimed at me.

>shitty cash grab relaunch
Fuck off. DC is doing everything in its power to save the comic industry from the SJW influence that Marvel and Image have allowed to consume everything with.

This isn't about money, it's about ethical comics rather than blatant propaganda fuel.

And the result so far has been some of the best comics to come out in years. Rebirth is everything true comic fans have been waiting for.

>JL3000 is how you know Giffen/Dematteis
welcome to Sup Forums!

The movies are no longer part of Marvel Entertainment, meaning the movies are more or less no longer part of Marvel. What the comics do to ape the movies isn't an attempt to advertise for them but to try and leech off their popularity. Which is something they've been doing since X-men and Spider-man. Even Blade was made to mimic his movie version.

No, DC is just putting out good stuff. It has nothing to do with SJWs or anti-SJWs. Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

>ANAD is a sales failure
>Bendis War is a sales failure
I don't give a shit about DC at all, I'm just happy to see NuMarvel's bullshit finally biting it in the ass.

Why would this force Marvel to stop publishing events?

Civil War II was still Marvel's highest selling title. It only lost to new number 1s, which aren't going to be an issue in most months. I bet you next month CW II will be back at the top, or maybe just behind Batman. Nothing about this suggests that events aren't still very profitable.

>With the exception of Batman, we completely sold out of every new Rebirth title this week
truly a bizarro world

It's the entire team, m8. Not just Giffen/DeMatteis, but also Howard Porter on pencils+ink and Hi-Fi on colors.

well, Marvel should see that old man logan, extraordinary, new and uncanny x-men all sell very similar numbers, around 50.000, that x-men fans are a solid block, and not try to shit on them, for more profitability.

>Making sure your product appeals to people who actually buy it is pandering.

to be fair Civil War 2 is godawful and I'm glad bendis is failing. If only he'd get chuck austined.

Sadly I think his other stuff is still popular so at best it would only mean he doesn't get another big event

#COMICGATE

Here's the thing, Civil War II is a blatant cash grab even to the people that usually love Marvel's blatant cash grabs. Even the interviews about it with the EiC of Marvel is basically saying that they threw this shit together in a few months, which says to me like Perlmutter micromanaging coming in and forcing it, then Bendis being the only one that's a big enough company man to do it.

I mean, it's interrupting so many comics and I can't imagine any of them want to deal with this. Then you've got Ewing literally running Bendis Damage Control in his books to try and retroactively fix and explain all of Bendis bullshit.

It's one of the few events that it just feels like it shouldn't exist. It's ironically reminiscent of Secret Wars II in that regard. And I think that's the most unsettling thing about all this.

someone post that brevoort screencap saying mad readers = $$$

That's the thing about the X-men. Their fanbase will buy their comics no matter what. It's a fanbase filled with countless different characterfags.

I mean, even I will check out any comics that has Scott or one of his kids in it.

Porter never worked with them till JL3000, casual

It's not a controversy though. It's a fact. DC won.

characterfags and people buying out of spite

>I bet you next month CW II will be back at the top, or maybe just behind Batman.
Rebirth specials and #1s are going to be coming out for the next 3-4 months.

>DC won

For a month. They won the month the New 52 launched too, but it didn't last. DC has to do better than a big spike every few years while Marvel dominates in between their relaunches, and they haven't yet shown that they can.

>The art isn't important in a comic
Welcome to Sup Forums!

Who would have guessed that Marvel's tatict of using #1's to boost sales actually works? I guess DC finally figured it out.

>This isn't about money, it's about ethical comics rather than blatant propaganda fuel
>And the result so far has been some of the best comics to come out in years

baby steps

Things that I want Marvel to do as someone who wants to get more into their universe but is put off by what they're doing now:

1) Obviously, fewer #1s. It's weirder than you think to look at a series and see numerous jumping on points with #1s by them -- because then the question becomes, "Which one should I jump onto?"

2) Overall, focus on good writing and good storytelling within the individual books. Besides some standout exceptions, Marvel books -- as far as I've seen -- seem to mostly tread water until an event comes, and *then* they'll start being interesting.

3) Going with the above, either market the shit out of the writers on better books, or put good writers on the biggest books. Or, in other words, Bendis on less shit; Slott off Spider-Man. (I honestly haven't read much of either writer beyond maybe an issue or two each; but there's little talk or hype of good writing on Marvel's biggest books, which is always a bad thing).

4) Beyond that... I don't know. Maybe lessen the amount of books they release? Or, at least, have the side-line/C-to-Z lister stuff be exclusively GOAT-tier stuff.

Let's mot forget who gave the sjws their first taste of power to effect the comic industry

>1) Obviously, fewer #1s. It's weirder than you think to look at a series and see numerous jumping on points with #1s by them -- because then the question becomes, "Which one should I jump onto?"

This is probably the craziest part to me. They even double down on it with collections where ever trade is listed vol 1. It's insane.

both you and are new as fuck

Finally the comic book readers woke up, and start to send Bendis's stuff in the trash, where it belongs. Hopefully Marvel will fire that hack after Civil War.

Sorry user, but I didn't notice the SJW boogymen showing up in discussions until that variant cover was removed, after that the fear and hate of SJWs within the comic community exploded.

>Putting out good stuff has nothing to do with not pushing a political agenda.
Really?

You know that Green Arrow is literally a uber liberal right ? this has been his character ever since the 70s for fuck sakes

The Scooby Apocalypse is really good though. At least much better from the CW II. It's refreshing for once to see good books finally receiveing some praise .

>Aside from credits, one topic which Stan strongly supported was a better pay rate for the people working with him. This is where many have come to realize that Martin Goodman was more involved with the new Marvel than had been previously mentioned. One of the main reasons that so many of the artists and inkers that came to Marvel in the mid-Sixties didn’t stay long was because of the terrible pay rates. Although Marvel was becoming financially successful after decades of stagnation, Goodman would not put more money into the comic book division of his holdings; only after the cajoling and sometimes begging of Lee would Goodman relent. He also was eternally pessimistic concerning concepts, often telling Stan to cancel books before the first sales figures would come in (as he did with Hulk and Spider-Man); if not for Stan, they would never have gotten off the ground and their popularity realized. Goodman was also ambivalent about talent. It didn’t bother him if an artist quit; to him they were replaceable commodities. Stan knew where the talent was and must have become increasingly discouraged to not have the financial backing to lure them away. Artists who would come to Marvel during this layout period were offered as much as 30 dollars a page, provided that they penciled and inked it; some were offered less. Joe Sinnott relates the story of how, when he inked the historic FF #5, he was paid seven dollars a page for inks; had he been paid more he may have stayed on and the history of comic art might have been changed. Marvel was notorious for having among the lowest rates in the business, and Goodman tried his best to keep them that way (good business savvy, but terrible on morale).

>This isn't about money, it's about ethical comics rather than blatant propaganda fuel.

holy shit i can't stop laughing at this fucking moron

fyi the SJWs are inside the house

Rebirth fan here. Please don't use "It's about ethics in comics." You're not helping.

Bi-weekly shipping titles is going to give DC a massive numbers boost going forward as well.

>7. Star Wars #20
>9. Star Wars Han Solo #
How long can the Star Wars comics bubble last?

How they've sold so well for so long already fucking baffles me since they're all pretty crap and aren't really even allowed to tell proper stories since they're not allowed to spoil things for the movies. They're basically just treading water story wise.

Heh. As someone who likes DC a lot, I'll just enjoy this while it lasts.
At least all my favorite DCYou titles weren't kill for nothing.

RIP based Midnighter

May we see him again, in Nightwing and elsewhere.

On one hand, I hear what you're saying, on the other, it's one of the most hilarious things I've read in a while.

>Midnighter becomed more associated with the Bat Family than The Authority