Species is defined as "the largest group of organisms in which two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile...

Species is defined as "the largest group of organisms in which two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile offspring, typically using sexual reproduction."

Does that mean Kryptonians, Spartoi, Kree etc. are technically humans just with variations in DNA like other races of humans in real life?

Are horses and donkeys the same species?

No because that's not the correct, complete nor absolute definition of a species.

New data challenges conventional definition.

I remember they couldn't do it in Lois and Clark.

I get more confused when it comes to shapeshifting aliens (martians and skulls namely). I mean, should the kid be half of that alien species or have the complete parental DNA of whatever human the alien was during sex.

Depends on how wholely the shift. I'm not sure if the Skrulls do this every time or if it's just the sleeper agent method they used to infiltrate the human race but Tigra's baby who was fathered by a Skrull posing as Hank Pym is genetically identical to an offspring of Hank.

Yeah. It's pretty inconsistent. Was gay alien Hulkboy's mom in skrull form when Mar-Vell fucked her.

I still don't understand how genders work with skrulls. Are they like SJWs think humans are where you can change at will, is there only one gender and reduction is different, or are there natural males and females who will always be males and females on the inside despite their change and that is their natural state?

in the case of tigra i think it was a particularly case of the method used by the skrull, it was an important plot point of secret invasion that the skrulls use a magic method that make them perfect copies, in general hybrids tend to be half aliens.
maybe writers found alien sex more sexy if they can get pregnant they are right

The definition is old and obsolete. Nature doesn't give a shit about our woefully poor comprehension of how it works.

Technically, we don't know if Supes and Lois' offspring are fertile.

They produce a sterile offspring, dumbass.

Liger females are fertile, most canine hybrids are fertile, to the point wild species have evidence of hybrid mixing in their ancestry. The rules aren't clear cut.

But that liger fits perfectly within the old definition.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count unless the staunch majority of the offspring are fertile
Like, if 50% of offspring aren't fertile, it wouldn't count

If a certain species has the unique ability to reproduce with almost any other species, does that make everybody the same species or does it make this specific one a kind of virus or parasite?

There are exceptions to every rule in nature. There are instances where Animal A and Animal B can reproduce. Animal B and Animal C can reproduce. But Animal A and C cannot.

The term "species" is more for organizing and classification then a hard rule.

Skrulls are like Nameks, totally sexless. Only the "queen" can make new Skrulls. But they can become romantically attached to and reproduce copies with any weird thing, even catgirls.

That's just a ring-species though, and is a specific subset of the 'old' definition of species.

Well actually all the offspring are technically just Viltrumites with slightly different DNA
Viltrumite DNA is so powerful that the hybrid babies are 99% Viltrumite once they reach puberty instead of 50/50

so no

>trying to bring logic into capeshit

R u serious? Youre question is dumb youre dumb

The godwave already explained all of this

So like Xenomorphs, only hot.

Next page?

>Liger males are infertile
That means that lions and tigers aren't the same species

>starting an argument with "the official definition is..."

High school debate was miserable

>Xenomorphs can't be hot

So what happens? What is it?

probably because you sucked ass at it
probably because you started your arguments with "the dictionary definitions of "

It's the Brood.

I...really want the rest of this.

So download it.

I think they set off a bomb inside her to get them out. It was it some contrived plan with shrink Rays. Both?

*or was it*

Damn phone.

Bleh. Interest lost.

Kitty has a surprisingly spacious uterus.

I will buy whatever the fuck this is

I always thought that ANY setting where 90% of the intelligent species are near identical, or only vary in some minor cosmetic detail like skin texture, ought to imply that they all come from one single ancestor race

There are a number of different species definitions. Some would say what you have listed are different species, some would say they aren't.

Do you know the difference between offspring and fertile offspring?

The only thing i liked in the Green Lantern movie was when Hammond found Abin Sur he put up questions about evolution for the mere fact that Abin was humanoid meaning a possible cosmic ancestor, and then they didn't go into that and the movie continued to be shit.

I'd like to think that Kryptonians and Humans probably share the same genus allowing them to procreate or they probably have some gimmicky shit like the Asari allowing them to breed.

If it's a genus thing then like mules they're probably sterile.

Don't kryptonians have triple helix DNA or some bullshit? They can't be the same genus with such a stark difference

I want to thank whoever chose that uniform.

That's an artery. Red blood cells.

In Marvel, majority of the alien species were more or less created by the Celestials. Dunno about DC though.

Personally, I don't think so. Kryptonians and Humans descend from completely different genetic lineages in their own unique environments. But this is comics, so they can interbreed because the writers say they can. This leads to the kind of bullshit ST:TNG pulled with the ancient race that seeded planets like Earth, Vulcan, and Kronos to explain why characters like Spock, or B'elanna Torres exist.

Of course, this is the same universe where a woman was sculpted out of clay, and brought to life, so what do I know?

That is without doubt one of the worst things I have ever seen.

>Kitty Pryde, your vagina is haunted!

This. OP only knows the simplified basic biology they teach in primary school

which was always a bit of a silly definition

Skrulls lay eggs, so presumably she laid a skrull egg.

It's also reasonable to assume that as a species the skrulls have the ability to either impart local genetics to embryos (essentially giving them the ability to blend in from birth) or to learn automatically postpartum which forms to adopt.

Humans will fuck anything, user. AAAAANYTHING.

Yeah but that hank pym skrull already carried hank's human dna, that's why they didn't produce skrull offspring.

It means that the definition of "species" will need to be changed.

>the microscopic aliens were born inside a Jewish woman, which technically makes them Jewish too
>and she killed them all