How come the current Voltron reboot, Legendary defender (just saw it...

How come the current Voltron reboot, Legendary defender (just saw it, enjoyed it) got to be much more popular than the 2011 Voltron Force reboot, that was just 5 years ago?

I mean, I have been on Sup Forums since 2007 and it's only recently I learned this 2011 showw even existed in the first place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fWtdOywhrlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7nwqIHVhJqg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Voltron Force was poorly animated shit.

>2011

What the hell
I also never heard of it

>poorly animated doesn't men its bad you child

Wasn't on a major broadcaster like the Netflix show.

I can't even recall what Force was on.

A poorly animated animation can safely be called a shitty animated product.

The complete pile of shit that was its writing and voice acting direction certainly didn't help either.

From top to bottom Voltron Force was a waste of time and money, a throw away piece of filler for a Saturday morning slot.

Too bad. I liked this show.

Also, you can't say it was a waste of time and money when The Third Dimension exists.

Legendary Defender looked gorgeous and drew a lot of attention. I think it spread through word of mouth more than advertising, which IMO, can be better than actual advertising.

The story and pacing were also good, IMO. I'm glad they didn't do the monster of the day thing and how they changed the lions and didn't always fight in the lions.

jesus I remember this shit, no one looked good out side their lions, just like that one Max show where the dude becomes a cyborg by nanomachines.
Every one looked like they just got done doing too many reps at the gym the way their arms stuck out.

>Also, you can't say it was a waste of time and money when The Third Dimension exists.
Well yes I can. It just means they were both a waste of money.

Really? You're really asking this question? OK, let me break this down.

Voltron Force had no budget, the 2D animation looks like it would have been cheap ten years before it was made and the 3D animation looks like it's even more out of date than the 2D stuff. There are plenty of obvious examples toy marketing in the show but no toyline was ever produced making it pointless to put them in there. The narrative is a complete joke, pretty much anything between the first few episodes and the last few episodes are basically filler, nothing but a bunch of pointless cliché plots loosely tied together. None of the characters are compelling in the least, they're either annoying or bland. Plot points just come out of nowhere and things just get forgotten all the time, the writing seriously feels like it's up to the standards of the late 80's. The inter-series continuity is really confused as well, I can't tell if it's a sequel to Voltron, Golion or a reboot without an origin story.

In short it's the worst type of garbage there is, it's looks and feels way older than it is, it marketed a product line that never made it past the conceptual stage and worst of all, there's no real creative force behind any of it.

I can say for certain I do like, nay, love the new Princess in the DreamWorks Voltron. She defiantly has more personality and acts more like a starship captain from Star trek than a princess.

>Also, you can't say it was a waste of time and money when The Third Dimension exists.
Sure I can. Both of them suck

Force wasn't a reboot, it was a shitty sequel

oh

Remind me of the design of Brace Face.

The secret to success is clearly in having a reverse-trap

Anyone has a nice youtube link explaining "the chronology" or whatever and the story behind each Voltron show?

From what I hear, the first Voltron show was an american mash up of different japanese anime rescripted to be its own show and this is why it's considered Sup Forums instead of Sup Forums.

The show was already getting hyped before that. But yes, that might have helped.

There isn't much. Voltron was made up of GoLion and Dairugger XV footage. Similarly to how Robotech was a mish-mash of Macross, Southern Cross and Mospaeda

What Voltron show is considered the "classic" Voltron show? Because I think there was a few vehicle based show also callled Voltron released in the US befoe the one with the lions.

Waifus and husbandos.

Beyond a few neat ideas like core lion switching Voltron Force just wasn't particularly interesting.

Lion Voltron is the first and the iconic one, based on Golion. Vehicle Voltron, based on Dairugger, never quite reached the same popularity despite actually being a much better show than Golion. Albegas was also released as the toy only Gladiator Voltron.

>Wasn't on a major broadcaster like the Netflix show.

It was on Nicktoons. Netflix wasn't even a major broadcaster of original programming at the time.

It was promptly deemed shit and not paid attention to after it began.

Has there ever been a show that hasn't been improved by gender bending?

>2011 Voltron Force reboot
>girl power girl who is better than all the boys cause she's a girl
>generic boy
>magical black kid that makes Voltron because of reasons

The entire thing was retarded, but here are your key problems right here.

I don't see how any of those things are key problem by themselves. It's if it's badly written in that it makes it suck.

And here I thought it was delicious brown elves.

All I remember from that show is that goddamn Swizz Beats intro that felt completely out of place with the rest of the show.

Oh, and it had like a hour-long first episode that was basically "Exposition: the experience"

Probably because Legendary Defender is pretty good while Voltron Force was utter garbage.

>It was on Nicktoon
Nicktoons is Nickelodeon's Disney XD, and is where stuff goes to die.

Christ, that sound depressing

? But Disney XD got lots of good stuffs. This is where I get my Phineas and Pherb and Star Vs in my country.

>The inter-series continuity is really confused as well, I can't tell if it's a sequel to Voltron, Golion or a reboot without an origin story.
Really? Dang, I only saw the trailer for the show, but it looked like they were really leaning on the "it's a next-gen follow-up to the original series!"

Kinda like Speed Racer: The Next Generation did, which was also a Nickelodeon shit show. It wouldn't surprise me if they were made by the same people.

In addition to Dairugger, there were actually new episodes of "Lion Voltron" commissioned from the makers of GoLion by the American distributors to meet demand; the Merla episodes.

Well for one thing, it wasn't fucking shit like Voltron Force, it is a full reboot so that means new comers can waltz right in and get everything while vets will pick on the references and allusions (like Shiro going "and I'll form the head..." while practicing transforming), while Force is a straight up sequel, then there's the quality of animation, the infinitely better CGI, the occasion genuinely funny joke.
No seriously Force's CGI was awful, barren too, and there's this one screenshot from a few threads ago that had Voltron being attacked by tanks, looked like they were from a mid 00s strategy game.

That's because now Disney XD is the cartoon channel for Disney rather than just the graveyard. Most if not all of their cartoons go there.

Can you guess what the operative part of that sentence is?

In America, most people only order the first or second-tier cable packages, so they get basic channels like Nickelodeon or Disney (and sometimes not even - I get the latter with my Komkast package, but not the former), but NickToons and Disney XD, along with Boomerang, The (former) Hub and other specialty channels, are only available with more expensive packages that only a comparatively small percentage of families with kids can afford. That's probably partially why those channels tend to have more programs appealing to older audiences - they know that those're the people'll who'll pay an extra $30 or $50 for those channels.

will they even put shiro/svens death in this, will we even see lotor as well

we already have some changes to the story like pidge is a girl, zarok was apparently the original black lion rider

i think the only problem i have with the new voltron is when they do transform the music is weak as fuck, at least when they transformed in the original the theme made you all pumped up

It can still be a waste of time. Just because a worse smelling piece of shit exists, does not make your favorite piece of shit smell any better.

n-nicholas cage?

I checked, and Speed Racer: The Next Generation wasn't, there's a three year gap between the two actually, but they had roughly the same premise (make a continuation for the American specific continuity) and both was were incredibly shitty and made on the painfully cheap. I think it was even worse looking than Force.

>That's because now Disney XD is the cartoon channel

Then why'd the fuck did they get rid of Toon Disney?

I thought Disney XD was Toon Disney except renamed.

It is, just not directly.

First they added the Jetix block for their then-recently-acquired library of Power Rangers and action cartoon, then they renamed the channel Jetix, THEN they renamed it Disney XD.

Also Speed Racer:TNG was animated by Indians.
From India. This explains a lot.

>just like that one Max show where the dude becomes a cyborg by nanomachines.
Generator Rex?

No I think it was something else,
Not to mention Generator Rex was 1) traditionally animated and 2) came out over a decade after Voltron 3D Abomination

I think he was talking about Max Steel, the old one: youtube.com/watch?v=fWtdOywhrlQ

Have people forgotten about Max Steel already?

I didn't, just forgot its name,
The show is Sixteen years old, cut me some slack.

well there is the new one

Worked for Persona.

I watched two episodes of Voltron Force and actually wanted to vomit blood. Not even counting the absolutely horrendous rap opening, shit CGI, flat and stiff drawn animation, and all those other technical problems that make it a low quality cartoon, the writing centered around "three young space cadets" giving them the "lion's share" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA) of the story attention. It'd be like going into a Ghostbusters cartoon, only the focus wasn't on the Ghostbusters, they were just the supporting characters of three kid knob jobs who have only the most bland of personalities to make sure they are completely inoffensive to everyone.

cause pidge is a girl.

I enjoyed how the narrator was Garry Chalk because the original narrator was Peter Cullen, gave me a chuckle.

And Allura is a Space Dark Elf.

I had toys from this, also used to get it confused with action man all the time.

enough whining. post lewd Pidge

I'd ask how but when I racked my brain trying to remember Max Steel, Action Man came up in my mind too
Didn't help they are airing in the same timeslot, made by the same people, and on the same channel.

It doesn't help either that it's almost the same story too.

I'm pretty sure they had a crossover too.

Oh, thought people were talking about that one.
I thought it was good

Damn, it's really fucking bad, expecially for something from 2011

youtube.com/watch?v=7nwqIHVhJqg

And fuck that OP

Yeah there's a lot confused chronology in Force.

As an example, in Golion there was an episode in which Earth exploded, this episode was rescripted for Voltron to make it seem like it was just the planet Pidge came from. Force however shows that both planets are just fine yet the series still makes references to the old shows events.

It only showed up on Nicktoons, for one

It could very well be the shitty flash animation
Or that NickToons fucked in the ass with a time slot worse then Cartoon Network shafted Thundercats. Or that as a network cartoon show the people behind the show needed a toy line to sell the show with and that never happened because shity MattyColelctor had the license.
But in the end I think it comes down to this. Twice before there have *continuations* of the Voltron story and that story really can't be continued. Either through the vastly different personalities of the returning characters, the focus shifting to cadets, or the stories just not fitting with the per-constructed cannon trying to continue Voltron is next to impossible. When you create a new version you can take the basic outline and mold it to your needs and the fans don't have as big of a per-consived notion of what the crew should act like or how the show should move forward story wise. As long as the outline is there you can change a few things, Alura is not a pilot, Pidge is a girl, no Sven and you're not changing the original Voltron you are simply creating a new one.
That's why I think the various Transformers shows work or even the reboots of Thundercats and He-man (both I think killed before their time) yeah it was *like* what I remembered as a kid but different enough that I could enjoy it separately from the original fiction.

Yeah, that irked me something awful

They made the characters look too old. People like sexy teens more.

I wish Voltron Legendary Defender was anything but Voltron. An original show would have been perfect.