It comes at night

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13203166
avclub.com/article/trey-edward-shults-3-days-grief-became-it-comes-ni-256635
screencrush.com/it-comes-at-night-review/
screencrush.com/trey-edward-shults-interview-it-comes-at-night/
io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-painful-inspiration-behind-the-horror-movie-i-1796063263
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cliched psychological thriller wearing a horror disguise to trick people into watching it

Kino. Just saw it and a bunch of normies were audibly disappointed.

the only people who didn't like it were trailer fags see

>it bores at night

Pretty good

False advertisement

8/10
Probably the most effective pleb filter we'll get this year.

What were you expecting, faggot?

what killed the damn dog

I still don't know. The entire god damn movie was just suspense. ZERO CLIMAX. We got maybe 2 minutes of a fight and then just nothing.

need to wait for a high deff rip or a DVD, but you can vaguely see some figures at the top of the hill

The three other people in my theater started laughing hysterically when the credits rolled

the only real question anyone should have

and i assume you mean- who infected the dog?

because it was pretty clear that paul shot stanley

The monster doesn't appear until the post-credits scene.

Who were the two random guys? Just scavengers? Did they actually know Will?

I saw the trailer and set a reminder for when I came out. Completely forgot about it and went to see it anyway after seeing it didn't get terrible reviews. Anyway, really liked it and it played really well on the current zombie tropes.

I come at night too if you catch my meaning

;)

>ZERO CLIMAX
Wew, that's the most genuinely pleb thing I've heard in a while.

it's hard to say.

was will really jumping in to help paul fight them?

or was it some orchestrated ambush, and they were (possibly) the alluded-to kim's brother?

who knows.

will seems pretty legit after paul kills them, but you never know.

will seems pretty legit throughout the film whenever anything comes up for that matter. his only mistake was to pull a gun on paul instead of just trying to negotiate with him.

is there anywhere to watch this online.

wait, i think that Mr Crow might be on to something here...

try google friendo

What even is this? Haven't heard abt it

As someone who loved this movie, I empathize a little since they got tricked by the marketing campaign.

Fuck em, it's A24. If they wanted Blumhouse garbage then maybe they should be more careful about picking movies.

I did.

yeah, that's what i meant sorry

A24 is pretty impressive

i do find Blumhouse promising also

one annoying this is, why didn't Paul just let Will go if he knew they were infected? they were gonna die anyways and infect anyone they run into

Why was Will shady with the whole brother situation when they were drinking together? Ruined the whole trust that was being built cause he was lying...?

Why would you let them go? Paul didn't seem like the kind of character that was sympathetic to the sick.

Like it was stated, Paul was worried that desperate people do desperate things, so he was worried they would come back for him and his family.

thisdid you even watch the movie? he literally says almost exactly that word for word

I think the entirety of Paul and Will's relationship hinged on mistrust. I don't think Will told the truth about many things, he was just a good liar. Same with Paul. Paul stated he was a history teacher. But a history teacher with a house like that in the middle of bum fuck nowhere?

The movie was good in that I never knew when the truth was told.

this movie is like when your gf sucks you off and right as your about to cum just stops and starts texting her friend

this.

i deeply empathize with paul and sarah, who were just taking every precaution for their family.

Poor Travis, died a virgin.

ye i dont blame either family for what they did. just the way the cookie crumbles

yeah. i feel like the character development, rising action, and catharsis was spot-on with what each character would realistically do in their positions.

The camera shots were just so DAMN GOOD

GOD

pretty good thriller, i expected horror but w/e, still a decent
how did the dog get inside

Was pleasently surprised. Expected jump scare horror nonsense, but instead got a good film. I'm confused as to what some of the scenes were supposed to imply like towards the end when Travis is seen walking through the red door. Was this another vision or did he really infect himself?

what? you dont like ambiguity? you dont like movies that dont explain themselves at all? you dont like plot holes? what are you a pleb?

ANY LEAKS ONLINE YET THO

>youtube comments
Really picking from the bottom of the barrel there.

It. Everything was It. Somehow, somewhere an ancient evil was awoken which spread a plague and the evil spirit roams the world.

1. travis sleep walked and opened the door himself went out got the dog came back and then touched the kid which is how the kid got infected

2. travis chased down the dog when he first ran away and found and shot the monster, brought back his dog and was infected, the rest of the movie is a series of fever dreams

3. the dog was already infected from the grandpa

4. evil ghost / spirit non entity that doesnt abide by the same rules we do

5. the dog walked home and picked the lock himself

6. the kid opened it and the dog was there waiting and walked inside

7. the monster or "it" whatever it was broke into the house bringing the dog back and molesting the kid which was why he was in the hallway

8. dude symbolism LMFao

9. its a plot hole in a movie fillled with plot holes

10. wait for someone smarter than us to figure it out

pick one

>how did the dog get inside

it was andrew. his whole- "i don't remember." and his parents' defense were just the natural responses of a child and parents protecting their child in that situation.

they say- "he could barely reach the lock on the door"
but the fact remains that barely or not, he could, and whether he was sleep walking, barely awake, or fully awake while he was doing it- what else do you expect a little child to do when they hear the sound of the 'family' dog (who tragically ran away recently) at the door? you would let him in. his instinct for following rules and self preservation isn't as developed as Travis and especially the adults. he may not have even remembered that the door isn't supposed to be opened, and just thought- Stanley! and went to let him in.

it was a vision.

travis is infected by andrew who is infected by stanley.

I don't think you can get an honest answer out of people anymore on Sup Forums. There are people that defend this film as if they heavily invested in it and are completely blinded to its faults. Then you have others who constantly just push it because it's hip (THE thing the cool kids are talking about) and because being hip is everything with the kids they overhype/overrate things for no other reason. On the other side you get people who are being contrarian for contrarian's sake, and others who play along who probably haven't even seen the film. It's a whole fucking mess of fuck, nothing but a fucking list of meme non-replies and meme-opinions.

>the kid let him in
he didn't have a set of keys
he couldn't have opened the door
or was it only locked from the outside

yeah, the keys are for locking the door from the outside- i think.
i think, he would have only had to open the latch, which they said he could "barely" reach, and then open the door.
but that's a good point- maybe he couldn't open the door because it was locked with a key?

can you usually open a door from the inside even if it has been locked with a key?

>There are people that defend this film as if they heavily invested in it
I really would not be surprised if the faggots who made this were shilling it on Sup Forums.

>how did the dog get inside

Travis opened the door. Part of the virus' symptoms are hallucinations, insomnia, ect...so he did it during one of his episodes. That's why the little kid started showing the same signs when Travis found him in his grandfather's room. The dog was also infected, hence it barking at nothing in the woods because it was hallucinating.

There is nothing to discuss about this movie. Why is everyone pretending it was ambiguous at all?

how did they get infected in the first place then?

MY PENIS

lmao
got im

Was Paul Travis' real dad? The mom seemed too light to have such a dark kid with Joel Edgerton

Who opened the red door?

>everyone says how amazing this was and that only trailer plebs disliked it
>literally all any post on Sup Forums and reddit about is irrelevant "who opened the door" theorizing

It was all just a bad plot device to get the families fighting, who or what or how doesn't mean anything in the film and hack screenwriting disguised as ambiguity does not make a good movie

Fucking shit I'm saying what he did wasn't well thought out. It's like the fucking bane meme. Will was already dead. Anyone they run into is going to be dead. The only real loss the letting the guys leave was the food and water they would take.

also they should have just kept spying on the people when they were making their plans.

i got the feeling that he wasn't the biological father, not because of how dark or light Travis was, but because of the social interaction between all three members of the family. also, some of the scenes with just Travis seem to reflect that also.

that being said, there is a picture of the three of them together from a long time ago. so they have been a family for some time, and i think that that is also reflected in some of their interaction and conversations as well.

I'm glad the movie doesn't make sense and barely has an ending. Plebs btfo!

I guess the little kid heard the dog come back, and let the sick dog in the first door (possibly while sleepwalking?), but the dog didn't come in the second door, and the kid got infected, and went up to grandpa's room, and was found by the teenager, and carried back to bed, and then the teenager heard loud sounds coming from the sick dog that couldn't move, and he ran up and got his dad and so on and so forth. Or this movie - which barely has any plot - had a glaring plothole. Or none of it is to be taken literally and it's all like his strange dreams/premonitions.

I thought it was well-made from a technical perspective, but the story was a short film that needed work stretched into a feature-length film. I feel like these days filmmakers are so technically proficient, but by and large have nothing to say and no story to tell. Style is nice, but it's all starting to look the same anyways. All the slick film school digital kids. I rarely see any voices emerging in film anymore. Then again, what's the point when all the critical community can talk about is race, class, and gender - the story be damned.

But maybe I'm just an old grump.

Just saw it tonight and was very let down. Pacing was too slow and a lot of the story progression and dialogue was way too predictable and cliché. I was super pumped to watch it too...fuckin blows, man.

U havin a giggle? I don't remember seeing shit.

>doesn't make sense and barely has an ending.

is that really what you took away from it?

You just don't get it man

It should've been obvious to everyone that no monster was going to appear after getting over an hour into the movie with absolutely no mention or implication of one.

Good pleb filter, but it still isn't as effective as The Witch, because It Comes At Night is just an OK movie, while The Witch is fucking phenomenal.

BUT HOW DID THE DOOR GET OPENED TO LET THE DOG IN!?

Of the more recent meme horror films everyone memed (Don't Breathe, It Follows, Babadook, The Witch, The Conjuring, Get Out), this one is the most meme. Extremely simple plot played out exactly how you'd expect it to, yet shrouding itself in ambiguity so losers can force themselves into liking it. that's seven dollars.

it doesn't matter

"It"

I feel like the actually competent thing to do would be ditch the monsters entirely as the film goes on (so no jump scare dreams, no returning dead dog) and make the kids lust for his neighbors wife turn everyone against each other. It's set up so well then completely dumped for some reason. From there you could actually tell a decent story about sex and race and all that on top of the cliched "man is the monster" stuff.

>7 dollars

Get cucked my dude.

>I thought it was well-made from a technical perspective, but the story was a short film that needed work stretched into a feature-length film.

They just didn't overdo it, that's all. It was very intentionally set in place and time without much explicit background, but with plenty of natural exposition as the film progressed. It blurred the lines of what could be considered minimalist or maximalist, and encouraged the audience to appreciate the entirety of the film's universe, nuances and all.

i came away from it very impressed with the movie's effect, in a way that i hadn't felt since i first saw The Village in theatres, and It Comes At Night was much better than that as a movie and as a realized work of art. the genius and success of the film is still better understood if one takes the time to read about the director's process and the personal events in his life that affected the work and ultimately helped the film culminate into what it is- a significant cinematic achievement. worthy of more praise than The Village, Children of Men, The Forest, Blair Witch (2016), or most recently Get Out. And far better than the run-of-the-mill Wrong Turn series.

It Follows and The Witch were bretty gud

11. The kid was a werewolf and mauled the dog.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Was there a particular interview you think would be worthwhile? I haven't looked into the director or the story behind the making of the film at all.

Yeah, The Witch is the one I liked the most of those, it actually went for it, unlike this film, going as far as to show a devil goat and family of witches.

>people were actually upset that there were no monsters, and instead can't enjoy the spiraling paranoia and mistrust

Also

strawpoll.me/13203166

avclub.com/article/trey-edward-shults-3-days-grief-became-it-comes-ni-256635

screencrush.com/it-comes-at-night-review/

screencrush.com/trey-edward-shults-interview-it-comes-at-night/

io9.gizmodo.com/the-dark-painful-inspiration-behind-the-horror-movie-i-1796063263

I don't think anyone has a problem with there being no monster, but they do have a problem with the bait and switch trailer, plus the movie being called It Comes At Night.

I knew it wasn't going to be what the trailer implied and my biggest problem with the movie was that I think the ending was an extremely shitty cop-out and was barely even an ending.

'It' in the film refers to the guilt Travis was feeling over what they had to do to survive.

Well then they shouldn't have advertised it like a fucking suspense horror thriller.

>there were no monsters, and instead can't enjoy the spiraling paranoia and mistrust

Why not both?

anyone else make the mistake of watching the video chris stuckman made about this movie?

no spoiler tags whatsoever, and he gave away the whole premise including the ending. what an assclown

I feel like the witch was just falsely advertised as a horror as well, I'd say it's more of a period piece drama/thriller

you have to take into account the atmosphere. also, it comes at night could refer to the nightmares, dreams, visions experienced during nighttime and alluding to the night. most literally, stanley returns at night and is the ultimate agent that brings about the death of the main characters. but the title functions symbolically, and is also a major spoken and unspoken theme throughout the movie. the contrast in the general mood, the characters' headspace, and the events that take place throughout the film when it is either day or night, is a major contributor to the film's suspense, atmosphere, rising action and plot development.

What if the title wasn't meant for a monster or a creature to come out at night. But instead it's all of the characters paranoia that comes out at night

I enjoyed the movie.

What I love about this movie is that we don't have all the answers. The 2 main characters (father/son) do not have all the answers. That's the starting point. From there we only learn and know what the main characters learn and know as it unfolds.

There is no big reveal. There are no explanation. The main characters do not know what is out there and what causes the sickness, therefore we do not know either. We truly go along for a suspenseful, terror fueled ride

>Who opened the door "plot hole"
Again, we only come along for the ride with father/son. SOMEONE unlocked the door. Likey the sleepwalking kid or the sleep deprived teenage nigger

Many questions are left unanswered. Who opened the door? Is their something demonic out there besides the virus? Did will know the 2 hillbillies. Did kim want to fuck the teenager? Was the MC teenager sick from the beginning? Was the drawings throughout the house sightings the teenage MC had seen prior to our entrance into this world.

And the greatest question of all had to do with morality. Specifically the ethics behind MC paul and his nigger wifes decision to kill the entire family upon learning the baby became an infected.

I saw someone earlier in a post mention will mad a mistake by pulling his hidden gun on paul. That instead, he should have made a trump like deal. Wrong, because paul hwd already made up his mind to kill will, kim, and the baby before knocking on their bedroom door.

Another thing no one talks about. The plausibility of this movie adds another layer of horror. This isn't over the top evil dead bullshit. This is something that could legitimately happen. This is something that absolutely 100℅ WILL HAPPEN someday. (Plague)

And when it does happen. Who knows what supernatural force you'll attribute to its cause, real or imagined. In such a world, every bump in the night becomes your worst nightmare.

average flick. watched it, enjoyed it, forgot about it

>It comes at night
don't we all?

Sick bastard you

this

I though Travis was gonna make a move on Kim and fuck everything up. Also Riley Keough's agent deserves a raise. She's on a roll