Is college/university just a meme for anyone that doesn't want to be a doctor or a lawyer?

Is college/university just a meme for anyone that doesn't want to be a doctor or a lawyer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXfvlg0Qj4E
businessinsider.com/how-to-become-an-attorney-without-law-school-2014-7
top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm starting to think that "careers" and "job security" both are also memes. Hard to know what to do for your future let alone know that you'll even always have a job with so much uncertainty and employers doing whatever the hell they want to screw you out of a job by either simple fire/layoffs anytime and for any reason they feel like hell they dont even have to tell you or by having excessive applicant requirements like 2 years experience for an entry level job they won't even train you for.

That's basically how I feel about. I ask because I'm considering going back, but I still don't have much direction as far as what to do with my future, and of course with such high competition there's no guarantee of a livable future for me.

Depending on my exam results I get in 2 weeks time. I may be studyjng economics at uni.
Is economics a meme-tier degree?

Pretty much. I'd say STEM in general, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars on your own lab and supplies, if you can even get the chemicals for chemistry.

Many people were coding and making computers before there were many classes in universities, why can't people do that now? There are dozens of sites with all the materials.

Make your own thread, faggot

I'm 30 and really don't know either ha. I mean while I didn't get a necessarily bad degree (IT) college never really gave me that much confidence or hands onness. Like they made me think most of my higher level stuff would mostly be "on computer all the time". Nope there was still lecture/exam/paper bullshit though a little bit of hands on was there, it should've been more.

Yes oxygen is also just a meme, stop breathing

no

Well yeah I def learned on my own building my own systems before and other repair stuff. Coding wise in class I was never really that great at it and didn't really pursue that , most of the CS/IT students seemed like they were going to end up being code monkeys or something. I mean I did keep books and possibly would be open to programming again but I really don't know nor would have any ideas for any real kind of project to showcase this sort of thing.

In terms of knowing anything, yes. But gatekeepers value it, and some employers require it since they don't trust their own judgement.

science, engineering, mathematics, business, philosophy. all vital pilars of a functional high intelligences society..

ohh wait a hamburger

i meant to say Ogga ooohga Ooo oo Grunt Grunt

do you enjoy those studies that involve finding out which race benefits the most from ebt cards?

cause that's most of what you're going to be doing. sometimes, economists don't even work with finance, they just do studies and find correlations to write up a paper about and have their peers review it to put into some academic library for students to use when they need to refer to a source for their paper

You are correct. What job security is there in the regime uncertainty with many careers in sectors affected by bubbles or the next recession catalyzed by the downfall of Deutsche Bank? Your job is only as secure as the long-term sustainability of firms, structural integrity of institutions, and inelasticity of demand in an economy where values are always changing

I just graduated EE this year

I know a whole bunch

But I have no skills

I look at jobs, and they're like, "Must have X years experience using Y program, must have deep working knowledge of Z systems, must have A years experience designing B"

I just fucking read a load of WORDS

Like I put in 4 solid years, got my 2:1, and now I'm taking another whole YEAR OF MY LIFE aside so I can actually LEARN THINGS THAT ARE USEFUL FOR MY CAREER

most Jewish institution in the USA

it is literally over advertised to the point where your weird for not going. and ounce they get your money you either fail and drop out or pay more money pass and walk out without a job waiting for you, destroying your financial future and credit.

IF your SURE you wan tot be in
>business
>law (attorney)
>medicine
>science
or
>engineering
then go to college and have fun, but if you have no idea what you want to do than hold off unless someone is paying for you

don't fall for the Humanities, Liberal Arts meme, everything they teach you can be learned online for free, and you can still go to college and major in EE and make $50,000+ compared to philosophy and work at McDonalds

No

>some employers require it since they don't trust their own judgement.

Fucking HR.

I know if I were hiring someone for coding, I'd want to know they can code, not that they have a degree or trying to meet a quota.

Funny thing is recently I finally did find a job, only to only do it for a day for it to turn into delays to return then basically weeks went by and now basically yeah the bastards laid me off. I mean my boss liked me too so it had to have been something above him. Can't even keep a job past a day...

>philosophy

lel
filled with faggots and leftists

>inb4 not in muh country

Yes in your country

so because you were too stupid to take an internship during your time in uni it's someone else's fault? you didn't take your time seriously and now employers aren't either. this is why we swiss won't hire you nigger euros

My studies so far have been on Business, Micro and Macro economics.
My course overview doesn't correlate to what you saying. I just don't want to end up with a liberal arts tier degree after 3 years.

An issue though with a lot of the internships from what I would see in my college years was that they would only want to look at people with 3.0+ GPAs so if you had average because you did fine in some classes and not in others probably pointless to try to get them

>take an internship

>implying there were a plethora of internships to be taken

They had to scrap the university-run internship program because nobody was willing to take on students. My only option was to leave the country for an unpaid internship,

EE here. That's why you need an internship to prove that you are at least competent int the work force. EE is tough, you you have a edge, but you need to prove yourself.

That's what I learned from college

College is a meme and a scam, you don't need 4-6 years to learn something, most of the courses are bloated with useless shit or outdated information. Sadly you can't get a decent paying job without a degree, unless you have connections ofc.

>Sadly you can't get a decent paying job without a degree, unless you have connections ofc.

I'm sure even with connections you need a degree or at least experience.

The fundamental idea behind universities has been severely corrupted in recent years. They were once a bastion of intellectualism and the only people that went to them were people who genuinely had a gnawing desire to learn about and contribute to the world of academia. Now university is simply seen as another stepping to reach a decent paying career. Because of this societal stress to attend university, they have since had to lower their standards to cater to the growing influx of students. To put it another way, university was once a place to go to in order to work alongside other intellectually minded people, now it is nothing more than an extension of high school education, an extra hoop to jump through in order to gain the necessary credentials to compete in the modern job market.

Was in highschool, got myself a job at a hotel, somehow I talked myself into it, without job experience, I left a good impression, knowing 4 languages and having decent writing skills, when I wrote the motivation letter, she liked it, going there with a suit and shit, while everyone else was going there with jeans and sportswear, landed the job.
Finished highschool, went to work at a real estate firm, muh years in a hotel, I know so much about the client needs, I have knowledge in that in that, which I read before going there. I know the housing business, know this and this language.
Landed the job again, while studying accounting for a year to get a diploma that I am somehow a decent human bean.
Went to a university aboard, studying finance law, then went to a shitty law firm and was there some time, because I had job experience and could sell myself, I handled the documents at the real estate business while dealing with a jurist, I have accounting skills and this school and this this job experience, I'm studying this and this.
If you get out of school no-one gives jack shit, just don't waste time and push yourself, go up the ladder, don't hope for someone to hire a know it all young punk without real practice.

Become a doctor

You get all the real world experience every step of the way. 200k-700k salary depending on specialization and great benefits

>live in technology advanced age
>think you've got it made being born into wealth
>become NEET tier for a time due to lack of connections and not meeting the arbitrary degree quota
>anime dystopias look more appealing and make more sense

Truly a wonderful time to be alive.

No, but the days of 'graduate college and get 300k starting wherever' are gone.

If you are considering college, research your proposed career first. College is expensive, and many degrees are worthless, but some are very useful and can help open doors.

The job market is very rough were I am right now. I'm seriously considering moving to a different city with only the clothes on my back.

STEM is absolutely useful, it provides objectively useful skills and that's all that matters.

Wanna build a tv? Air conditioner? Fridge? Weapon platforms deployed in higher orbit? A machine that produces ton of stuff cost-effectively? Encrypted, truly private communications? Fucking hell you can employ yourself.

STEM and medicine are real true useful generating redpilled masterrace professions. Everything else just leeches off of these absolutely core and essential professions, you can fire everyone else.

It's a shame a school for engineer and a school for gender studies/social sciences/stuff that doesnt even have any math in it, share a name (university). Its fundamentally different. One generates, other is a parasite, produces nothing, just degenerates.

s-school is for a base, having roots.
Years ago I stumbled onto some youtube channel a friend of mine sent me, with 500 subscribers or something, basically he was a conspiracy theorist, was talking how there is no speed in light that the light is NOW.
I turn this lamp on and the light is NOW, there is no speed in light, it is made up by jews, that's the reason why we need education.
You don't know or remember how to calculate an angle for building a house, instead of trying and failing while making a crooked wall or inventing a wheel, you just remember oh I learned that in school it was something with sine, cosine and tangent, I somehow remember how to do it, you know what to look and how to look, that is why school is important.

Its a meme for any profession, none are exempt

>with a suit and shit

Here's another thing I hate, people still pushing the wearing a suit/tie meme. I don't ever wear them or own any and think they are freaking stupid. Other threads on Sup Forums about this have shown me I'm really not alone in thinking this. Really good for you that it got you a job but still it shouldn't be the standard.

>300k starting wherever

thats bullshit, noone ever said that maybe for doctors or lawyers but not engineering or business. It was always 'make 6 figures' and still easily achievable but it requires HARD WORK and dedication something you faggot millenials know nothing about

>said a retard, from a computer, which was made by someone with a formal education in a technical field

STEM degrees are valid.

depends on the situation by brother, the everyday attire in the job was wearing a suit, I worked at the reception.

Yeah I guess that's true, I just have hated all my life getting shit for not accepting the meme and being different. I can look just fine without that stuff. It's not like I go out in pajamas and never shower there's some limits obviously. I mean Ill wear a polo t-shirt for an interview that's a fair balance I guess.

>wanting to be a lawyer

You can get the same education for free with the internet and a library.

When you pay for college you're paying for access. Access to professors, facilities, social circles, professional networks, etc.

>p.s. don't go to law school.

>still easily achievable but it requires HARD WORK

how can something be easily achievable but require hard work?

additionally, is there is no quantity of work in academia that will guarantee an X studies degree holder a job making 6 figures. X studies degrees are worthless, a 4.0 GPA in being a feminist has no practical skills associated with it. There are many degrees that are worthless from a practical standpoint.

You're not going to get a real answer on Sup Forums, of all places. Seriously, why even ask this board?

University is a Jewish invention designed to trap future white generations in the debt snare.

대학교에 다녔어요?

You're right, it's stupid.
I mean, I was in highschool when I read about the first impression thing and started to apply it.
When I wore jeans and wanted to go across the road, 1 car in 5 stopped, when I was wearing a suit, coat or something decent almost every car always stopped, pretty retarded, but hey, it's the 21 century.
I had a thought that it all depends on the sub culture of a person, if an individual has a specialty on engineering, IT then suit is stupid, when business or marketing, then yeah, suit.
I just became accustomed to it, working for a year in a hotel while wearing a suit every work day for 12 hours and after that going to the real estate business, by the time I was 19, I had no jeans or t-shirts that were not for jogging.
Different lives, different clothing and tastes I guess.

>Is college/university just a meme for anyone that doesn't want to be a doctor or a lawyer?

Its a meme for anyone who has no problem with physical labor for the rest of their lives, or for anyone with an IQ over 140.

For the rest of us, the ones who dont want to work a job that will kill our bodies by the time we are 40, and who arent smart/lucky enough to program "the next big thing on the internet" college is just about the only real answer

>don't go to law school
Why not? How can you be a lawyer without law school?

>open carry
>post video on youtube
>yell I'm a lawyer I know my rights
>am I being detained, am I being detained, am I being detained
profit?

Job security doesnt mean you keep the same job your entire life because you warm a seat reliably. Job security means you are more educated, better, and faster at your particular job than the horde outside waiting to take it.

If you want "your" definition of job security, find a union job and dont fuck up for 5 years or so. Once you hit that 5-8 year mark, you are basically unfirable no matter how badly you suck

A philosophy degree in the US will get you 2 jobs. Teaching college courses on philosophy and working at Walmart as a cashier.

Don't be a lawyer, study something useful.

I had a opinion that the real security is yourself, If the economics is in a shithole, you will get a job and have means to overcome it, when you have a need for a job you will always find it and have the skills to get money.
Not working at a dead end job and kissing ass to not get fired.
But being a asset, not being afraid to lose a job, because you're qualified enough to find another if the old one gets to your nerves or you have other reasons.
Not needing the job, but the firm and job needing you, not working just for the money and being in one place, but gathering information at different workplaces for some higher goal.

That IS how most jobs are in technology. You dont get called without a degree (the theory) and you dont get interviewed until you pass a skills test (the practical)... the actual interview is to make sure you arent hiring socially awkward people who will fuck with the mojo of the office (possibly the most important part of the hiring process)

>t. white boi

Roughly 40-50% of people who graduate from law school don't go on to become lawyers due to lmfao no jobs.

Average cost of attendance tops six figures and of those lucky grads who do snag lawyer jobs most are making between 40-60k out of the gates (again this is with six figure loan debt, being out of the labor market for three years and to top it all off those 40-60k jobs are often exceedingly stressful and require silly long hours).

With my lsat and gpa I can make it into a t14 law school (almost guaranteed employment at a firm making 145-180k depending on the firm and market) and I'm not even sure I'll go without a hefty discount.

The attrition rate at these firms is unreal and the debt load is pants shitting scary.

With that said lawl school attendance has been dropping for years now and we are in the middle of a painfully gradual market correction.

But even if you are better at said job, the employer can still be an asshole and take it from you because hey the horde over there I can pay a bunch of them less than it costs to employ you and be able to exploit them more with longer hours and shit.

What's wrong with being a lawyer?

>200k-700k salary

HA, yea no, not unless you specialize in something...which is going to add another 3-5 years of school/interning.

My wife's brother is family doctor in a small practice and while he is not hurting for money last year after everything was said and done, he cleared 65k

everything man. It's a very intensive study where all you learn are facts and rules instead of thinking for yourself. Also the people that study it are horrible.

In the modern age many fields can be self taught but it still take sufficient time and effort. Higher education provides the same information but in a more structuredfirm in which one can receive feed back and exchange ideas with your peers. It's biggest benefit though is that it serves as a very expensive vetting process, if you self teach everything required to work in your desired field that is wonderful but an employer doesn't want to take the risk of entrusting someone whos skills can't be verified with responsibilities which ultimately they will have to pay for should the employee fail. Having a degree from a university gives a potential employer some measure of guarantee of a persons skills and intelligence which helps eliminate risk.

The only alternative to college is networking, since the degree serves as an assurance that you know what you are doing building the right personal connections within your desired industry while also aquring the required skills can serve you just as well if not better when it comes to getting a job

TLDR: It's not what you know, it's who you know.

If you are actually good at your job, your employer wont think that way. If you are an asset (and very few people are despite what they think) the entire company will get laid off around you. If you want comfy cozy hours, never work a holiday or a weekend, never willing to work 12 hour days for weeks on end...then you arent an asset and you should be replaced.

Job security doesnt mean you can be a shitty employee. Thats why I suggested a union job for you

>It's a very intensive study where all you learn are facts and rules instead of thinking for yourself.

Maybe in windmill land. A huge part of any legal application is interpreting case law, applying rules to cases and being able to communicate (orally and written) well.

Maybe the Netherlands has civil law compared to Anglo common law? Idk, but what you said is not accurate at all lol faggot

But how did you do it without going to a law school? Don't tell me you just googled it. Did you download and study old LSATs for a year?

Can't really get one I'm in a right to work state. Like I said earlier with that one job that I got laid off from after only working there a day, they basically did whatever they felt like not even communicating to me reasons why.

>go to university
>study physics
>have a industry approach you and offer to pay you all the living expenses + tuition + everything else + 6 digits starting once you graduate, you only sign to cant work for a competitor for 2 years
>you are actually good at what you do
>attract attention from the federal government
>they bail you out of your industry contract, still have 6 digits starting and everything, but also added a secret moon/submarine/satellite bunker just for you, again just sign not to work for other government

>>>have a 6 digits starting and a moon bunker before you even started, watch shitters on Sup Forums say its all useless

Have you ever wanted to spend 4 years arguing over what the meaning of "is" is?

Have you ever wanted to work in a field where your career is determined by political headwinds and social networks?

believing this meme
>you learn laws, you will not need them later, they become obsolete
>you study a lot of laws, you don't use your brain
You learn the principal of them and you will learn to understand them
Also this

There's nothing wrong with becoming a lawyer if you go to a good law school and study hard. It can be a lucrative and fulfilling career path.

>inb4 people with no experience in the legal field cite their friend's friend's shitty legal career as evidence against going into law

Yes, if you go to a bad law school or slack off while in law school, things will suck. Shocker.

I am 30 and going back to university for a science degree. I could have just enrolled in some MOOCs to learn computer science and data analysis but the university experience is fun and there are a lot of good networking opportunities. Plus, I am not sure if employers attach a lot of weight to online degrees and fake diplomas.

If you think the state you are in is the problem then move (except its not. Even the highest unemployment state in the union has jobs available.)

No job lays you off after a single day. I suspect you are leaving a large part of this story out

From my experience the shitty lawyers who went to no name schools and barely passed the Bar end up working 9-5 in the legal departments of giant companies. Its not a horrible life but you also arent raking in the money

It's just a rubber stamp that shows you know how to sit down and shut up
If you want a job you need to go get a masters or go into trades
Law School are a good way to end up a burger flipper if you don't get into a top 10 program

No I'm really not I said I only worked at it a day (not that they laid me off right then) then originally there were delays because of moving to a new location down the street then weeks go by and even calling them still nothing new and for all intents I'm pretty much laid off. Which really makes no sense because my boss liked me and stuff so it had to be something above him. And I don't think I was the only one affected. I mean there's still a "slight" chance Ill get called but it's been months now.

That chick looks a little... tardy.

>But how did you do it without going to a law school?

How did I do what? I'm not licensed to practice law if that's what you're saying. With that said I think there is one state where it's possible to take the bar exam (and practice law) without a jd. I forget which.

With my numbers I could attend a lower ranked school for free (and possibly even with a living stipend). A free degree is worthless if there's no job (or an incredibly shitty one) waiting for me at the end.

>Don't tell me you just googled it.

Googled what? You're not being clear.

>Did you download and study old LSATs for a year?

I bought a shitload of study materials second hand from a girl at my uni and borrowed study materials from my girlfriend.

For learning how to take the test Powerscore Bible>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

Aside from that I did a shitload of practice sets, timed tests, untimed tests etc.

I practiced 2-5 hours a day for about 4.5 months

The difference between a good and bad lsat score can literally be millions over the course of a career (starting at 45k versus 180k will have a massive effect on your earnings trajectory).

You would have to be an idiot to apply to law school and not take it seriously.

MOON BUNKER NIGGER
MOON BUNKER, GET THAT WITH A LAWYER DEGREE

A moon bunkers pretty useless. No cheap way to get up there.

Over here in the border lawyers from no name schools do really good, defending shitbag drug smugglers and drug dealers, but they live good

>If you are actually good at your job, your employer wont think that way.
You'd be VERY surprised.

In general, do you think you're more likely to come across idiots, or people that are extremely adept at their jobs?

What does Sup Forums think about dentistry?

>family doctor

aka smoked weed in medical school and did shit on his boards

>With that said I think there is one state where it's possible to take the bar exam (and practice law) without a jd

There is not a state in the US where you can sit for the Bar without a JD or LLM. Even then the Bar association doesnt accept law degrees from most foreign countries

Don't let it get you down too much. Sometimes employers are shitty and stupid.

With that said, if this is becoming a pattern then, yeah, you're probably a fuck up. But if it's only a one off thing at a low level job don't sweat it.

>Can't really get one I'm in a right to work state.

Go back to school to become a teacher and move to state is with a strong teacher's union. There's a huge teacher shortage right now, job security is ironclad and granted automatically after a few years (at least it was where I grew up). Also, the pay isn't quite as shitty as people make it out to be.

How many practice tests did you take? Did your score take hits on the reading section? I'm just curious, as I'm taking it in December. I've worked through the logic games bible and logical reasoning bible, going to start doing three practice tests per week next Monday.

Is Agriculture Sup Forums approved?

Sometimes I take the shit I read here seriously.

Then I see threads like this where nobody has any fucking idea what they're doing.

Go to a historically black college to get a real education.

youtube.com/watch?v=sXfvlg0Qj4E

If you want to go into industry, econ is very strong, both for undergrad and extremely so at grad level.

If you're an undergrad nobody cares about your econ 101 classes, but data analytics + econometrics make you valuable to a wide variety of analysis firms like consulting and finance companies. These days, research and quant analysis skills are in high demand.

I was referring to your apparent success with the LSAT. Even that seems incredible to me.

Nah that wouldn't be the best job for me desu, I'm pretty anxious. This warehouse job was perfect.
Really though it wasn't anything that was my fault. Another time I did get a job after an interview but they put me basically on a waiting list and never called me until I got the other job but that job was worse anyway. I just keep having shit go wrong

>ou don't know or remember how to calculate an angle for building a house, instead of trying and failing while making a crooked wall or inventing a wheel, you just remember oh I learned that in school it was something with sine, cosine and tangent, I somehow remember how to do it, you know what to look and how to look, that is why school is important.

Literally what?

I know for a fact 80% of employees are worthless for more than the simplest of tasks. I also know that nearly no one will ever accept that they actually suck at their job. Ive seen people fired for talking on their cell phone, not once, but for hours a day, every day, and think it is some kind of personal vendetta against them. Ive seen order packers who worked so slowly it actually cost money to have them in the building.

My favorite one though is again with a cellphone. After being told for a good 2 weeks "stop with the phone calls. You are at work" It progressed into getting written up. "talking on your phone is slowing you down and distracting you. This is your absolute final warning. Please dont make me fire you for something so dumb"

Guess what the dense motherfucker did?

He went out and bought a bluetooth headset. When he was getting fired he actually said "but I dont understand, I got a headset so I dont have to hold the phone anymore"

I know for a fact nearly every worker is worthless on some level.

basically you unconsciously apply the information you learn in school, even if it seems unimportant when you're learning it

>aka smoked weed in medical school and did shit on his boards

Wise decision or not he moved back home to a very small town. His actual problem is the state and fed pay so little for services and 99% of his patients are elderly.

Doctors who take cash only are the ones with the multi million dollar houses. He pays more than twice his net income in malpractice insurance alone.

Well like I said in my case nobody complained at all about my work and they were understanding that it was the first day and wasn't used to it and things. Even said they wanted me to succeed.

What does the 140 IQ have to do with it?

I know a few people in that range (by which I mean they're brilliant, I didn't ask them to submit measurements) and the successful ones all went to college.

The one guy in that range who didn't is currently being Jewed into doing self taught skilled work in high tech for way less than he could've made with a degree.

If you are actually really interested in agriculture get a biology BS and a MS in Agricultural Science. You can make a fuckton of money in rural America working for someone like Cargill or Archer Daniels

That's what LLMs are for nigga.

businessinsider.com/how-to-become-an-attorney-without-law-school-2014-7

Literally three seconds of googling.

I didn't keep track of the number of tests desu. There were a lot. I also had several thousand pages of pure problems segregated by problem type.

The reading section was one of my better sections. On test day I was eviscerated by the lsat logical reasoning section (I think I was just tired because the prior sections went very well whereas that fifth fucking section was responsible for more than half of all the problems I got wrong on that test).

I didn't use this personally but I've heard good things about it top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Someone has to be in the top 1%, might as well be me. Parts of the test are very learnable. As for the reading section (and to a lessor extent the logical reasoning section) I scored a 780/800 on the verbal SAT section with no studying.

I spent a lot of my childhood reading- turns out if you do something a lot you get good at it.

Sorry dude, yeah, teaching can suck if you aren't confident/ aren't capable of putting up an extroverted front.

Come up to the Seattle area. In the suburbs south of the city you can land warehouse work paying $13-14 /hr and the cost of living isn't absolutely insane.

How the fuck do so many Indians get hired if they are shitty coders and barely literate in English?

>Rapunzel

Best Disney princess.

All this and more would be experienced by a person with down syndrome.