British Invasion 2 when?

British Invasion 2 when?

Once Moore, Morrison, Milligan, Delano, Gaiman etc are all gone, what happens to comics (cape comics for you indieans)?

The odd Tom King isn't enough.
To my eyes, new outstanding writing talent seems to be somewhat infrequently found.

What does the future hold?

I feel like another "invasion" is possible if good writers from non-English speaking countries are paired with good translators or the writers themselves learn to write English well.

There's seems to be SO much talent on the art side from tons of different places. I'm convinced that the same is true for writing -- it's just that there's a very obvious language barrier which can make GOAT-tier writing easy to skip.

It isn't required.

And I hope something like what you are describing doesn't happen again because comics have taken a long enough time to climb out of the Writer driven trench that period created that the last thing we need is more writer driven 'movements'

>namefag wants (You)s
the sky is blue

No reason to believe the next generation of truly great writers will be British.

I don't think translation is gonna work. There's a lot more to good writing than the bare content. A lot of allusions, imagery, and prose are things that someone who speaks English as a second language won't understand. Someone from the mountains of Tibet, with the greatest Superman story of all time in their head, will be limited in how they can express that story in text boxes and speech bubbles beyond basic expository writing. There's a massive barrier for nonenglish writers that goes beyond the literal language barrier. That's why there was a British invasion, but no French or German or Swedish invasion.

But it's comics, though. Part of the beauty is that the writing shapes the art, and a great writer can lead to beautiful art being made for their story.

Plus, like I said, *good* translators are needed. Lots of comics from France/Germany/etc do get translated, but they're unreadable -- not because of missed allusions or the like but because of straight up bad translations.

Manga, comparatively, goes very far with the help of its fantastic scanlation scene (and the official translators who piggyback off those efforts). Western comics just don't have that set up, so as I said, good stuff or potentially good writers just go ignored.

Things like the building of suspense, descriptions of nature, descriptions of inner turmoil, scenes of happiness/joy/sadness/basic human emotions -- they translate a LOT better than you'd think. Really, beyond some specific local humor and mythologies, there's not a whole lot that goes missing between rudimentary translations. But when even those basic translations are bad -- which happens more than you think -- then there's helping anything.

>fantastic scanlation scene (and the official translators who piggyback off those efforts).

This is comedy at best, or horribly misguided at worst.

the britbongs were horrible writers who appealed to fedoras

get some taste faggot

Britain is a spent force. We need and Aussie invasion and bring the bants back to comics.

I meant piggybacking, as in, they tend to improve upon scanlations and take some of the established terms here and there from them.

It's not meant to deride official translations. On the contrary, they -- at the very least -- have a bar set for them and they usually leap over it pretty easily. The bar for Europe comic translations is usually non-existent or low as hell, in general.

You still seem to be lacking in history though, Official translations have existed and been better than fan stuff for longer than it has existed.

I just find most fan translations to be such works of people trying to make something more important than the words on the page, or getting into their little cults of how things must be (the EvilGenius stuff with Berserk is specifically terrible about this)

The future of the Big 2 is more SJW infestation.

Future of Marvel maybe

Also it isn't like all this stuff is happening more and more, it just isn't happening at the Big Two so most people overlook it.

There has never been a better time to be reading comics than right now, and that thing you are looking to read probably exists somewhere.

>Morrison

Name one good thing Morrison has written

Doom Patrol is objectively good. Might not "subjectively" be his best, but there's a reason he was one of the early Vertigo writers.

Rob Williams, Si Spencer and a bunch of other new generational 2000ad writers are already working the US...

Fuck off Tom
You're a shit writer
You're a shit spy
You're a shit poster

What has Delano written recently?
Ewing and Williams are the only good recent British writers I recall. But they aren't as good as their predecessors.

One of the reasons for the British Invasion was that Karen Berger was in the right place at the right time to scoop up lots of the British artists and writers who were terribly alienated by their native publishers. The British comics industry is a lot smaller now, Rebellion is nowhere near as awful as IPC Fleetway, and I don't think there are as many first class editors like Berger at the big two any more.

As a side note, people often forget that there were a good number of UK artists that went across the pond before and after the writers, even if they never became superstar household names like Moore and Gaiman - Brian Bolland, Simon Bisley, Dave Gibbons, Philip Bond, Brendan McCarthy, and Steve Dillon, among others.

>Brian Bolland, Simon Bisley, Dave Gibbons, Philip Bond, Brendan McCarthy, and Steve Dillon

That these need to be said is a sad statement about the state of our comics discussion community here on Sup Forums. These names should be commonplace and known to everyone.

To be fair, Steve Dillon is quite well known because he's still doing a lot of work. Bolland generally only does covers these days because he's just too slow for most comics (he caused problems even back in the 2000AD days)

Where are the good books, mate?

>Ewing
>good
When will this meme end?

Give it 5 years tops.
The current wave of social justice is just a fad. Like beatniks, hippies, punks and whatever movements came before.

>Once Moore, Morrison, Milligan, Delano, Gaiman etc are all gone, what happens to comics (cape comics for you indieans)?

A young generation of New York Jews will arise and restore the genre to what it was meant to be.

Whatever happened to mature cape comics? Sandman, Swamp thing and Sandman mystery theatre used to be a thing. Seems like comics have come a full circle now with mature comics being regarded as joyless. It was those mature comics which brought a lot of British creators to American capes.

Okay I'll bite.

omega men just finished and vision is getting close to ending

we really do only have king don't we

>A young generation of New York Jews will arise and restore the genre to what it was meant to be.

Restore the american dream ?

>british invasion II
>not islamic invasion

probably never.
england doesn't exist, and no one really cares about comics

Yeah this.

Comic fans need to stop sucking writer cock.

I'd really like this. Semi-relted, someone should really try to get Michael Chabon writing comics.
Orlando, arguably. Valentine if her Catwoman wasn't a one hit wonder. Potentially Gerard Way too. Oh, and what happened to MiƩville? Was he only ever there to write Dial H and nothing else?