A studio gives you $150 million dollars to produce an H.P. Lovecraft film. What will it be like?

A studio gives you $150 million dollars to produce an H.P. Lovecraft film. What will it be like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aIM95apn6n0?t=2m54s
youtube.com/watch?v=e-OknmEs9mY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tentacles coming of a pusy

niggers. lots of niggers.

A money laundering scheme. I don't know how to make a movie so I may as well just take the money.

full on horror of racemixing

Moore's Providence, fucking ez
there are so many sick fucking scenes. Moore's 4th wall breaking usage of paneling would actually work perfectly on a wide screen too

It will be a slowburn psychological horror for the first half hour, then devolve into a David Lynch acid trip about Eldritch beasts destroying the world on the backdrop of Metallica's Call of Cthulu playing through the carnage.

This. Racism and fear of blacks drove quite a bit of Lovecraft's writing.

Most of his stories are too short or too boring so I'd have to just make a Herbert West: Re-Animator movie.

The most feasible stories of his to do would be ones like The Dunwich Horror, At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, or Herbert West: Reanimator.

Many of his stories rely far too much on the reader's own perception to grasp what is happening and so a film adaptation would do them poor justice.

CoC is obviously the most widely known of his works and it already has a film adaptation but the pacing is very jarring.

Is it good? Neonomicon was 1/10 but I'm always willing to try Moore.

Give it Aronofsky.
He knows how to make things unsettling.

Do Mountains of Madness or Shadow over Innsmouth
They're both pretty much the same story
>investigator goes somewhere isolated
>finds clues of big story
>some things aren't quite right
>digs deeper
>more things not right
>big reveal that things are a LOT more not right
>barely escapes at the end

Pretty much True Detective Season 1 all over again, except with an actual "yeah this shit is supernatural yo"

>Moore's Providence
Is that the one with the woman giving handjob to a fishman?

I make the Shunned House shot by Vittorio Storaro in a really stylized nightmare way.

Fill it with plenty of Eldrazi

This guy gets it.

Make a horror flick out of Shadow over Innsmouth that young people will love. And make it uncomfortably obvious that the townsfolk are a metaphor for Jews and why race mixing is evil.

WHAT IF CTHULHU WASN'T JUST A STORY *BRAAAAAAAAP*
>1 hr 50 min movie of Cthulhu destroying a city while people scream

Like a 10 mil movie when I pocket the other 140

I'd Judy make bloodborne a movie

It's impossible to accurately translate H.P. Lovecraft to the big screens due to the fact you'd have to make visualization of concepts that are supposed to be beyond you comprehension and perception. Written format transcribes these ideals much better as it's generally left to the readers imagination while in film it just accumulates to generic looking monsters and riving masses of tentacles

Best way to do a movie would be to make it a mystery with the main character never seeing anything themselves but instead having to draw conclusions based on investigating the aftermath of events. Maybe start the movie with a "Who killed Laura Palmer?" like set up and slowly have things become more surreal in a realistic sense with people's behavior becoming more and more off and unsettling.

TL;DR: Whatever you do, don't show the monsters. Make it ambiguous as to whether or not they even exist

>What will it be like?
Shit, because 150 mil + marketing = maximumk broad appeal. Lovecraft is a niche thing.

what did lovecraft meant by this?

Call of Cthulu set in modern day times
build up the unimaginable terror and unstoppable-ness of him for the first hour or so and when he finally shows up he gets one-shot by a single helicopter because Cthulu is a giant pussy that got his ass kicked by a steamboat

it's way way better than Neonomicon. But you kinda need to of read alot of Lovecraft to understand it.

No. That is the above mentioned book.

No that's every alan moore work post watchmen. He's just trying to see what he can get away with.

Use all or as much as I need of the money to get Elsa Jean to have sex with me for one hour

Pretty shitty as i'd probably embezzle most of the money and produce some sub b tier garbage.

He never left his house and niggers were loitering on his lawn. /ourguy/ desu.

As much as I like eldrazi, nobody else likes eldrazi

the mist was very good at doing this until half way through when they started showing the monsters
ending was still great though

He was a racist, closeted, beta weirdo. Literally Sup Forums

one of us

Black and white version of the color out of space. The color is depicted with actual colored lights. High on practical effects to portray the decay on the individuals think of the void or harbinger down. Subtle cgi to depict the globules. Subtle hint for another cthulhu mythos sequel.

Pickmans model would work for that to some extent.

BASED

make a 3d imax experience invovling fractal zoom of Yog-Sothoth that will gurantee audience going mad
Basically this, but with tentacles for 2 hours
youtu.be/aIM95apn6n0?t=2m54s

Alex Jones at Bohemian Grove but with Tom Cruise and a giant octopus.

been done, didn't even need $150 mill

youtube.com/watch?v=e-OknmEs9mY

in order for it to work you'd need

>a lc story with an ending that most people in it make it out of alive and sane so normies don't hate it like they did with the mist
>a monster that can't be shown much(because fear of the unknown) so it would need to be shot like jaws with minor glimpses of whatever monster
>a competent director and writer that the studios can trust to not balls it up
>some real deep seated fear leading up until the end

I liked The Void overall but think it ran out of steam during the last third of the film.

Just make the Revenant, but instead of revenge, it's reaching a spoopy mountain.
The focus on the bleakness and vastness of the wilderness is a must

Just a doc about the fall of Europe to foreign invaders.

>Minor glimpses of whatever monster.

I think a movie that did this well with a large monster was the first few shots of the monster in Cloverfield.

nice quads dude. i agree, the magic of lovecraft is the whole mystery culminating in the final stages, where something is so unbelievable but has manifested itself and the shock and horror comes to the reader it cant really be portrayed in the typical massive cgi monster growling and moving around on a screen. myself id probably have the movie hint at it and end the film with the distraught hero/heroine looking into the camera panting and going visibly mad. like this guy says .

this user gets it

pusyposter

Mountains of Madness could be cool but the lack of an intense climax would probably be received poorly

adapt dreamquest of unknown kadath. spend only 5 mil on production and the rest on marketing. ditch the animal-people characters for warring clans of a nondescript indiginous people

Add another human character to fight with the protagonist for petty reasons. Money or glory or something
When they have the big fight at the end, have them be dwarfed by what's really going on.
Like, their right is interrupted by something we, the audience, can't see, and the antagonist tears out his eyes or something and the protagonist limps off just sane enough to escape.

Shadow Over Insmouth Then?