Was this as bad as it looked?

Was this as bad as it looked?

It was great and looked great.
so yes

What are you talking about? Aeon Flux was one of the few truly subversive and creative cartoons to have ever been made.

Hit and miss, just like everything else that came from that expermental era.

Art and scenery were amazing; plots and characters were subpar.

What looks bad to you?

The humans are more misshapen than every One Piece character

It's supposed to look ridiculous. The plots are just as exaggerated and absurd.

i only saw one or two episodes on mtv in the 90s and had no idea what was going on except maybe it was dystopian.

maybe they're supposed to be misshapen to reflect the tone of the story?

It's Peter Chung did you expect CalArts?

They are heavily stylised as far as anatomy is concerned.
That was mostly done to aid the the body language in the beginning, as those were silent shorts.

But that is kind of Chung's thing. I actually like it personally but it can be very off putting.

Worked better as shorts on Liquid Television where she died at the end of every episode.

The premise was too thing; it didn't transition to a serialized, half hour series very well.

>The art is bad because it's supposed to look bad.

I've never understood this argument. In an primarily visual medium, what benefit is there to looking bad when people make their first impressions on a work based on how it looks?

>maybe they're supposed to be misshapen to reflect the tone of the story?
shit, I never thought of this.

The art was based heavily on the works of Egon Schiele. Visually it was genius.

Being out out of proportion isn't indicative of bad art.

literally the best animated television series of all time. still re-watch it yearly 20 years later.

when this was on, i never watched it. But i like Maxx and The Head...The Head was awesome. This, I wouldn't even watch it it looked so weird.

The shorts were excellent. The one with the alien eggs was absolutely haunting, especially that crunching sound.

I don't know about the series, I didn't invest in it.

It is overrated, plus she really was incompetent.

No, millenial. Just because it doesn't look like gumball or whatever calarts shit you eat up, doesn't mean it was bad.

Where are the shorts? They sound better.

Season 1 and 2.

What is the Aeon Flux of this decade?

Thanks.

You sure are angry at nobody in particular.
It can look like shit while still being good, yes, but that doesn't mean it can't look like korean garbage.

>all art should strive for fotorealism
Not this shit again.

Are you trying to argue that there are objective standards for what looks good? Personally, I really like how Aeon Flux looks. Does that make me wrong?

The humans were supposed to look misshapen and weird. It's surrealism. Chung exaggerates the most bizarre and grotesque-looking parts of the human anatomy beyond what's realistically expected in order to incite a reaction from his audience and tell the story he wanted to tell.

You sir win the idiot of Sup Forums for today

Aeon Flux is GOAT. CALplebs will never understand it though.

It was weird. I loved it. I still love it.

Just don't expect conventional storytelling.

>The Head was awesome. This, I wouldn't even watch it it looked so weird.

...Hilarious.

I watched Aeon Flux when I was a kid, own it on DVD, and I still like calarts stuff. So go fuck yourself.

> people that don't get that the designs are mean to emphasize the animation
> even when Chung said it a million times

It was the 90s. Remember how 90's comics looked?

It was basically that.

I can understand, some of the plots and monologues were a bit full of pointless sci-fi and philosophy rambling. But at the same time I thought it explored the characters more than the shorts could have.

It really had nothing to do with that. Do you even know what you are talking about?

One was deliberate exaggeration for the sake of expression, the other was hackneyed imitation and misapplied dynamic.

I hated its lack of compelling narrative, it was entirely about the animation in motion and style over substance

>Hey this episode is literally based on a dream, fuck plot, they run through a train or some shit.

>plots and characters were subpar.

Fucking this

Calling the characters 1 dimensional is generous, because at least then they'd be consistent

the show was too kinky

but dat ending tho

What do you mean by that?

>Worked better as shorts on Liquid Television

This. Aeon Flux worked best as a showcase for Chung's quirky, dynamic animation/directorial style (which was quite novel at the time), with only a hint of backstory giving some sort of narrative skeleton to hang it all on.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was all it was supposed to be, but the popularity of the Liquid Television shorts had Chung turning Aeon Flux into something it clearly wasn't meant to be (a half-hour weekly series).

she looked weird as shit naked, so that always put me off somewhat

I watched Maxx a year or so ago, and God damn was I disappointed.

Oh my god they killed Aeon!

You bastards!

i do love watching her about to suck cock and then get shot in the head.

It's more of a psychological comic.

(Not OP) What about The Herodotus File comic/file dump?

I have never read it, go on

Charlize Theon

They're mostly text documents giving some background to the history of Bregna and Monica, or its just dangerous revisionism that must be ruthlessly crushed.

Intro:

(skipping the copyright page)
Laughable attempt at discrediting our leader Trevor Goodchild.

To be fair, Trevor had the better philosophy.

I agree, he cared for his people, was concerned with their health and happiness.

This basically inspired Mirror's edge.

1990's was all about dystopian post apocolapse cyber punk futures were we are ruled by heartless corperations and life is cheap.

Got done reading this thread...holy shit Sup Forums, you are becoming like Sup Forums.

There are 96 pages in this, too much for me to storytime, so I'll just do up to 10.

Map reminds me of well known longstanding geopolitical divide.

Really it couldn't be less obvious what with the wall and the death zone and everything.

Sup Forums invaded around the Avengers and Man of Steel, ramped up with the CW DC shows and will never ever leave now

>Aeon Flux looks bad
I want to squeeze you into an incomprehensible mush

I enjoyed the surrealism.

It's pretty good. Tries to be smart and deep, but it fails at that about half the time. Still a pretty damn good show and Goodchild is a great character.

>Tries to be smart and deep, but it fails at that about half the time.
>prattles on about how someone's work is pretentious
i bet you leave the house in a cape

You're not supposed to look away, dumbass.

any more of that heroditus file user?