Explain how Homer can afford this

Explain how Homer can afford this

Because he lives in springfield and not california

Cuckifornia BTFO

take me away from this hell

Also works in a nuclear power plant.

Bought it in the 80s in flyover country. It was a different time.

because he doesn't live in those 3/4 american cities where people actually want to live.

He's works at a God damn nuclear power plant. He's obviously a tard, but the real life position he has would pay upwards of 80,000 a year.

His father helped pay for it, and the power plant has good salaries.

Throughout the majority of the series, the bathroom is where Maggie's room is in this image.

he works at a Nuclear Panner Plant

I want to play Sims now

the '80s

You think nuclear power plants pay peanuts?

>the floor speakers and amplifier are hooked up on a bookshelf next to the tv
>not just hooking the speakers up with the tv as an input

Simpsons confirmed for fucking plebs

I could understand this setup if the speakers were in a different room but if they're in the same room you're unlikely to be watching tv and listening to music at the same time

He has a good job and Springfeilds housing market hasn't been destroyed by foreign investors or the tech boom.

Because in the late 80s, a basic white collar job (which were abundant) was enough to own a house and support a single income family.

Why you think people care about that crap autist?

Watch out, we got an autdophile. Don't you need to go buy crystal virus protected cable risers?

the basement door is in the other living room sometimes though, and faces in different directions sometimes...

I know they don't care, but they really should

>Not having everything in your house set up in the most optimal way

this, despite being an idiot his job might actually be a nuclear engineer

I do

Nuclear*

It's pronounced 'nuclear.'

Oh look, a 16 year old

>hooking an old TV (which woudnt have an audio ouput channel) which didnt have cable up to their stereo

What kind of piece of shit tv did you own lad

Hes safety inspector you mug do you even watch simpsons

t. citycuck

>What kind of piece of shit tv did you own lad

One similar to literally every other single middle class family in the late 80s early 90s. One akin to what the Simpsons had.

They couldnt afford cable.

>safety inspector at a nuclear power plant in the late 80s

I dont see the problem here, probably has great benefits, im sure he'll retire with a decent pension too.

That's a big house.

What? They're hooked up to the record player on the shelf.

It was before 9/11, so much more was possible for the common man to achieve. A man could dream, and have it fulfilled.

you have never payed an electricity bill in your life have you

for you

The real reason he could afford it is because he sold his dad's house and put him in a nursing home. Homer is a bastard

because he lives in a magical time before boomers ruined everything.

he bought it before Obama became president

his dad has dementia, that's honestly where he belongs

It was the 80s.
Anyone could afford a home if they had a 9 to 5 job

Homer actually makes decent money. Safety Inspector at a nuclear Power Plant would pay 80-100,00 starting in the modern day world. Especially pre 00's.

Keep in mind that Abe sold the old Simpson house and gave the money to Homer so he could buy the house. (and then put Abe in a home only a few months later. Maggie's room was likely his before)

Where did he get all the money from?
Are houses that cheap in America?

>Are houses that cheap in America?

Used to be

Easy.

1.) Homer actually has a decent white collar job. One that likely started at 80k a year. He's likely making over 100k now.

2.) Springfield is a wide open area in the middle on nowhere. Property isn't going to be that expensive. The house likely only costs 200k max. That can easily be payed off within a decade.

3.) Homer got this job back in the late 80's after only working in a bowling alley. Today he wouldn't even get an interview due to lack of qualifications.

A nuclear safety inspector makes an average of $65,610. He's also in a small town, where the cost of living would be low. It's also a cartoon.

homer makes less

though i doubt the writers give a shit about continuity, logic or math

Because that's what the middle class in america looked like before it was eradicated.

Compared to many other countries, yes. A house like the Simpson's or Bundy's in my city would easily cost over 700K.

>five family members in house
>only one three seater couch
wtf

yep, people forget the show was made in the 1990s by people who grew up in the 60s/70s.

Because he lives in a cartoon

What year was this episode made?

Yeah, even for the time that episode aired, Homer should have been making almost x5 that.

Isn't that the episode where Springfield goes nuts with taxes and almost bankrupts everyone in town?

I don't get it. This is a pretty average sized house, and Homer works at a nuclear power plant. Why wouldn't he be able to afford it?

House prices were a lot cheaper when they must've bought their house (80s?), with an affordable mortgate it's completely within reach

If their financial situation had kept with the times, the show would be about a family of homeless people. Bart and lisa turning tricks, marge and homer begging with the dog and baby, etc.

I have never seen that kid's playroom or hallway coming out of the basement before, in any episode. In the opening, where Homer is running from Marge parking her car, you can see the door from the garage goes into some larger room with pink walls and another door opposite. And IIRC the basement door goes into the kitchen. There are episodes where Homer comes straight out of the basement and sees the family sitting there eating at the kitchen table.

He and Marge should take care of his dad themselves. It's the least they could do after they kicked him out of his own house and sold it for profit.

no that was the episode when springfield goes crazy about illegal immigrants and apu gets citizenship

jesus christ....

This is what the housing market is like now in major cities.

Keep in mind, the Simpsons were created in a time when the middle class was much more prevalent in the USA.

Also, it was a time when property values weren't sky high thanks to foreign investors and real estate scams.

Nowadays, Homer would likely be a retail wage slave barely making ends meet. It's quite possible Marge would have had to give up one or two of the kids. (or abort). They'd be living in a small apartment at best.

>low mortgage rates
>high demand for housing - high competition
>greedy wealthy housing sharks buying up (((investment properties))) before first-home buyers can actually enter the market at all

A one way ticket for high house prices and a housing bubble

for as old as the image is, you should know it's just a fan approximation

the empty space above the basement stairway, below the bathroom is indication enough that its not accurate to the show or real life.

>he still believes in a house bubble

I just bought a house after almost a year of searching, and they certainly aren't showing any signs of slowing down - houses that you'd think are asking too much get bought up within days, and the prices just keep going up, because they always find people willing to pay

That bubble won't pop until there is irreparable damage.
The major investors that are inflating the market aren't Western.
They're Chinese and Indian millionaires buying property as a way to escape taxes in their home countries, as well as maybe occasionally live.

So long as Western property is scene as a better investment than their native property, the market will always be this high.

His father sold his house so he can afford it, and even then they struggled.

Exactly, it's why so many realtors are expecting another massive housing bubble to happen eventually. A LOT of the problems from the 2008 recession never got fixed or were given basic band-aid solutions.

>I bought a house in Mobile, Alabama. I'm so fucking smart

>be a kid
>dude lmao mobile homes are for poor people

>start looking for a house
>mobile homes are more expensive than the house I grew up in

>drive by a new development of apartmnets

>FROM THE LOW LOW LOW $300Ks!!

>Nowadays, Homer would likely be a retail wage slave barely making ends meet.

Sadly, This.

Homer would likely still be working minimum wage at the bowling alley. Getting a plant inspector job would require a degree and years of experience he wouldn't have.

Upward mobility is in a absolutely terrible place for the average American right now.

>Getting a plant inspector job would require a degree and years of experience he wouldn't have.
It did then
Lenny and Carl have degrees in nuclear physics

Homer got lucky.
He pulled a Homer

Really depends
The low end mobile home parks are really low end...
But the "community" ones where old retired people move into, where they are nice and you dont have to worry about trash, the doublewides absolutely are on par or more expensive than your middling house in a middling neighborhood.

so its how they're getting the US back for paying them $0.0035 an hour to build phones and apple products that'll be sold for more than said employees will make in a lifetime

been paying my own bills for almost 10 years, lad

I will incur a massive debt and "own" a house in the next year or two as well, there won't be any pleb shit unoptimized technology setups in that house

a 1989 economy

People seem to be forgetting that Mr. Burns is a fucking cheapskate...

>middle class
>can't afford cable

not sure you know what middle class means lad

In the series it was mentioned they didn't have a lot of money, I think they had $5 a week for groceries.

Cable was an expensive luxury in the 80s
You need to stop thinking that what you do today has any bearing on what reality was 30 years ago.

lenny and carl have masters

Not in the US, but in a big city. It's considerably smaller and it needs work, and I had to pay 5x as much as my parents did for a house that's thrice as good

How many limes is that?

There is one in my country.
There are too few houses on sale and too many that want to buy them. So what people do is they bid extra on the house so they pay a lot more than it is worth it, houses get sold within days and they for example delivered 30 houses but over 1k people signed up to buy them. Sometimes people bid around 70k above the price when the prices have gone up 20% in the major cities within a year. The interest on mortgages is extremely low so people get a high mortgage not realizing it will not always stay that low with the euro crisis always being averted just barely. Savings accounts interest is as low as 0,4% this year alone it has gone down from 1% to this and expected next month it will be 0.3% and so on. Once it hits 0 or goes into minus some bad shit will happen. The Euro is slowly crashing down due to refugees and bad economic situations of countries pulling us all down. China isn't doing much better either. This is also why bitcoin has been going up

I suppose

I wasn't alive then like you were though, so its a bit hard to understand the perspective

that little playroom with the TV is called the "Rumpus Room." It is rarely seen, but you should remember it from some of the treehouse of horror episodes

I can't remember any episodes where they show the downstairs bathroom though

Because he lives in

Lmao get help vro

>Bought a house
>installed speakers in the ceilings of most rooms
>subwoofer in living room
maximum floor space, maximum sound

didn't their basement have a small bar in it at one point? I seem to remember Homer hosting some kind of get-together down there and it being furnished, with a bar and red barstools

>hook up my nice speakers to my shitty 90's antenna tv
>hook up my nice speakers to my turntable and right next to my records
hmmmmmmm

kek

He a supervisor in a fucking nuclear power plant

>Parents bought a house 35 years ago for something around $300,000
>It's now worth $1.8 million
Can't wait till they kick the bucket

by now Evergreen Terrace would probably have been Detroit'd, with the Simpsons and Flanders etc long since replaced with the Washingtons and Hernandezes

In the 80s it was still possible for a single income to afford a decent life

Now you need to work like a literal slave for the glorious honor of renting a tiny shithole apartment.

>demolish house
>turn into a 500k condo with 1k a month condo fees

In canon he bought it cheap from Patty and Selma

>the power plant has good salaries.
This seems out of character for Burns.

He cant

>In order for the Simpson family to purchase the home, Abraham Simpson II sold his old house and wrote Homer a check for $15,000, allowing him to pay the down payment on the house. In "No Loan Again, Naturally", it is revealed that the Simpsons are unable to afford their mortgage anymore, due to Homer constantly loaning money against the house, which causes Ned Flanders to buy the house for $101,000 and rent it to the Simpsons.

I know who you are OP.