Tom Cruise got writers to re-write the Mummy script

>In the original script, Morton and the Mummy (played by Sofia Boutella) had nearly equal screen time. The writers also added a twist that saw Cruise’s character become possessed, to give him more of a dramatic arc. Even though Universal executives weren’t thrilled about the story — which feels disjointed and includes Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll — they went along with Cruise’s vision.
Honestly, Cruise's re-write of the script was absolutely fine and in fact: he probably saved it from being a total forgettable flick. Russel Crowe as Dr. Jekyll was fun as fuck and Cruise becoming possessed near the end and turning into a monster where despite him choosing to save the Blonde, he can never be with her and instead is cursed to stay far away from her. This was a great way to end the film.

If people are seriously blaming Cruise for this movie failing (even though it's doing very well overseas) as some of these articles are making it sound like due to the re-writes - they are entirely in the wrong. I really enjoyed the first and 3rd acts. It's the second act to me which struggled and the comedy with the ghost sidekick didn't work otherwise as soon as Crowe showed up, the movie really lifted itself.

variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

I feel like I'm the only person who thought the Tom Cruise comedy worked in this film. His little mannerisms, especially in the fight scenes had me chuckling a few times.

ISIS at the start was a little too real for what should be a swashbuckling adventure flick but outside of that the opening was very entertaining.

overcompensating, manlet retard

rude

Its already made $300m worldwide. They're fine.

>I feel like I'm the only person who thought the Tom Cruise comedy worked in this film.
No when Cruise tried to be funny, he was legit funny

>Cruise about to pick up some treasure
>Blonde looks at him and says "STOP IT"
>Cruise gives off a "What?" expression with his hands up high
It's the ghost sidekick that didn't work.

>ISIS at the start was a little too real for what should be a swashbuckling adventure flick
The Brendan Fraser movie has Rick fight Arab terrorists in the desert so what they did here is no different apart from it being in modern times so it can come off as more political

Also them showing the terrorists shoot and destroy ancient artifacts is literally what ISIS are doing nowadays so it was good to see some of this in this movie.

Like always: Cruise is Based

>ISIS at the start was a little too real
A lot of people don't know what they have done. It was a good way to show the public instead of MSM propaganda

>tripples the box office come second weekend
How does he do it?

>ISIS at the start was a little too real
That's the idea

>some people still don't think Tom Cruise is a consummate professional

>The Mummy does little more than reflect dark, Millennial political unease. Its Iraq War setting — in which characters playing American soldiers mimic the Taliban in violating the sanctity of anthropological treasures — evokes post-9/11 distress simply as a platform for violence: knockabout fight scenes and chase sequences.

As always... the only guy to properly critic this film and its important political themes that every other critic just ignores
is the one and only: Armond White

>Cruise he single handily saved this film from being truly forgettable by bringing in Russel Crowe, fixing up the 3rd act and making sure that the airplane scene was done in zero gravity
And you call this man not professional?

Cruise is someone who isn't just going to stand there and let a movie go to waste. Yes, there is still some bits he could have fixed up and improved upon but considering it all came down to him to make this movie work that the original script didn't: I gotta give him the utmost respect for him trying

Why is Sup Forums defending this movie so much? Jesus christ I've never seen people here doing damage control for any other critical flop, is it because of the constant Cruise fanboys this board has always had?

>doing damage control
*this much

>Why is Sup Forums defending this movie so much?

Sofia Boutella plays one of the best female leads I have ever seen, Cruise with his practical generosities, the story itself is absolutely brilliant and it makes me want to re-watch it despite it not being as good as it could have been but story alone this is a decent adventure movie

>critical flop
$300 million isn't a flop. It didn't do well in USA but overseas it's done great

How many times has thing guy brought up "post 9/11" in his fucking reviews?

>How any times does he have to keep stating facts
So many movies reference 9/11 like BvS so why shouldn't he bring it up?

Ghost in the Shell was good also. go KYS

>this movie failing (even though it's doing very well overseas)
Honestly America has very little influence on whether a film "succeeds" at this point. People are still so cocky that they think because it flopped in America it's just a flop in general. Fact is, Americans don't really go and see movies anymore. It's the overseas numbers that really matter.

so is this movie worth watching? I have a hard time watching a mummy movie without based brendan

>Ghost in the Shell was good also
I loved how they made it it's own thing and doing an origin story we never saw in the anime.

K I N O
I
N
O

he gets a check every time he brings it up, dumbass

Not really. It doesn't have the "adventury" feeling from the first movie. Plus I found the movie to be too short. It should've been at least an hour longer.

This is what you get for crossing Brendan.

Us Fraserheads will no longer take any negativity against Brendan.

I think putting an ongoing serious genocidal conflict into a light hearted adventure flick is too heavy. People should usually wait until after a war is over before making movies about it, IMO.

>so is this movie worth watching?
First act is pretty good, 3rd act makes up for the movie but it struggled on 2nd act but Based Crowe with his cocky accent was fun

>Plus I found the movie to be too short.
Yeah this. The pacing is really messed up and feels like there is an entire scene missing

>People should usually wait until after a war is over before making movies about it
So you saying, we should wait until ISIS are destroyed to mention them in movies?

What if ISIS is never defeated and we keep getting attacks in England over and over?

People like you are fucking pathetic. So we shouldn't show the world the damages that extreme Islam is doing to the world?

You can fuck right off you idiot

How many times does it have to be mentioned that this movie has more in common with the 1932 Mummy movie than it does with the Brendan one?

When does Evie in the 1999 Mummy ever become romantically involved with Imhotep after he seduces her and she accepts being the sacrifice until in the last minute she rebukes and destroys him?

The 3rd act of the Tom Cruise movie is so much like the 1932 one

Did he change his name from "Cruz" to "Cruise" because of Dolan Drumpf making it illegal to be Cuban last week?

Thanks Drumpf. A country that provides free healthcare for all is now our enemy and its affecting Hollywood A-listers. Sad.

They never should have made the b&w 1930s version. The Fraser version is much better, why fix what isnt broken

Most of the time you are trying to speak to someone that was born in 1997. You just can't win .

Why do I bother arguing with people on here who are so dumb when it comes to movies that it makes me wonder if majority on here actually watch movies or only come here to post memes.

I could mention a few things that movie goers SHOULD know but they don't for instance: who composed the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean the Black Pearl? If you say Hans Zimmer then you are 100% wrong. It was Klaus Badelt who was a friend of Zimmer and Zimmer took over with the second Pirates movie.

>t. guy who sits alone in the back row

Brendan IS the Mummy whether you like it or not. no one gives a shit about some old black and white movie grandpa.

no brendan no mummy. they've fucked his shit up for the last time

Domestic market doesn't matter anymore and that's a good thing.

Because Wonder Woman and pondering Tom hating "critics" give it unfair 1-2/10 scores?

how is it good, we get movies based on basic ass plots and CGI so gooks and frogs can understand what pablum CapeMan is spewing

Gooks don't know about Scientology.

Still better than feminism, blacks, white guilt, cuck pandering movies USA makes for domestic market nowadays.
They just don't care - they don't have USA news there to blow shit out of proportion and they love Tom.

This summer has been a real flop in general for Hollywood.

I hope it does well enough that Cruise makes another. I want to see super powered mummy Cruise fucking people up

I saw this movie today. The thing that amazes me is that I knowingly went into the theater knowing my 10.75 would be buttfucked by all the millionaires that made that movie and there was nothing I could do to stop it. it deeply upsets me

Not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Boris Karloff or Brendan Fraser, not even worth being mentioned in the same breath as Abbott and freaking Costello. The Hammer Horror versions are better than this shit.

I saw this last night and it was terrible. Four different people walked out during the movie and never came back and the cinema was nearly empty.
It just felt kind of stupid and empty, nothing much happened.
The mummy chick only killed 3 people, I know one was a baby but she got entombed for all time for that?
I kept waiting for it to get better or for something interesting to happen or for the mummy girl to do something really evil.
It fell really flat.

I thought the movie was utter shit but I love tom cruise, he looks like a cool guy.

>The mummy chick only killed 3 people, I know one was a baby but she got entombed for all time for that?
She killed the heir to throne so of course she will be entombed for that

And hey Tom saved the movie with Dr Jekyll and I found the 3rd act really good

Would rather watch Abbott and Costello than this shit.

I absolutely love the story of this movie. Yeah a shame it wasn't as good as it could have been but the casting for this was perfect

Eddie Hyde was up there with the GOAT when it comes to gleeful evil. I *wanted* him to get free.

China is a nation of plebs

I loved the scenes of Sofia and Tom together

I know he was heir to the throne and killing babies is bad, but the movie didn't make me feel like she was completely evil or what she did was that bad. I would have killed them too. And when the blonde chick was like "you're evil you killed people!" And she said to toms character it was a different time.
Some bitch near where I live drove a couple of her babies in a lake and killed them and got like 20 years.
The whole movie felt really off to me but if anything I mostly just felt sorry for mummy girl, she got the raw end of the deal.

>THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE IN ALLAH AN SHEEEIT

I didn't really like the blonde main girl.
The mummy was perfectly cast though, she was great.

I'm bad at explaining things but basically if they wanted me to think she was super evil she should have killed 20 babies.

Tom Cruise seems to have a lot of input on his films. The idea for Edge Of Tomorrow's sequel plot apparently was his too.

Wasn't that story based on a book or manga?

The director wanted people to be seduced by the Mummy. That was his plan so I guess it worked. The movie just did a bad job at making us care for Blonde girl

How did it fail?

It made 245 million dollars

light novel
it ended on a rather edgy tone, but the movie's far more positive.

I wish your mother aborted 1 baby

t. shill.

Eddie Hyde was up there with WOAT when it comes to gleeful evil. I *wanted* to leave the theater. take that you butt plugged shill

Yeah I wish my sister was aborted too.

>It made 245 million dollars
It's made an extra $50 million during the past few hours

>The mummy was perfectly cast though
Some of the best casting ever

>not choosing to rule the world with this

What was tom cruise thinking?

>He thinks movie studios keep 100 percent of the box office gross

Why do we allow brainlets to Sup Forums?

He wanted to make up for all his bad decisions but still... who cares when this stares you into the face and promises to be your wife forever

whats with the Stallone lip?

I thought they usually take how much it cost to make so that means they take $125 million from $300 million

Movie studios are left with 30-40 percent of the gross from foreign markets. So they need alot from foreign markets to cover their cost

They're gonna bring Ahmanet back? Right guys?

Guys?