Are there any examples of a webcomic in America getting so popular it got its own cartoon series?

are there any examples of a webcomic in America getting so popular it got its own cartoon series?

Other urls found in this thread:

bearmageddon.com/
youtu.be/9NXhPw4uWkA
thethreebarebears.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Adventure Time?

??

was it popular?

There are webcomics that got tv series but not because they were popular. It's because the creators work on popular shows like Adventure Time or Regular Show and they end up getting their pilots picked up.

yep

1. It wasn't popular
2. It wasn't a webcomic

Frank Cho got his start with Liberty Meadows
Also

So the key to getting your webcomic a tv spotlight is to just be an animator with your foot already in the door?

There aren't, but it's obvious that this is bait for an anime vs. cartoons thread since the last one is slowly dying.

I didn't even know there was one. I legit wanted to know.

Wasn't the manga remake of OPM by that extremely good artist guy what pushed it into the spotlight, anyway?

yes and then people started reading the shitty version unironically

Axe Cop

Yes. That's the current trend. If you worked on a cartoon that is popular, you have a good chance of getting your own show. So the animators who have been pouring their hearts into their work for decades are chopped liver.

SVTFOE technically.

Wasn't We Bare Bears one?

Wasn't Axe Cop a webcomic?

It didn't get popular as a webcomic.
There were just a few floating around before she tweaked it and pitched it to Disney.

We Bare Bears especially.

Well... yes. If you work on shows you are likely to get your own show.

"Trying hard" doesn't cut it.

Aventure Time was pilot of Nick. It was never a webcomic.
But after the pilot got popular on the internet, it was picked up by CN after some years.

People were reading the shitty version unironically before it got Murata upgrade simply because it's further along in the plot
that aren't is bad, but it's okay given the context of the manga
and the story is good which matters more than anything

>2. It wasn't a webcomic

Um yeah it fucking was. user literally posted a strip from it.

>2. It wasn't a webcomic
Yes it was dumbass.

Axe Cop. Got published, had a TV series with 2 seasons and a small toyline. The fad seems to be over tough and the author had moved on to do something else. I think he's a writer for Vegietale (or however you spell it) and he does another comic which I highly recommend even tough it updates really slowly :
bearmageddon.com/

youtu.be/9NXhPw4uWkA

Liberty Meadows was a newspaper strip.

Well a few people have posted Axe Cop, which seems to fit the bill from what I can gather. The comic got an animated series largely in part due to it's popularity, not because the creators worked on popular shows, allowing them to make a pilot and have it be picked up, like with We Bare Bears.

As of now, it appears Axe Cop is the only example of a webcomic becoming so popular that it was able to get an animated series. However I do feel that networks and/or streaming services will take more notice of webcomics in the future, as newspapers (which were the medium on which comic strips like Peanuts and Garfield were printed) die out.

Making a single comic page and posting it on the net doesn't make it a webcomic.

The creator of RPG World works for Adult Swim...

That's the closest analog I can think of.

Making 10 does, bitch.

thethreebarebears.blogspot.com/

This. Too bad it got cancelled after 2 seasons
who am I kidding. Season 2 was shit. I'm glad it got cancelled