This thread is for alternative comics with these three main themes: weird alien environments...

This thread is for alternative comics with these three main themes: weird alien environments, great art and a larger-than-life universe.

Please post comics and a small summary of what the comic is about.

For example, pic related is a comic from Image Comics called Prophet. It's about these clones who wake up in the distant future to find that their human empire has been mostly destroyed.

They feel compelled to certain locations and seem equipped to handle certain objectives. Who's pulling the strings?

Other urls found in this thread:

killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/kill-six-billion-demons-chapter-1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This picture is from a comics called Metabarons. You might know the creator, Alejandro Jodorowsky as the guy that tried to make the Dune movie and failed tragically.

Metabarons is a story about a group of techno-warriors who fight against a alien empire who find out their world's secret.

Geoff Johns Green Lantern epic has all three.

But it's capeshit.

Shutter

That's rude. You should say

But it's not alternative.

>weird alien environments, great art and a larger-than-life universe

You just described Nexus.

>The lead character, Horatio Valdemar Hellpop, received his Nexus powers from an alien entity called the Merk. As payment, the Merk required Nexus to seek out and kill a certain quantity of human mass murderers per "cycle". When the Merk selected a target, Nexus would receive strong headaches and maddeningly anguishing dreams (whose extremely intense episodes caused physical injuries to Hellpop's body that emulated the dream violence) of his target's victims until he did his duty.
>Nexus would often find himself in the painful position of assassinating someone who had repented their former days of infamy, and desired only to be left alone with their guilt. Several of his targets were completely ignorant that their shortsighted actions had inadvertently caused the deaths of others. Fortunately, at least one such target was allowed to commit suicide when confronted by Nexus (death by suicide was punishment enough to the killer to end Nexus's relevant dreams). For the most part, however, his targets were unrepentant murderers, a number of whom had enslaved or otherwise exploited their victims before causing their deaths, thus allowing Nexus to execute them with a clear conscience.

>The superpower of the Nexus universe, fusionkasting, psionically draws energy from the cores of stars (or other large sources on rare occasions). Many innate fusionkasters (the Merk and the Heads) can bestow their potential upon other individuals. This transference is said to fade over distance, but fusionkasters have been shown to be hundreds of light years from their sources with little decline in power. However, the link apparently cannot cross into other dimensions.

Good taste user.

>has all three.

OP said great art

>alternative comics
>Prophet
>Image Comics

So by "alternative" you mean "literally anything that isn't Marvel or DC"? Because you just posted one of the most mainstream comics ever.

From a major publisher to boot.

>Metabarons is a story about a group of techno-warriors who fight against a alien empire who find out their world's secret.

But that's flat out wrong.

Alien Legion.

Star Trek if it was done by cynical britbong writers for 2000AD (except actually written and published by Americans).

heheh
I too was in the last thread with the exact same OP.

>Prophet
>mainstream
Sales are in the 4k range. Unpopular as fuck.

Image is a major publisher. Always have been.

I'm Malaysian and there's a comic artists here who has pretty much the same artstyle. Weird.

But they publish both mainstream and non-mainstream comics.

Prophet is very unpopular, and thus not what I consider to be mainstream.

I guess Omega Men isn't a mainstream comic either then.

>The Spire is an American weird fantasy / mystery[1] comics series written by Simon Spurrier and drawn by Jeff Stokely. The eight-issue limited series[2] has been published since 2015 by Boom! Studios.

>It is set in the titular Spire, a vast city in the middle of a deadly wasteland, locked in war with religious zealots and riven by the tension between its rulers and the underclass of "Sculpted", humans who have been hybridized with nonhuman biology.[3] The protagonist is Shå, the city's captain of police, who investigates a series of murders of aristocrats at a time when a new Baroness is crowned and the city's internal and external conflicts are about to come to a head.

>Spurrier described the recipe for the series as "one part 'Mad Max,' one part 'Bladerunner,' one part 'Dark Crystal,' one part nutfuck insanity".[3] Paste Magazine characterized the "beguiling" comic as inspired by China Miéville's Bas-Lag and Jeff VanderMeer's Ambergris in creating a world where "the fantastical aspects don’t mitigate the worst aspects of human nature".[4]

I almost picked this up a bunch of times at my LCS. Looked interesting, but at the same time, I've read too many things like this that fail to deliver.

It's bretty good.

No. A publisher that big is mainstream by nature.

Just because a book is published by a mainstream publisher doesn't mean the book is automatically mainstream.

Ask a random person on the street what Prophet is.

See

I don't know what Omega Man is so I guess it really isn't mainstream.

It's a DC comic. Sold around 8000-10000 an issue. And if you don't know what that is you don't seem to follow the big two (or at least DC) so you could hardly know what's mainstream.

Yeah Image publishes stuff like Pencilhead, Minimum Wage, and The Humans that all seem like comics a smaller publisher would put out.

Slaine

The chronicles of Slaine MacRoth following his life from exiled barbarian adventure to high king of Ireland.

Kill Six Billion Demons is a comic about a Basic Bitch who has the key to the universe thrust upon her. There is a lot of worldbuilding and much of the plot takes place in the deadening throne city of the seven-faced god Yisun. An angel with a motorcycle MADE OF SKELETONS becomes a significant figure.

The pages are gorgeous and the entire webcomic is online for free.

Minimum Wage was a fantagraphics book before finger brought it back

Link and skeletons.

killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/kill-six-billion-demons-chapter-1/

Black Science might be up your ally, it's about multiversal travel sorta stuff.

bump