Do you think there should be more homosexual characters in animation?

Do you think there should be more homosexual characters in animation?

I'd rather there be more homosexuals in animation than all the fags on Sup Forums

Where's her fangs?

>posting meme images

drink a cup of bleach please

sure

No. They add nothing. And if they do, their only purpose is being the gay character, which constantly reminds us of the fact that he/she/"it" is gay. Nowadays they are only token diversity characters and nothing more.

There should be an exactly one year period where there is an absolutely STAGGERING amount of homosexuals in animation, and then never again.

I really don't give a damn if they do.

I think there should be fewer bait threads on Sup Forums.

That's just Jeff Liu's style

No.

if the artist/creator thinks the character should be gay then sure

Unless it actually adds something to the story, then no
A characters sexuality hardly ever adds anything to the story and often feels like a cheap writing when they get paired with whoever else

Honestly its why I dont like reading Marvel that much, they stick gay characters in it all the time, which is great, but then theres like two pages with this minor character explaining literally all of their issues and how great their girl/boyfriend is and then the main character going on about how accepting they are and you can just taste the writer patting themselves on the back
i've also noticed its mostly black lesbians too

Diversity for the sake of Diversity isnt a good tactic

If you say AWARENESS/REPRESENTATION IS IMPORTANT, then I invite you to meet folks who've never seen a black person before. Even though we've had loads of different ethnicities shown on T.V, they do not think of them any better just because they saw a good black person on T.V.

While subconsciously, they MIGHT (and that's a tiny might) have a better impression of a different person before meeting them, real interaction is the only game changer that matters. Otherwise, nothing changes. You could get rid of every white, straight person on T.V, it would not change perceptions.

So go ahead and make your entire cast gay. It will not magically cause people to have epiphanies about how great it would be to have a gay friend or 'Gosh, maybe I shouldnt throw rocks at the fag at school". We will still have our experiences and perceptions. We understand that Cartoons and T.V shows are fictional and cartoons are not going to change anything because they are not remotely important enough to do so.

Also, remember when Star Trek had the first interracial kiss on T.V? While a momentous occasion on in the T.V world, Did that really change people's perceptions about race relations? Did that scene suddenly make it cool to Oil drill/burn coal?

so u be sayin
Diversity is just a cheap tactic to make weak stories noticeable.

Yeah, but only noticeable to their industry peers

"Yeah? Well, MY show has a transwoman! Clearly I am not only a brave and strong enough writer, but clearly my show is not only good enough, but IMPORTANT enough to get x time slot! It'll teach the kids!"

Meanwhile I have a friend whose a full on white nationalist who really liked Hey Arnold, but spent a good chunk of his youth in prison for mauling a Black man and an Asian man. He's not punching people now, he has a steady job and all that, but he still doesnt like blacks/asians/etc

Yes, but only lipstick lesbians

Yes but they should be my OTPs.

I don't know, but this thread feels like bait.

no user you are the bait

in all honesty i dont mind the homosexuality,but i dont get why it should always be up-front in media.and also the fact that every cartoon these days tries to be more like sitcoms reflecting popculture.

i miss back when cartoons just told a story of another world,instead of mimicking our own.

just kinda gets boring

No.

Do you think there should be more incestuous characters in animation?

Of course i do.

I was fine with it but then Steven Universe happened and now tumblr will not shut the fuck up about it so I'm against it now.

It's like shipping bait on steroids.

Wow, how can he do anything but stop now that you've told him you're mad?

I literally do not give a single fuck. I'm cool with homos & co. Also, most times sexual orientation is irrelevant anyway.

Sup Forums will kill me over this but sexuality matters. most storyline archetypes and characters work only with """"straight" characters. I don't know how to explain it well. Like getting the girl. It would only work if both of the leads are /het/. Their is just so many hidden assumptions in storytelling that is framed within heterosexuality.
Being gay is not just an add-on to characters. It affects your whole lives and how people treat you and see the world. A straight person will almost never understand how being gay works. It is just how it is. This isn't politically correct but gay and straight people, they ain't the same. Sexuality, like race, matters.

God, those two are what gave me my incest fetish

I think animation should catch the fuck up with the rest of the modern world and stop treating children like it's still the 1950's

Better than reading a chapter of Bleach for sure.

same here

Sure why not

I legitimately don't care as long as they are well written characters

No because once you say a character is homo then that's all the character becomes, the cartoon then tends to go into exaggerated events based around being homo. Same thing tries to happen with coloured, female and teams characters ( less so with female and coloured) but you get episodes based on *insert snowflake* for coloured characters it's racism females is female issues (too many to name) trans become all about I'm not *x/y* gender just look at all the trans characters in web comics if you want your character to be anything other than a person that character will go through flanderisation.

TL:DR No if you do just make very subtle references and nothing else.

I have to agree that a character's sexual orientation can matter a lot in the story and determine how it goes in some cases.
But you can always play variants of the heterosexual tropes. I really don't see the issue.
So SHE gets the girl, or he gets the GUY.
You just work in the appropriate behavioral patterns for your gays and lesbians to slightly alter the interactions between the protagonist and love interest.

I think the only real mistake is reducing characters to their sexuality. A hero who just tries to get laid is pretty boring. And so is one who is constantly on about how unfavourably they are treated by society.
To make gay characters work, you have to get over the fact that they are gay and play out the dynamics of their relationships.

But please, elaborate how you think that gay characters don't work in stories.
Right now I think they do work, just a little different.

More homosexual characters? Yes.
More Tranny characters? Hell fucking no.

Considering it makes inbred freaks, no.

I think there should be more quality cartoons, with or without faggots.

Or they could, you know, just do it well. No need to conform to your personal criteria deemed tolerable.

That's mostly a problem of writing for episodic shows, though.
You mostly get one episode max on a topic or side-character, so you try to address the topic at hand.
I find these things handled much better in linear stories that are equipped to handle a topic.
Once your character is not "the [minority]", things are usually better.

I think it doesn't matter.

The increased chance of mutation is almost entirely negligable. You only see changes over generations of inbreeding.

Yeah they COULD but they CAN'T hence the reason you get episodes about racism, female issues etc etc

Well they just got to get better at it then. And the first step to improving is failing.

America is so balls-deep in identity politics, virtue signalling and gender/sexuality/race warfare that they'll never get better at it. Getting beter at it is not even the goal.

But OP, you posted literally the only gem that isn't a dyke in Steven Universe. Also best gem.

But they don't know they suck and are failing to write good *insert character* when you get fans and online news articles gargling their e-balls because they have a *insert character*.

There has to be some out there relatively self-aware, and they'll be the ones to advance that aspect of the medium. No need to call it quits completely because the ones doing it first are understandably bad at it.

It would be bigoted not to include them.

As long as it makes sense for the characters.

More than social progression, when making a character gay, a writer should ask: does it progress the story?

All shows are episodic they have over arching plots but give me 5 examples of shows that have (for the sake of simplicity) well characterised, well written OPENLY and In the SHOWS CANON (so none of the but in the comic so and so is gay if it hasn't been openly mentioned by the character on screen it doesn't count) homosexual that has never been part of an episode/story/plot/situation based on the fact they are homo (side topics such as mentioning that they used to get bullied for being homo are on the borderline)

9/10 it doesn't it's a crutch that writers fall back on

I dont think it necessarily needs to do either, it should just be treated realistically and non-intrusively. If it doesnt sound like a character should randomly blurt out "By the way i'm gay" in that situation or according to their personality, then dont do it. Unless of course they're one of those kinds of obnoxious special snowflake kind who just say it for no reason all the time, then yeah, i guess it works.

Not Sup Forums, but Haruchika has a girl and a boy who are both in love with a male teacher. It's not a major part of the story for either character.

The fuck?
Your criteria are so broad, no matter what I bring up you could just dismiss any example. Also you consciously warp the argument to make it harder to find an example.
You essentially butted into a discussion of general ideas by planting goal posts for evidence and then built a fence around them to keep anyone from reaching them.

Wallace the most perfect Sup Forums related fag. Leeron is probably my favorite Sup Forums related fag. Outside of being good characters their homosexuality is usually played for some laughs but that kinda gives the idea that you can't be gay without there being a joke centered around it.

I think it's perfectly fine and easy to make a gay character and make the fact casually known as long as you don't try to force a moment to establish the fact. If I made a main character and gave him a best friend who happened to be gay, would that really even be a big deal? I don't view that as making someone gay for the sake of it, I'm just making a character. Some characters like different colors, others might be gay.

Never seen it so I'll take your word for it that's 1 example so 4 more now.

The user I replied to said gay stories work in linear plots I want examples that prove *x/y* characters can be written well without go focusing on the *x/y* aspect while adding stipulations that prevent someone from trying to say this character is well written and is gay in other media, also you dismissed my post and refuse to post any example which could be seen as you admitting that shows with gay characters can't write gay characters well. I'm asking you to prove me wrong I want to be shown that these characters can be written well and are not just being used to get e-peen points.

I think some strides should be taken to include more, because let's face there's been what, a single digit amount in the last few years? I mean sometimes it seems the reason some fanbases get so fucking crazy when it comes to the ones that do is because there are so few of them that they become super protective.

But I'm not saying they should force it in for the sake of diversity as some people have said, because jesus we don't want another Generation Zed or something tacked on like Korra. Basically as has said, realistic and non-intrusive.

>So SHE gets the girl, or he gets the GUY

who the fuck would watch that? really? HET romances are hated enough, you gonna shove how HOMO romances are better in our face? fucking please.

I think it worked fine with them, lots of straight characters use flirtation and such for humor even in those ones, contextually it's about the same. The joke isn't just that they're gay, but that can work at times as well.

And yeah it's like you said, it can be simply another trait of theirs, the amount of relevance it has can be anywhere from crucial to incidental. Again like with the hetero variation.

>2% of the population is gay
>10% has diabetes

I propose we only add gay characters if we add 5 diabetic characters for every gay character.

Or 2 diabetics for every bisexual character.

Or 10 diabetics for every transgender character.

Or just don't have them because literally everyone does it to claim representation and not because it's statistically representative or ever posing relevance to the plot or story.

no, because homosexuality is a psycho sexual illness

I don't read fiction to be restricted to real world statistical accuracy, that's a pretty stupid way to look at just about any creative medium.

Fuck off fatass

Why is representation a worse reason than statistics

If it pissed other people off and I can enjoy their descent into rage then I'm all for it

Because claiming brownie points for being representative doesn't work unless you represent every minority you can. It's disingenuous to do otherwise.

Writing a character that is gay isn't inherently bad, but when media conflates homosexuality to any level of normalcy, it tends to do so in a sloppy manner. There are more interesting minority groups to talk about.

>Do you think there should be more homosexual characters in animation?

It's the wrong focus. Getting animation out of the children only ghetto it's in is more pressing, and allow creators who want to to make more gay shit if they want.

Heterosexual relationships are restricted like it's 1952 in what they can show.