Richard Brody's top 25 of the 21st century so far. Thoughts?

1 “In Praise of Love” (2001, Jean-Luc Godard)
2 “The Wolf of Wall Street” (2013, Martin Scorsese)
3 “The Future” (2011, Miranda July)
4 “Thou Wast Mild and Lovely” (2014, Josephine Decker)
5 “Like Someone in Love” (2012, Abbas Kiarostami)
6 “The Last of the Unjust” (2013, Claude Lanzmann)
7 “Holy Motors” (2012, Leos Carax)
8 “The Darjeeling Limited” (2007, Wes Anderson)
9“ The Beaches of Agnès” (2008, Agnès Varda)
10 “The World” (2004, Jia Zhangke)
11 “A Quiet Passion” (2017, Terence Davies)
12 “Margaret” (2011, Kenneth Lonergan)
13 “Somewhere” (2010, Sofia Coppola)
14 “Frownland” (2007, Ronald Bronstein)
15 “Chi-Raq” (2015, Spike Lee)
16 “Little Sister” (2016, Zach Clark)
17 “Moolaadé” (2004, Ousmane Sembene)
18 “Funny People” (2009, Judd Apatow)
19 “Gentlemen Broncos” (2009, Jared Hess)
20 “Coma” (2016, Sara Fattahi)
21 “American Sniper” (2014, Clint Eastwood)
22 “Woman on the Beach” (2006, Hong Sang-soo)
23 “Li’l Quinquin” (2014, Bruno Dumont)
24 “Viktoria” (2014, Maya Vitkova)
25 “Hamilton” (2006, Matthew Porterfield)

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/my-twenty-five-best-films-of-the-century-so-far

Didn't read.

He looks jewish, and his surname sounds jewish too.

Has to be wrong. The Avengers and Star Wars The Force Awakens aren't on there.

>2 “The Wolf of Wall Street” (2013, Martin Scorsese)
Disregarded.

Please go back to r/Movies

Brody is /ourgy/, same goes for Armond White.

>2 “The Wolf of Wall Street” (2013, Martin Scorsese)
Stopped reading right there

>tfw all women on the list are only there for diversity
I mean just look at those films. They're trash and wouldn't be on the list otherwise

>14 “Frownland” (2007, Ronald Bronstein)
is that title based on the captain beefheart song?

I've literally not seen a single film on that list.
I've only heard of like 3 of them at most.

I also remember when I was a pleb

>18 “Funny People” (2009, Judd Apatow)
LMAO

>American Sniper
>Funny People
>Chi-Raq
>Somewhere
>these are om the top 15 best films of the 21st century

this guys is an utter pleb, don't worry user

>18 “Funny People” (2009, Judd Apatow)

>le I'm so patrician I make art out of trash meme

He has lost his mind.

>trashing American Sniper
God, please don't be so obvious.
Even the film critics of Cahiers du Cinéma have an idea that Clint is one of the most talented directors.

If American Sniper is one of the best films from the 21st century then it sure must be a shitty century my man

>no batman v superman
No wonder Sup Forums is mad

>cntrl-f mulholland
>cntrl-f sicario
>no results

OKKID.jpeg

pretty lame list

>Even the film critics of Cahiers du Cinéma have an idea that Clint is one of the most talented directors.
I don't disagree with this assessment at all, but I do happen to think it's one of his weaker films. Letters From Iwo Jima is his best movie from the century though.

however redpill me on modern Godard, are we gonna get influxed by people saying it's his best work soon after he died and is it worthy?

>chi-raq
I'm one of the 10 people that actually saw it, and even I know this is bullshit

Trash

Inception???

Isn't surprising that inception isn't there. Most respected film critics can't stand Nolan.

>There's no push-pull around Leo's torrid emoting, and when the "We're awake now—or are we?" kicker catches you in the pants, who cares? It's obvious that Nolan either can't articulate or doesn't believe in a distinction between living feelings and dreams—and his barren Inception doesn't capture much of either.
-Nick Pinkerton

>Every character except for Dom is basically a cipher. Nolan’s lickety-split pacing makes it difficult, if not impossible, to invest in Gordon-Levitt’s taciturn point man or Hardy’s master-of-psychic-disguise beyond their status as lean, tailored graphic objects. Page is nothing more than an audience surrogate, and she’s frequently an afterthought to the action. The “inception” is just a pretense for the many-tiered action sequences.
- Adam Nayman

>bitching about minor character points
>no mention of the imagery or the music or sound effects
its like the movie takes place on a piece of paper for them or something

Sicario is disonest filmmaking, Denis always has been trash.

Thought that was Doug marsh from the thumbnail

His 21st century stuff is great, he hasn't lost it. Each period of his work builds on the last, so people who want digital Bande A Part will be disappointed, but people who appreciate his development throughout the decades will dig it.

I hate France on so many things, but I really like how they respect Clint Eastwood. Much more than the Brits or Americans themselves

Nope.

>Leo's torrid emoting
>lickety-split pacing
>lean, tailored graphic objects

These are all references to cinematic aspects, not characterisation. The lack of characterisation is a problem for Nayman, but it's not all that's being discussed. Pinkerton's point is about the filmmaker's philosophy.

If you're going to be treated as a major director, then you have to have an interest in people beyond the shape of them in the frame. Movies aren't animatics.

>19 "Gentlemen Broncos"
I'm not alone

>The Future
Fucking why

It's hard to believe that someone who sees what's so great in the films by Godard, Kiarostami, Carax, Varda, Zhangke, Davies, Sembene and Eastwood could rate all the other crap on his list. I mean, Wes Anderson is fun, but eighth best of the century? It's not plausible that someone perceptive enough to rate the good stuff on his list would be capable of rating a Sofia Coppola film above a Varda, Sembene or Eastwood, so I'm dubious about how many of these choices are guided by his own discernment, and how many are him passively reflecting currents created by other critics.

We also have to bear in mind that he wrote a book about Godard which accuses Godard of anti-Semitism for criticizing Israel and Spielberg. Sooooo... caveat emptor.

>professional film critic jerks off to pretentious art movies or shit with a political agenda
Stop the presses.

I guess it's a good list in the sense of variation and not so obvious picks but I think there's some bad stuff on it. If I made a list it wouldn't be as good because I don't get paid to watch literally everything and it'd be pretty boring.

Yeah his politics are completely fucked up

>rating a Sofia Coppola film above a Varda
gross

>25 “Hamilton” (2006, Matthew Porterfield)
Stopped reading right there

>not twbb or the master
Sure thing bud

>pta
watch more movies

>3 “The Future” (2011, Miranda July)

I like that he has waifus and all but this is just going too far.

I've seen some of those!

>sicario
Really?

I will never ever ever understand the love Eastwood has as a director. His films are so thoroughly mediocre in every way to me, at least all the ones I've seen from the last 20 years

>2 "The Wolf of Wall Street"

No dude, if it has some trippy visuals or totally awesome setpieces then it's kino and the writing literally doesn't matter. Because film is a visual medium even though none of the canonized films suffer visually or thematically and can be engaging on both fronts. Get with the program

I'm with you there user, although I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was fantastic.

Ummmmmm, who cares. Seriously, who even is this. I've never even heard of the films on this list.

The least you could do is give a link to his YouTube countdown of his "top 25"