True Detective Season 2

What went wrong?

bump

it's not a bad season, it just had a hell of an act to follow

Pizzapit got confused and thought people liked S1's philosophical pontificating and disliked the occult elements.

I enjoyed it the parts with Vince and Ray a lot, but I couldn't ever seem to care about the gay biker cop or the chick.

Pizza somehow managed to make the plot paper thin and convoluted as fuck at the same time.

we got 4 Rusts instead of one

too many toppings without a stable, crispy crust to support them

Season 1:
>A plebby mess for pseudo-intellectuals
>"Dude, Rust is like so cool and smart! He's intelligent, nihilistic and has a wicked sense of humour just like me!"

Season 2:
>an actually complex detective drama dealing with real, flawed characters each with their own proper motivations that make sense
>"Why is everyone so sad all the time? Who's the good guy?"

I know know, I really liked it. Some parts were kinda weak including the ending but overall it was really good.

this

I wish it had more scenes like this one and the one with Ray and his dad at the bar

it was kino. Only redditors think otherwise

it would have a good reputation if it wasnt called true detective season 2

when you expect god tier and only get above average its shit.

call it
WHAT CASPERE KNEW

and its all good

>"Dude, Rust is like so cool and smart! He's intelligent, nihilistic and has a wicked sense of humour just like me!"

I think you fundamentally misunderstand Rust, and his relationship with Marty. Rust's monologues are supposed to be taken as rambling philosophical bullshit. Marty existed as the perfect foil, someone to cut through Rust's nonsense and expose him as an edgy prick - who just happens to be a great detective. And a lot of what Rust said was dry humour and tongue-in-cheek anyway, just designed to annoy Marty who he resented for throwing away his happy family dynamic; something Rust no longer had.

it's a fucking mess

Vinceposting came to an end when it should have been eternal

I think season 2 was alright. It had to follow season 1's expectations though and that bar was set ridiculous high.

-way too many characters (it wasn't hard to follow because the casting was incredible, but it caused the show to be spread too thin and stole gravity from the main three or four)
-too much direct interaction with the institutions of power (gay operator's climactic shootout and death, the massacre in the woods, the girl's infiltrating the illermernati orgy house) instead of leaving the audience feeling we've merely scratched the surface of some looming ancient giant

>muh reddit boogeyman

This desu. 4 main leads were too much for a short season. Gay biker cop was useless. And generic Californian setting was also unsatisfactory after 1st season's Gothic Louisiana. I don't remember single shit except Ray and Frank's scenes at the bar with live guitar music, sexual cult and long highway shots. It was a letdown.

vinceposting has a minimum IQ requirement, and so was always doomed to a marginal existence

>vinceposting has a maximum IQ
FIFY

It was rushed out in a year with a first draft script. Seriously, two or three more drafts of that puppy to smooth out the wrinkles and actually organize the plot coherently and it could have been just as god tier as the first.
I imagine in one of those drafts he would have realized he needed to cut the protagonists from 4 to 3 as well.
Seriously, redistribute their characteristics into just three characters and any combination is more interesting than the four of them.
Cut that shit down to just a closeted gay mobster, an alcoholic female cop in deep with said mobster for helping catch her rapist and a PTSD suffering former soldier who thinks his kid might not be his. Boom. Interesting trifecta.