When (and how) did Northern Europe surpass Southern Europe?

Genuinely curious.

17 or 18th century?

I may be wrong because i don't know a lot about history
I guess at the Industrial Revolution starting at the beginning of the 19th century
started in UK which was in a very prosperous time, and spread easily all over northern Europe because of how many and how easily accessible the ressources were, mainly coal, which allowed them to take a considerable "advance" (don't know how to say it) compared to the later developed Italy and Spain for example.

I will never play Ryse: Son of Rome

This. When the united kingdom started exporting industrial technology and chemistry go germany and northern europe people here realized they were sitting on literal mountains of resources.
Because Northern Europe didn't need to trade for their resources, they could just get them straight out of the ground they could just start building their industry right away.
So in reality, it's thanks to the anglos

The Islamic conquest of MENA really fucked over Southern Europe because they lost much of their foreign holdings and trade routes to the far East.
Also the threat of war was constant

> Sweden, Norway
19th century, thanks to Swedish resources used in the Industrial Revolution
> Finland
Mid 20th century, thanks to low population + being able to trade with both blocks
> Denmark
Interwar period, neutrality in WW1 and closeness to all warring parties made them rich

what happened in Spain that it is so poor despite not participating in the World Wars ?
i don't know anything about Spanish history

>i don't know anything about Spanish history

Faggot history class exist in French Schools

I didn't pay attention in history class

1815 is fall of Napoleon I. Not concerned

the same event that lead to the spanish colonization of toulouse, the civil war which destroyed our industry and cities.

So you don't know that the current King of Spain is from a French house ?

the dutch and the brits stole our jews and they created capitalism for them

Yes I know that

Define Northern Europe, France, and by extension Great Britain, were always strongly Celtic/Latin which makes Germany, Austria and the Netherlands the only "Northern" Europeans with a lasting global influence.

>Scandinavia
Not influential outside of Europe and mostly relevant in European history itself pre-modernity

When Russia and Sweden became strong.

Southern Europe became degenerate and started to racemix with west asians and niggers
Northern Europe stayed pure therefore they surpassed southern pansies
The rest is irrelevant.

Industry & social and economic welfare followed protestant movements. Catholics were still burning witches when protestant nations were more conserned with wellfare on national scale.

When we couldn't afford to fight foreigners we started a perpetual state of civil war until 1939

O B S E S S E D

Spanish Inquisition never believed in witches unlike wh*Toids, actually the only case we had was in Navarre, heavily influenced by protestantism and due the locals going hysterical

What your pic has to do with anything I said? A bunch of greasy shitskins.

Whatever you said, birdshit subhumanoid

Witch hunts were much more popular in protestant countries though you dumb finn
I hate Finland because of you

Yeah, they were dumb as fuck, at least we burned jewish and muslims that falsely converted to christianism, after all they were allies of the turk

Wouldn't even call us strictly Northern, but I guess it's a matter of view
Historically our trade, cultural exchange, wars... have been more focused to the west and south, with a few exceptions of course (Hanseatic League, German Order)

And heretics of course

It saved us the religious wars you had were 2 million people died. Also, people don't understand that back then Spanish Empire was formed by several kingdoms and the Inquisition was the only tool they had to reach everybody in everywhere. If interested read about the kings secretsry Antonio Perez.

Is France southern Europe?

With protentatism/without catholicism

also, in terms of what?

They may be the heart of Europe but it’s definitely not northern european

They are west and have the same cultural Roots than us and the Italians, it's only they have a stronger Germanic influence be the Francs. I don't know how to caste Based charlamagne, he loved his Classical culture.

depends how you see it
this is not a homogenous country

I don't like it when people make it about Southern Europe vs Northern Europe
Northern Europe is for friendship and hugs, and just because they can be very autistic and turn pink under moderate sunlight doesn't mean they're not our friends

goddamn i hate southies

The industrial revolution.

Northern people seem to do well with high technologies. Us included

>burned jewish and muslims that falsely converted to christianism
You didn't. A good portion of jews converted and were allowed to stay in Iberia. That's why 1 in 5 spaniards has kike ancestors.

Protestantism led to money and influence from the church being put in the hands of the government. These resources were invested in infrastructure for processing and exporting the abundant natural resources in the case of the Nordic countries, global trade in the case of the Netherlands, a gigantic empire for GB and military power for Prussia. Germany was always wealthy but Prussias military might unified its small kingdoms into one great power.

I believe this is one reason of many for the success of Northern Europe. When it comes to Southern Europe I don't think they have it that bad and if they do I don't know why.

You know that Protestants burned people?

EUROPEAN WALL WHEN?

>Northern Europe is for friendship and hugs

el suevo seniores akajakjkaja

It's not that bad at all, but this is Sup Forums where memes count more than reality. In fact, there are a lot of advantages to the South. Northern Italy is one of the wealthiest regions in Europe, most European alpha-level cities are in the South, some of the most relevant metropolitan areas for European economy include Madrid, Milan and Barcelona, we usually rank among the world's countries with the highest life expectancy and best healthcare, etc. But why look up facts when you can post anthropomorphic frogs?

As French Anons said, its because of the perfidious Anglo and the industrial revolution.

Also because France was extremely important for medicine, arts, and science during the 19th century while Italian, Spanish, Portugese and Greek (Ottoman Empire back then, I guess) contributions tapered off significantly.

Also because France, Britain and Germans claimed almost all of Africa together during the Scramble for Africa. That decisively put Northern Europe ahead of Southern Europe.

Industry became more important than farming