The silhouette test: the true secret to good character design or animation meme used to promote Disney products?

The silhouette test: the true secret to good character design or animation meme used to promote Disney products?

Character silhouette's are fucking useless for animation dipshit.

I don't know, I can tell all of these characters Disney or not. And I'm kind of thinking popularity of the character kind of has something to do with that.
I think a better example would be the silhouettes of similar types of characters and then see if they're still as distinctive.

Who is second row last column?

Super Mouse. Cheap parody of Superman.

Mighty Mouse

It's often misunderstood. A good character design will have a distinct silhouette, but that alone doesn't make a character design good.

Meant to say Mighty Mouse.

Was Bobby's World even that popular? I question his standing with the rest of those characters.

well, I think this is mostly about design qualities but if Arnold can be there then yea, Bobby gets a seat at the table.

Bobby's World ran for 8 seasons and a continuation is apparently in some form of production.

Is bottom row, third from the left supposed to be Casper?

Mickey, Daffy, Fred, Ren & Stimpy, Bart, Spongebob, Felix, Road Runner
Marge, Yogi, Stewie, Popeye, Mr. Krabs, Chuck, Bugs, WWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Mighty Mouse
Bullwinkle, Odie, Goofy, Squidward, Dexter, Snoopy, Mojo Jojo, Olive Oil, Pink Panther
Betty, Arnold, Casper, Sherman and Mr. Peabody, Taz, Bobby, Pinky and The Brain, Marvin.

I think I got these right.

never held hello kitty back.

better question

WHERE's DONALD?

I thought Olive Oyl was Coach Z at first.

>Character silhouette's are fucking useless for animation dipshit.

Jimmy Exam

right next to mickey...

Joey Quiz

Jeremy Questionnaire

That's Daffy, user.

Jackie Survey

Jason Evaluation

James Inquiry

Niall Trial

Joni Testicles.

>He wasn't alive during the goat shadow thread

>lying
prove it

THEY ARE ALL DIPPER!

DIPPER
I
P
P
E
R

That's Stevie Wonder

Nice work user, you beat me by one. I've never heard of this bobby character before.

Maybe Mighty Mouse's problem is that he's not recognizable, he looks like every other fucking cartoon mouse.

Like so many animation principles, it's very misunderstood and you're absolutely correct.

It's like "high framerate"... lots of drawings don't make animation good in and of themselves, they have to be employed properly. Timing and spacing is essential to animation and it's probably more important than going over 8 or 12 drawings per second (on twos).

Similarly a good silhouette makes the character read better when it's small on screen or when it's doing an action, and a good silhouette also makes the character distinct, but it's not the most important aspect of character design. "Look and feel" are much more important, and animate-ability. Look and feel are really hard to quantify, but when you can tell something about a character by how it looks and its art style, that's the look-and-feel

For whatever it's worth, I've usually seen the silhouette thing mentioned in reference to character design by saying that characters /within the same cartoon/ should be distinguishable by that method, not that a character design is bad unless it's immediately iconic and recognizable by silhouette.

I'm sure people can find characters in animated films or whatever who are designed and animated well but whose silhouettes wouldn't be as recognizable as Bugs Bunny or something. Obviously a shitton of characters' silhouettes are more recognizable than others just because they're shown in standard poses or are popular characters.

Recognizing silhouettes has nothing to do with character design, you're SUPPOSED to be able to recognize them, that's how your brain works.

I want this meme to stop.

There's only two in there that any denizen of Sup Forums wouldn't recognize. That merchild in the centre is from bubble guppies or something, and bottom row 4th from the right with the antenna(?).

Joe Project

I'm sorry but the answer we were looking for is *whipcrack*

when you see it

Bravest warriors

Is that Bobby third from the right on the bottom?

Wow, didn't see that one coming.

Now do a silhouette test of every Disney princess and tell me again how much it matters to Disney. The Silhouette test doesn't mean all that much.

Jonny Quest

The blonde guy with the gauntlets and the blue outfit? I meant the big headed girl with the curly hair/antenna. Actually I think she's from that show about dolls with woollen hair and buttons for eyes. I think it's made to sell toys.

Faggot
It has everything to do with how the brain works and with the major concern of cartoon makers: marketing.

You're a tv channel director. How will you make sure little Jimmy, who is zapping trough channels with his remote, will not zap over your cartoon? Touch his instincts before he even start thinking.

Take a guess: what is the closest thing to 2D animation in nature, around us, since forever? Shadows

Way to be an adult, you still haven't proven me wrong. You literally can't tell any Disney princess apart if you have just the silhouette. They just look like a women in a dress, great marketing.

You guys are using it wrong

You don't get it. Shadow is only a fishing hook.
The thing that will make sure you start caring about this character over a thousand others.

This guy gets it. The actually "uniqueness" of the character silhouette isn't what matters, its the what the silhouette is trying to tell you and how well it does, is that matters.

See Tell me who is who, then remember these movies made millions of dollars. I guess their unique shadows is what hooked everyone.

A good silhouette is just one of many things in a character design. It doesn't make a character design good on its own and its usually more of a result of a good character design than a cause. From what I can tell some people just learned it as an interesting bit of trivia and then started spouting it around while parroting each other until it got misconstrued into being some sort of ultimate secret test to decide whether a design succeeds of fails.

Juan Interrogation

is this a 9/11 joke?

Let's do this.

Wonder over yonder, Whimsicott, Uncle Grandpa, Snotty Snake Charmer, Billy Budd, Either Phineas or Ferb, Some fucker waving at me, Louise Burgers

Shredded Moose, Reptar, the vampire from adventure time, Steven Fuckverse, The Littlest Mermaid, Evil Pigpen, that raccoon from Regular Show, Snow King, Clarence

Pizza Steve, Gumball, The Violator, Jake and Adventure Kid, Francine Smith, Ch'p, The duck from phineas and Ferb, Lesbian crystal from Steven Fuckverse

The Groak, another crystal lesbian whose name escapes me, another fucking lesbian, Flamedramon, another fucking lesbian, Bubbles, blue jay from Regular Show, Disco Devil, TV Ted

For a moment I thought Felix the Cat was Astroboy.

Didntseethatcoming McWhipcrack

This. We should compare silhouettes of the Disney Princesses and see if they're easy to differentiate

I knew the all but bottom row 3rd to the left.

See.

Wait, a silhouette of a platypus?

Bane?