Who here misses shading in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wZOcMCLyF3o
youtube.com/watch?v=r4adizbMg5A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck shading, gimme my Steven Universe

Get with the times, gramps.

Ironically a lot of rebecca sugar's own storyboards often make use of shading

What does shading even add. It's stupid as shit an expensive. There's a reason why good shows don't do it.

Sure they do.

Yeah, it's stupid and hard. Let's half-ass everything instead. More shekels for the studio's pockets and the little stupid shitheads will eat it up anyway

But invader zim had tons of shading.
I mean, absurdly amounts of shading.
That was the artists' style.

Why not have shading on the characters? They look pretty jarring next to that thing above them.

I feel like it's necessary in darker cartoons though. Then again, dark cartoons don't really exist anymore.

Exactly! This guy gets it. Why bother with that sort of shit when it doesn't add emotional depth or style! You really think the dark sahodwy noir look of Batman the Animated Series had anything to do with that!? HA!

Dude, you're so stuck in the goddamn 80's. Dark cartoons are just offensive, mindless violence, like Batman the animated series. I mean, come on! A show about much simpler things was is necessary.

I-is this how I bait, guys? I-it's my first time, ya know, and I'm just so nervous....

It increases realism and visual quality, but it's less useful and important in cartoons.

OP's image was an example of shading, not the absence of it.

Tell that to good shows like Adventure Time

They do. You can literally look them up and verify this as a fact right now.

I think a lot of recent cartoons use shading for dramatic scenes or ones with unusual lighting, even if it's not a constant feature.

I know Gravity Falls, Star Vs., and Steven Universe have done it at times.

What about Adventure Time?

It works in the right art style but even back then it was pretty rare. Not to say I don't appreciate it, but it will always have to remain something that just comes up in specific scenes unless the art style centers around it like Invader Zim for a darker look or all those DC shows to compliment their more human proportions and detailed character models.

Gumball actually does a lot of work on shading since season 2 onwards as part of their attempt to blend the characters with the environment. Say what you will about season 2 not being as crazy with animation, but none of the characters looked like they were ever a part of their environment until season 2 really started focusing on it.
youtube.com/watch?v=wZOcMCLyF3o

There's an enormous difference in style and detail between the backgrounds and characters. It's probably the worst example of trying to blend the backgrounds and characters together that you could bring up.

>There's an enormous difference in style and detail between the backgrounds and characters

somehow I think that's the point

He meant from a lighting perspective. There's a large, glowing aisle behind them, so that's lighting up their backs and there is more shading on their front. That way it feels like they're actually there, even if the styles don't purposely mesh.

And that's fine, assuming your goal isn't to make them blend together.

Using reflections and some shading helps marginally, but it's still a lost cause. The cartoon perspective doesn't help either.

Well yes, intentionally they are all made to look like mismatched art styles, but back in season 1 they looked mismatched to the point of just looking like clip art posted over a photo too often. Shading them all to their environment for every scene came later and helped a lot, along with a buncha other little effects like the reflections shadows, and them getting better putting more cartoon elements into the environment.

You need to be 18+ to post here.

Without shading, everything looks fucking FLAT. I wouldn't expect a millenial to understand that.

I looked at some clips on YouTube, and there either is no shading or the shading is really basic. And even with things like reflections and shadows they just don't look like they are really there. It looks like someone shot a photo or video and then drew in the characters.

I think even Space Patrol Luluco's ending makes it look more convincing:
youtube.com/watch?v=r4adizbMg5A

Probably because it's not so flat.

>shading is just low opacity flat black shading
>not second color layer that works with the color tone, sometimes a different contrasting color for effect

>What does shading even add

>Had to look up clips of gumball
>Had this random anime outro which is completely different to compare it to

I knew from your posts that you were a faggot, but holy crap the rabbit hole goes deep on this one.

Protip: 18 year olds are millennials

What shitty times that one of the most basic techniques in animation, no, one of the most basic techniques in drawing is gone.

And there are people here that are okay with this.

>Had to look up clips of gumball
So?

>Had this random anime outro which is completely different to compare it to
It has the same idea.

>I knew from your posts that you were a faggot, but holy crap the rabbit hole goes deep on this one.
What are you talking about?

The characters in Gumball aren't supposed to be flat cutouts like Luluco's outro

They almost are, due to the perspective.

I can't hear you over my quality cartoon

fuck the last episode is coming this monday I hate my life

>being a huge faggot

this. Do you know what you people are talking about?

If you were on /m/ period or Sup Forums during certain times of the day you would of just been hung

>concept art / doodles for her blog is a storyboard