ITT: overrated films

ITT: overrated films

Other urls found in this thread:

thermidormag.com/inherent-vice-and-virtue/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, congratulations on being an idiot. I guess.

you start op

Good choice, it's boring shit.

Other overrated films: everything by Hitchcock.

Are you serious? The direction in Chinatown is tight as fuck. A great example of visual storytelling, arguably top 5 in this regard.

You first dude

And escape from NY

Just couldn't stand the bull shit, too much hippie garbage, and the politics were being pushed dreadfully by filthy boomer scum. The only redeeming quality was prime Arnold being naked for like 2 minutes, but even that couldn't make up for the meandering Jew in this piece of shit.

Is it supposed to be hilariously bad?

I seriously dont know what you want to watch.
Got some Maltese falcon vibe and its good.

I agree that it's overrated, but not necessarily for the same reasons you do.

It just didn't really stand out as being special.

Agree. I love John Carpenter, but Big Trouble was cut rate Indiana Jones even back in the 80s.

No way. The editing alone is amazing.

The Maltese Falcon is serious overrated too. Noir is a boring genre in general. Exceptions are Billy Wilder's movies, and The Third Man (purely from a cinematography point of view).

desu I like To Live and Die in L.A. more, but that's good too.

wrong.

they drove two speeding cars down a live,
crowded street in New York city.

Also, Popeye Doyle is a beast.

The problem with old crime movies is that we get 30 of them every week these days.

Don't forget Network.

Everything by Paul Thomas Anderson
Everything by Damian Chazelle
Everything by Alfonso Cuaron
Everything by Guillermo Del Toro
Everything by Ridley Scott sans Alien and The Duellist
Everything by Alejandro Inarritu
Everything by Disney's Marvel Studios
Everything by Stanley Kubrick sans Strangelove The Killing
Everything by Gaspar Noe
Everything by Harmony Korine
Everything by Michael Haneke
Everything by Darren Aronofsky
Everything by James Gray

>Everything by Ridley Scott sans Alien and The Duellist
Thelma and Louise is better than both of those.

Absolute fucking pleb

I agree on the falcon but you are talking trash now.
It seems to me you have specific taste and call shit everything else.

kys

I am about to watch North by Northwest but yes I would say except for vertigo his stuff is just ok.

Aw hell no. More relevant than ever.

Thelma and Louise is faux-feminist schlock trash

Absolutely patrician sans Prometheus and Covenant not being in the exceptions of Ridley Scott

You want to kiss me?

Vertigo is his best and it's still overrated.

The feminism is negligible compared to most modern movies. It's easily his most entertaining work.

Disgusting

Vertigo, Rear Window, Notorious, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, and Psycho are all masterpieces.

God damn you people are never satisfied.
I have enough of this shit at home,im out.

>Rear Window
Possibly the most overrated movie of all time. I watched the whole thing because people said it was good. I was sure there was going to be some clever twist like in Vertigo. But then it ended and it was straightforward and boring the whole time. What a waste of time.

Of all those I'd actually say The Third Man is the most overrated. Even from just a cinematography standpoint, while there were nice instances of shots and lighting, the constant Dutch angles were distracting, and the camera was never allowed to explore. The sewer was an amazing set, it could have been much more beautifully shot in my opiniom
Inherent Vice, Eyes Wide Shut, and Julian Donkey-Boy are hardly overrated. Good call on a lot of those, but those 3 directors stand out far above the rest

Nah, Puaul T. Anderson is pleb shit

>constant Dutch angles
It's not Natural Born Killers

>camera was never allowed to explore
i.e. it wasn't slow and boring

Prometheus was hot garbage
And Covenant was worse than Prometheus

>faux-feminist

No, it's feminist, plain and simple.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, but it's old-fashioned "equal rights for women" feminism so it's not offensive like SJWism.

you seem to have missed everything the movie was about
Rear Window is a film about making films

It's about a retarded criminal with no common sense getting caught by people we have no reason to care about.

it has Nicolas Coppola in it, so probably yes

Agreed. Rear Window is good and entertaining but kind of one-note. What gets me is a lot of people who cite it as their favorite Hitchcock go on to trash Vertigo. I don't fucking get it.

>vulgar autuerist
I agree with early PTA being quite overrated. But The Master was very good and Inherent Vice is great
While I disagree that movies that take time to focus on visual storytelling are boring, I'd agree that doing so in The Third Man wouldn't fit the tone. The camera still felt stilted to me, and the movie managed to bore occasionally on its own

Why do people like Vertigo?

But it's led by two qts and doesn't go into full-on man hating (and shows how the protagonists are equally flawed).

you're still missing the point
the story is not the point
Hitchcock showing us how films are made is

This steaming pile of pretentious horse shit.

I actually sat through this entire fucking thing.

Bunch of nauseating Euro trash.

Why though, The Master and Inherent Vice were bland and didn't address their subject with anything original or interesting. Seen it before, done better.

anything by tarantino
anything by the cohen brothers
anything by nolan

oh and anything by dario argento

>done better.
Names?

There are no technical details at all. It doesn't cover things like the transition to sound films as in Sunset Boulevard or Singin' in the Rain (both great and highly entertaining). The only "showing us how films are made" is "film-making requires watching people a lot". That's so trivial there's no way it can sustain a film.

>Why though, The Master and Inherent Vice were bland and didn't address their subject with anything original or interesting

Not him.

Not a fan of IV -- I do need to rewatch it, however -- but The Master did great, I felt.

It's not about really "addressing" the subject: it's just following characters' lives. I can see why people disliked it, but I loved it. It was an interesting time in the US and had interesting characters.

I don't think The Prestige is overrated. It's Nolan's best (ie. good but not great) and generally gets as much praise as it deserves.

I'm not sure how you found them bland. To each his own, but I found both to be vibrant films, thanks mostly to the phenomenal acting. The Master was a very emotional film, and Inherent Vice was a fun, dizzying mystery. The latter especially is just hilarious and gets better each rewatch

Momento is his best.

Sure is some shit opinions in here

I thought Chinatown was boring as fuck

uhhh fuggg, uhhh i... was just memeposting sry

PTA's portrayal of man as an animal really didn't hit it off. It was cynical in its approach towards Joachin phoenix, and hence made larger indictments of society.
The acting is good, but its the same thing with There Will be Blood. Good acting can't hold up a film that lacks an interesting perspective. I don't know what your politics are, but I liked this film review.

thermidormag.com/inherent-vice-and-virtue/

Eat shit you fucking niglet and formulate an original opinion that you can defend before vomiting your thoughts onto my Haitian Voodoo Inspection forum you shitcunt.

that's not the only thing though
another thing is for instance the transition from theater to cinema, the scenes of him looking at the apartment complex opposite his window especially exemplify the tableau and mise-en-scene typical of theater while the ones inside his house are in direct opposition to those and remind us of the techniques that are exclusive of cinema
I'm sure there are essays about Rear Window that explain exactly how it is a meta-film.

You can't even spell Joaquin Phoenix nigger, go fuck yourself.

You're right, the real kino is part 2.

>calling the best working jews overrated

So it's some pointless postmodernist bullshit.

What's your problem with Vertigo?

that reminds me, woody allen's body of work is overrated as well

Nothing, I was trying to start discussion and failed.

done in the 50's, that's quite impressive
It's not pointless at all, the point is to make you think about the 'magic' of cinema as a whole and you can say what you want of Hitchcock but not that his films aren't masterfully made, to me Rear Window is his best film because it's quite interesting to see how a filmmaker of his caliber makes his films

Fuck you Anglo/English speaking subhuman

Interesting review. However, he seemed to take issue with the story, and that would fall as a criticism of Pyncheon, since the film is just an adaptation. I suppose then he could say the filmmakers condone the message, but then we're criticizing the film on politics, not cinematic merit. IMO, Inherent Vice is film with a mystery that's fun to unravel, heaps of cool characters, and a vibe that's a mixture of paranoia and nostalgia at the end of an era. I'm not sure what you meant about "my politics", I lean conservative if that means anything, but Inherent Vice is, to me, at its core a fun, comfy experience. I suppose we diverge on our want for an interesting perspective as I found TWBB to be a good film as well

Fucking hell, there is so much shit taste in this thread. Now I understand why the catalog is flooded with capeshit and Sup Forums bait.

Fellini's best movies, imo, are 8 1/2 and Amarcord. Well, to be fair, I never saw his early work like La Strada or Nights of Cabiria. La Dolce Vita is a great movie, although it is a little too slow moving for my taste.

Most overrated Western: The Searchers or Once Upon a Time in the West?

Both are painfully slow and boring, with a run time about twice as long as it needs to be. I think The Searchers is most overrated, because at least OUaTitW has some good harmonica playing.

>I never saw his early work
get to it then

>but then we're criticizing the film on politics, not cinematic merit
Are they not one in the same? PTA has some technical talent, which is wasted on the political message of his films in my opinion. I'm glad it doesn't stop you from enjoying something which I consider to be rather liberal. Its important not to dismiss art because of its politics, but to judge its merits. However if the politics are inseparable from the art, it must be judged accordingly.

Vertigo is probably the worst of his films. What an insanely dumb plot.

Sup Forums sure has some 8th grade drop out level taste in cinema

It's Sup Forums. There's always at least gone guy here who gets offended by anything more feminist than Sharia law.

This movie is incredible

Why did this win Best Picture, let alone any Oscars?

I don't give a shit about the rest but Korine is great

You fucking motherfucker, I will fite you.

PISTOLS AT DAWN, MOTHAFUCKER

good thread

DUDE THE ONLY WAY A MOVIE CAN BE ART IS IF IT'S REPULSIVE LMAO

You are one of the most based and patrician guys to ever post on Sup Forums.

Only thing is, you're missing Charlie Kaufman.. And I personally disagree with Kubrick, but he's the only one

The only people who don't like Vertigo are autists who think plot logic is all-important

He's competent at setting a tone but most of his films lack direction.

>I'm sure there are essays about Rear Window that explain exactly how it is a meta-film.
There's a great video essay where they composit all of the rear window shots of the building into one big image made from the smaller tableau. Its pretty impressive and pulls the movie out into another dimension.