I don't get it Sup Forums

I don't get it Sup Forums.
What did Bob's Burgers do so different that kept it from being cancelled, unlike these other 3 failures?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbbxxdkhr0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Ysb4en_Sc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Based H. Jon Benjamin.

Let H Jon Benjamin sing.

People actually like it for one.

Character writing and a simple premise that can be moles into largely anything, like the Simpsons, instead of being confined to an incredibly stiff and specific premise with no lasting power.

I don't know, but I'm glad Bob Burger's is still around.

Likeable characters and good voice acting

The kids are pretty endearing and interesting. Bob is pretty good at playing both the straight man role and the goofy goober

It wasn't shit. And the family demographics were swapped around compared to other family shows.

the top three's commentary was to limited
Bob's is pretty modular and can adapt as needed

Character design that isn't fugly and/or uninspired copy-paste shit.

Its actually good.

____"jews"____

It's actually funny and endearing for starters.

stay there this time andy

...Sanjay and Craig?

What in the fuck was Allen Gregory about?

On top of everything else mentioned, a solid voice cast. The VAs really help make this show.

I'd like to think that people just found it funny/refreshing. Also I've never seen Allen Gregory or Bordertown ever air on TV so who knows.

>SHUT IT DOWN

Not relying on Carlos Mencia-tier humor, Seth Macfarlane templates, or 2smart4u social commentary. The jokes aren't "Black people" or "Mexican people" or "Gay people."

The situations on Bob's Burgers are crazy but they're believable. They're absurd but not surreal. Despite each member of the family kind of being jerks to one another they still care about each other beyond one or two lines in an episode and feel and act like a real family. It has heart and that counts for a lot.

The jokes aren't "Black people" or "Mexican people" or "Gay people."

Cleveland show wasn't a failure, it lasted 4 seasons.

Say what you want about the Cleveland Show but it was definitely better than what Family Guy was doing at the time.

Actual jokes that were funny

This. It's watchable and enjoyable

And it had more consistent characterization.

>Why did this child survive when all three of mine died?
Because they were born dead and you speant an inappropriate amount time pretending otherwise.

It's literally the modern-day Simpsons. Perfect storm of writing, premise, voice-work, and visuals. Perfect balance of character/physical/verbal humor. And it's adaptable as all,get out. Sometimes the show seems it's still stuck in the 80's in a weird east coast Americana, other times it's clearly not, and the show totally knows how to hit the ground running with that.

To be fair both Family Guy and American Dad didn't fall to that trap till season 5 onward.
If Cleveland Show lasted that long I imagine we would have seen disjointed characterizations.

To think Cleveland Show was the only one that ended before it lost itself.

>Character design that isn't fugly

let me stop you right there

They were already heading in that direction, Cleveland was getting more stupid than usual then they turned Jr into Brian for some reason honestly it's good they they pulled the plug before they got as worse as the other two

It had a really rocky start.
Most of Season 1 was "the blacks in the 70s were so wacky" and what little wasn't seem to be just a joke that Cleveland isn't as black as everyone else.
mid season 2 was when it got it stride and I argue late season 3 was showing signs that it was going to be the same trash that the other two became.

Seth's shows are great when the concept is fresh, it's just that unlike say King of the Hill or Bob's Burgers there just isn't any depth to the cast and side crew. Cleveland Show was no different. They had a fun cast but the ran about as much midnight oil out of the what they had in terms of character growth. Hell a lot of the cast was already starting to wane. Auntie Momma went from being this secret roll model to just one of the reoccurring family cast with no humor or jokes aimed at his ridiculous back story.

Seth's last show , 'Bordertown' was cancelled before the season finished up. He is being exposed as a hack
American Dad is his best show and -surprise- he doesnt write it

And Sit Down, Shut Up

Truth.

Cleveland Show had 4 seasons and 88 episodes. It wasnt a failure at all.

Oddly enough, I find Cleveland Show has the best side characters out of the four Seth toons.

Gay Stewie gets his own show and aged up slightly to justify a natural personality.

The top three shows were gimmicky.
>>Oh look! A Seth McFarlean show but everyone is black!
>>Oh look! A Seth McFarlean show but it's about the Mexican boarder!
>>Oh look, a show where the entire cast is really fucking unlikable, oh and gay parenting

The characters are mostly likeable and the writing felt natural. Fell off the last couple of seasons but it's to be expected, not very many places for it to go.

I really started liking it before it was cancelled, made me giggle consistently

Agreed, Cleveland and his crew were great. Same with the side characters like Gus, Wally, Dr Fist, Kendra and Arianna, Clevelands parents, Donnas ex, Murry, etc

Seriously? 'Cause I'd argue the exact opposite.

Look at AD now and tell me with a straight face its still good

It was its own thing and not some horrible celebrity vehicle, a cancerous second spin-off of a dying show, or a topical, dually offensive edgy comedy

This generations King of the hill

This

That's not a very high bar is it?

A lot of improv and genuine reactions give the characters more life, one of my favourites is from the second episode of season 1, when Gene insisted Salman Rushdie wrote The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, Bob's reaction wasn't scripted.

See, I've never seen the episode in question, but that sounds like a hilarious bit.

I thought I would hate this show because the character design was so disgusting but it turned out that the voice acting and dialogue was incredible. I try and catch it whenever I can now.

If the Cleveland show had taken some cues from Sanford and Son (remember when black comedy was actually funny?) it would have been a sensation.

But in hyper PC world, you can't even tell the truth about black failures, certainly not make a show of joking about them.

Didn't bother to look at Border Town (same issue as the Cleveland Show. Can't make fun of Spics because that's racist (Jew money printers need cheap labor too.))

Allen Gregory, Who?

Not shit

So you're implying that CS and BT failed because PC?

>on Bob's Burgers are crazy but they're believable.
This, the show is quite enjoyable.

I haven't been able to watch a single episode of bob's burgers without feeling a tad depressed at the end and I don't know why.

anyone else know this feel?

It's a shame I liked bordertown but with how PC everything is and the low art quality I can see why people didn't like it.

Or maybe it's because these shows were poorly written and unfunny. Seth is a hack who just gave the Griffins a paint job. He can't write blacks unless its for a quick gag.

>how PC everything is
It has nothing to with PC; I'm a Sombrerolander and I found it unfunny as fuck.

Bob's Burgers feels like a genuine successor to the early Simpsons. Not as socially poignant, if by virtue of the fact that the Internet makes such things seem quaint within a few months, but more in the sense of 90% of the time the stories are grounded in realistic scenarios with eccentric but ultimately human characters, with occasional ventures in more surreal or over-the-top antics(e.g. usually whenever their landlord shows up).

The characters are pleasant and seem to genuinely care about each other, at that.

In a sense, it occupies that niche, or at least falls on the scale closer to the older Simpsons seasons and King of the Hill, rather than the usual Fox and MacFarlane products.

Gene is obnoxious as hell - it's one thing to get some histrionics from his mother, but he shouts everything, so nothing he says ever gets to stand out for good or bad reasons.

The guy has to make his kids work at his restaurant to keep it working, which is illegal, and is recurrently late on his rent. You just know there's bankrupcy or jail in that family's future.

Animation is fucking retarded and ugly. I hate this show.

Which one?

Bob's Burgers.

I felt the same as you, I Hated the designs at first, but it was my girlfirends favorite cartoon. Now I've seen every episode and its our "comfy" show, helps her with aanxiety and whenever we cant sleep.

It's made clear that the anons in this thread look pass the artstyle (which grows on you) and stay for the writing and character interactions.
And the animation gets much smoother in Season 2.

No user I mean why other people didn't like it I loved the show.

I don't care what's made clear for the anonymous people. I hate that ugly artstyle. Makes me puke and fart at the same time.

More in the earlier seasons. Later seasons kinda focus on Bob getting a bit better. He's friends with a celebrity chef, he's been featured in a popular magazine, and his restaurant seems to be securing itself as a mainstay in the town. He'll probably never be a huge success, but he'll survive based on a steady stream of regulars.

And if worst comes to worst, he's shown he has friends he can rely on. Teddy is eccentric, but he'd probably do anything for Bob. And his childhood friend is obscenely rich, so there's that, too.

Seriously, now they can say the word "shit" and do it constantly to seem edgier. Also the writing is pathetic now - fucking MC Scatcat? Tae diggs?

>Makes me puke and fart at the same time.
How old are you?

okie doke

The last time I saw the show they were trying to make Principal Lewis a main character.

I left and never looked back.

21. Why?

>They broke up Frond and Gayle two episodes after it happened.

Shame. I feel like a lot of comedy could have been mined from two incredibly desperate, clingy people in a relationship with each other.

>No season finale where Bob caters their horrible wedding

Because the only time I've ever heard "I puked and farted at the same time' was from my six year old sister.

Stop trying to get her to watch Bob's Burgers with you, then.

Bob is sort of in a grey area of luck with Fishoeder.
The guy loves him. So long as he runs the town, Bob is probably safe from failure so long as he tolerates Fishoeder's mild extortion and eccentricity.
Also I don't think there's anything illegal about his situation with the kids. So long as he's found to not be working them to an unreasonable degree he's pretty much allowed to use his own children as free labor. He usually only asks they work during busier shifts or special situations, any other time they're free to come and go as they please.

It lasted four seasons because it got canceled. If it didn't, I guarantee you it would still run until the end of time, like what The Simpsons or Family Guy is doing. So technically it is a failure.

Try watching the original pitch pilot, then see how you feel about the actual show.

There's also the fact Fox ordered another 2 seasons before season 1 even aired, they were really banking on that MacFarlane name.

Bob's Burgers succeeding shouldn't surprise me as much after King of the Hill. Apparently there are enough people with good taste to support the occasional good show.

A lot of reasons. Good writing, characters that feel natural and work well off each other, a great voice cast and a premise that can go a lot of places without relying 100% on topical references or completely unrelatable and unrealistic situations.

I think the main reason it works though is the same reason other animated family sitcoms worked and that's that the family feels real with all the imperfections and annoyances that come with being an actual lower-middle class family with young kids. Sometimes things go well for them and a lot of the time they don't but in the end they have each other.

4 failures.

Do you remember the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon?

Am I the only one who stopped watching after season 3? The kids became weirder than usual and bob just seemed more pathetic. On Top Of that the situations seemed more And more Unbelievable. I just can't watch.
> btw gene is worst character.

I think that because Gene genuinely loves his family and he makes some pretty good music when he actually tries, I don't mind him that much.

I'm waiting till the latest season ends so I can binge watch it

Don't even mention that shit.

Its actually good

Gay Stewie is an insufferable asshole, and because he's a liberal child he's never wrong. Oh, and Jonah Hill voiced him like the insufferable ass that he is. BECAUSE THAT NEVER GETS TIRED.

Bordertown wasn't Seth's show, he was barely involved. Seth is decent when he puts his mind to it but he honesty hasn't put any effort into anything in the past 10 years.

>likeable characters
the only likeable character is bob, everyone one else is either retarded or a complete asshole, or both.

American Dad is still good
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbbxxdkhr0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Ysb4en_Sc
Also the people saying its shit now haven't been keeping up with the latest season.

>m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Ysb4en_Sc
This episode was so insufferable I nearly stop watching it multiple times.

American Dad is still occasionally good. It went from having 3 bad episodes per season to having 3 good episodes per season, the rest ranging from meh to bad-but-not-quite-Family-Guy-levels-of-I-want-my-22-minutes-back

Ironically enough BBs was getting shittier ratings than the Cleveland yet FOX kept it because they like Loren. There's definitely a bias towards it that made it last longer

Here's your (you)

>any opinion I disagree with is trolling
Thin skin much?

This plus genuinely enjoyable characters and comfy plots.

Yeah, but Family Guy at the time was one of the worst pieces of shit on TV

>went from having 3 bad episodes per season to
Come now, everyone knows that AD didn't become consistently great until Season 4, it struggled for 3 seasons to find itself then it finally dropped the political aspect and just went all out insane with its Supernatural aspect. Current season is much better than the last due to the new writers finally settling down but will never reach the glory of seasons 4 to 8.
You didn't actually explain why that episode was bad.