twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the one in the hobbit

>announce arrival with horn blowing
>form up visibly on the hill
>relinquish the element of surprise
>give the orcs time to form ranks against you
>then charge
Bravo Hackson.

do you think an army of 10000 people can sneak up on someone?

obviously this one can since the orcs were caught completely off-guard until they were given enough time to reform by that speech

>element of surprise
>the Mordor army has flying creatures who could see them the moment they left Helm's Deep
Stick to eagleposting

Morale boosting their own army and demoralizing theirs was more useful in this case

And as other anons said you aren't going to secretly get six thousand horses all the way to a standing army in the middle of a field

AURHHHUH

>ywn ride with the Rohirrm

>form up before cresting the hill
>charge over the hill
>blow horns while already charging
>orcs who were obviously un prepared for their arrival don't have time to form ranks

can someone explain this scene to me?

cis gender white males killing oppressed pacific orcs

>get btfo by the enemy anyway because your men don't have the morale to face so many abominations

>Gondor calls for aid!
>And Rohan will answer
>yfw

Fun fact if you read the books you'll know that Theoden had a peasant girl who was abducted from her family and raped nonstop with Theoden's 11-inch spiked cock.

Aye truely the greatest scence in the greatest movie of all time

What do you think the suicide rate among veterans in middle earth was?

I would imagine that even if you knew they were coming, hearing the horn and seeing thousands of riders charge into you must be pretty terrifying.

My favourite thing about this will forever be the single horseman at 6:07 who revs the fuck out of his horse

Hollywood showing us that they know nothing about medieval warfare.

>all horsemen have shields hanging from their horses, but don't use them against archer attacks
>riding cavalry into a footpike army
>a race literally bred for war can't into phalanx to utterly wipe the cavalry away

i would imagine that even if you knew they were coming, seeing the menu and seeing thousands of maggoty breads for three stinkin days must be pretty frustrating

just another hate crime against people of color

sensible chuckle

I agree that the charge did come by surprise. That being said, he only took time to organize his soldiers into a formation before charging. Just enough time for some pikemen and archers to get sloppily arranged on the front line.

shit i thought i was the only one who noticed the weird sound he made

>race literally bred for wa
bred for war, not trained for war though, orcs win by numbers not skills

>>Blocks your path Baggginssssssss

Uh yeah, purpose of cavalry is to break infantry, not just kill them. You want them scrambling and running from you in fear, makes them easier to run down.

>tfw this section differed greatly from the book

everyone else felt that after Theodens speech, Aragorns speech was kinda flat?

Theoden's speech comes with the closing of his character arc, the rising of the sun when everything seems lost, the Orcs getting scared shitless, and is straight and to the point. Plus that score.

Aragorn's has none of that, gors on too long, and lacks any sense of urgency.

Yes

i'd say there's at least one better scene in about 80% of movies i've seen

Having read the books first, Return of the King was dissapointing

>ywn participate in a cavalry charge

>ywn fall to the ground after your horse stumbles over a rabbit hole and get trampled to death by your comrades

>ywn ride with the Rohirrm

The funny thing is if you're white, then you had ancestors who looked and lived quite a bit like the Rohirrim, and probably fought in wars that resembled theirs.

I'm Saxon German on my dad's side and mostly Anglo on my mom's so my people were literally Rohirim-types wearing even the same types of helmets.

That probably has actually happened many times in ancient battles

Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Personally I think this is by far the greatest scene from Lord of the Rings;

youtu.be/fsbDigj7w5c

rabbits don't make their holes in battle grounds

There's no such thing as "battle grounds" in the sense that there are dedicated places for battles to take place.

In this case it's just the fields surrounding a city. How would rabbits know to avoid making burrows there?

because rabbits don't make holes in wide open spaces with nowhere to hide where predators can see them

Ain't know rabbit expert, but I've personally found burrows right in the middle of people's yards before.

Some brief googling seems to support this
>Eastern cottontails, the most common rabbit species in the United States, build shallow nests of grass and fur in grassy areas near bushes or trees and often right out in the open.
vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/what-should-you-do-if-you-find-a-bunny-nest

Idiot spotted. Impossibe to not make them notice you.

This is how it was done.

That's literally what they did in the book

>medieval
Kill yourself

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

>Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
>Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
>spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
>a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
>Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

>Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

except saxons formed exclusively a foot-based army.
The aasthetics are completely anglo-saxon though

WE WUZ ROHIRRIM AND SHIT

Nope
Everytime I fucking cry and shake in unisson with the horses.
Cringe, I know, but damn.

But what about Theoden's tax policy?

AND THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED

But that "for frodo" tho...

Literally kino

KINO WRITING

The world in Tolkien's Legendarium is not medieval . This is one of the more common misconceptions about his world.

flat tax across the land from all the fiefdoms along with the rest of the usual feudal obligations