Guys...

Guys...my dream is unironically to open an authentic New York-style A-merican deli in my town where I would serve a variety of American sandwiches like pastrami on rye, meatball subs and Philly cheesesteak. Hit me with your best shot, I deserve it.

Other urls found in this thread:

lincroftluigis.com/lunch.html#menu2
jerseymikes.com/menu(this
attiliospizzanj.com/uploads/Attilios_Tinton_Falls_NJ_Menu_Feb_2015.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You should do it, just make sure you’re good at cooking or know a good cook to hire.

That sounds like a great idea! If there's not a market for that already you'll make one.

What the fuck do you think we would know about opening a restaurant

same, except only with American Soul Food and I'll be cooking with my African-American wife :)

I hope you succeed.

Hope you do well friend.

I didn't, I just wanted people to ridicule my forbidden love of exotic American meats. You see, a Vietnamese sandwich place opened here just this summer, and yet no one in town has ever heard of pulled pork, lox, or pastrami (tho pastrami is the Serbocroatian version of proscuitto, but it's not taken in sandwiches there). It would be such an adventure to introduce these completely foreign foods here. Tho I am worried that all American food is seen as unhealthy, which prejudice would certainly be reifnorced by the epic portions of meat typically featuring in an American sandwich. And it'd be cool to give the place an authentic trashy NY feel with bathroom tiles on the wall and a huge glass counter up front like at the butcher's, as well as a giant billboard advertising authentic Italian and Jewish American food.

I would try those

you could even post Sup Forums memes on the wall

Don't go for the trashy feel, that won't do much to alleviate people's stereotypes about American health. A cozy diner feel is better. Also, what's Jewish American food? Is it exclusive to New York?

Jewish-American food is European food that has been appropriated by Jews who pretend to be its inventors.

What are examples of this appropriated European food?

follow your dreams

It's Jewish food in a sandwich, I guess.

What is your weight?

Also, congrats. You seem to have it all figured out, while I'm just another pathetic NEET with no business contacts, no food prep experience, and no idea of how things really work. No wonder microburgeries have been sprouting up everywhere, cause it really doesn't take any knowledge of American food at all to fry up a patty.

I live in New Jersey so these kind of shops are everywhere where I live. I can give you examples of the kind of foods they serve there(assuming you're serious about this).

Also, as my dad would say, "It's the bread that makes the sandwich." Just fucking lol if you make a sub with shitty bread

102 kg (at 190 cm tall). Wider than you, Rajkumar.

This is an important point, you'll want to get a really tough chewy bread to handle the strong crushing and tearing american meat sandwiches undergo. Sourdough or even a bagel or something.

Please go ahead and share the secrets of Joisey cuisine with us.

We've got a nice wide selection of bread here, but that's sound advice.

What sort of area are you planning to open this restaurant in?

I am not a restaurant expert so this might be terrible advice.. but maybe you might have to "betray" the authenticity to appeal to Slovenian tastes.

OK, so looking at the menu and esp. the pricing of Katz's Deli, I've come to a few conclusions:
>NYC is full of earners who can afford to pay the equivalent of 15€ for fast food
>NYC is full of people who don't have time to cook their own food, making fast food a necessity rather than an indulgence
>NYC exists in a culture where sandwiches are regarded as a completely respectable dinner and not as midnight snack

If I were to undertake such a project, then I'd expect I'd have to sell scaled-down copies of American food for a third of the price because anything carrying a price of above 10€ is restaurant fare here.

Prices are super inflated in NYC, the second most expensive city I’ve ever been to behind London

I got a few menus from local places up, it'll give you an example of the kind of stuff AUTHENTIC wop-american places sell

lincroftluigis.com/lunch.html#menu2

jerseymikes.com/menu(this place is kind of a chain but could still be helpful

attiliospizzanj.com/uploads/Attilios_Tinton_Falls_NJ_Menu_Feb_2015.pdf

>tfw can actually pretend to have authentic food while burger

similar dream as mine. maybe a mini deli where they're managable.
>can't find any american food
>mostly jap or koreans restaurant
>no variety

Within walking distance of the downtown of the capital and largest city in the country, population 280.000, with just as many people communting to work and study here.

That would mean the average item on the menu at about 6€? That's actually still within the expected price range. Still, meat is probably much cheaper in the US, and the taxes lower.

I'm sure some of these dishes would act as 'cultural intermediaries' - a cordon bleu sandwich would help ease the culture shock for those who wouldn't be ready for the corned beef on their first visit.

Yeah, that's part of the reason i listed so many. Slovenia has different tastes than us so OP will need to get items they would actually like.

make a mix of sandwiches and call it the mutt

Katz's Deli is a tourist attraction, of course their place is super expensive

Well, thanks a bunch, I've saved it all for future reference.