Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990

Why is it that the first TMNT movie is largely ignored as a successful and good adaption of a comic book property?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yL6xWunpXhM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Isn't it also an indie film?

That makes it even more impressive.

Indie movie made on a low budget that was #1 for an entire month

>Thread is ignored just like the movie

Kek

Because it wasnt.

It wasn't ignored by fans or the mainstream theater goers at the time. It made a decent amount of money. The first TMNT is one of the best comic book movies to date.

>largely ignored
was it?

I wasn't alive when it came out, but I saw in the late 90's on vhs

It wasn't ignored on released. Great reception and made back its budget and far more in its first weekend. It remained #1 for 4 weeks in a row and maintain 2nd place for 3 more weeks.

I mainly mean in the context of today when people refer to good comic book movies. TMNT rarely comes up.

Most people don't know that TMNT started out as a comic book. They usually think of the 1987 show or the toy line.

I believe a huge chunk of TMNT fans still view this as the best TMNT movie? But maybe that's just me and I did grow up with it but I do believe it still holds up really well. It's one of my favorite comic book movies.

This.

AH! THE RAT! So it has a name

HAD a name

I do remember seeing the Vanilla Ice musical number in Secret of the ooze and thinking it was awesome. In retrospect, that was the only redeeming thing of SotO. Turtles in Time was terrible. The CGI movie wasn't bad. Michael Bay's TMNT movies are honestly 5/10 and 6/10 for the first and second respectively.

This.

Who /vhs/ here?

youtube.com/watch?v=yL6xWunpXhM

TMNT 1 Shredder was amazing. Second best Shredder after 2k3

This. My first exposure to them was the 2003 cartoon

I fucking loved Casey Jones in this. It seems like in most movies with a side character motivated by revenge, it's always "REVENGE IS NOT THE WAY IF YOU KILL HIM YOU'LL BE JUST LIKE HIM."

I love that Casey gets away with just murdering the fuck outta Shredder.

>VHS advertised Pizza Hut
>Movie advertised Dominos

This was the last time they spoke as friends.

It was a great movie and fans recognize this....but man, you have to think of things a bit more broadly

TMNT is still viewed as kids stuff, it has a fanbase with real nerds but the majority sees it as a fun novelty from their childhood and do not give a damn about

It's like The Crow, it was a great fucking movie that was based on a comic but it's legacy will be known for goth kids, much like TMNT's is known for nostalgic fucktards and manchildren

>TMNT is still viewed as kids stuff,
I tried to convince my mom that I should be able to swear and say damn since Raph said it in the movie.

Dominos is better.

I'm not sure how you can make this argument when we've just had two movies where men in tights fight each other.

This is all kids and manchildren shit. Don't fool yourself into thinking that some capeshit is acceptable and others aren't.

>I'm not sure how you can make this argument when we've just had two movies where men in tights fight each other.
Comic books are seen as hip, TMNT is not viewed by casuals as "comic books", it's viewed as retro nostalgia and a little kid's show

>This is all kids and manchildren shit. Don't fool yourself into thinking that some capeshit is acceptable and others aren't.

I'm telling you what the masses think, not what I think. Do you even know how many fangirls of the MCU will still call you a nerd if you say you read the real comics? Put that into perspective and then realize how the majority of non nerds view TMNT

They live in NYC. No fucking way they eat Pizza hut or Dominos.

In the cartoon they all have californian dialects and in the movie only Raph has an accent despite all growing up in the same place, tis fiction bro

am I the only one who makes their own pizza? Hard to go back to delivery after that.

I'm not pre judging your pizza, but a home made pizza with your standard grocery store ingredients baked in the average oven in an average home is no better than most chains, some of the better chains are much better actually not counting the big 3

Honestly I just think its boring. If I'm going to watch a Ninja Turtles movie, its the second one. Easy. And I'd be willing to bet most people would agree with me. One was great but when you compare it to 2 it nothing. I mean Tokka and Razar, The Ninja Rap? Kung Fu Cold Cuts? What does the first one have? A lot of talking and a kidnapping arc? Ehh...

I don't eat delivery but I do eat digiorno

Because Ninja Turtles hasn't been relevant since the 80s.

well I had some pizza hut recently and it was surpisingly good actually, Don't see chains use stuff like chedder or mexican cheese or put all the meat and vegetables in the sauce or use bisquit dough for the crust though. Not near as I can tell anyway.

boils down to cost and effort I suppose. Less the quality and more the variety of the ingredients which has it's own little impact on quality.

>or put all the meat and vegetables in the sauce
this is the key to good 'za. Layering on meat after you've put on the sauce and cheese is a mistake.

Pizza Hut is probably the only one of the big chains I find slightly acceptable.

Digorno and Dominos taste like I'm literally eating cardboard. Little Caesar, you get what you pay for.

agreed, if you're using stuff like ground beef, chicken, etc, you want to get the grease into the sauce. A lot of the flavor is in there and it doesn't last well if you just put the meat on top. They're called Pies for a reason. Peperoni and Bacon are the only real exceptions since you want those crunchy and that means they go on top. (well pepperoni is debatable there honestly, you can put the slices in the sauce too.)

maybe this is off topic but I visted a McDonalds a few months back, the staff forgot I was there and I had to remind them of that fact to get my food. Only the nuggets and fries were any good, rest was kind of tasteless.

Compare that to Whattaburger where I got my meal in three minutes and it tasted like it'd been charcoal grilled.

you do get what you pay for.

>Honestly I just think its boring. If I'm going to watch a Ninja Turtles movie, its the second one. Easy. And I'd be willing to bet most people would agree with me. One was great but when you compare it to 2 it nothing. I mean Tokka and Razar, The Ninja Rap? Kung Fu Cold Cuts? What does the first one have? A lot of talking and a kidnapping arc? Ehh...
The second movie is better I suppose if you're looking for something childish, over the top, and nostalgic, the first movie is better if you're looking for a better movie that holds up as actually good if you're open to the childish

I disagree, I've done it before and it's interesting but toppings on top are the best for me....pizza topping is best when it's ever so slightly singed but not burnt, should be a little crispy to give conflicting texture to the gooey cheese and wet sauce, when you bake the toppings underneath they get more soft than crisp

Because it possessed Turtle Power.

1990...that was just before my life turned to shit.

Because most people don't know TMNT was a comic.

Were you in a hair band by chance? Cause I was born in 89 but I feel your pain, parties > angst, fuck Nirvana and I'm sorry you got dropped from your label

>pizza topping is best when it's ever so slightly singed but not burn
I guess ultimately depends on if you're a flavor or a texture kind of guy. mixing into the sauce produces better flavor but the texture of meat on top pizza is also worthwhile.

Because its honestly not very good hence the lack of discussion. It was cool for its time and the suits are impressive.

But the movie itself is weak with paper thin characters.

>But the movie itself is weak with paper thin characters.

Name a cape movie that isn't, really I'd like to hear it...you have to put things into context, which OP obviously did by calling it a comic book film

>Little Caesar

Their deep dish is okay, but my biggest gripe is their hours. They all close way too early. If you're gonna have McDonald's quality pizza, be open late enough for the drunks.

No...but it was when the key bumbles that ruined my life happened.