Why did Will start crying when he was told that it wasn't his fault? I didn't understand this scene

Why did Will start crying when he was told that it wasn't his fault? I didn't understand this scene.

He was carrying around a lot of guilt from his trauma. It was a major emotional breakthrough.

because it wasnt his fault

why didn't someone tell Williams it wasn't his fault and give him a hug?

It wasn't Will's fault, the fault did not lie with Will. Will was faultless.

this scene always stuck with me. i've tried this exact technique on a few people, but never get anything out of them, other than confusion.

You've TRIED it? In what context?

Greentext motherfucker

It's not your fault OP

It's not your fault

>2017 remake
>everything is your fault you cis white male

Anyone who shitposts Good Will Hunting should be stripped nude and placed in a stockade in the middle of Times Square.

The dude was abused as a kid and judging by his reaction to "it's not your fault" implies he was probably molested.

I broke my mom's rib when I was 15 because she tried to stop me from watching TV on a school night. Was it my fault?

It's not your fault.

Its not your fault. Op
Its not Your Fault Op

I agree. She should've raised me better.

Fuck off mate. It's about as smarmy a movie as you can get. Fucking Matt Damon wrote it.

The abuse he's suffered. Although I agree that it could've been contextualized a LOT better. I never got the impression Will blamed himself for the abuse he suffered.

Erectile Dysfunction

You didn't say it enough times

I think most kids that do get abused blame themselves in some way. Maybe not because of their own abuse, but seeing their siblings or parent abused and not being able to stop it.

I suppose it's based off of a generalization that abuse victims tend to blame themselves rather than their abusers.

"Children will invest as much energy as is needed to ensure the preservation of family harmony, even if it means sacrificing themselves to do so by developing psychological disorders." -John Bradshaw

Van Sant's fault.
Fucking hack.

>i've tried this exact technique on a few people, but never get anything out of them, other than confusion.
Oh my, this is ALL THE EGGS tier autism.

It's not your fault.

Oh I don't doubt that at all. But they didn't contextualize at all in the film. Will's smaht, he'd know none of it was his fault.

HAHAHAHA

I think it can be assumed without really contextualizing it, although it would have been helpful for some viewers. And it's a completely different thing for him to be aware that it's not his fault than someone confirming it.

Haven't you ever 'known' something but it doesn't change how you feel?

Book smaht and self knowledge are two different kinds of intelligence.

>I didn't understand this scene.

You're at least mildly autistic.

Van Sant I already said I don't doubt at all children believe bad shit that happens to them is their fault. I just think it should've been better shown, rather than us assuming shit. You're breakin' mah balls here I ain't de academy I ain't got not oscars on me.

Troo.

why would he feel guilty if it wasn't his fault retard

I appreciate your honesty, your post is refreshing.

>smarmy
Who the fuck uses this word?

>it's not your fault

That phrase is synonymous with what you say to people that were raped.

You knew Will was abused as a kid through the movie but it wasn't till the very end that you come to find out he was molested.

This is why nobody gives a shit about you.

Wait, it's an established thing to say that to rape victims?

That fat blob of shit Bobby Kelly

YOU KNOW WHAT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I've watched enough Law & Order SVU to know this is true.

10/10 post user

Will's guilt and self-blame manifested in his violence and self-sabotage.

I
CAN'T STAND IT
I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT

most people on Sup Forums are victims that haven't figured this movie out.

Everyone on Sup Forums is a to intelligent being a success?

chocolate nipples Sup Forums milspec unforstanding dimension hobo.

>Therapist is mentally insane person

Color me surprised.

I want to hug and comfort young and handsome Matt Damon. I want to kiss and sex young and handsome Matt Damon.

Pretty much, yeah. Maybe not that exact phrase but something with the same meaning.
Spend 10mins educating yourself on how rape victims feel (yes, real rape, not the 'I had sex and now I regret it' kind) and you will learn that guilt and blaming themselves is one of the most common traumas.
That is also why such a large percentage of rapes go unreported. The victim blames themselves and feel like it was their own fault.

Same here, OP. Almost everything else resonated with me but this fucking "its not your fault" line still baffles me.
It isn't even needed. Will could have been a perfectly fine misfit and work as a character without the molestation

That's something that bothers me that writers do. They always have to "explain" characters being how they are with a troubled past of some sort. Some people are just like that, without having to have gone through anything drastic.

i've tried this exact technique on a few people, but never get anything out of them, other than confusion.

i've tried this exact technique on a few people, but never get anything out of them, other than confusion.