Why do people react with such anger and smugness to Treadwell's choice of lifestyle?

Why do people react with such anger and smugness to Treadwell's choice of lifestyle?

It's unbelievable to me that so many can watch this and feel no admiration for his passion, competence, and physical courage; nor any empathy for being fucking eaten alive.

Other urls found in this thread:

katmaibears.com/timothytreadwell3.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ysvpB2qfy-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>hippie goes innnawoods to hug bears
>bears eat him

#notallbears

Op I think he's great right up to the point where he brought his girlfriend and she got killed too. It's okay to be naive and get yourself killed but she didn't deserve that. I'm sure he told her it was safe and he did it all the time. I feel really bad for her.

>Timothy Treadwell was not the foolhardy person the media portrays him to be. In his 13 years in Alaska, he probably had more bear encounters than anyone, except maybe Vitaly Nikolayenko, who spent 25 years doing much the same thing Timothy did until a bear killed him in Kamchatka two months after Timothy was killed in Alaska. Contrary to his media image, Timothy was not one to blithely walk up to a bear. He was cautious, even fearful, around bears he didn’t know, but he developed relationships and mutual trust with a few individual bears over the years. I watched him sitting on the beach as a trusting mother came by and stopped a few feet from him to play with her cub without a care about Tim’s presence. Timothy sometimes videotaped his approaches to these bears to show that these feared animals are not always as fierce as generally thought. Those videotapes have been used to portray Timothy as reckless. He obviously loved the bears that allowed him to break through barriers. He sang to them and gave them friendly names, which further seemed odd to a public trained to think of grizzlies as ferocious.

katmaibears.com/timothytreadwell3.htm

Even if he was as foolhardy as you claim, are you really unable to even sympathize with him as a person? Is "lol what a retard" all you got out of this movie?

playing with fire and then getting burned should not be merited. there's plenty of people in the world that are experts in their craft that fail with the result ending in their death. let's compare timothy treadwell to let's say ayrton senna. senna chose to go with a different racing team because they had a more advanced f1 car. the year he took on the contract, f1 officials deemed the car illegal with the technology it had. not only did the new rule bode poorly with senna, it bode terribly with f1 as a whole. it made senna's car slow, and the rest of f1 extremely unsafe. the drivers and teams were in an uproar over this and senna himself said it would get people killed. in qualifying for a race, an f1 driver was killed in a wreck. the very next day during the race, senna dies in a similar fashion. it was the last time to date an f1 driver was killed on the track. senna knew full well that the regs and the conditions of the race might cause his demise, but still raced as hard as ever. knowing the fluctuating factors to your profession can cause your death is one thing. glorifying someone's death because they dedicated their life to a potentially deadly profession is another. how many times have you heard pro peace or anti war people demonizing a soldier who died overseas? why should i sympathize with treadwell because he played with fire? if a photographer died to lions in africa or a sea world trainer was drowned by a killer whale, i'd have the same reaction.
youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ

fake

What he did was incredible, but it was also insane. Herzog did a good job of showing Treadwell's personality, and the mix of alienation from people and semi-narcissistic savior complex he developed.

He knew he'd probably get eaten, and that by itself isn't so bad. If it was ok with him while he did what he loved, so be it. The real tragedy behind it is that his arrogance got another person killed in a pretty horrifying way.

Real brah. Treadwell should have been in an institution.

because he was an effeminate weirdo dipshit

what exactly was supposed to be likeable about him?

nothing surprised me about this film except the fact that he had a girlfriend.

that eskimo summed it up best: he changed the way bears acted around humans for his own sake without caring about the consequences.

He was a wanna-be actor attention whore who portrayed the people actually trying to do anything actually positive as villains for his own narrative self-worship. Everything he did was to service his massive ego, and nothing else. It's a shame that he died and it is a greater shame that his girlfriend died, but mostly, as a person, he seemed very irritating.

>Warner Herzog film
>Warner
wot? how can you fuck up like this on a movie poster?

>Tfw no gf
>Tfw this literally insane man can convince a girl to fuck him and go to live with bears
??

He was a fool and an amateur and he was toying with forces of nature that he didn't even begin to understand. People like him and the Into The Wild guy deserve to be eaten by bears/starve to death alone.

I know, right? What the fuck is wrong with us?

This. I don't consider people who risk their lives for thrills to be idiots. They're not stupid, they're just making a choice that maybe I wouldn't make. But like you said, when they endanger other people they lose my respect.

One thing people overlook about Timothy is his utter arrogance.
It's like the fact that he essentially went camping in the wilderness with bears gives him this merit of achievement or something. He did what people at zoo's and sea world do everyday as a job, only for a few months and usually by himself. Not that extraordinary desu.

Glad he was eaten honestly. Lesson learned for society.

Guarantee she had rocks in her fuking head. rather stay single and enjoy my freedom.

>expect that the movie is going to paint him as a sympathetic, noble person like Into the Wild
>everyone in the movie basically shits on him but his own mother, including Herzog himself

One of the loudest gut laughs I've ever had in my life was when Herzog just ripped the guy apart describing the bears
>And what haunts me, is that in all the faces of all the bears that Treadwell ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of nature. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of the bears. And this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in food.
I mean the guy died and all but that shit was comedy gold

>competence
You were doing so well but you pushed it too far, it has to stay believable
7/10 good try

user it's really not that hard if you'll settle for a basic girl that you don't really get along with. thats unironically what most people do

Basically the message in Life of Pi - animals are totally pragmatic, psychopathic creatures with no desire for or concept of higher emotional understanding.

Perhaps the reason people deny this is because it makes humanity less alone.

guy was just an attention whore

bears are wild animals and should be treated as such, you won't catch me walking up to pet a fucking bear

Its a fucking animal. You either don't fuck with them, or equip yourself appropriately to dominate them.

He died doing what he loved...being torn to pieces and devoured by an 800 pound bear

>competence
top lol

Nah, humans just want a cuddly world that they understand so they apply their human shit to everything in nature. Like in the past everything was mystical, fearsome, not known and humans created gods\spirits with human attributes\emotions to explain everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=ysvpB2qfy-A

>Dealing with niggers

They are ferocious when they're hungry as he found out.

Wasn't it also her choice to go up there with him tho? it's not like he forced her onto that plane

Even he brought a valueable lesson to dumb fucktards and fed the bear. More than I ever did desu.

>omg he was so good at petting bears
why is the world so cruel?

I think the point is that he conveyed to her a greater sense of safety than was actually present (read: he lied), as evidenced by the fact that they both got eaten the fuck alive
She trusted him and he betrayed that trust

>except maybe Vitaly Nikolayenko, who spent 25 years doing much the same thing Timothy did until a bear killed him in Kamchatka two months after Timothy was killed in Alaska.

>"Vitaly must have begun to take pictures of the resting bear, but the tree trunks and branches were in the way, and he must have decided to get inside the grove. His footprints lead into the grove after the bear. He approached the bear at a distance of three meters", Rebrikov said.

>A large swath of orange pepper spray indicated that Nikolayenko tried to defend himself, and a flare gun was lying next to the body, unfired. His camera was broken and bloody nearby.

So he follows a still undernourished bear into its rest area and pisses it off.

Do these guys just decide they want to die? Both obviously must have known better.

They isolate most functional people in their lives by being annoying, pestering nuisances and then go innawoods and piss of the local wildlife

Vitaly was an old fuck and carried something for self-defence(though it didnt helped him in his last "interaction") - maybe that's why he lasted much longer. Russia's male life expectancy is about 61-63 years.

>His camera was broken and bloody nearby.
where's the footy?

>its another herzog finds his 'absurdist existentialism and the overwhelming indifference of the universe' philosophy in a deranged maniac episode

I don't understand it either.
I mean, I don't admire him at all but to me it was pretty obvious watching the documentary that he had some kind of mental issues, as evidenced by the fact that he actually fucking goes to live with grizzly bears and didn't even seem to be fully aware of the danger, despite many warnings.

At least based on the videos he just didn't seem to be all there mentally, and crazy people generally aren't known for making sound and rational decisions.

>onto that plate

Generally speaking Grizzlies don't get along well at all with other Grizzlies, let along strange hippies. They are not social animals by nature.

Being eaten alive is one of my greatest fears. I don't even know why I'm still in this fucking thread.

did timothy deserve to die? he said repeatedly that he hates humans, that alone is disgraceful and evil. could you imagine meeting him how rude he would be? imagine you worked with him and needed a favour, he would be such an ass im sure. it says he was a heroin addy too. not a pleasent person imo. Ive met people like timothy treadwell before, they are assholes to people and get bullied as a result (rightfully so). they are self obsessed and huge ego maniacs. they are weak and want to appear different/strong so they identify with edgy shit or patrician shit. most normal people would scream if they seen a bear and would want the bear shot on sight (as it should be), but there are always contrarians who do the opposite of group think to appear contrarian

I feel bad for him, but Herzog literally said that Treadwell was a disturbed individual with a death wish, so I know why people act that way

They are scared OP. They are scared of what they don't understamd and ultimatley scared that the lifestye they endorsed is wrong or at the very least unideal.

So they go on sip their coffee and shake their head as they tis tis. But at the back of their mind they are scared shitless that their lifestyle and society are wrong and could be better.

Now don't get me wrong Treadwell clearly had a lot of issues that made him incapable of interacting with humans but I think he saw an alternative to current human society. I think he thought he could tear down the divide between the human and natural world and build a utopia where humans and wild animals co-existed. Its a fruitless venture but on some level I do respect him because he was dissatisfied with life and sought an alternative.

Bump for da bears

We just want to hear him crying while a bear eats him alive.

We watched this in high school english class and had to compare it to Into the Wild (book not movie). Treadwell was a fucking moron but at least he died caring about something other than himself. McCandless was a dense jackass Chad.

i admire the solitude but his hobby was too dangerous

literally can't help myself with the "i told you so"

Because he's not some sagely eccentric, he's a stupid fucking hippie who TRAGICALLY suffered the extremely obvious consequences of his actions after being warned by fucking everyone.

He was gay and would have found more solace in the other sort of bears

I think Dennis Miller said it best...... "Even if I could talk to the animals, I still wouldn't. Because they're FUCKING ANIMALS."

He had a mental illness. I don't know how you can watch that documentary and not think he was fucked in the head

He WASN'T gay. He makes that very clear.