The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 3: New Mutants (Part 33)

>I am just a girl, one among the others, nothing much to say
>Plain and simple girl, not a special type in any way
>Just one look, and you will surely see
>That the true "Miss Nobody" is me
>It's an evil world that has only made me a girl

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

I say the series peaked with the dinosaur attacking Comic-Con.

All rides must come to an end, I'm afraid.

42 issues is kind of pathetic for the time this came out. Also, kinda funny how the series got cancelled so soon after receiving an overhaul.

'bout damned time these X-Men got what was coming to 'em! And ...**DAZZLER!**... is just the girl to do it!

Get off the Internet, Alison, you're drunk again.

It's so weird that this was what Paul Chadwick did before Concrete.

Hold the phone, Paul Chadwick drew this?!

Huh, so he did. That IS weird.

Isn't "going in a different creative direction" always the precursor to cancellation with these spin-off properties?

I find the dazzler of A Force almost unrecognizable.

Yeah, it's their last desperate attempt at gaining new readers. Sometimes it works (most famously with Spider-Man in Marvel's case), most of the time though...

Before seeing this I only knew Chadwick from Concrete and that one Tom Strong short. I've never seen him producing "hackwork" before but this is pretty bland.

Artists don't want to take too many risks when they're starting out, going out on a limb is dangerous by definition.
So they play things safe and boring until they're more secure, after all "starving artist" is an IRL threat for them.

Dazzler mostly makes me miss romance comics.

this is her Konami Arcade outfit

Also he might have been pressured to use house style.

Thank god. I love the other series but Dazzler does nothing at all for me. I'm kind of dreading her time in Uncanny just because I don't like the character at all.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think it's always kind of nice to see an artist's lesser early work. It's comforting to know that their determination made them better.

>not diggin' the Dancing Queen
lol

The Goblin Queen was right, Cyclops never spent any damned time with his wife!

This is the first time I've seen Daz' in that outfit in a comic.
I've seen it in promotional artwork, toylines, one arcade game, and even in Marvel trading cards but never in actual comics.

I mean, it had to come from somewhere, right?

Close. No jacket.

It breaks my heart that the artists for that game all used pseudonyms. I will never find out who draws my fav Dazzler.

Dang jacket loophole! Made me into a liar!

(Her and '90s Cyclops, why didn't they like their superhero uniforms?)
Any idea what the name of that game was? And did they ever port it over to a console?
It drives me nuts to not remember.

It's just called "X-Men" and it's coin op only. There's a 2-4 player version, and also a double screen wide 6 player version with enhanced audio. There's also 3 different regional versions of the game.

All the designs are based off of an animated pilot for an X Men cartoon that was never picked up. "Pryde of the X-Men". It's okay.

It used to be available on PSN and XBL but they took it down most likely because Konami are a bunch of clueless cunts who hate money.

When Disney acquired the rights to Marvel, all sorts of games went off of digital marketplaces. But with Konami deeply decided on getting away from the traditional game scene it's pretty unlikely to return.

BTW thanks for this story time. I've been waiting for these parts for a while.

How did Jim Shooter get a writer as respected as Archie Goodwin to do a series that was clearly doomed?

That was a great game, I stunk at it: could never get past Pyro.

I have played through it many times and relish the chance to speak about it. I have come "this" close to beating the game on one quarter but Master Mold ends like 95% of my runs.

No problem, user.

Goodwin wrote some odd shit from time to time, lemme tell ya.

>all used pseudonyms

I'm pretty sure that was the standard for Japanese developers for a long time. People couldn't use their real names in credits so that no one could talent scout from other developers

I remember going to some knock-off Chuck E Cheese once, and all the games had free play. I spent a few hours playing this, with other kids rotating in and out as they had to go. It was glorious.

I KNOW IS NOT GOOD TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS OUTSIDE OF Sup Forums BUT LEAVE DID IT!

WE ARE OUT OF THE EU, EXCALIBUR STORYTIME WHEEEEEEEN ?

Great Thor, have mercy! Did the version you played also have horribly slow control responses?
And OMG, was not the insanely long windup character animation that slowed every attack so worth it?

2 more volumes.

I haven't played a physical version in probably 13 years, (there was one nearby as a kid, but I haven't been able to hunt it down) but I have emulated every single version of the game. Any delay would be a little irregular, though there is a portion of a second long windup to your attack like in most video games. It's much less noticeable in Japanese editions where characters move and attack much faster.