What does the name of your country mean?

What does the name of your country mean?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_people
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Land of eagles

that field

honey/land of honey/safe haven/safe port. I think it is one of them.

the united states of america

Sverige comes from Svea Rike, which translates into something Svea Reich, or Land of the Swedes.

Sweden comes from the even older name Svitjod, which is an earlier form of svea rike or svea välde.

I should say, Sweden comes from the German Schweden which comes from Svitjod or Svíaveldi

Suing for copyright infringement

>reich

rike translates to realm, not reich.

Rike and Reich have the same germanic origins.

River of the painted birds

I thought it had something to do with calling other people out for being homosexual.

It means "The united autonomous regions of the land named after Amerigo Vespucci"

Also, we called the Holy Roman Empire ''Det heliga romerska riket av tysk nation'' while the Germans used ''Heiliges Römisches Reich''

Note the total abscense of ''realm'' in the English name for the German Reich.

Where sun rises from

wrong flag to be saying something like that

there's a lot of speculations about this.

the most accepted is the one related to pau-brasil, which "brasil" means "red", or "flaming". It's a red wood used to paint sheets.

there's also another speculations created by jews saying tht the name of the country comes from "barzel" or it literally means "israel" (BRASIL - RASIL - ISRAL - ISRAEL) because of the earlier jewish immigration. I don't believe this, but it's somewhat interesting.

Greek pronouncing of the word Rus' which comes from the tribe of Rus' which was named uhm, we still aren't sure from what. Either it was a Scandinavian or Proto-Slavic group of warriors

path to the north if it isn't already painfully obvious

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_people
>he Rus' (Slavic: Pycь; Greek: Ῥῶς) were an early medieval group, who lived in modern Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and other countries, and are the ancestors of modern Russians and other Eastern European ethnicities. The Rus came from what is today Roslagen of modern day Sweden. According to both contemporary Byzantine and Islamic sources and the Primary Chronicle of Rus', compiled in about A.D 1113, the Rus were Norsemen who had relocated "from over sea", first to northeastern Europe

land of the gyppos

WE

>there's a lot of speculations about this.
literally who the fuck would waste a second of his life speculating from where the fuck the name "brasil" comes from
most of brasilians cant even spell it correctly and are too busy digging the trash for food to think about it, while the """""""intellectuals""""""""" are too busy getting stoned and betting the next dose on how many plebs will get folgorated during their monthly shower
the rest of the world would at best speculate on why you are so fucking ugly, but nothing more than that

>Due largely to geographic considerations, it is often argued that most of the Varangians who traveled and settled in the lands of eastern Baltic, modern Russian Federation and lands to the south came from the area of modern Sweden.[18]

>The Varangians left a number of rune stones in their native Sweden that tell of their journeys to what is today Russia, Ukraine, Greece, and Belarus. Most of these rune stones can be seen today, and are a telling piece of historical evidence. The Varangian runestones tell of many notable Varangian expeditions, and even account for the fates of individual warriors and travelers.

The Roman dubbed us the land of the Angles which became England.

It comes from Latin "Hispania" which comes from Punic "Ishpania" meaning "land of rabbits".

land of the franks

In tupi (amerindian language) it means HUGE COCK

Land of humans

>What does the name of your country mean?
Routsi

IIRC England technically means “Land of the Fishermen”

The navel of the moon.

Cute as fuck

then maybe if they called ireland england instead they wouldnt have fucking starved lmao

land of the pagans

A bunch of finns and wends united by varangians named Rus' or something like that and shit.

actually land of the teutones (Teutonen -> Teutschland -> Deutschland)

>bunch of finns
My favorite meme. Poles must be finns too.

Norway, or "Northvegr" in old Norse, means "North-way", or "The way north". And before we were known as Norwegians, we were known as "North-men".
The is because Norway was built on trade through maritime routes leading north. Our country is basicly built as a trade-route, chaneling trade gods as furs, fish & etc, southwards.

the USA means we are states that are united in america

here you are called "land of the alemannics"

In school, I was thought that Scandinavian traders (mostly Swedes) that sailed east was known as "Russ", were the origins of the word Russia, or Russland as we say in Scandinavia.

I didn't know this.
The Norwegian word for Germany, "Tyskland", suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Literally nothing, the only thing known is that some Spaniard thought South America or at least this part was called it after they understood that from first encounters with natives.

Country of the descendants of Hellen, son of Deucalion

Nederland/Holland

Neder = low
So, Low Land/Low Country

Holland is two provinces (North-Holland and South-Holland) it used to mean Woodland derived from “houtland” but is nowadays used as an informal name of the Netherlands, much to the nuisance of Dutchmen who reside in the other ten provinces.