YFW your LCS tells you that you should have asked them to order your Rebirth titles before coming in

>YFW your LCS tells you that you should have asked them to order your Rebirth titles before coming in.

People who work or have worked at a shop, can you break down for me the basics of ordering comics for big Wensday releases?

I don't work at one but just from buying my understanding is that they order based on pull lists primarily with a few shelf copies for walk-ins. So if you don't tell them ahead of time when you're certain you want to buy something that's one less shelf copy that will be around. And if the shelf copies sell out then that's that and they have to reorder the issue.

My LCS stocks pretty deep for most things, so it's pretty rare that I've walked in on a Wednesday and they were out of a new release I wanted. But yeah, most comic stores prefer having regular customers reserve titles through a pull list so they can more accurately order inventory. Especially if you want something other than a mainline Big Two title.

That makes sense. With the way I buy my comics & how sporadic I buy 'em, I think I need a pull box.

You should ask them about it. Some shops will only hold titles so long, and also I know that sometimes when something didn't get added to my list, the guy will take it from someone else's box that doesn't come regularly (or maybe it's someone he knows doesn't particularly care about the new series).

>go to my lcs
>but volume 1 of Ostrander's Suicide Squad
>Clerk pushes New 52 Suicide Squad
>decline
>months later pick up volume 2
>pushes New 52 again
>I decline
>tells me I'm wasting my money because Harley Quinn doesn't appear in this comic

A lot of the owners and patrons are characterfags. Buying a run because of the writer/artist creating a good story is alien to them.

Well its not like I didn't strike up a conversation with the guy about how much I love Ostrander's run, there is something great about a team of b and c list villains, the new Suicide Squad is just another Harley Quinn book, but in this one she has a team that doesn't dress like her.

I guess that's why he's confused at my choice to have spider-man / Deadpool on my pull list, but stayed away from ASM and all the other deadpool titles.

oh my gosh that kitty's face
i want to smoosh it

My LCS always has enough for pull boxes and for shelves. I have never had to ask them to keep anything behind for me. Guess that's a benefit of living in the UK where comics aren't popular for shit

I've seen this gripe before. Do you talk about this a lot or is this a copypasta?

I know right? I wished I lived with a cat with a face like that. Sadly, mine just stares and judges me and yawns when I try to take pictures of him. Jerk

I'm usually reminded about it when I see LCS threads, it wasn't until that very moment that I realized just how popular HQ is with Normies. I mean, I get the push the first time, kid is trying to make a sale, offering me a more modern version of a great comic, I get that, but when he pushes it again and goes on to tell me it's not worth my money because one character doesn't make an appearance, that's when it triggers me.

Comic shops dont know how popular a run is going to be so they really are guessing when they are placing the order. The only metric they have to go off of on how popular something is going to be is how many people have it in their pull. So when something like Rebirth comes out, they have to guess how many issues they need. Sure they will bump the numbers some for something that is obviously supposed to be a big event, but they cant know for all the tie ins. Whats worse is that if something is crazy popular, they cant automatically adjust their orders as all of their orders are made weeks before time so it takes a little while for their supply to re-adjust. I know my LCS has been seeing all of their rebirth tie ins and wont be able to fix it still for a week or two.

My LCS has been running out of pretty much all the rebirth books while most of the civil war 2 stuff is still sitting on the shelves.

Mine too! When I went in today I saw a bunch of variants of the Rebirth stuff but they were selling it for $10 an issue like....wtf really?

>buying trades from an LCS
You deserve it.

>not supporting your LCS

If there is a book you know you want, tell them a week or two ahead of time and they will usually hold one for you. Start a pull list and they will pull those books for you every week. Make sure you pick up your books though, if you don't they'll stop doing it.

Reordering is usually impossible because marvel and DC don't print a lot of extras. That's why they have second and third printings instead. If you are interested in resale value though, second and third printings are typically worth less.

aww look at his tail
making his foots warm

>paying retail price for trades
Look they told you up front you're wasting your money.

The whole comic store set up is a racket.

Give it a rest. You've posted this same lame complaint for months.

besides, complaining won't add more Harley [\spoiler]

>tfw no shops near me
Does anyone know of shops in Long Island, NY?

Yeah another shop in my area was charging issue one of rebirth about 15$

The explanation I got was this:

* Initial orders are sent in early (about 2 months in advance) to Diamond and then the publishers to get the cheapest prices for books
* "Last minute" orders are at roughly full-price, and are sent in 3 weeks in advance
* As such, if a LCS doesn't see much interest in the books based on previous/current participation, they're not going to order more of the book unless it's a sure hit or something indicates a coming surge of popularity

Because of ANAD flopping, comic shops seemed to massively underestimate how popular Rebirth would be. So, they under-ordered so as to not get fucked too much.

This, so fucking hard.

For trades, LCSes are just convenience stores. If they have something you want to read in stock, you can get it from them quickly. But pound for pound, you're better off getting it shipped directly to you by InStockTrades, et al.

The owner at my old LCS always told us to flip through the preview that he has on the counter to see what was going to come out in a few months so that he could order them. However for the big books like Rebirth or Civil War, he would always order a sizaeble order for the regulars and walk ins. I'm not too sure about my new one since it's a bit bigger. (Okay a lot bigger.)