South island vs north island

Which New Zealand island is the best? What's the biggest differences?

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.nzherald.co.nz/article/aucklands-stratified-diversity/
wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/for_website_magicweaponsanne-mariesbradyseptember2017.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bumb

Wellington and Dunedin are our best cities.

Auckland is a shithole that attracts immigrants like flies to shit.

The rest of the country is full of small towns which are very good places to raise families just check the percentage that is maori before you move there and avoid anywhere about fifty percent

south island is best island
because it's my island

why should you check the maori percentage?
why are there less maoris in south island than in north island?

South Islander here
I have hardly any knowledge of North Island, so I'll give a summary of the South

>south
Lush, flat plains
>east
Dry, flat plains
>west
Never been, beautiful scenery
>southwest
Never been, beautiful fjords
>north
Never been, beautiful scenery
>centre
Lord of the Rings scenery
>invercargill
Boring, rundown
>dunedin
Student town
>christchurch
Pale people

Future demographics NZ

Where is this?

wow, is this from an article? would love to read it.

>why should you check the maori percentage?
Because our natives are insufferable. At a beach near me a family of tourists got beat up by some for daring to use public land without paying them for the privilege

>why are there less maoris in south island than in north island?
Because it's colder and their were no mammals to wear the fur of before Anglos came

It's a university town a couple of hours north of wellington. Actually a pretty nice place for white collar workers and great for students but the underclass there is grim

Don't know where that map came from, but I guess that it was based from these projections:
>insights.nzherald.co.nz/article/aucklands-stratified-diversity/
Probably some user made the map

my dads half-sister and her british husband just moved back to denmark and they say the country is getting destroyed. are they overreacting? i thought oceania were better off than europe and north america

New Zealand has the highest teenage suicide rate on the entire planet
The older generations have destroyed the nation's future for their short term gain
New Zealand's future is looking grim so the youth are extremely apathetic and lost all hope

New Zealand is one of the countries i want to visit along with Iceland

b-but lorde
i still wanna visit though

Could be worse, it'll be mostly asians so at least you'll still have civilization, europe has it way worse with muzzies.

Why? What's going bad in the country?

Why though? Shit job market?

>europe has it way worse with muzzies.
Don't act like we don't have it bad with our loads of nogs and spics.

he's overdoing it a bit, but it is true we have some pretty shocking depression and suicide rates. i don't know if it's just a general social malaise or if it's the boredom/isolation mixed with the drugs and drinking

we've also fucked our environment, shit like our rivers etc, more than people seem to realise. that clean green island image is a joke

Boredom and lack of opportunities especially in small towns. Something like 25% of New Zealanders live in Australia.

kiwis are 'nice' but jesus christ boring country.

>pollution
>low wages
>housing is too expensive
>massive unskilled immigration
>employers have too much power
>last government sold off key assets to foreigners
>our universities have become shit tier and only exist to squeeze money out of foreign students

how to move to nz as a med student?

Apply to a NZ university?

Yeah NZ has a lot of gorgeous scenery
Pity I have barely seen any of it
One day I'll hopefully afford to see it

>wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/for_website_magicweaponsanne-mariesbradyseptember2017.pdf
You Americans need to realise that Asians are a plague on our nation

I'm not exactly sure
It will be cummulative effect of many factors, however I would guess that the root of the problem is that New Zealand's culture is extremely apathetic and collectivist
Nobody cares about anything other than avoiding ostracisation
Everybody is extremely boring because everyone is trying to fit in and not be seen weird

>most teenage suicide in the world
>most domestic violence in the developed world
>most toxic waterways in developed world
>most sexual violence in the developed world
What do you mean I'm overdoing it?

15% of New Zealanders live in Australia

but i am allowed to stay to work and marry kiwi woman?

this guy is a chilean and he hasn't been thrown out of the country yet

You could do what I did/am doing and get a "Working Holiday Visa", if you are able to earn more than $55k (kiwibux) then you can generally stay. Assuming you don't flunk your studies that seems possible, call center work starts at like 40k

>this post

from where are you from?

Scotland but there are over two dozen countries which have similar schemes in existence. Basically you can stay in NZ for two years and work for up to 12 months during that time, in addition to studying for a further 6 months. If you meet the immigration requirements you can then stay, or transition into a different visa. Last time I checked the requirements were relatively lenient, as the minimum income works out at about $30 an hour whilst the minimum is just under $17 (and most basic administrative/retail/etc jobs start around $20). It's also helpful if you're going to work in a sector that's on the skills shortage list, generally STEM / healthcare / education with some ICT and agricultural jobs thrown in. I'm not sure if I'm looking to stay past my year of work, but you can always move from work -> studies -> student visa -> post-studies job hunt visa.

can't wait until I can move to israel desu desu

*minimum income to qualify is $30 per hour (assuming 40 hours per week)

I've been in Christchurch and I liked. Wish I could visit PALMY

does new zealand basically end in auckland?

thank you user, i hope you do well
xoxo

thanks bb, stay in school and you'll be able to go almost anywhere

If chinese is your first language it does

So does NZ have cheap homes or are they very expensive like australia?

Auckland is just as fucked as Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver etc. I think other cities are more affordable.

South, definatly. But whatever you do, stay the fuck out of Christchurch. It is easily the worst city in New Zealand, there are more fucking foreigners and maoris here than anywhere else I know. I want to fucking kill them all, holy shit, I just wish they would all drown in the sea and stop stinking up my home city. The roads are fucking shit, and if you look at the town at the right angle it looks like something out of fucking Fallout. Half the people here are fucking meth heads and it FUCKING PISSES ME OFF.

I just want my home back.

On which island the LOTR was filmed?

South, maybe a bit in the North but I can't remember

i just realized after all these years that the percentages add up to more than 100 and that if you add all the non-whites together, it means that new zealand is only 65% white plus some 9% white/non-white mixed.

posting here to see if kiwis here have anything to say

>nz
>white

I am from North Island and moved to the South a few years ago. The South Island is without a doubt the best. Its cleaner, it has more variety and breath taking nature and honestly (I am not normally racist but it really does make a difference) its more white.

I would never go back. The lack of a city kind of sucks, but after seeing Wellington and Auckland recently I really don't think I am missing much as I am not super outgoing anyway.

Christchurch is no worse than Invercargill

Yeah, New Zealand does what America does, we count mixed """""whites""""" as European in our statistics
In reality New Zealand is le 65% face

I want to move there but I'm not sure if my qualifications carry over. Would it be possible for someone from the US who is a doctor of optometry to gain reciprocity in NZ?

The largest city is on the North, and also contains the capital, so naturally it's the more "interesting" of the two.

Unless you want to be totally alone. IIRC west coast region in South Island is the least-populated NZ region with only like 30,000 people. Stewart Island only has a few hundred. South Island is part of the lonliest Anglo places in the world with Perth, Australia, Chatham Islands, etc.

New Zealand in general has a very strange and interesting political geography which is like USA in some ways (we both control several obscure, unpopulated Pacific islands).

Any christchurch fags around here?

>customary American post telling you about your own country

P A L M E R S T O N
N
O
R
T
H

wow, why so racist?

I've always wanted to live in Dunedin, Timaru or somewhere on the south island west coast.

You really don't. Timaru maybe, but the best parts for climate, whiteness, topography and employment is the upper south island.

NZ seems so fucking comfy, I'd love to visit some time

NZ has a shortage of Doctors so you'll probably be able to move here easy

I'm not an actual physician. In the US, optometrists and actual doctors have a different scope of practice which is decided at the state level. I had to take a state-specific exam to become a practicing optometrist.

In my state, we have a lot of independence in that we can administer anesthetics, perform all the different laser surgical procedures, and perform minor surgeries like getting rid of lumps and bumps on and around the eye and eyelids. Still doesn't quite compare to an ophthalmologist (who has M.D., and went to medical school; whereas we go to optometry school and have O.D.).

I'd imagine NZ has something similar but I'm not sure if I would meet the criteria. I guess I'd have to contact some sort of officiating body on this.

I think optometrists and doctors have different scope of practice in NZ as well
There are lots of job opportunities for optometrists in NZ according to careersnz

>do NZ roadtrip with friend
>reach Wellington
>have booked hostel room
>reception can't find our booking when we come
>fully booked, so they quickly find a solution
>my friend get's to sleep in the fucking attic, he told me rain leaked through the roof, so he had to sleep underneath a wooden table he found and it had no insulation so it was cold af
>I get to sleep in a permanent residents room who is apparently out of town
>tampons and used panties littered all over the floor, I have to make the bed myself
>in the middle of the night, some drunk girl comes stumbling in
>questions why there is a random man in her bed
>she just accepts this like it's nothing, and goes to sleep on the couch
We had to pay full price for this shit. In NZ's defense, it was a dirty shitty hippy place, pic related

>Something like 25% of New Zealanders live in Australia.

I would assume that there are very few places in the world that wouldn't welcome an American doctor

lol who cares.

looking forward to how chang and chong develop that earthquake island by 2020. maybe they'll even get on a world map!

t. Perth resident

god no, how dare you remind me perth exists knave.

*dabs on you*

Good points. I've been to NZ twice and visited both islands. The north island was fun but life in the south just seems much better, especially for raising a family.

how do new zealand accents differ from aussie accents? i can't hear a difference personally

There's more regional, class and personal variation within the Australian and New Zealand accents themselves than between them, but in broad terms a person with a stereotypically kiwi accent will sound to Australian ears as if they're asking for fush und chups, bro whereas to kiwi ears a broad australian accent is asking for feesh end cheeps. There's a vowel shift between the accents.

Southerners almost sound American

How do Kiwis, specifically south islanders, travel? I imagine tickets cost an arm and a leg.

palmy is nice

They do. I personally generally just fly, but some people do take buses between cities. Air fairs are very expensive compared to other countries. Auckland to Wellington could easily set you back $200, but it fluctuates heavily.

Traveling overseas gets pretty expensive. Most working class only travel to SEA. Although these days it is getting cheaper and cheaper to get to Europe. It will still cost you around 2k USD return for acceptable flights to get to Europe and back, but it again time of year or stop overs could make it more or less expensive.

Where in NZ do you get decent winters?