Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1952.5

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

kotonoha.gr.jp/shonagon/
youtube.com/watch?v=eWkj3ak90jM
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/14541/meaning/m0u/
youtu.be/sWibUMfzqcs
mega.nz/#F!Bc4CCawK!Y2eNpGSk_5qolEm9Vw_8rA
antimoon.com/other/myths.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

/balt/

>Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1952.5
Just stop counting already.

off topic bump

this is complete bullshit, right?

depends on how you define "knowing kanji", when you read some random chinese text you'll recognize most kanji, so 80% seems realistic
but this doesn't mean you won't have to complete relearn them, readings, different meanings

大儀である

/BLACK/

It's complete bullshit then, okay.

Second day of anki, am I supposed to write down the new words or should I just go with my memory?

Fucking Heisig fucked me up.
Even long after reading the RTK I keep stumbling on 相 when I encounter it - His retarded log-in-the-eye-Introspection mnemonic is always first to pop into my head when most of the times when it is in the compound - it is about mutual-ness, which I always struggle to remember.

>攪拌

襦袢

I'm reading 新世界より and it keeps throwing kanji/words like this 攪拌 かくはん at you
they used furigana for it though, so I'm wondering a bit how many japanese can't read that

I would also like to learn an answer to that from a native.

Meanwhile, using 'Innocent corpus' dictionary with the yomichan shows that your word was found 215 times in the corpus of ~5k novels.

For whatever that’s worth - for comparison a word like 友達 is 20k, while another simple word like 写生 is only 672.

Searching for 攪拌 on kotonoha.gr.jp/shonagon/ corpus (doesn't allow to link search result directly) have found it in, for example, among other results, in a 「綺麗な女のかわいいお菓子」 cook book.
わりとさせる。さらに、溶きほぐした卵と卵黄を3回に分けて加え、なめらかになるまで攪拌する。2 1にバニラオイルとレモン汁を加え混ぜ、Aを加えてゴムべらで切るようにさ

pushi o kudasai hahah

Just started to learn anime guys

誰もいない

遅い夜中だな。。

I recommend writing them down at least once, but just be yourself

マンコ*

Just go with memory tb.h
If writing helps you remember though, there's no harm done doing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=eWkj3ak90jM
How should I kill that guy?

Great advice, thank you!

I fucking love that album. Excellent taste

What's the best course of action with an anki deck you haven't practiced in nearly 10 months? Just go through the backlog, or reset progress completely?

So many feels from that album. I must have listened to it more than 50 times.

before INTERcourse she EYEd my WOOD

Go through the backlog. There's no point resetting all the cards' scheduling and ease factors and relearning is easier than learning etc.

>「ねえ、新しいバイト見つけた」
>「ワイ、誕生日おめでとう」
>「何w」
I make myself look retarded on purpose I swear

Just uninstall Anki. Or just do sentences. My anki deck takes 10 mins with sentences only. No out of context shitty vocab I don't care about

This is why vocab + post-rtk rtk studying is retarded.

Stop learning mnemonics and start learning some Japanese.

Can you show me one of your cards? I'm interested in doing sentences but I'm not sure how to do it so I get the most value.
Also every other word is a vocab word for me at the stage I'm at now, is it still useful to do sentences?

You should at least do core 2k on anki IMO if you can get an optimised deck. But going to core 6K is useless since (a) you see them everywhere and (b) unless you drastically increase how much you read, the vocab will be kind of useless.

So core2k > increase reading > add sentences with vocab on back for words you don't know yet > start writing > start speaking. That's just my advice. You don't want to waste your life on anki trust me, it's a crutch after awhile.

So what do you do for sentences, just add entire passages from things you're reading?

I have two decks, one for audio and one for text-only stuff. For text only you can add naver/Google translate voice files. I only copy short sentences. Don't do large chunks no matter how tempting, you'll regret it.

For audio decks, there's a ton of different resources depending on what your interested, anything with transcripts like games, dramas, drama CDs etc. Best to keep it varied.

So what's the challenge for the sentences? You just read it and click 'good' if you can?

Not him but make sure you can

> Read it without furigana
> Understand individual pieces of the sentence
> Understand the meaning of the whole sentence
> write it out on paper (usually only first time or when I get it wrong on Anki)

I just check I can pronounce it by reading it out aloud and that I also comprehend it. You will have time to do it when you don't have 10 decks going. Though when you are just starting, there will be some sentences where you don't understand function of every particle etc. When that happens I just click hard or good anyway, after a few months I usually find out what it means. I had sentences I didn't fully get for a year or so sometimes.

If you don't understand the sentence, what do you put on the back to verify you are correct?

I always understand most of it. I've never added a sentence that I wasn't able to comprehend at some level, I would usually ask someone first if I didn't understand any of it and then put that explanation on the back.

On the back just have English translation, vocab readings for difficult words and grammar notes (if any). You'll get used to it when you do it about what constitutes a failure/pass.

Here is example of format I use..

>playing Western video games in Japanese translation

Holy enchillada why didn't I think of this before!

I've listened to it a bunch over the years. It's the perfect album for driving at nighttime

Haha. I know. I just like the immersive environment. I even modded in Japanese radio stations

Video games are for children.

>Stop using this tool for studying and study
I don't think you thought this through.

It's not the best way to learn, I agree, its just for fun. I had far greater success when writing/conversing with actual Japanese people.

A long while ago I have switched overwatch to jap, as I know most of the lines in it by heart.
Spend about 15-20 minutes going through voice-lines in customization menu and mining them for every 2-3 hours of play.

Now doing the same with Destiny2, after beating it once and doing repeatable content to 305 in English on Warlock I have switched it to Japanese and re-played the story and the rest on Titan to 335

What's your level, britfag?

>命を削り合う
何の意味?
"sharpen each other's lives"? これは変
"improve each other's lives"?

Highly variable depending on context/situation, I can sound native if I say the right thing or someone asks me right question, but otherwise not really fluent (though I can read pretty well).

I'd say my level is higher in Anki than in Japanese because I tried to learn Japanese too passively. Hopefully others can avoid this mistake. I've only just started getting into serious writing.

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/14541/meaning/m0u/

なるほど
"Shortening each other's lifespan" was another one of my theories. It seemed odd, but I can see how it could be used as an expression similar to "working each other to death." ありがとう

I finished the 2k/6k deck awhile back and have been reviewing it to make it stick.

The problem I'm having now is I can't figure out what deck I should use now. The best part of the DJT Deck was the voiced cards, it really made the info stick unlike the other decks I've tried.

Does anyone know of another voiced deck I could continue with?

Yeah, the title of this game commentary seems to use it to describe a battle
youtu.be/sWibUMfzqcs

>I can't figure out what deck I should use now.
your never ending mining deck

How do you even mine sentences in an efficient manner? With real time import I have to take one second out of my reading and add it to my deck, which gives me more time reading and less time playing flash card mini games

Probably shouldn't mine sentences if you're not interested in flash card mini games.

>copy paste to notepad, separate fields with tab
>once the file gets relatively huge save as xls import to anki

そろそろ控えては?
What does this mean exactly?
I haven't really grasped the meaning of thing.

Is anki even necessary? Can you just read a lot and still learn? Or is that impossible?

you can of course skip the core decks and just immediately start mining words from actual content and only learn those words, but it would be extremely painful

It's possible, just much slower. I would rather do a little Anki every day than be chained to a dictionary for a few extra years.

If you live in Japan and have your own learning system yes, otherwise probably not. You'll at least need it for kanji and core 2k.

Are you just ankiing or are you reading anything?
Reading without mining is perfectly OK if anki isn't your thing, IMO.
Just doing flashcards without/instead of reading is an exercise in futility.

>Just doing flashcards without/instead of reading is an exercise in futility.
Pretty much this desu. You really need to make a habit of reading, and reading well. Not just scrolling past message boxes in RPGs way past your level. Start simple

At what point do you start production?

you should ask /jp/ djt

/djt/ I think I have made a terrible mistake
I downloaded the Core2k anki deck but it just feels wrong because I don't know some of the more complex kanji (I dropped RTK at the end of the second part).

What I would like to know is: did you guys start Core2K immediately or did you study isolated kanji first?

so what's the deal with desu's pronunciation anyway? i've seen some native japanese speakers pronounce the U at the end.

is it a dialect thing?

I've completed 6k without any isolated kanji study.
I can identify individual kanji and guess the reading of new words.

It's not like you've made a actual mistake. If you feel the need to study
isolated kanji, by all means give it a try, but it's not mandatory.

Are you guys planning on moving to Japan? Or are you learning the language just for fun?

Had a dream last night that I learned Japanese up until a conversational level at home and just packed up and left to teach English in the middle of nowhere. Might take it as a sign to be honest

>being an English teacher in Japan

Why not? I know literally nothing about the ins and outs of it.

Before I would say yes I'm moving to Japan (when I just started learning it) but now I'm not bothered to be honest. I'm way over yellow fever and all that nonsense. I'd sooner set up a company in the US at the moment rather than anywhere else. Would like to to deal with Jap clients, but not sure in what kind of business/market yet.

Why, are they different people?

What's the most effective way of beginning reading? Are their web tools that I should be using to help?

もっと読め

It will not be a waste of time read through the entirety of KKLC.
By which I do not mean - to flashcard it or hard learn every table in it, but read through it like you would read a book - it will build decent familiarity with kanji, even if you will not be able to recall them all on-sight.
Vocabulary in it is pretty good as well and appendixes are a must-read.

I read 50-100 kanji-articles from it every day, in parallel with actual reading.

>Are their

wow

Woah you fucking nailed him man, savage.

The guide contains some useful information on which tools can be used to read.
It mostly depends on the material you are reading. If you want to play VNs, you
can use a text hooker. If you want to read manga, you could use OCR.
If you want to read books, then there are VNs in the DJT library that you can literally just
read with rikai.

Personally, I just manually type the different kanji in Jisho to look up words, or I use radical search
if I don't know a kanji.

Guide has them.
Yomichan mouseover-dictionary is the best for chrome and firefox both, read its manual to install dictionaries.
Jisho.org if you want to look up some kanji and their compounds.

Try reading a short story Truck - Ryuunosuke.
mega.nz/#F!Bc4CCawK!Y2eNpGSk_5qolEm9Vw_8rA
This link has a book in an htm file it is in english and japanese both in parallel, and a recording of a japanese person reading it to listen along.

If I can make it work with my career after I graduate, then yeah, but that's far enough down the line that I don't need to worry about it. But I'm returning to uni and the school I might transfer to has solid exchange programs with Japan, so that is my goal for now. And I'm ok with not living in Japan, I have a lot of close friends and extended family in this country and that matters a lot to me. I've heard that it can be difficult to form friendships with Japanese people as an expat but I won't make any judgements about that until I experience it

そろそろ寝る時間だよ。スレを死なせないでください。
しないとお前らの母は代わりに寝る間に死ぬんだ

ok

Well, English shares 80% of its roots (greek/latin and a few other romance influences) with Portuguese, and learning English was intuitive as shit because of those synonyms/cognates, so I can see what they mean with that.

If you compare the 2600 hours to learn Japanese with the 600 to learn Portuguese for an EOP, that's a 77% reduction in effort, so there you are, around 80% of the path is covered by ancient connections.

Reminder that pic was made to nips, not to Poulos, so even if you're fluent in Japanese, you might not have the same ease to get into Chinese because you lack a lifetime of "intuition" for kanji.

I lived in Japan for 2 years and while I picked up quite a bit of vocabulary (and some kanji) I've never formally understood how to construct full sentences and learn proper grammar.

I want to pick up Japanese again but I don't know how to continue since i'm not exactly a beginner. Thoughts?

antimoon.com/other/myths.htm

Meant to spam

I'm always in the 60-70% range with my retention rate. Is this too low? Am I too ADHD for learning Moon?

妻 or 家内?

I'll take either.
>tfw crippling loneliness and hopelessly weeb
>no qt3.14 Jap girl to call you あなた

The difference is you'll stack up more reps.
If you can survive it, you'll eventually memorize it.

You can do some specific studies on what you're fucking up to avoid that, like doing KKLC if your kanji recognition sucks, but that will take time in itself, so it's a matter of choice between structure and bruteforce.

女神

Even with short sentences, the grind is real.
>恥を忍んで購入した軟弱雑誌を、力なく屑かごに放り捨てる。が、痛恨のコントロールミス。
List of words I had to add to anki:
>恥
>忍ぶ
>軟弱
>力ない
>屑
>かご
>放る
Holy fuck.

Don't worry about the stats, before I started using anki when I used paper flashcards there would always be a few cards that were the hardest to understand and I would end up using those the most. You're supposed to forget things as a natural part of language learning, so I don't stress too much about the words I'm struggling with because I know when I see them enough in context over time, they will become easy and second nature

Sent a new years card to the international sales rep I've been dealing with at work (we've been dealing in English), I think I didn't screw up. Progress progress

Você agora realiza que os gringos veem o seu post de ajuda com desprezo por causa da bandeira

I don't know. I'd like to visit and stay some time there, but LIVE there?
I mean, I wouldn't go there by myself. If I were to go live there, it would be with some other people.