What the fuck happened to Crane?

What the fuck happened to Crane?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE
youtube.com/watch?v=UIbEHxvp6v0
youtu.be/EBhlwodC75I?t=1m36s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Clearly terrible back issues thanks to Batman

he got really sad, and tried to look scarier to make up for the fact he couldnt stop sniffling under the mask

What's with the monkey arm? They reach his knees

They never liked the designs & they kept tinkering.

It wasn't until the 'hanged corpse' that they all agreed on.

They missed the point and turned him *scary* because uhm he uses fear or something right so he should be scary!
While the point is that he is a wacko with a silly dress that only turns scary when using his fear gas. But this is comics so everything must be EXTREME and in your face

Maybe he just started using fear gas all the time

>But this is comics
No, this is animation, you dummy.

I know Mignola did some design work on TAS. I thought he left at this point but that final Scarecrow is the most Mignola thing I've ever seen. He just needs a pulp comic Nazi robot head

The creators aren't even sure there's a guy in there anymore. That's how good the design is: they creeped themselves out.

That first one's a Scooby-Doo villain, right?

literally scarecrow from the comics

The Scarecrow should be scary.

That's not missing the point, that's innovation.

What happened is that they stopped taking the character design so literal.

>the scare-themed villain shouldn't have a scary costume
user what?

Look at it, though.

Scarecrow isn't scary, his gas is. He is just a little man obsessed with birds and fear. This is the same reasoning that brings writers to try and turn any villain into some edgy super badass character

But isn't that actually the most boring way to write the scarecrow?

Gotta reinvent your look to remain scary.

>Scarecrow isn't supposed to be scary
Says who faggot? Making him a terrifying figure is a much better idea than having him be a coward.

Not necessarily. The most boring way to write him is "oh no Scarecrow will gas Gotham ! Again !". Showing his weakness is in continuity with his origin really.
I think Milligan wrote Scarecrow pretty damn well in Mistress of Fear. He's out of costume a few times, he's humanised, but he's not a complete joke either. And for once his goal isn't just to gas everyone.

>on no scarecrow will gas gotham agaon
That's what I'm saying, as If the only thing he has going for him is the gas

He can do that while still having a silly costume

There was literally a comic where he terrorized Gotham for like 2 months without the gas user. He made a bunch of inmates in the asylum kill themselves and left dummy scarecrows in peoples homes and buissneses. The streets were fucking empty

Why would he, a man obsessed with fear, dress silly? Shouldn't he dress scary then?

What is up with your hard-on with silly costumes?

I like them all.

Look, no one gets scared by halloween costumes
Just tired of trying to turn everything badass only in appereance instaed than focusing on the writing, just like they butchered Killer Moth costume for nothing or Lady Shiva

His costume always looked the same to me. Maybe you got exposed to too much fear gas.

Dini and Timm didn't like that a guy whose gimmick was being scary didn't actually look scary and kept tweaking the design as a result.

youtube.com/watch?v=owaMoWmD2vE

And before you bitch about subtext and how "the whole point is that he can be scary while looking silly" remember that this is a kids cartoon. The target audience of 10 year olds wasn't going to notice or care about any of that and it was those kids who they were trying to make think "ooh, that guy is scary". And that's without taking into consideration the fact that New Adventures Scarecrow was the focus of the best Scarecrow episode so your complaint that they focused on his design in place of good writing is bunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=UIbEHxvp6v0

apparently shoulder surgery

He reached level 32

Based Bruce Timm gets right to it as usual.

I don't understand the design of sarecrow's mask in the far right

maybe the fear gas was inside all of us....

Nolan's scarecrow was better.

Hasn't Crane always been a coward?

Looks like he spent some time in Yharnam.

You never start using what your dealing.

Yeah but it's cheap irony.

He only designed Freeze and Riddler

>Edgy tacticool meets Hot Topic designs

The Arkham series will never be forgiven for this

Look if Joker is allowed to be out there raping and murdering while dressed in a purple zoot suit I think you can let the idea of a criminal in burlap pants slide.

>extra vials of his only weapon
>a leg brace
>tacticool
Complain about Batmans costume instead

meant for

youtu.be/EBhlwodC75I?t=1m36s

Gosh Combs was great as Scarecrow.

>Edgy tacticool meets Hot Topic designs
>"It's not tacticool!"

That's because it's the Hot Topic part

doesn't really look like a scarecrow

Scarecrows look like however the person putting them up make them look

I'm not a fan of the Nolan designs on the whole but fuck me if the Scarecrow wasn't perfection.

Nothing changes. He's the same guy. Same attitude, same personality, same urges, same suit etc. etc. But he puts the mask on and suddenly his exterior matches his interior and everything about him changes.The only difference between the respected trusted successful Dr. Crane and the psychotic sadistic supervillain Scarecrow is the face he wears. Brilliant.

That's the main problem with him. He's just a guy that throws gas on people. Imagine if the Joker was just a stand up comic with a normal face and personality that threw laughing gas on people.

I've always loved Tim Sale's "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" design for Crane.

Alex Ross's version in "Justice" was pretty GOAT too.

At first, the comics purist in me was disappointed that he didn't have a full costume, only a mask. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Like, his whole shtick is the power of the mind. It makes sense how he'd only need to wear something over his head. Plus, he was more of a corrupt psychiatrist working with the mob, so it would had been silly if in that Falcone scene, instead of being like, "would you like to see my mask?", he was like, "would you like to see my Scarecrow costume?", and then proceeded to get undressed and slip it on.

>Alex Ross's version in "Justice" was pretty GOAT too.

Yeah, I actually think that the Alex Ross design/Golden Age design is one of the scariest. It doesn't rely on giving him big glowing eyes or a stitched up mouth to make him scary, because those things end up making him look more goofy than anything. Just being faceless is something that is subtly unnerving, because he are programmed to recognize faces, and it disturbs us when we know we should be seeing one, but it isn't there. All we see are the suggestions of his facial features in the planes of his mask.

Other than that, I really dig the TNBA design in the OP.

scarecrow+mad hatter anyone?

I was so disappointed with this design when I first saw it.

The speaker in the beginning of the clip is Combs using his real voice.

Me on the right

sauce?

I actually really liked Nolan's Scarecrow

Detective comics 835-6 I think

Reminds me of Dishonored.
On another note, what would y'all think of a Scarecrow that has actual crows attack people as a way of injecting the fear. As in their talons being coated in it or something like that?

Isn't that kind of a rip off of the Marvel Scarecrow whose whole gimmick was based around his trained crows?

I'll be honest, didn't know he existed.

Marvel's Scarecrow is a crap IronMan B-list villian who was given superpowers by an evil company and can grow stronger from your fear so he uses crows to spread terror chemicals or maybe there's some psychic thing, doesn't matter because like I said he's a B-lister.
And Marvel has some GOD-awful weak-ass silly villians in their B-list ranks, you don't even want to know about the C-listers...

It's not like DC, in DC even the silly villians can kick ass from time to time.

That's probably cause he's a worthless shitty character but his whole gimmick was he had trained crows instead of fear toxin.

Let's not be so literal about the scarecrow thing, we should abstract it.

Scarecrow is kind of hard to do well, I guess. He either looks edgy or shitty. Only design I saw that I liked is part of a set of Robot Supers.

Holy Bendis, Batman! Marvel has a real low bar for what counts as "Another Triumph".

this guy was by far the most faithful supervillian in a nolan movie simply by virtue of him coming back for every movie even after being caught by batman.

hell at the last one he is almost wearing a full body costume and doing evil things for the lulz, is amazing

"Werecrow" was an epic example of creators just not getting it.
Outside of Killer Croc the whole hook for a great Batman villian has always been how insane these loonies can be.
Scarecrow himself is all about CONTEXT.
Have him robbing a bank with a handgun and henchmen in broad daylight and he's not Scarecrow anymore.
Have him balancing himself on a wooden post in the middle of a cornfield for hours on end, just waiting all night long for his target to come walking by unaware...
...and the guy hears a faint call of his name... to lure him closer... until...
That's the kind of creepy bat-shit crazy thing that makes Scarecrow scary. It's not the actual threat, it's the madness he brings into your world.

At this point I'm pretty sure Scarecrow is a shitty Ghost Rider b-list villain. His problem is that he was originally a weird thief character and everything done to him since has clashed with that setup. He should be fighting Daredevil, where having two dozen trained crows might actually matter, instead of Captain America and Ghost Rider.

Scarecrow's suit I actually didn't mind in this movie. Mask was great, I could see this as being something he'd rock in his first few outings before getting really into it.

He was the man in those movies. Nobody else told Batman to lighten up after lighting the nigga on fire.

The best Scarecrow design is his original Arkham one though, the one from Arkham Knight was awful.

Those are clearly refilled soda bottles on his chest.

Now that's being the Bane of every criminals existence!

Maybe the true fear gas was the friends made along the way.

I'm the opposite. I thought Knight's version of him was stellar and Asylum's rather weak but TNBA is the creepiest he's ever been to me.

To be fair a two liter bottle is a two liter bottle, no sense being picky where you get your free gear or what it looks like when you're doing thankless work to begin with.

First he was an intelligent bad guy. Then he want crazy. Then he was played by Jeffrey Combs.

>Then he was played by Jeffrey Combs

So the redesign was redundant.

Absorbing humanities fears will really fuck your shit up.

I've always wondered how a Batman set in modern London would be. I know Knight and Squire exist but I'm talking specfically about reinterpreting Bruce and his cast of buddies in The Queen's backyard

Not quite sure if they were intentionally going for the English flag, since the character is from Ireland, or at least his creator and most of the other Half-Lives are.

And Poison Ivy doesn't actually look like poison ivy.

It's not meant to be literal.

Watch Luther
>brilliant detective
>plucky young sidekick
>anger issues
>has a weird relationship with a mastermind criminal
>hates guns

The design is too busy, which is what Asylum has over Knight.

Literally, Asylum is......
>A revamped version of the original scarecrow design
>Needle-gloves to inject his fear toxin with
>A gas mask so he doesn't breath in his own shit

I don't think it's too busy at all, you're looking at it out of context. In the game, graphical fidelity is at an all time high for the series. If he lacked detail, he'd look more out of place. The new batsuit, for example, has a lot of detail to it. The environments especially have a lot going on, high quality textures with tons of objects and clutter, they actually look quite nice.

So the "strange power he possesses" is just trained crows? Christ.