To my mind...

To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence. It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics. I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times. I mean, I loved the music of the '60s. I loved the Beatles, the Kinks, and Cream. I wish music could sound like that forever, yet if it did, we would never progress as a culture."

I mean I'm always down for new character if that's what he's suggesting.

You think you're going to have a good thread about that here? If you point out DC and Time Warner and Marvel and Disney are corrupt, evil businesses people will just tell you to go back to Sup Forums. This board is full of autists and retards, user. They don't want reality.

HAHAHA

RECTAL USE

Yeah but all you've written is unambigious embrace of the 19th century lately

So what's the solution to that? Oh, I know. Let's embrace children's characters from the 1800s. Yeah, that's real modern and progressive. Even better, let's include lots of rapes, incest, and old men having sex with teenage girls. Yeah, that's the stuff.

I like Alan Moore but he obliviously bitter and unrealistic.

Plenty of new characters have bombed sales wise and many people don't want hipsters comics.

Anytime anything Progresses it goes to shit.
I would give anything for videogames to go back to the way they were in the late 90s.

Yeah I know you would, you unemployed nostalgic manbabby.

I think he is right but I think people often take his comics way more absolutist than he makes them.

He isn't saying don't listen to the Beatles or Cream (to use his example) he is saying be mindful of everything going on and don't get yourself boxed into to what you think is all you like when the world of Comics and Music and stories and what have you is constantly growing and expanding.

There has never been a better time to be reading comics than the present embrace it.

This cultural stage IS progressing,you are just looking in the wrong side.Comics hardly are cosidered a serious art among high arts anyways,they are for entertainment and even for entertainment they aren't deeply embraced in the cultural background of the common public.

You have a very narrow view of comics.

Nah it's still dumb as shit because he's assuming comics have remained have they have always been but always only going back to like 1958

He's also ignoring the fact that the Beatles are still influential today in music being made right now, because that's how stuff actually progresses, by using things from the past as a template and expanding on those things, and stories about Superman and Batman are no different, along with the thousands of other comics out there

so basically, to Alan Moore- what are people allowed to like? Isnt every hobby an escape from the "overwhelming complexities of modern existence" Anything that someone takes interest in to know anything about whether it be sports, comics, or fucking history is that. Doesn't this dick believe in magic and shit too? And not allowing them to develop a culture of their own? Every fucking generation has been raised by a predecessor who forces shit down their throat. Fuck alan moore, fuck his fans, and fuck what his shit slinging has done to the industry.

That assumes that he isn't consuming modern media which isn't true.

>namefag
>defending moores shit
You either got lost on the way to reddit or better be Moore himself

You shut your pie-hole, Anonymous Nobody.
You haven't earned the right to throw "namefag" at someone who has storytimed.

I just get bored of people taking

"Read Some More"
as
"Stop Reading and Liking What you are Reading now"

What does Providence have to do with the reality we live in? It only relates to Lovecraft's imagination.

>I must not have a job if I am able to accept the fact that modern videogames are shit

That is a very simplistic view on that material.

>Anonymous Nobody
This is what this sites culture is all about.

Sometimes I wish that somehow I could arrange a chat between our current Alan Moore and the Alan Moore from the 80's. Just to see how they would chat about comics and see what 80's Moore would think about current Moore opinions.

You have a very narrow view of culture.

ok so what about when moore published comics for evil corrupt business people?

>"""culture"""
you can go back to Sup Forums for your culture

I think they would get along and be fine with each other.

The problem with how Moore comes off in interviews is that people ask him about the same 3 or 4 things every time anyone ever talks to him.

At this point, I bet Moore demand to not be asked about Watchmen and his DC comics in general, otherwise that would be everything they'd asked him.

Can you imagine it from his point of view.

Getting interviewed and all anyone ever wants to talk about is the company that screwed you over or "That Guy" who clearly adores your work but talks shit about it all the time.

Well, that's just bad journalism.
Moore is more than the sum of his works or of his own personal history.
If an interviewer wanted to know what personal, political, philosophical, or spiritual underpinnings are at work in his writing they only need to ask him about his worldviews on these topics independent of comicbooks in general. The overarching perspective will reveal itself and the direct links to be found within the writing can be confirmed with simple followup questions.
And for God's sake, outside of Gonzo journalism there's never an excuse to make one's own views and opinions part of an interview.

Why do you keep posting that?

That quoting style identifies you as a stormfag. gb2germany.

That's right. He is also a wizard. He turned the board of directors of his local library into frogs.