Why do Africans give themselves English names?

Why do Africans give themselves English names?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_name
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert#Variations[4]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_(name)#Variants
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Like Muhammad?

Kek

Like Robert and Jacob.

But my name is Eduardo Lopez...

LOS

FORSAKEN

Because of the missionaries that made them all convert to christianity. While it's fun to poke at religions. You see all do the same.

Don't you think it's barbaric to force people to convert and give them names? Jacob, John, Mathew. Oh but nope not christians am I right bois?

This.

Religion play a important role in the names of a country.

+moderately well of Africans probably want their kids to be more westernised
and they'll probably use biblical names because they're christian as fuck

Christianity and the whole "I'm called X but you can use my baptism name.".
Some shame over backwards indigenous Names. Wanting a modern name.

It all varies based off the society and the person.

a lot of the continent is gonna go through some major cultural shifts because there's a fuckton of cultural, linguistic, religious hangups.

because they take their master name

Abhorrent post

Why do Anglos give themselves Hebrew names?

Jacob is Jewish name, user)

My name's Jacob and I'm not Jewish.

Even my name is really Greek

In america. Yes.

In brazil they where given generic surnames. Mostly related to jungle like "Silva" (latin for forest), and tree names "Oliveira", "Pereira", "Carvalho", "Salgueiro", etc.
Santos was a popular surname for converted one too. It seems to look that this practice is inherit from Iberia, where a lot of people care those names and where born in slavery.

go and brush up your history.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_name

"You are still called by your slave-masters' names. By rights, by international rights, you belong to the white man of America. He knows that. You have never gotten out of the shackles of slavery. You are still in them."

The hilarious thing is when latin americans do it, like being called Wilson Ford Sanches Lopes

Lol what? give a quick look in the most popular baby names from the south america. Most of them are "traditional" biblical jewish names. The rest are football players and actress...

You mean they don't name themselves after Simpsons characters?

Nigga, dominicans, colombians and venezuelans love to name their kids with the most retarded and weird names I've ever seen. It's like they have a contest or something.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert#Variations[4]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_(name)#Variants

Fuck off you utter clown we're talking about Africans.