Homestuck

there's a lot of dumb stuff in homestuck. but if you had to choose, what would you say is the single dumbest thing in the comic?
dumbest character, dumbest plothole, dumbest whatever. if you had only ONE (1) pick, what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10588775
mega.nz/#F!DlRQ0BJY!2MHUEyMj1WnI6ka1PHHeQg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Retcon.

Oh hey, I know that the whole finale of Act 5 was about "retconning the universe", but let's go more meta and LITERALLY retcon the story so I can have muh Spider Waifu back

mituna

This

strawpoll.me/10588775

The dreambubbles. Without dreambubbles being a thing, a lot of other dumb garbage would never have happened too, like the retcon, or the journey to the next session taking three fucking years of timeskipped awfulness.

Do carapacians have different traits depending on the species that plays the session?

>Slick is confirmed bi, but Jack has only been interested in women
>Snowman has blue blood while the kids' queen had red blood
>Jack killed the queen out of hate, while slick was able to have a breif black relationship with Snowman
>Caliborn's jack was paid in candy to assassinate Calliope, and cherubs love candy. I cantsee slick or the kids' Jack accepting candy as a payment.

I want to say Dancestors.

Without them you don't have Aranea's pointless villain arc, and without that you don't have the retcon. And without the dreambubbles being marred with their pointlessness, MAYBE they could have been something interesting.

At least it could have given Feferi something to do.

Making fun of the mentally diseased isn't very nice senpai.

The retcon ruined everything. All negatives about Homestuck tie back into the retcon. It is the alpha and omega of Homestuck's flaws.

homestuck 2.0 by FAR
>h-hey guys we know homestuck is over BUT LOOK HERES A B-LIST ACTOR AND HUSSIE PETTING A HORSE also we're gonna respond to fans more and plug-in fan-content actually wait no we're not

JUJUS

retcon still happens without aranea. as long as the juju is a thing it has to be needed, its a huge chekhovs gun. any other excuse for game over could have been found.

Thats clearly rose pretending to be john

>>Slick is confirmed bi
No he isn't. What?

The retcon. The dreambubbles may have had their stupid moments, as did all the teen drama and all the other shit people moan about, but the story was still pretty damn good up until Game Over imo.

The Retcon for sure, it was final solution levels of bad for the narrative and characters, which are pretty damn important in a story like Homestuck. The dreambubbles would be a runner up, but they're more misused than they are flat out bad, horribly horribly misused in a way that makes death have little to no impact.

What? Dude, slick loves candy. Remember the Scratch intermission where he filled his pockets with them?

Davekat

>baby using glasses
man those are some weak-ass genetics

10/10

>like a ship with no chemistry or even bantz
My biggest issue with the retcon is that, as of game over the character where all pretty much at their lowest and when GO happened they were finally getting their shit sorted out and making progress.
Take for example the conversation between rose and terezi on Rose's land. They finally realized what fuckups they were and resolved to change that to prepare for what was coming, they hit their low and were finally on the rebound. jokes about the monomyth aside, it was so refreshing to finally see them overcome their shit and move forward.
Then when the retcon hit we didn't have that anymore. It was just 'lmao all those problems were solved thanks to vriska' and when "everyone" meets up again, they were just normal. They really didn't have any stake in what was happening and did things just because thats what needed to happen for the story to end. There wasn't a low point followed by a moment of triumph or renewal. They were just the "same" dumb teens they always were.
They didn't learn and sure as shit didn't grow with the exception of Dave, but thats a whole other can of worms.
Everything after the retcon was just so phoned in and unsatisfying in the most basic narrative faction.
Like if someone gets punched off their ass and then gets back up, you feel good because they choose to get up and keep fighting, but in homestucks case, they just got tapped on the shoulder and kept going through the motions

Time for unpopular Homosuck opinions. I'll start.

>Dancestors weren't bad, just wasted
>Acts 1 through 3 aren't as good as some make them out to be
>DaveRezi is ok

8=D < Damara... Neigh... I trusted you.. With Cronus...

>Acts 1 through 3 aren't as good as some make them out to be
The man with no taste.png

I agree with all of this except for the Acts.

>Daverezi was okay
How is this unpopular? I thought that here especially, people liked the ship. They made a cute couple.

Hey, they're still good in all their in-jokey fucking about progamming joke filled glory, but nostalgia might be clouding some people's minds when they claim Act 1 is one of the best parts of the comic. Intermission is still 10/10 though.

REMINDER

DAVEREZI IS GODLY

DAVEJADE SHIPPERS ARE TRYING TO CORRUPT THE YOUTH WITH THEIR FUCKING SHIT GARBAGE

"IT DIDNT WORK OUT" IS JUST BREEDER PROPAGANDA

THINK
FOR
YOURSELF

#LOVEWINS
#DIVERSITY

i actually think daverezi is pretty great.

>They made a cute couple.
That we never got to see

I think it's near enough unanimously agreed upon that the retcon was a massive narrative fuckup and was the irredeemable point for the comic, from what it once was. I think your commentary on your read through actually helped show the threads at the time that not all of Act 6 was terrible, certainly it was better read archivaly than with live updates. But even still, when it got to the retcon it was just sad; sad reading through it, sad seeing you read through it and even sadder thinking about what could have been both with John's powers and the story as a whole after Game Over's massive stakes.

daverezi is living proof dave isn't black

don't you think terezi would have commented on his delicious chocolate skin if he was black?

She chose the clown and Vriska over Dave it's over man

Good point. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.
Hussie wrote TIDoMS, it's pretty safe to say it's canon.

They had great chemistry, but it's one of those pairings that we never got to see much of, any focus it was given was on the drama it generated with Karkat more than the two actual characters involved in the relationship. But all relationships in Homestuck are handled terribly, Hussie just has no idea how to write them and in his inability he somehow forgets that he can at the very least have the characters talk and do things together.

it's all johns fault
if john wasn't a person terezi/dave would have been LITERAL canon

>TO BE CONTINUED

Those two days are phrased as separate, the 'and' should show you this.

They still would have broken up

That doesn't mean he kissed Spades Slick, you dumb motherfucker

that's not implying that he had his first kiss with slick, are you actually autistic or just fucking around?

i'd say it's closer to knocknig someone on their ass, then having someone drag them off while another person wearing their clothes who looks similar but not identical walks up and starts pretending to be them

im on to you dogfucker
u cant hide behind anonymous forever

3>4>2>1>5.2>6>5.1

>deliberately implying implications

Act 6 for the most part was okay, but that's definitely where the cracks really started to shine through; all the shit with ghost further trivializing death, Vriska resetting on all the development we had to deal with in act 5, Arenea's bullshit, The Beta's getting shafted development wise, blueballing over the reunion, trivializing the empress & not letting a single living troll interact with her, completely dropping the ball on Jane, completely dropping the ball on the Jane & Jade are evil, VRISKA FIXED IT, etc.

It's true you weirdo. Daverezi is doomed to fail

Just face it man it was never meant to last

considering how terezi is a threesome slut Dave/Jade/Terezi could happen at one point in the epilogue tbqh

im reading the first act 6 intermission now and it makes me sad knowing all these guys died 8(

>terezi getting double stuffed
I can dig it

I WILL NOT BELIEVE YOUR LIES
JUST LIKE SOME GERMANS RESISTED HITLERS CHARMS
I WILL NOT BE HYPNOTIZED

TAKE THIS AS A SIGN PEOPLE
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

That would be great

that sounds pretty good

What? Can you explain?

STOP IT!

Oh for sure, I still can't wrap my head around the huge climax of Act 5 happening, all the huge events and character arcs beginning to reach their critical points and then nothing, we get a slow mirror of the initial acts with some new characters. I would have been fine with them if we'd been eased into them, but fuck me did that disconnect in pacing make me dislike all the Alphas and every stupid thing they did for quite a while. Then when we do eventually get back to the main cast, things were just off, huge developments happening off screen and we just have to go along with it and one interesting characters suddenly end up doing jack shit rip rose. There's so much more I could go into, as you said the cracks were painfully apparent at that point, but damn did the retcon just utterly nuke any redemption for the story in how they went about it.

you don't need terezi when you have reader

Stop it with this delusional fantasy you have

that part is just establishing crowbar as having a great memory. he remembers lots of different things, and the panel you posted is him talking about three separate ones

Is there anyone with Homestuck Vol. 10 that is willing to share it with a poor bloke?

Karkat must be cucked out of all possible relationships at once, otherwise the universe de-stabilizes and gets cancer

When this happens hopefully Karkat will off himself

yeah, check the bandcamp for a cheap download

Statement
>you remember your first kiss.
New statement
>and you remember that fateful night plain as day
New Statement
>the night you met slick

Have you literally never read a comic before on this comic & cartoons board?

>tfw karkat will never be soft-dommed by lalondes

I'm still so fucking butthurt about how the alcoholism thing was handled, what a shitshow.
Like instead of vriskagram we got to actually click the images and read the dialogue like the scratch intermission I would have been more okay with it, since then we can actually see the characters addressing and dealing with shit, but we didn't get squat.
I sincerely don't understand how people can unironically ship davekat because of it.

Give me a second to find my link

>Amelia
best taste

ranking act 6 on the same footing as the other acts is pretty absurd. its literally half the comic and subdivided 21 times. some of the individual sections like 6.3 or 6.6i2 are god tier fuckin quality as well

The 'and' means the two events are separate, just as the phrasing shows the day he first saw the Midnight City Skyline is separate from the day he had his first kiss, so too does it mean the first time he met Slick is separate from the kiss. Crowbar was just remembering specific meaningful events, he does that.

That's what you get for inadvertently getting your backup squeeze killed, now no one will put up with your shit.

Fuck

If I could afford it I wouldn't be asking here.
Shameful, I know.

>Give me a second to find my link
Thank you my friend.

>karkat dragging nepeta's headless corpse out of gamzee's fridge so her can fuck it

yikes

mega.nz/#F!DlRQ0BJY!2MHUEyMj1WnI6ka1PHHeQg
Enjoy

Thats the problem
There was to much shit happening during whats supposed to be the ending of the comic
For every conversation as good as "I don't want to die Dirk" there were pages and pages and pages of pointless bullshit that amounted to nothing.
Like as much as I enjoy caliborn, seeing explictly how he came into power totally neutered LE as a legitamite threat. Hell jack spent the majority of the comic running from PM but at leas the kids had a reason to want to stop/fight him unlike Lord "why do I even care about some ripped green ghost cleaning house" English

>Never addressed the fact he was directly responsible for abandoning sollux and sending the meowrails to their death against the clown

what happened to eridan's legs

>ROSE: What outcome would you like the most?
>KANAYA: I Would Like To Have The Orb Again And To Keep It Safe This Time
>KANAYA: And I Guess To Not Be A Total Failure

rest in peace

EASILY my least favorite thing in all of Homestuck, and I think somewhat emblematic of the tone shift that made so much of act 6 shitty, is the change in Dave's attitude towards Bro leading up to the final battle.

In the early acts Bro was shown to be a deranged psychopath and a completely unfit parental figure. But it was FUNNY. It was a JOKE goddammit. Dave's admiration of his creepy bro only made it funnier.

Act 6 revists Dave's childhood but this time takes it all at face value and with no humor at all. Dave's messed up home situation stops being a joke and becomes a big fucking traumatic ordeal.

Basically, Act 6 has us revisit one of the funnier bit from the early acts, only this time wagging its finger and telling us No, This Is Not and Never Was Funny, You Should Not Have Laughed. It buys Dave some emotional pathos by trading away the goofy shit that made him a fun character in the first place.

thanks, nigga

How much of a person's body does Jane need to revive them?

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

Quality shitpost

what was eridans role in the story anyway

Even for a joke you could tell dave dodnt really catr for his home life and was kust putting on a facade. Or you would if you actually read the fucking comic

When was the last time Dave rapped onscreen?
Was it with the Blue Blood?
you also forgot the fact that despite being bro and sis dave just straight up abandoned rose to her drinking problem and practically never interacted with her again.
Like in act 6 I can only recall like 2 conversations in the walkarounds and then the last conversation with roxy at the very end.
After all that buildup and legit intimacy between the two they just stopped.

Fuck this comic man

>that image
See thats the shit I'm talking about, after act 6 started did the beta's have any moments like that between them again?

killing feferi and giving kanaya sue powers

time for dersecest's version!

Yeah, sure, but the point is that it was funny back then and now its a big sad snorefest

Oh man if it had been handled like that the whole thing could have been so much better. I loved the Doc Scratch scrap book panels, the snappy variety of vastly different situations with different characters was just so in-keeping with what I loved about Homestuck.

Doing that as a way of quickly showing the key events of the 3 year journeys could have been amazing if they were thrown in among the Alphas whole session setup spiel, perhaps having Calliope bring them up or some shit.

Either way, seeing all those characters we cared about changing and dealing with the massive events of the end of Act 5 surely would have gone down swimmingly with the fans. You'd be able to have a variety of different combinations of interactions to help advance character development, like Rose's alcoholism issues getting worse as time went on or the whole Dave, Terezi, Karkat and Gamzee situation and the actual fucking fallout from Karkat getting Equius and Nepeta killed. I wanted Terezi to chew him out so bad over that, or even better to see him hide his involvement and really choke up about it, that way we'd still get to see Karkat's flaws despite his more positive actions towards the end of Act 5. The lowest point of the character arc as such, that'd be a solid motivation right there to try and improve himself genuinely without requiring him to act like a completely different character for seemingly no reason as is the only way davekat works because people selectively forget both their previous characters and antagonistic dynamic.

This.

>dancestors
>Namco High

The dancestors came around when Homestuck was near the height of its popularity, as relevant as it had ever or would ever be.

Namco High had nothing to do with Homestuck.

real talk people not being able to accept that something can be taken both seriously and as a joke at the same time is why i dont fucking go to tumblr. isnt this place supposed to be different. why are we saying the exact same shit with barely a different angle on it. of course youre allowed to laugh at child abuse if its funny you moron. that doesnt make it not child abuse. but it being child abuse doesnt make it not funny either.

Its still funny. Now we just find out it fucked dave up for real.

Why are you still namefagging. Nobody cares anymore now that you hate homestuck as much as the rest of us

see

>Hell jack spent the majority of the comic running from PM
Oh my god that actually happened, that is a thing which happened in the comic. How the fuck did that happen? What the fuck.

This image is extremely disorienting.

I love Tavros as a character and he's a much better person than Karkat is. It's also extremely fucked up how everyone goes 'le weenie' like they don't understand the entire reason he's one is because of Vriska. And even ignoring that, it doesn't justify the HORRIFIC abuse he endured.

Sollux/Feferi >>>>>>>>>> Aradia/Sollux

Calliope had a lot of potential but should have remained a tragic character.