Why did hogwarts have houses to begin with?

>muh 4 founding wizards
doesnt mean you have to split the students

why didnt dumbledore just stop voldemort in part 5?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qYCuN6rU4A0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dumb
ledore
upvote

>Harry inherits a townhouse and a vault full of gold
>Pay absolutely no inheritance tax
>We don't even know if Voldemort wanted to change this tax policy

Rowling is a fuckign hack.

Hermine was initially Ravenclaw
Ron Hufflepuff
Harry Gryffindor
Malfoy Slytherin

What do you mean initially? In her first draft?

>Hermine was initially Ravenclaw

Common misgiving, Ravenclaw is for witty and creative people, Hermione only believes in what she reads and is closed minded to everything else.

Ron was the quintessential Gryffindor

Malfoy was a terrible Slytherin

When will people finally realize harry potter is one of the most poorly thought out pieces of fiction that exists? Rowling didn't plan out any lore and didn't really care that nothing made sense. She just wanted the moment to feel right. Typical woman.

What a dull franchise. Some might even say it's the dullest.

it's a British boarding school custom. since wizards are so advanced, they adopted it centuries before Muggles even invented boarding schools!

Dumbledore was supposedly the most powerful wizard with the fucking elder wand and he still couldn't defeat Voldemort? wtf

If anything, Rowling should apologize for creating one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Most British schools have 'houses'. It's mainly for sports day

It's for children you low IQ female

I've only seen a couple of the films, so obviously i don't know what i'm talking about, but it always seemed very strange to me that the school consisted of actually warring factions, one of which was aligned w/ this dark wizard trying to kill kids. Wtf, why one school? Why not bad guys summoning this ancient murderous evil away from everyone else?

The reason is that she pulled the whole Deathly Hallows thing out of her ass near the end of the series as a MacGuffin, and so it didn't fit very well with what had actually happened in the story/lore so far.

I wish I couldn't tell it was the pasta from first glance so I get that sudden realization from the start of the second paragraph like I used to

Trips for truth and old pasta.

Actually, I'm surprised Sup Forums doesn't love this series since it's essentially about a bunch of wannabe nazis who get betrayed by a jew. And something about teenagers.

Maybe it's because it's all-out liberal and multicultural propaganda. Just a thought.

It's true. Nothing in the books makes sense. It's still fun for some reason.

>Harry Potter
>all-out liberal and multicultural propaganda
How sad is it to be you?

As others have stated most British schools have 4 different houses. Usually a few competitions between them through the year.

Mostly it's a convenient way to split the year as obviously you can't have the entire year in one class. Although usually subject classes will be merit based.

>A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen Harry Potter over a 100 times. I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities

Richard Harris

>all-out liberal and multicultural propaganda

Not really. Everyone in the books is pretty white and lower-middle to higher-middle class. Except some rich fucks, poorfags and token pajeets there's very little diversity.

I think it's just comfy thinking about going to a non-boring school in an old magical castle with your buddies. The story itself is not that inspiring.

Facts are just liberal propaganda.

So I just finished a Harry Potter marathon with my girlfriend and I've come to the conclusion (as an adult) that these movies are badly written and would get nit picked to hell and back had they been released in the present.

Characters find out information from sheer coincidence. Hagrad will spill a bunch of exposition to the 3 students (Harry Rob and Hermonie) and then afterwords go "ah I shouldn't have told you that". What a lazy way to progress the story.

Voldermorts story arc, plan, and the way he resurrects himself is overly complicated and silly. Why did Tom Riddle want to split his soul into 7 parts? What made Tom Riddle evil? He is literally just evil because these movies are black and white. They're babyish and simplistic.

Also, in the last movie, Harry Rob and Hermonie rob the gringards bank by using a spell to hypnotize the bank teller? Are you fucking kidding me? 3 students can rob a bank that easy and get access to items that are suppose to be extremely well guarded and kept secret? Why isn't every store in the wizarding world getting robbed by criminals like that?

Why doesn't Dumbledor just teleport to where Voldermort is and kill him for Harry? Or put him under a hypnosis spell and command that Volderment tell him where the horcruxs are?

Story falls apart when you start thinking about it, which means it's bad surface level story telling.

I will never watch these movies again.

Are you cucks serious? There are nigs and rasheeds and racemixing everywhere. Dean Thomas, Padma Patil, Cho Chang, Lee Jordan, Bem. The books also paint all of Slytherin so negatively that they invoke collective guilt on the entire house at the end, imprisoning hundreds of children just because they were sorted that way. The conservative wizard families are portrayed as literal Nazis.If Harry Potter isn't leftist propaganda, I don't know what qualifies in your mind. Nothing right of Michael Moore movies, I take it.

I hope this is some kind of troll pasta, 'cos those were some seriously awful points. There's plenty to criticise in Harry Potter, but at least try to put a modicum of thought into your criticism.

I always thought Dean Thomas and Lee Jordan were white. They're white, right? I never watched the movies past 3 because fuck that shit, but I thought in the books everyone with a properly ethnic name was white.

"You're an idiot" : The comment

Nothing to counter my points with. Just childish insults because you are too intellectually incapable of producing a quality argument.

Originally they were but Rowling decided ti change their race for the movie. She did he same for Hermione in the Harry Potter play.

>Harry has normal human attraction to an attractive female from another race
>This is considered liberal propaganda
This is your brain on Sup Forums.

The rest is just a cheap lie. We have no idea whether the Weasleys are conservative in the normal sense or what. Politics aren't really a subject.

And there WAS a huge correlation between Slytherins and people joining the other side in this literal civil war but I guess that's just liberal hatetruth again.

I'm normally happy to engage in discussions, but when I see a post that poorly thought out I recognise that it would be a waste of time.

>NEVEL:What? You wanna rob the Hogwarts train, are you crazy?
>B.I.G.: Yes, yes, motherfucker, motherfuckin right, nigga yes
>NEVEL:: What?! We're gonna get expell-
>B.I.G.: Nigga it's eighty-seven nigga, is you dead broke?
>NEVEL: Yes, but, but...
>B.I.G.: Motherfucker is you broke motherfucker? We need to get some motherfuckin paper nigga
>NEVEL: Yes it's the Hogwarts train, nobody's ever robbed-
>B.I.G.: Just listen man, your mother giving you money nigga? My moms don't give me shit nigga, it's time to get paid nigga. Is you wit me? *draws wand* Motherfuck is you wit me?
>NEVEL: Yeah I guess...
>B.I.G.: Alright then nigga let's make it happen then

admitting defeat... smart move. I'm too smart for you any who

The entire series is a series of Deus ex machinas. Every movie is the gang stumbling onto a problem and fixing it via "oh that magical thing we haven't told you about before and we will never mention again :^)"

It's kinda why it feels the main 3 characters feel so fucking shallow. It's because they don't really go through any arcs. Things just happen and it just happens to work out for them.

>imprisoning hundreds of children just because they were sorted that way

You didn't actually read the books.

My school in aus had sporting house's

Being split into "houses" is a thing in British schools. It's largely irrelevant outside of sports competitions though

Fuck you, I laughed.

When the school's huge as fuck you gotta split the students up

She wrote them as black in the books.

>put all the literal villains into one house

But why?

>a father of one of the Slytherin kids openly tried to murder a student on the fucking campus with a forbidden spell and nobody cared or found out I guess

Nice security you old fuck

>The entire series is a series of Deus ex machinas

This, basically.

Hey, remember when they could time travel? And they never used it to save someone's life? Yeah, that was great writing.

But the school isn't huge as fuck. Harry's year had 10 gryffindors, and let's assume that's average.
10 x 4 houses = 40
40 x 7 years = 280

My rural high school had twice that many students.

Should I read that big fanfic

My Immortal? Yes. It's great.

I personally like the movie where they made a luck potion that basically made you able to do anything you wanted and succeed.

I guess they just didn't need that later.

No I mean methods of rationality or whatever

I also remember at least in the books Snape brags about having some stupid immortality potion.

Guess he forgot to make that one or whatever.

Truly, JK is one of the greatest writers of our generation.

Don't remember the movie but in the book it's explicitly stated how hard it is to make it and how bad the side effects of overuse are, plus it's easy to detect. The time twisters are a much worse plot device and Rowling admitted as much

So from what we see, Voldemort is usually alone. Why didnt the Order of the Phoenix ever try to assasinate him?

Seriously, just have Snape tell him he needs an urgent one-on-one secret meeting and once the place where it will happen is known, just suicide charge Voldy with Dumbledore,Snape, Shacklebolt, Moody,Tonks,Lupin and Sirius.

No way he can kill all 7 without someone getting a lucky shot in

>inb4 muh Horcruxes!

Having Voldemort's body destroyed wouldve made hunting down the Horcruxes easier and not as urgent

Immortality potion? You mean the philosopher stone extract? They addressed that

>Harry's year had 10 gryffindors

Eight, actually, unless there were two more girls with Hermione, Lavender, and Parvati who were somehow never mentioned even once in the books.

The US release changed the race of some students from unspecified to black.

But that would take half a brain and even between them they don't have it.

I seriously suspect magic powers lower IQ.

>Slytherin is portrayed as the most Chad House of them all who are intelligent and cunning
>It's filled with inbred morons

???

I don't remember Voldemort being alone all that much. And I assume he can BTFO multiple wizards without to much trouble

Houses are a traditional thing with British and Irish grammar schools.

thats because theres a big power gap, Voldy is much stronger than Dumbledore, even Dumbledore says that even in his prime he wouldnt be able to compete with Voldemort, he is way powerful than Dumbledore ever was.

Grow up instead

I'll always have a (you) for this pasta.

But Chad isn't intelligent nor cunning. Chad is clearly Gryffindor - gets by on good looks and and abs.

Gryffindor is the Chad house IMO

How does that even happen, a powergap that big? That's silly.

I dislike the "power levels" in the Harry Potter universe

It makes no sense in the movie because as long as you can say the spell it appears to work. So why is any character better then any other? Also theres a spell that just straight up kills or disarms someone.

Every time I think that I've hit rock bottom in man-child-itude, I look back to the Harry Potter fandom freaks who are pushing 30 and still think the series makes relevant philosophical/sociopolitical statements, and I just laugh and laugh and laugh.

Obligatory reminder that Hufflepuff is comfiest house

No, it's seriously terrible.

They were black originally.

It's much more entertaining that the books. It's a bit too educational at the start but it gets less so as it continues. I stopped reading the official books after book 4 but I read all of HPMOR.

Some of them are just more gifted. And the stronger ones can cast spells without talking at all

tfw we won

Wizarding racism doesn't work like regular racism, though. There were black students in Slytherin as long as they had pure-blood wizard families.
For wizards, so long as you were 100% magical human, you were ok. And that honestly makes sense, because if you can literally bend the laws of the reality at a whim, then everyone else who can would seem pretty shitty.

>I don't remember Voldemort being alone all that much.
Book 5-7 hes basically alone with Nagini 24/7, he only shows up at the Malfoy Manor like twice in 3 books
>And I assume he can BTFO multiple wizards without to much trouble
hence why i choose the seven most powerful wizards in the Order. Moody,Shacklebolt and Tonks are God-Tier aurors and Dumbledore and Snape are the 2nd and 3rd most powerful wizards in the series

>make a glass of water your horcrux
>heat it up so it boils
>the water evaporates into the air

Your move Potter

you lying cuck.

That's what Alec Guiness said to some kid who watched Star Wars.

Same principle stands.

>Horcrux is now gone so you die
>Potter pisses on your corpse

Naruto> Hunger Games>Harry Poter

>being THIS dumb
This is your mind on rowlings poison lads

It's a children's book you fucking yokels don't look into it like it's the myth of sysiphus

The point of Hermione is that you see her acting all smarts and shit and you think "damn, why is she not in ravenclaw?" then you realize her courage or whatever bullshit value represents gryffindor is greater than her smarts even though she is smart as fuck. It's actually clever, I think at least.

And yet a lot of people love it. I'm not the biggest harry potter fan, didn't even watch all movies and read all books, but I fucking hate this special attention spergs give to building lore and fixing plotholes. It doesn't matter all that much, only aspies care about eagles to mordor and etc. It also makes it more charming to discuss meaningless shit like what OP proposed, whereas a perfectly crafted world only serves to neckbeards going "ok let me explain something about goblins, you see, in my world..."

Here's a better question:

What was the point of Hufflepuff?

>The Gryffindor house emphasises the traits of courage as well as "daring, nerve, and chivalry," and thus its members are generally regarded as brave, though sometimes to the point of recklessness. They can also be short-tempered.

ron did not have courage initially and he was NOT a ladies man at all, going as far as just ignoring a hoe when she was getting on his nerves.

Cannon fodder when the next wizard war inevitably breaks out, because wizards are retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYCuN6rU4A0 >>>>>>>>>> hunger games 3 part1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest of twilight =harry potter = naruto = game of thrones

Not every wizard is gifted even if they are chosen people.

It's life.

Every school has the lazy dude weed lmao crowd

Trump is Ron, bumbling on the surface but a true hero in the end.
Bernie is Dumbledore, old as fuck and worshipped by children who don't understand his flaws.

It serves huffling and puffing.

I would totally be hufflepuff, I'm a dumb coward who likes to just smoke all day everyday and shitpost. So fucking what, they are still wizards doing wizard shit and eating crazy candy, no need to get into wars when you have other brave idiots doing it for you.

>he doesnt know basic science

>Moody,Shacklebolt and Tonks are God-Tier aurors and Dumbledore and Snape

WHY CAN'T THEY HAVE NORMAL NAMES

Jesus fucking Christ

>ron did not have courage initially
>literally followed Harry into a bunch of deadly situations in book 1
>followed Harry into the Forbidden Forest at night to seek GIANT MAN EATING SPIDERS when he he has a phobia of spiders
>put himself before Harry when he thought Sirius Black was trying to kill him

But I bet you're so much more courageous.

The sorting hat likes to troll people like putting the biggest Chad in Hogwarts in Hufflepuff

C H I L D R E N S
B O O K

that makes a lot of sense actually
Hillary read everything she could have on how to win an election
then the chosen one comes along and kills the voldemort and wins the election
Donny Potter and the soon to be Prisoner the state

I recall reading a theory which makes a lot of sense proposing that students are sorted into their house based not on which traits they exhibit the most, but on which they value the most. That's why Ron and Peter Pettrigrew were both Griffondors despite not being particularly brave because they both looked up to brave people. That's why Harry wasn't sorted into Slytherin because, by asking not be, he demonstrated that he valued ambition and power less than his other values. Hermione as a Griffindoor makes sense too as she expresses to Harry just before the climax of the first book her admiration for his courage. It also explains Cedric Diggory being in Hufflepuff despite being so skilled, brave and intelligent as he was a stand up guy and clearly valued friendship over those other traits.

>applying science to fictional magic in a children's book

You fucking nazi

How did Wormtail jack off?

Well, people with low IQ would love shitty children's books.