It had its chance

It had its chance.
I really had my hopes up, but after the embargo dropped I knew it was over.
It looks like Marvel wins. I hope Ben Affleck can at least scrape something together with the garbage given to him for the next Batman movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

the-numbers.com/movie/Dredd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stay mad.

DC's whole problem is literally just Snyder with his infatuation to drown an IP with a Frank Miller chaser. Come time when Ben Affleck directs & stars King Capeshit, it'll make more than any ensemble movie to come.

Marvel had its chance!

>all this bait
guess I know what thread I'll see getting bumped all day

The Ben Affleck directs and stars in great movies where people sit around and worry a lot.

Unless there's this great action film he's directed that I am totally forgetting. And yes, I've seen Argo Fuck Yourself, it's not an action film tho.

Can't be that hard. Russos directed RomComs & look where they are now!

DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

DON'T WANNA FALL ASLEEP

Ben's not fucking around, though, I think this is his dream role or something. Honestly, a lack of lazyness is all it takes to make a top tier capeshit, shit's easy. I'm fairly confident in his Batman movie unless the exec producers shake things up at the last minute.

M Knight Shamalingdong has shown that you can hit one or two out of the park and never make another decent film in your life. Snyder is working very, very hard to confirm that theory.

Argo may have been Ben's one-hit.

It's no-one's dream role, to stand around grimacing while other popular actors cavort around, chew scenery and have FUN.

It's a very nice paycheck, and that's about it.

>mfw we end up with something more similar to Batman Ego than an action movie

F

>The Town
>Gone Baby Gone
>both are certified fresh according on RT as well as Argo
>"one hit"

>Snyder is working very, very hard to confirm that theory.
What was his hit?

300, easily.

Shit argument
>one guy made one or two good movies and then he didn't, that's completely the same

But... I thought you faggots WANTED crowd-pleasing quip-trash...

>Argo
>The Town
>Gone Baby Gone
I love how you twist the narrative to make both directors comparable, when they are nothing alike. It reeks of desesperation

I feel if Ben Affleck directs a Batman movie set in Boston we might get something special.

LOOK IT MY EEEEEEYES

I think it might JUST be possible that you've actually seen ONE of those movies.
Maybe.

I knew you would twist all this good news into bad

fuccan swine, go swive your dam

Hey, but Ben Affleck is a one hit wonder. Well, two hit wonder. Well, three hit wonder.

>I knew you would twist all this good news

Ben Affleck plans to make a Batman movie is news?

Actually, yeah. Nice projection tho.

I believe he's on a payroll. It's not the first time he uses this autistic rant.

>Argo

I don't know why people bring that up whenever his directing is mentioned. He wasn't even nominated for best director, his Oscar was shared with two other producers (which is how Best Picture normally works out, because the maximum number that can share an Oscar is 3, and Best Picture is technically awarded to the entire production, just collected on their behalf by the producer/s.) Are people suggesting George Clooney shared that award for his directing?

It's not like it was in an obscure category or didn't have the media push to get academy members to notice and watch his shitty movie, it's just that they didn't think it was worth nominating. Now in any year the strength of a movie's directing (or any other category) is less important than the other contenders, but all that means is he was, at best, 6th best director that year. Guess what, he wasn't.

Yes, he's won other awards for his directing, but he's never won the highest possible award - voted on by 5000 professional filmmakers - or even been nominated in the category of director. He won one other for his writing, shared with MATT DAMON, 25 years earlier, and never really lived up to that early promise. He's only written three other scripts that got made, which is unusual for so high profile a writer with an Oscar behind him. He made Gigli. Daredevil (these in particular being movies where he was said to have "directed" and rewritten extensively behind the scenes). Bounce. Pearl Harbor. All those Kevin Smith movies that have aged like fine milk. Fuckin' nothing from 2006-2008, like he'd quit, but didn't have the brains to figure out anything else to do and had to come back to it.

I'm telling you right now, his new girl? She'll be the love interest in Batman Rebooted. It'll be just as fucking awful as everything else he's ever meddled with because he thinks he knows better, and then she'll leave him before the sequel is due and they'll recast, possibly even for his next girl.

Gone Baby Gone made about as much as Dredd.
The Town made slightly more than Judge Dredd.

What is your criteria for a hit?

Sixth Sense was a hit, it made nearly 700 million dollars.
300 was a hit, it cleared 450 million with an R rating.

The Town and Gone Baby Gone were well-recieved indy films.

Don't sit here all day, loser.

Daredevil wasn't a hit

yeah but remember when he rocked that Spin Doctors beard back in the 90s?

Still performed better than The Town.

What, other than Snyder's public suicide, can satisfy Sup Forums?

>Dredd 3D & The Raid duology are shit because it didn't make a billion dollars!

Fuck off.

If WB abandoned DC movies for pure television, I'd be satisfied.

No one called them "shit".
You cannot classify Dredd as a hit, it made 15 million dollars LESS than it's fucking budget.

And more people went to see Dredd, than Gone Baby Gone.

Karl Urabe as Batman when

>he's now talking about how dramas don't make box office hits
Holy fucking shit, you're on a roll

Only when Marvel does it, buddy. Nothing DC does will satisfy people now.

No it didn't. It made $3.5m less than budget, and had an ad spend (total) of $26m on top of that, for a whole sum of $71m. In US domestic DVD and BluRay sales it made another $19m, which was matched (almost exactly) in UK domestic DVD and BluRay sales. Home video money goes almost untouched back to the studio; so that's a profit of $6m - and that's before it had its quiet resurgence six months later and again hit the top of the charts, and also doesn't include the other territories in which it was released on home video, or the other back end.

It didn't make a huge gross on theatrical release, but it's not a flop - it's in profit and has been since 3 months after initial release.

the-numbers.com/movie/Dredd

You are attaching the quality of the movie to the box office reception. That's the whole narrative you're trying to push. But then, you contradict yourself with this post. It's hard to argue your points if you change them any time.

uhh what Joy just made like a hundred million dollarydoos last year

it's a drama about a mop that happened to do well because it has a genuine A-list star

I don't need him to suicide, I just want him to not be involved with these movies anymore. I would have so much more faith in these movies if they admitted that Snyder was the cancer and booted him from the DCEU altogether but I know they won't do that

>It looks like Marvel wins.

Why is it about companies winning/losing
I like both Marvel and DC
It is about FANS losing not a company winning

No, bro. Dredd was a bad movie that didn't make money, the measure for quality.

>No it didn't. It made $3.5m less than budget, and had an ad spend (total) of $26m on top of that, for a whole sum of $71m.

About 50% of modern theatrical releases' box office goes back to the studio.

I'm sorry, even if the studio got 100% of the box office, they lost money with the marketing.

I'm pretty sure the measure of a "hit" is to actually not lose money.

No, thats your problem.

There are people that enjoyed MoS and BvS.

>BvS is released
>Why cant it be more fun like Marvel?
>Why cant it be more simple like Marvel?
>Why cant it be more colorful like Marvel?
>Why cant it be more like Marvel?

Justice league is released
>hurrdurr this is too much like Marvel
>It tries to ape the MCU and fails
>If I wanted a quipfest I would watch Marvel

Journos and faggots will never ever be pleased. Zack Snyder should have go with his plan for JL. You will complain regardless. But I could have enjoyed the original JL.

Its well known a movie has to made 2x the budget in order to start making profits.

He knows it. He probably even used this argument against movies he dislikes. But he completely ignores it now because it can be used against a movie he is currently trying to defend.

both Miller and the Russos already complained about superman and why the character doesn't work in a movie, so maybe the problem is not the director but the character everyone knows but noone wants to see a movie about.

even Zack "the CapeKino God" Snyder is a slave to corporate meddling.
People voted with their wallets. quippy popcorn flicks are the way to go.
I just hope that it will still be deep even if it has a lighthearted tone.

Why is everyone assuming quips? I read it as trying to turn the series to something brighter and more hopeful like All Star Superman which wasn't full to the brim with quips.

Because we have already descriptions from scenes and they are not just quippy, but cringeworthy quippy. It went full quips.

you mean the scenes with the Flash? that one character that is supposed to quip?

Really? Flash is supposed to Quip? This is a new development for me. And for the character. I guess your only interaction with the franchise are cartoons.

He wasn't even particulary quippy in the cartoon, just more upbeat and cheerful than the others

Him an Green Arrow are supposed to be the quippy ones imo, but I guess the TV show threw all that into the trash.

I never said it should be anything like Marvel. In fact, I wanted something different out of DC.
The reasom BvS sucked is because of the poor dialogue and logical fallacies.

>that one character that is supposed to quip?
Flash is the lighthearted member of the team but he's not Tony Stark

I don't want it to be more like Marvel, I just want to like it. I want something to rival the DCAU on the big screen. I didn't like it and I honestly am not 100% sure they even know what they're doing

For fucks sake, you say JL is in response to BvS but then BvS was in response to MoS too

And that was Wally, who always was more funny than Barry

because the director has nothing to do with a movie being regarded as best of the year, let alone a director/producer/writter

argo made 136 and people are still talking about it.

The Flash is meant to be funny and yet none of his writting felt like ''meme material'' like most avengers lines

I just want you guys to know that your tears are delicious and your pain is more entertaining than either of the movies I've had to suffer through to get to this point.

here is one (you) for (you) my friend.

Oh no, a cape movie has plot holes! Stop the fucking presses! Civil war is riddled by a shit ton of poor dialogue and logicla fallacies yet no one complains.

Nice dubs...for a faggot.

When we enter the Azrael-as-Batman phase.

We know that these threads are made by /tvirgins/ that hate DC because they don't like smart movies that they can't understand.

Is the same board that keeps hating Better Call Saul for not having explosions and they also fucking loved Age of Ultron, so do the math

>yet no one complains
Now you know that's just not true, user.
I love BCS, think AoU is meh and didn't go see BvS because I didn't like MoS. What does that make me?

>/tvirgins/
Shouldn't it be Sup Forumsirgins? And isn't virgins Sup Forums's insulting nickname?

>I hate the genre conventions and tone and want a movie without them!
>Why are people complaining about narrative issues that the genre conventions and tone excuse?!?!!?! I want to have my cake and eat it too! Everyone else is stupid babies!!1

Removing Snyder I think is a big one. Maybe consulting more classic DC writers like Miller, Adams, Morrison, Waid, etc would be a good idea

All three of those movies are overrated. I'd rather watch Shaw Brothers films.

they are the same kind of console wars autist, so is all the same

Dredd is an awful Dredd film but a bretty good action movie. It didnt capture the city or the ideology behind it.

The Raid 1 is good.

The Raid 2 is shit. Pure shit. 15 minutes long fights in which regular humans are gutted for shock effect but they can still fight like nothing happened. Awful movie.

The logical fallacies were ideas promoted by antagonists which were proven wrong. The dialogue is fancy because the characters are big. It works perfectly.

You mean like Batman calling Superman "dangerous" despite the fact that he's on a fucking killing spree?

>/tvirgins/ that hate DC because they don't like smart movies that they can't understand.
That sounds like Sup Forums talking about Sup Forums

I don't get the hate for The Raid 2. It's a little long and maybe could've used more action sequences but it's a good movie still.

I still need to watch Dredd.

>Why can't it be less retarded and nonsensical like Marvel?

>Batman can kill the entire human race on a whim

Wow, and I thought I was a fan of Batman.

They directed Civil War though and that was terrible

It was alright. People nitpick on BvS about having "inconsistencies" which can be easily explained, but Civil War has inconsistencies that cannot be explained under any circumstances.

Such as?

>Black Panther can dodge Hawkeye's arrows
>Black Panther can't dodge Black Widow's electricity attacks
They were at similar ranges too.

>if people do one thing one time they can do it in near similar cirucmstances 100% of the time
That is not even close to the plot holes in BvS. Holy fuck, you're reaching.

He wasn't expecting his teammate to attack him and by that point she kept on electrocuting him to keep him down.

>Captain America throws his shield at War Machine
>War Machine disappears for 5 minutes

"I can do this all day."

Not only that, but your "explanation" is retarded. Why would Black Panther be able to dodge Hawkeye's arrows and not Black Widow's electric attack? It's not like he was straining, using some sort of once in a lifetime technique to do it. Plus Hawkeye's arrows SHOULD BE faster than Black Widow's electricity. Having inconsistent abilities is a big issue, saying "he did it but that doesn't mean he can do it again!" is just plain retarded. BvS has literally 0 plot holes.

>BvS has literally 0 plot holes.
So why does Lois think to go back and get the kryptonite spear, again?

>frame Superman successfully
>by shooting a bunch of people

>with special lexcorp brand bullets even though normal bullets have been killing people just fine for ages and he specifically doesn't want to get caught
>leading to a plot that lois uncovers that has absolutely nothing to do with how superman discovers that luthor is evil and is totally pointless

Superman kills that terrorist at the beginning but says he didn't. Why was he at a Russian rocket launch? Why did Superman say Martha instead of Mom? Why didn't Aquaman swim away as fast as he could from the camera that filmed if he wanted to preserve the secrecy of his race? Why did Batman say "I thought she was with you" when he clearly knew where Wonder Woman sided with? How does Luthor manage to time Martha's kidnapping at the exact moment when Batman is signalling to fight Superman? Why didn't Wonder Woman throw the kryptonite spear? What would've happened if Doomsday won, how would Luthor stop him?

no zack is just a hack and that's all there is to it.

>There are people that enjoyed MoS and BvS.

>not seeing anything irregular with set visit reports happening this early
>not seeing anything irregular with faggots like Devin Faraci being invited (his first WB set visit in numerous years)

Its a fucking ruse you idiot

They'll throw in some quips. Some goofs, some laughs. They'll pander to these "journalists" that ran all the hitpieces about the movie as well as their normie cronies that parrot them. They'll satisfy the Cult of Rotten Tomatoes thats existence is honestly an affront to the art of filmmaking

But at the end of the day nothing's changed. They're simply less upfront about the nature of their deconstruction and the thematic weight of what they are doing. Snyder is still creating kino, he just stopped bragging about it

>Its a fucking ruse you idiot
Snyder's not smart enough to ruse anybody.

Not defendinf BvS, but if Supes said "mom", Batman would probably think "oh, it's his alien mom." and be indifferent

I honestly think Superman is box office poison. I mean, I loved both MoS and BvS, but all the bitching has been centered around Superman not matching people's headcanon or not being like muh comix.